It isn't really an idol anime, so I'm confused...why do the Japanese love Symphogeah? Is it Hibiki's earnest nature...

It isn't really an idol anime, so I'm confused...why do the Japanese love Symphogeah? Is it Hibiki's earnest nature? Is it Tsubasa's caring yet tsundere feeling? Is it RedGuy being a magical super powered man for no reason?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hxRBFMlL3rA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literary_nonsense
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's Hibiki's ass.

Because it's fun.

They tried to recreate the atmosphere in the follow-up seasons, but they (partially) failed because they confused trainwrecks for fun.

S1 was a trainwreck from what I can tell.

Better music than generic idol stuff. After all these years the songs are still not boring.
Also good action and hype moments. The story is dumb but the show is self-aware of its silliness so who cares.

I dunno I've seen plenty of shows be "fun" and not sell 10k+ BDs

Seconding this. Also, it's determination to fist and Zenbu's zenbus and dess dess dess.

She really is so earnest. And she has the determination to fist.

Ask /m/

There is no mecha in Symphogeeayaha

>what is mecha musume

The butts are noice.

Not mecha.

You can't tell shit then.

Yup, no mecha here.

Plenty of shows don't have Nana willing those BDs and CDs out of the stores..

It's just mindless fun. I don't even know why I enjoyed it anymore. It's not exactly good by any stretch of the imagination.

Tell me why Genjuurou is superhuman then

I wish they had expanded on that.
Also, was it ever explained why Hibiki fucked off to the hospital for multiple episodes during S3?

It was spelled out in the show. Pay more attention.

It's just a convenient way to get her out of the picture because her asspull powerup is too strong for the series.

I hate this era where mindless fun dominates

Read a book then, faggot.

He hates it!

I don't think you know what trainwreck means. Season one never loses sight of what it's doing and never strays off course with any plot line or character. No matter how ridiculous everything about it is, it's still pretty solid as far the story and the character development goes. The worst you can say about it is that it's got some pacing problems.

Pic related.

In S1?

youtube.com/watch?v=hxRBFMlL3rA

I know what trainwreck is to me: something that is ridiculous.

>japs only like idolshit meme

Let me guess. You're an M3 / Argevollenfag still butthurt no one liked your shit awful show.

You can define it however you want, but if you don't use it in the sense everybody else does it's hard to make conversation.

Uh, that isn't an explanation.

Zenbu best girl fuck what Japan thinks

It's a perfect explanation.

Is Tsubasa a sword or a wing?

So like 70% of the males in the Symphogeeah world are superhuman?

I figured that was the definition given that everything Sup Forums calls a trainwreck has been ridiculous: Aldnoah, Cross Ange, Valvrave, etc.

How do those "stray off course" with their plotlines or characters? How does one even define what on course is when the writers/director have specific ideas in mind with what they want to do with the characters which may not agree with what you think should happen with them? I can see people saying "Sazbaum should've been the villain of Aldnoah, not Slayne" but it's clear the show's creators thought otherwise. For them they were still on course, even if for me they went off the rails when they killed Sazbaum.

Nana wills it

Yes

> /m/ had the live 2016 rips 2 days ago
> Sup Forums didn't even have a thread
Perhaps it's time to switch boards.

Name says Wing

No, they spend too much time doing useless stuff.

Pretty sure Japan agrees, though.

I've always interpreted "trainwreck" as meaning "It's a disaster but I can't look away".

It horrifies me that they actually give no good explanation for his superhuman strength. This alone ruins the show.

That's how I felt watching Symphogeah, besides the "I can't look away," since I definitely could. Only finished Season 1.

I don't see how it would ruin the show.

>the writers/director have specific ideas in mind with what they want to do
Exactly.
Aldnoah;Zero S1 was no trainwreck. But in S2 you had character motivations that were in plain contrast with what they wanted to do.

In Valvrave (as is typical for Sunrise), things happened seemingly at random. It was just plot twist after plot twist.
And that's a trainwreck.

>things happened seemingly at random.
Maybe you just did not understand the writers'/director's grand vision

>In Valvrave (as is typical for Sunrise), things happened seemingly at random.
Sounds like real life. Maybe Valvrave is a real life simulator.

You ruin the show. I'm not even trying to be cheeky here.

I'll take that as an insult, but sure, that's a possibility. Maybe Valvrave was just too deep for me.

Stories require a narrative.

A wing made of sword.

I spent 70% of it wondering why this guy was superhuman and 30% of it able to concentrate on the show. Immersion breaking. If you have something in a fantasy show that is out of the ordinary you explain it. Sure they found weirdo relics that allow the Symphogear girls to do their thing. Noise is some weird phenomena they don't understand unique to their universe. But how do they explain Genjuurou? Is he a magical phenomena? A force of nature? Was he raised by wolves? What?

the music is good, im listening to it now

I'm sure there are some schools of literary theory that probably disagree with that.

Reminder that Hibiki is shit and ruined GX.

Maria a shit.
A SHIT.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literary_nonsense

Symphogear actually fits this to some extent and so does Valvrave--even moreso.

She did indeed, but she's still best girl.

story (ˈstɔːrɪ)
n, pl -ries
1. (Literary & Literary Critical Terms) a narration of a chain of events told or written in prose or verse

Dictionaries are just explications of the common man's definitions of such things. See here for theorists' beliefs which are on the cutting edge of literary theory

They have shit taste when it comes to everything else, I'm just surprised they actually decided to have good taste when it comes to Symphogeah

That article doesn't refer to a kind of story.
You could argue that Valvrave is not a story either, but that would be a stretch.

