Why aren't millennials buying houses?

Why aren't millennials buying houses?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HnTW7FnD41w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Everyone I know outside Cali who is my age owns homes. In Cali no, maybe half own houses. I think they plan on moving outside of state eventually.

Millennials that live in affordable areas do.

Millennials that do not live in affordable areas do not.

Context: This is in a shitty area of Seattle.

500k for a cuckshed. Wtf

Because houses are unaffordable here for anyone working even a middle class wage.

lol thats 5 grand out in the boonies of michigan

chris pontius was always my favorite on jackass. wild boyz was dope too

lol chris was one of the best jackass members
youtube.com/watch?v=HnTW7FnD41w (16:09)

My main reason is that I am not ready to take on property when I don't know where I plan to settle. I've lived in a few states, and they all suck so far. Couldn't imagine being tied down to one, even if it's just to manage the property from afar.

Because the fucking kikes are jacking up real estate costs.

they are already in debt 6 figures (student loans) and can't get a loan for another 6 figures (house in the burbs) while making 20-40k at their entry level jobs
banks won't generally finance a home loan for less than 100k....btdt
all of the women of child-bearing ages who went to college are likely to be saddled with 6 figure debt...they won't settle down to breed until the debt is paid off
men won't settle down and breed until their debt is paid off and they have a house...that puts them at 40+ (as society is dictating)...so a small house and one or two children is enough/normal
women are doing the same thing as men (as society deems them equal to men) but they are finding that they can't have kids at 40+, at least not without spending a small fortune just for the chance....so they can't afford to buy a house ever and live in an apartment with one child
single people don't want or need a house in a community...a condo or apartment is easier....
without thriving families, there is no need for homes and communities
so the homes are abandoned, the communities fall apart, and young people gather on the internet wondering what happened to the life they thought they would lead...that is, when they're not distracted with vidya, hollyjew, sports!, politics, and !news!....

Because there were no recent wars that destroyed them.

My family has a couple of houses they built themselves after ww2, why would I need to buy a new one?

i remember thinking this guy was jacked lmao

jobs that pay enough for a house are too scarce.

>Why aren't millennials buying houses?
Because poor minorities are moving to the suburbs and richer millenials are moving back into cities.

Why spend 20k in property taxes and also have to repair a house when you can spend 15k/year in rent and also be close to anything you might want and better shipping rates for online shit?

It's the land. Reason an apartment in new york city costs less than some chucklefucks forty acres in alabama.

Also mobile homes like that are easy to convert into more permnanent houses over time.

I used to think the reason was only financial.

Now I believe it's mostly cultural.

Larger percentage of millennial gen is simply not interested in getting house because it implies/leads to 'settling down'.

Because they aren't worth it. I'd much rather buy land and then build a homestead.

Because they're waiting for someone to hand them one for free

I just bought a townhouse in a white area. All the houses under 400k in my state are shitty or in recently niggerfied areas. Thanks Obama

Because houses are fucking expensive, and you need to have 15% in the bank to get a (((loan))). Like i could probably save 100k norwegianBux a year, if i didnt own a fucking car or had to go to the dentist. So if i was aware of my future reality as a 20 year old retard, i could probably have bought a house by now, but i wasnt, so i cant. i spent my 20's renting an apartment and going out being a degenerate.

As a 32 year old who is now realizing all the mistakes i've made the past decade, i'd say put your 20's on hold until you're 35 and a home owner.

They are it's all a big fuckin media scam to make you dirty street shits take a dump on everything
get out of the basement

Bought a 18K trailer 20 minutes from the beach, mortgage was literally half of what I was spending on rent on a 1 bedroom apartment and I already paid it off. Most of my friends I grew up with are stuck in 20-30 year mortgages or still paying the landloard jew

Rapture will happen in about ten or twelve years, not enough time to settle and create a family for me so i rent a small studio.

why aren't millennials buying cheese?

Look at Vancouver, Canada. Who wouldn't want to live there? Low crime, tech, movie industry, good chools and universities. Population of the city proper is about 600,000.
And it's a gorgeous city - billions of trees, parks, flowers, mountains, ocean; never too cold, never too hot.
But...
An average detached house in the city of Vancouver, Canada costs about $1.8 million USD.
Average detached house on the Westside of Vancouver, about half the city - the half where you'd want to live - costs about $3.9million USD. That's average, ffs.

