Why does Sup Forums hate Kirito?

Why does Sup Forums hate Kirito?

Because they can't be like him.

Sup Forums just hates edgy self-inserts for 12 year olds, it can't be helped.

Sup Forums is edgier than Kirito though. And I don't think I can remember a single time when Kirito was edgy, he was pretty reasonable actually.

because he got to glop asuna

He's a 1 dimensional stereotypical Gary Stu. It makes the show or the choices he make very predictable. He's the crystalization of self-insert MC , very shallow and very lacking in substance.

I hope you are just joking with this question.

Mothers basement I think did an excellent review of why Kirito is just bland and makes no sense.

Somehow stronger than 90% of players despite dicking around with a harem and lower tier dungeons for what seems like months, has random insane hacking abilities that make no sense and aren't even used to cancel the game. Also somehow one of the only non retarded males in the series, with all the evil baddies he faces being all copy paste rapey pedophiles so Kirito seems cool and noble.

I don't, I want to fug him

And is actually right. Not only is Kirito a literally perfect Gary who could do nothing wrong and has a cute waifu, he's a literally perfect Gary who could do nothing wrong and has a cute waifu AND is canonically as cute as a girl. Fucker has everything

>thelonebeater.jpg

Kirito is a terrible protagonist, most SAO characters are basically perfect exarmples of whatever trope they fill (waifu bait, little sister, damsel in distress, loli).

Which is a pity, because personally I fucking love the basic concept of SAO. The idea of a bunch of experienced gamers trapped in a death game, battling up through the levels etc. Some deal with it well, some are detached enough from real life that they prefer it, some go crazy with fear.

The least interesting role within that would be a lone warrior. I would fucking love a well written step by step play through with better and older characters. you could do some pretty interesting stuff with it.

I could swear this or some variation of this is posted in every SAO anime thread

potential wasted because literally self inserting

Because its true user.

pretty much.

Perfect self inserts have a place, they can be quite fun to watch, but they don't work in situations that are meant to have high tension or character drama (i.e. most stuff where there are self inserts)

There is a fanfiction that follows Klein and his band. Much more interesting than Kirito's story.

While most of what you posted are valid criticisms, none of that makes him "edgy". He's a bland wish-fulfillment self-insert character, but that doesn't mean you can throw all the buzzwords under the sun at him if they don't actually fit.

Progressive anime when?

Have you read the progressive?

Sure its much better than the original, but its got the same problem in terms of characters.

Asuna is a generic Angry Waifu, Kirito is a clueless pinnacle of perfection, everyone else is retarded.

It frustrates me even more because the story itself is much better, but the character flaws (or rather, lack o flaws) are still a huge issue.

>Progressive anime when?
They'll have to make it eventually. The majority of the fans (casuals who don't read the LNs, that is) only want to see Kirito and Asuna being a cute couple anyway. S1 would've been fine if that were the case.

>a generic Angry Waifu
Huh

Of course I have.

Ultimately, if you don't enjoy Kirito and Asuna (and their ridiculous perfection), you're not going to enjoy Progressive, but it captures the atmosphere of a deathgame, the anxieties that come with it, and game mechanics pretty well, so it's still miles ahead of the original volume 1.

True.

Don't get me wrong, I do think the progressive is a decent story, if not great. I like it and when new content comes out I'll read it.

I just think that the Kirito/Asuna interaction is the weakest part of that, and if they were slightly more interesting as characters it would raise the level of the entire series. I don't mind their perfection so much as how pretty much everything revolves around their perfection. Every fight is the narrator for that section describing how amazing and strong and perfect and etc the other one is.

That grates after a while.

I liked him actually. He works hard and gets things done.

Conversely, I actually like their interaction in it quite a bit. Maybe it's because they actually interact for a decent period of time before they suddenly get married 2/3 of the way through the first volume, and you're just like "Wait, what? Who is she again?" I mean, exchanges like the one they had that night in the Dark Elf castle thing were really nice, as was Kirito begging Asuna to swallow her (righteous) indignation that one time. It at least gives Asuna a little depth, though the same can't really be said of Kirito. He's sorta just there and enables things while being a ridiculously smooth operator. "Socially awkward" my ass.

Maybe I just give it more of a pass since it at least makes Asuna more interesting (Argo showing up pretty frequently helps, too), though I'm admittedly a little biased in that regard.

