What's your opinion on the Chimera Ant Arc?

What's your opinion on the Chimera Ant Arc?

one of the greatest arcs in anime

A masterpiece.

It had some of the shittiest and some of the greatest moments in the show

Anime fucked it up

Pacing in the first half is terrible

Made HxH a stupid overly obnoxious shonen into a deconstruction. Still could have been better though

I liked a the part where they died

Killed my waifu.

It was too long.

This just reminded me of when HxH went back on haitus recently. Something about everyone comparing how many haitus' they've been through was hilarious.

"This is my 3rd deployment!"

Characterization and development was top notch, and it had Togashi's best pages and most emotional moments.
2nd favorite arc, would have been 1st if if the arc as a whole was as great as the Palace Invasion, the part after Kite died with the training to when Gon and Killua were fighting mook ants got annoying.

It was fine but it introduced the character that made the show bad, Meruem.

how can Gintama and Cell be in the same anime? what sorcery is this ?

Not as good as York New or Greed Island, but still good. Too many fucking ants to follow though and it pissed me off how fast they all seemed to learn Nen when even humans like Gon and Killua who learn it fast took a while to start using it at that level. Also aura powerlevels for the ants were bullshit.

Second half was the weakest. Narration is fine in stuff like this but they overdid it in a lot of places.
Also the first half is a lot more brutal than the second. That feeling that everyone could die a horrible death kind of disappears during the second half.

Ending was 10/10, tho.

It's 75% boring/infuriating shit, 25%'JUST FUCK MY EMOTIONS UP' gold

Too much redundant narration ruined a lot of potentially great moments.

Overrated garbage with horrible pacing, needless narration, tell-don't-show melodrama finished off with deus ex machina power up. So basically a typical shonen.

Just watched the Phantom Troupe movie and it sucked ass. How come both movies are terrible?

>deus ex machina power up. So basically a typical shonen.
please let this be bait and not just you being a braindead dumpster baby

madhouse forgot that HxH is about more than friendship and magic

They're not canon.
The only things those movies are good for is new soundtracks that are then used for the main series.
No need to blame Madhouse, they hired the same scriptwriter that worked on HxH 99 for one of the movies.

>screencaps looks more interesting than the actual anime
why live.

At least I didn't write a story about a ridiculous powerup out of nowhere, whose repercussions are instantly healed by a magic imouto through the power of sibling love.

>just blame 99 fag for blotching the movie(s)
Say no more.

>whose repercussions are instantly healed
there were more than physical repercussions to Gon's transformation. although i will admit that alluka was a major asspull (doesnt mean that her arc and power arent still interesting)

Alluka would be a major asspull is nothing else outside of healing Gon ever came out of it.
But now that it's clearly tied with the DC then I wouldn't call it that.

I get that people want to call some convenient suddenly introduced thing an asspull, but that's oversimplying stuff.
If you go by that definition you'd call the chimera ants themselves an asspull, they're a convinent antagonist that comes out of nowhere (just like Nanika they come from the DC, but we had no way to know that when they were introduced.)

The EVA of shonen.

It was an awful asspull but the only reason I don't hate it is because it seems to tie into DC and Netero's journey there

You are right that the chimera ants are an asspull, just like with every long running shonen with newer and stronger enemies. It's a common flaw of the genre (though there are focused shonen anime out there). It just adds insult to injury when the solution to the asspull problem is also an asspull, if you get what I mean.

Also a simple way to minimise asspulls that requires some future explanation is foreshadowing. I don't think there is nay foreshadowing of the chimera ants or alluka, which is why they feel so random. The gonna transformation is forgivable since there is build up and mention of such incidents.

Sorry for typos. Meant to say Gon's transformation.

Second only to Yorknew.

>You are right that the chimera ants are an asspull
No that's the opposite. I'm saying the asspull defintion people have is too large.
Of course in a long running series some stuff is going to be conveniently introduced without much foreshadowing, that's just how it is you have to introduce new stuff to get the story going.
So the real characteristic of an asspull isn't the sudden introduction, it's the fact that it is only used that one time to get out of a pinch and never brought up again and/or never has any major consequence on the story.

Drug itself out way, way too long. Way too many filler characters. Was a fucking chore to read.

Aside from that it's a great story, and has some great scenes.

Ending was a bit anticlimactic. Some great characters were forgotten and weren't used or shown. Also these guys died too early.