Need some milk for your cereal? Drop by super-popular Stongs' Market in the Dunbar neighbourhood to pick up a gallon of grass-fed organic milk for $14.
Want to join the Arbutus Club so you and your kids-to-be can go swimming and play tennis and take drawing classes and such? Entry fee is $50,000.
Stop by a government liquor store for a bottle of nice Belgium beer for just $3.50 - $6 a bottle.

What to enjoy leisure activities like the rest of your neighbours?
Skiing - a single lift ticket at Whistler costs $140 for one day, and of course you'll need all that expensive equipment...
Sailing - first you're going to need to buy a sailboat, then a place to moor it.,,
Gardening - pretty cheap, right?Well, first you need a garden...see: House Prices, above.
And no wonder the city is full of Lamborghinis, Audis, Bentleys, Teslas, Volvos, McLarens, Rolls-Royces, Mercedes, Ferraris, Range Rovers, Maseratis, Porsches, etc.

If you aren't rich you just can't live here. It's ridiculous. Even small condos are over $1million.
How the fuck is someone coming out of university supposed to be able to live in this city???

No idea how long you've been "not sure where I'm settling" and "renting" but just imagine how much money you've wasted paying someone else's mortage + spending money.

If it's more than 2-3 years grow up and put down roots bro :)

Because they have too much debt.

They take 4 year $45,000 a year gender study vacations then take jobs they could have gotten with a high school diploma. That 180k should have gone to a loan

Horse shit.

Idk, something tells me a generation that has to play with legos and play-doh before their liberal-arts midterms / finals probably is just shit to begin with and probably plays a large part into why they can't afford shit. Oh, and they were also dealt a pretty bad hand by society, but shit you can't argue they have SOME part of it.

Because they are a guinea pig generation and the only way they can give meaning to their lives is to die cheaply enmasse for a global armed revolution for a greater cause. i.e ISIS.

Houses, marriage, relationships, families, jobs, careers, politics to them is all the usual nonsense gibberish that foolish bored sinful people talk about because they are cursed by God for not being attentive enough to their sins and the sins of those around them.

I'm away from here for 6 or 7 months and when I come back everything is pretty much as it was when I left, including these exact threads.

thx op
it's good to be home

Broker here. They don't know how. Basically they don't know what loans exist and how to qualify for them. Go talk to a lender, it's free. They'll tell you what to do.

lelelelelelelelelelel
name faggotry is from the "fuck dave" thread on /ck/

Too expensive

>/thread

buying a house to live in is for debt slaves, i live in a luxury apartment, everything is done for me, i can move when i want, i have some money in reits that rent to people but other than that i don't invest in real estate, i like my money more liquid, you only live once, why live like a debt slave when you can be free to enjoy life

Cause some of us will probably wind up owning the house our parents paid off. Wagie wagie go make my tendies

You act as if buying a house is always the right decision, no matter what. There are dozens of reasons not to buy a house even though you can afford it.
Why aren't Millenials buying houses? Because they're not suckers.

Because they believe a house should be like a participation trophy.

My theory is that technology and more specifically, connectivity, makes real meaningful relationships more difficult for people to maintain because true self reflection becomes too difficult to develop and utilize.

A partner is what has driven young people to buy houses for ages.

Because we inherit them.

no more than any other generation

We are kike. I live in California in 26 and own a home. fuck off faggot

Oh my God I wish death upon you in the most horrid way possible.

My kids think they are getting our house. I told them hell no I was selling it and using that money to enjoy my last few years. Ungrateful little assholes got pissed. They never put $0.01 into it. So I hope you die. I hope you get captured by some shitskin, and I hope you abused on the internet for all to see.

I can't. It's not a buyer's market. Homeowners have become an investment class. I lack the funds, and I was born too late to buy into that market without an inheritance. It just makes sense to live with my family in a multigenerational household and pool resources so that maybe one day we can pay off the fucking mortgage after almost 100 years.

Because most of the ones that the average potential buyer can afford get snatched up by flippers who spend $10k on a poorly done kitchen remodel so they can relist the same house for +$50k a month later.

don't worry, his parents will "reverse mortgage" that motherfucker right out from under him

They arent buying houses because they have no fucking money

cars are too expensive, rent is too expensive, wages are too fucking low, and they are burdened by student debt.

WHO can pay $400 a month on a vehicle (car + insurance), $200 a month on healthcare, $600 a month on rent, $400 a month on student loans, + gas + food + bills, AND STILL SAVE TO AFFORD A MORTGAGE?