The thing that gets to me most about Progressive is how the universe still literally bends over backwards to make sure that they are the first and best at everything game-related.
>uncovered the scam
>broke the elf quest
>first boat
>best boat
>every single fucking LA bonus

That and Kawahara is pushing the ship unbearably hard. The amount of flirting is almost overwhelming.

Log Horizon.

Yeah, see I think we're actually pretty much in line.

I do think that Progressive is better, in every single way. But I still think that their characters are a weak point in the overall scheme of things.

Agreed about everything else you said though. I hope Heathcliff, or several possible heathcliffs to keep us guessing appear soon and give them some serious competition at the head of the pack.

I though about putting "characters more like Log Horizon" but didn't want to trigger fanboys.

But yeah, pretty much. I would love to see some of the Log Horizon characters in the SAO situation, where death = death.

Pity LH went and got obsessed with the children.

Given that we're still knee-deep in ALS vs DKB drama, I wouldn't really count on Heathcliff showing up anytime soon.

Speaking of which, I hope Kawahara doesn't fuck up that plotline. The Kibaou vs Lind situation has a fair amount of potential, though maybe it's just because guild drama is always so juicy and fun to watch from a third-person perspective. Maybe Kawahara can finally flesh them out to be more than petty and incompetent. That can happen, r-right? And best of all, it has nothing to do with Kirito and Asuna except tangentially.

More guild drama and less Mort nonsense, please.

Yes please.

Mort is deathgun right?

Because hes the best Black Swordsman

>two years of semen made a glopping noise as it flowed endlessly into Asuna

SAO got absurdly popular with the Naruto xD and Otaku xD crowd in the west aka subhuman filth who should die by tripping in a field of rusty aids barbed wire.

So a character that could've been fun to like because of how broken he was became instead hated, because every fucking 14 and their dog started cosplaying him, saying they were like him, and generally associating SAO with the worst human trash the planet has to offer.

It's truly a pity.

>I would love to see some of the Log Horizon characters in the SAO situation, where death = death.
I can't say I agree. When you've got a series set in the world of an MMORPG and death is permanent, it feels more like a standard fantasy setting with a video game coat of paint. In Log Horizon, I think we get better exploration of the implications of life stuck in the world of an MMORPG at least in part because death is not permanent.

Still, I have to agree that Log Horizon characters in SAO would be more interesting to watch than SAO as it is.

>Pity LH went and got obsessed with the children.
I don't mind that, actually. I think the series is better for not just focusing on what Shiroe is personally involved with all the time. You can argue that focus on someone else at the high end would be better, but I think it's better to get in some variety in the experience levels portrayed.

He also feels like that one guy that takes video games way too seriously and screams while going apeshit on enemies, and crying when they lose. Meanwhile you're just trying to chill and have fun.

Like, even after the threat of death is gone, he try-hards like hell, to the point of borderline cheating in games. He screams a lot and somehow wins with something random happening versus actual strategy most of the time. When he isn't doing that, his stats happen to conveniently be just the right stats for whatever obstacle he's facing.

Never saw SAO. Why do people hate it so much? The characters don't look all that bad.

I loved LH. I meant I wanted to see some guild building and slightly older characters with flaws, rather than 14 year old Chuunibyou self inserts.

>Still, I have to agree that Log Horizon characters in SAO would be more interesting to watch than SAO as it is.

I didn't mean the actual characters, just some people similar to them.

As for keeping it diverse, I kinda get that. I felt it took up to much of S2 though, and I would have liked to have seen more of Crusty and the Dragon dude fighting that war in the north.

He's bland, his decisions don't make sense, he's randomly edgy, he's stronger than everyone just from being a beta tester, every time his character tries to develop it gets cut off and he just saves the day like always, every time Asuna tries to do something he swoops in and saves the day and makes her look like a little bitch.

>I meant I wanted to see some guild building and slightly older characters with flaws, rather than 14 year old Chuunibyou self inserts.
Ah, okay. Absolutely agreed there.
>As for keeping it diverse, I kinda get that. I felt it took up to much of S2 though, and I would have liked to have seen more of Crusty and the Dragon dude fighting that war in the north.
Well, maybe a little too much. Not enough to be worth the kind of whining about it that I see on Sup Forums, though.

I see old bitter basement dwellers are at it again with their hatred of people who made it in life

Just Sup Forums being contrarians, user.

On the rare occasions when he decides to have a personality he's either a mopey douche or an edgy douche.