I think it refers to a genre of storytelling wherein a specific example would still be called a "story." For example, deeper in the article

>The 2006 fan fiction story My Immortal by XXXbloodyrists666XXX" (Tara Gilesbie) is often considered the apex of nonsensical fan fiction literature. The story which is loosely based on Harry Potter has become notorious for its atypical spelling, and the constant author's notes that frame the text. The story has since become remained popular

People may call examples of that type of literature "stories" for lack of any other term to be able to call them though.

I was going to give you a longer reply, but honestly all I have to say is that you're too autistic for this.

Ogawa is a ninja that can immoblize people by shooting their shadows and runs on water.

I'm pretty sure the bit about My Immortal was a joke. There is actual technique to proper literary nonsense. My Immortal is just a badly written fanfic. The argument that its spelling is atypical is just a humorous reference to the many typos the story has.

It isn't autism to want a story to make sense.

That is an explanation though, one that makes the world of Symphogear even more ridiculous but at least it is an explanation. The relic stuff can be seen as ridiculous in itself. But "he comes from a clan of ninjas and in sympogear world ninjutsu is real" is a better explanation than "this guy watches movies, sleeps and eats so he's superhuman.

Symphogear is unironically my favorite series.

I eagerly await for seasons 4 and 5.

>wikipedia now contains jokes in its articles that no one cares to revert

HELP

>It isn't autism to want a story to make sense.
Why did Gandalf refuse to use lightning against the hordes of Mordor? He proved that he could conjure the stuff in the Hobbit (both movie and book).
Why did Saruman, as he was fighting trees, refuse to set them on fire with fireballs, one of which he conjured up just a short while after losing the battle? (movie)

>this guy watches movies, sleeps and eats so he's superhuman
Have you ever tried it yourself?

It's joke. A fucking joke. Being unable to understand jokes is indeed a sign of autism.

Because plot hole / bad writing
Because plot hole / bad writing

But you see, Symphogear FLAUNTS its plot holes. I can't get over that. Most works at least have the author in a state where he does not know they're there and thus they are not always something.

Actually that description fits me to a T.

Go away Frodo

>Symphogear is unironically my favorite series.
Mine too

He made a joke when he should be explaining the source of his actual superpowers.

>Actually that description fits me to a T.
I hope you didn't expend all your built-up superpower by masturbating.

It's a fucking cartoon.
He didn't make a joke. His strength is the joke.

It's a fucking cartoon with a nudist lesbian woman. I expect it to be a bit more serious than Loony Toons since it's obviously not targeted at kids.

Holy shit you're dumb. The joke was that his powers are ridiculous, the character himself wasn't joking, the writers were.

>adults can't take jokes
Children are superior.

>Make a plot hole character
>Joke about how stupid your work is that it has an intentional plot hole in it

But that's the entire thing. His strength is inconsequential.
The only reason it exists at all is because it makes him look cool and because it's funny.
It's like a princess character with a superpower of never getting dirty. If you ask her how that's possible she tells you that only only drinks barley tea and is polite to strangers.

He saves Hibiki in one ep with it though. It is not inconsequential to the plot.

>why do the Japanese love Symphogeah

Nana Mizuki and music CDs.

>Unironically taking an anime seriously

It's a dumb/simple show but the staff (all of them, Agematsu, the seiyuu, the animators, etc) love the show and characters and it really shows on the final product.
It's a bit similar to the early years of Nanoha in that regard.

We can tell those old farts who got into anime with "Eevanjellyoon" and "Cowboy Beeboop" by people who take anime seriously, am I right, fellow newfag? ^_^

>projecting this much

You are the newfag

Don't use emoticons on Sup Forums.

I'm just trying to fit in here where obviously anime must now be so bad that internal consistency are out the window and we must take every show as a half-comedy because it is so bad people might make fun of us if we took it too seriously.

It's a joke. I'm using it to annoy you. And it's working ;^)

Genjuro's answer is almost certainly a lie, but you've watched far too much shounen if you think that the middle of a fight with someone who wants to kill you is the best time to start revealing the source of your powers.

Not every minor character's background and abilities need explicitly spelling out, especially in the first season. It gives future writers more freedom to work with, if they ever decide to flesh out Genjuro's backstory. They could even decide to never reveal it and have the cast ignore the elephant in the room as a running joke in the series, perhaps with the occasional lampshade.

Symphogear is not meant to be taken seriously

Ironic shitposting is just shitposting.

kill yourself

>but you've watched far too much shounen if you think that the middle of a fight with someone who wants to kill you is the best time to start revealing the source of your powers.
Yes it would be awkward but it would be better than no explanation. Hibiki should ask him after she sees it once and he should explain it.

And I would not count Genjuro as a minor character given how much screen time he gets.

Also I wish anime that was not meant to be taken seriously would have a huge label on them saying as such so I could avoid them easily. Comedy doesn't work because some shows which one can take seriously begin with comedy elements which are gradually phased out.

Do you think I care?

>girls power up by singing which makes them switch into skimpy outfits with oversized armor pieces
>serious anime
You have only yourself to blame.