REEEEEEEEEE

EVERYTHING IS FUCKED UP

truth, flippers are the scum of the earth, you oughta see some of the shoddy shit they cover up, doesn't have to last, just has to look good enough to trick the wage/debt slaves

That's right my neet brother. It will feel good when we have a nice comfy home to ourselves while wagecucks are busy Slaving away for their cucksheds to impress Stacy and let her have a place to be blacked.

Because the boomers destroyed our chances at getting them.

>yes I like 1 reasonable house outside of niggerville please
>place that'll just be 20% up front

>t. Boomerfag

Dunno, OP. Its a mystery.

>$400 a month on a vehicle (car + insurance)
why are you driving a new car idiot?

> $200 a month on healthcare
why are you insurance for so godamn much idiot?

>$600 a month on rent
why are you paying rent idiot?

So then you agree with blacks that blame whites for everything then, right?

>why are you insurance for so godamn much idiot?
Literally thanks Obama

just go to florida already

>data from a fucking big expensive city

>15% in the bank to get a
you can do it with 3.5% or less in burgerland. The home needs to be in a particular designated area, but these areas are just slightly more rural than suburban. And these areas are 80+% white, in many cases.

You too can come home everyday to an empty house and quietly sob yourself to sleep.

kek'd

Does it still not apply?

>3.5%
For a down payment?

I own 2 houses. Wtf u bitching about.

>complain about the price of houses and claim that you can't afford one

>insist on living in the most expensive part of the country

Need to be flexible so I can relocate for work if I need to. The idea of buying a house than trying to rent it out or resell it if I need to move isn't appetizing.

Although I was looking at 10acres in the country that had a pretty shit little cabin on it for only $26k. Has water and electric, which would make building something else easier. Has a nice creek and some woods on it. Thinking of picking it up cause it's so cheap.

>$200 a month on healthcare

hahahahahahahajajajaja try triple that, per person

>Yes, goy, spend 4 hours every day commuting back and forth from your job so that you can afford to buy a house.

Yes. it's a FHA program. Local grants can offset even the 3.5% as long as you're not white.

But, it'll be tough to get underwriting approval if you're in heavy student loan debt, which is the real problem for our neets

So only the rich can live in cities? Deport the poor to the empty north?

They don't have the money. The reasons vary from house prices being several times someone's salary, meaning that whilst they're saving, it'll still be a few years before they can get a deposit, to people wasting all their cash on shit and then bitching they have none, to a combination of the above.

Say you want a cheap house, so only £200,000 or so (I live up north where it's chepaer, good luck finding this in the south), they want a 10% desposit, minumum, and full-time minimum wage will usually get you some £12,000 per year, before rent, food, bills, etc.

The youth spend three or more years at unversity fucking around, binge drinking and taking drugs, spending all their money that they get from loans or part-time jobs as they do so, instead of working and saving. As such, they can't reasonably expect, with house prices as they are, to afford a deposit without a few years minimum of concentrated effort on saving. Being hedonists, they want to continue their lifestyle choices, so of course fo not save, as they need to continue their drink and drug habit, with regular expensive holidays abroad, which they view as their birthright.

In summation, they need to spend longer saving to afford the new higher-priced houses, but also have a culture which is incompatible wh saving money. So they've been chucked into a pit, but then choose to dig themselves deeper instead of trying to climb out, then bitch and moan about it.

Renting here is a goddamn joke compared to buying

>Buy great townhouse/condo for 200k, 40k down payment, 30-year mortage @ 3.8% = ~$800/month payment
>Rent 2 bedroom apartment for $1700/month in same area

Like in less than 4 years the house will cost you the same amount as the apartment....except you've built $65k of fucking equity. It's a joke to rent in the midwest, don't do it.

>t. lives in a city house with his parents

Because they are afraid of loans.

all solved by moving home after uni, getting an average job and saving for a couple of years.

I have a business and on the way to being able to get a decent down payment for a mortgage. Yet it was so much easier decades ago. Then the boomers brought in the hard leftist social polices like bringing in hoards of 3rd world immigrants, which limited our chances even more due to the infrastructure being stretched and community spirit broken. The economy is completely different and money is consolidated, therefore people can only afford to rent.
Boomers lived in the easiest time to make business, boomers who were not able to get a nice house are the absolute bottom of the barrel. Boomer business people who were not able to make multimillions, are completely useless. Now even if you want to start with a market stall you need various certificates and insurance documents requiring more and more compliance for ridiculous demands.

So yeah I was right, you pretty much just want to both complain about not being able to afford a house while living in the most expensive part of the country at the same time.