>put up with stupid genki kid getting his shit pushed in for over a hundred eps
>finally does something badass
>enough power to fuck the sun raw
>gone in 1 fight

fuck off japan

I loved it. However (and I know that I'm in the minority for this), I liked Greed Island more. Maybe it's because GI reminded me of Dragon Quest, or maybe because of Biscuit.

>fag
>trap
>toughguy

Nope. No tropes here. 4/4 five star characters for sure.

Weakest arc for me. Went on way too damn long and given how much shit spiraled out of control, it seems silly that there weren't more hunters there. I also couldn't sympathize at all with the antagonist, even though I am meant to. I was just glad when he died and the arc fucking ended.

>>Asspulls
>>Instantly healed
>>Sibling love
We've taken memes and buzzwords too far.

>it seems silly that there weren't more hunters there
Come on, that's fucking basic, they give all the reasons at the start of the arc.

1. Sending weak ass hunters will only give more power/food to the ants. Look at the damage Pokkle did, teaching Nen to all of them.

2. The Vice Chairman was interfering with Netero about what hunters he would be able to take with him. (Great foreshadowing about Pariston btw.)

I could never imagine myself living such as depressing life such as yours.

Meruem isn't a fag and Pouf isn't a trap you idiot.

Hey, the good news is that that arc kinda soured me on HxH a bit, meaning I'm not too bothered by these delays.

I can imagine you're more depressed than I am.

I've grown numb to waiting times and when I don't like something I simply stop watching it. But I feel pity for you, that you couldn't enjoy such a great arc.

I liked that despite supposedly being loyal to the King the three royal guards went about it in entirely different ways.

Youpi was loyal to the position.
Pouf was loyal to the concept.
Pitou was loyal to the person.

might be jumping the shark the arc

Youpi and Pitou weren't any less loyal to the concept of the chimera ant king than Pouf was, Pouf just held his own expectations. In fact, Pitou was a lot more of a positive influence to the concept of the king since she was interested in keeping Komugi around for Meruem's sake, and that could have led to Meruem reproducing with Komugi, which is an important facet of his existence.

i want to fuck meruem

Unironically a masterpiece in the manga, within battle shounen at least. The anime couldn't really pull it off aside from a few amazing episodes, the pacing and narration didn't translate well.

i wanted to fuck my waifu, to bad togashi is a fucking asshole and we can't have nice things

>it's not an asspull as it gets justification later after its served it's purpose

My sides

Ideal may have been a better way to describe it, Pouf wanted to serve the perfect king, and was willing to do things against Meruem's wishes to make that a reality.

How was it I put it back while it was airing? Pouf serves the king, Youpi serves the throne, Pitou serves Meruem?

This

>awful pacing at times
>much too long
>great villains
>deconstruction was amazing
>Knov's infiltration episode had the suspense of a horror movie
>Netero vs. Meruem was a god-tier fight
>Komugi and Meruem's ending was some of the best directing I've ever seen. And feels.

I hate having to watch the whole thing just to get to the really great parts.
But I'd say that 5% greatness makes the whole thing worthwhile.

Yorknew arc is better

I haven't gotten to it yet, I just finished yorkshin I think

>Yorknew

I cried like a little bitch during the last 3 episodes straight. I mean like crying hard, son.

in the anime's attempt to more properly explain things and flesh stuff out it fucked up the pacing from the manga after Kite dies but at least they introduced chimera ants in a more engaging way that immediately sets the stakes while also introducing Kite's character more effectively (even though they fucked up not introducing him at the beginning).

So while it does drag in places I'd still call it the best battle anime/manga arc I've ever seen. All of the different powers interacting and all the character development setups and payoffs still make this something I've had no problem rewatching on multiple occasions despite some of the drags in pacing.

Chimera ant arc would be a great story were it not for Killua and Gon being in it.

Good arc but there was an extreme amount of narration and that slowed it down so much.

It was way too dark and dragged on for way too long. I remember one of the episodes spent the entire time explaining a single punch being done by Netero, that's DBZ tier slow. At least the show picked up again during the final arc.

You can literally skip it all and you won't miss anything important for the story.
>Gon died but not really
>Killua now can use the 120% bullshit
And that's it, election arc and forward is where the important stuff is at.

>Every plot point must be fully explained beforehand
Wew

It doesn't need to be explained beforehand, it needs to be consistent and believable within the world from the point it is introduced, which it was not.

>Most advanced nen users admit to knowing fuckall about how nen actually works
Yeah, I didn't have a tough time believing it.

Just that gif is obnoxiously edgy, I'd hate to see how the actual show treats it. Guess I'll figure out when Toonami gets there.

Pouf serves his faggoty delusions