No different than someone walking from the slums into a nice suburb and complaining about how they can't afford a house. You can, just not that one.
Beggers can't be choosers and millennials want to be both

>Boomers lived in the easiest time to make business

Says a dude that lived through the dawn of the internet including the growth of Youtube as an adult.

Right?

america, do you really think you can live by taking debt forever? You owe something like 100 trillion dollars already. You think we wouldn't find out your little trickery? I think It's time to cut your spending, and start paying.

Peace.

I'm not complaining about not being able to afford it. The thread is asking why people aren't buying houses. The answer is that their prices have fucking skyrocketed compared to wages, especially in the area where jobs are plentiful (cities). I'd rather not destroy my soul by spending 4 hours in traffic every day, so I'll just live in a shitty apartment or rent a house closer to where I work.

>implying America will ever pay it back
>implying China or any other nation will even ask them to

Millennial though process goes like this.

Social media > City living > not Cooking > 30 is the new 20 > Live in the moment

This results in a lifestyle with no savings, no cars, no hobbies, etc. The only thing that remains is a need to be in the best part of a city at all costs. Combine this with college debt and useless degrees, you end up living in a city apartment until you die.

Oh yeah, all solved by that, but that requires long-term planning and tightening your belt, which incompatible with the culture of wasting money on shit.

So as I say, chucked in a pit, only to choose to dig themselves deeper rather than work at getting out.

It might just be because I know a bunch of spoilt middle-class brats, but the attitude generally is:

>get money
>spend money on drink, drugs, holidays abroad, etc.
>blame Tories for not having money

The only ones I know who aren't like that are, by astonishing co-incidence, the only ones likely to own a house in the next few years and actually make something of their lives.

Damn right, you were old enough to be a legit part of the internet growth while we were either a fetus or a baby.

We are talking about business and ability to make enough money to get a house, remember, not YouTube videos.

So yes you are saying you can't afford to live where you are insisting on living.

You sound like a bright young man.

>youtube
>business

he's not wrong, small biz formation was much higher 20-30 years ago. We're at multi generational lows for new, small biz creation.

>t.just paid a $20k fine to a (((government regulator)))

alright. WHAT IF, china doesn't want to lend anymore?

Then they lose their biggest investment and like 1/2 or more of their economic raison d'etre

*they lose their economic raison d'etre
not sure what I was trying to say there fuck

Average detached house price in my area is $750,000

I'm 29 and it's hilarious that you don't see the irony in your own posts, and you blaming boomers is the exact same thing as blacks blaming whites. You have every opportunity to succeed as everyone else around you and you blame the people before you for your own shortcomings.

There are people that make millions making literally only Youtube videos. I've been watching Phil Defranco for a decade and he has turned his hobby of making news videos into a thriving business that he owns all of and makes a ton of dough. How old are you again?

It's not really "lending." The treasury issues bonds, which are then purchased. If china decides not to purchase any more bonds, then we'll either sell them to someone else, or raise the rate until there are purchasers.

China holding the majority of US debt is a meme anyway, they're #3 behind US financial institutions and Japan (I think).

Why can't we just meme a housing crash? Like a 40%-60% dip.

I live in Washington and you're currently sending us all of your wealthy (by our standards) boomers.

They can't buy shit in Cal and white flight is taking place so they move to small towns up here because they're "quaint", build massive mansions that drive up property taxes, vote democrat to import a slave class to wash their dishes, and generally just shit up the entire place. Also, crappy wineries are popping up everywhere. We can't grow fucking wine here, but those dumb boomer fucks drink it up and pretend to love it.

I'm sorry man, I know it's not your fault but I fucking hate californians.

>tfw my dad is from santa barbara making me a self-hating californian

They're unemployed, poor, and have no credit record.

>I've been watching philip defranco for a decade
>how old are you again?
audible howl, nice trolling

Because of avocado toast

>Why aren't millennials buying houses?
They can't afford it

The leaf is right. Why do you people keep looking for houses in the most expensive cities? Move to a smaller city, or a different state. I had no issue buying a house within 5 miles of my work. Also, LEAVE THE FUCKING COASTS.

It's pretty fucked up to see what's happening in Washington. and Oregon.

Tons of "le so weird and creative" people/young rich professionals with no personality moving up there from California and even from the east coast.

Soon enough you'll be seeing the same "modern" condo buildings with "lifestyle centers" on the first floor and shitty strip malls.

Boston and the suburbs around it are going through this right now and I hate it.