Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1655

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djt.neocities.org/

Previous thread

First for imouto

このスレを日本語のスレにしようぜ

アノンちゃまはいま何を読んでいるの?

How do I increase my mature card retention?
Yes, I am reading more.

>いま何を読んでいるの
お前のポストに決まってるじゃんボケ

cram some or decrease starting ease

Drink more alcohol

The Japanese あ sound is pronounced like the A in "hat".

Checkmate atheists!

try to stop being an obnoxious memekid, OP

>obnoxious memekid
>gets dubs
10/10

では小生のゾロ目を拝見するがよい

Do you think doing a kana-only version of my mining deck on the side will help me recognize words when doing listening practice?

I feel like I rely on Kanji too much.

人糞教授に教えられれば日本語が話せるようになるかも

I think you should just do more listening practice instead of fucking around with anki

Of course I'm doing listening practice, but words I should know fly right past me all the time, and I only notice them when I turn on subtitles and see the Kanji.

みなさん、
いままでごぞんじしてさせてもらってきました
おせわになっております

you'll cowards cant even lern jap

Yeah that happens to me too, shit's pretty annoying

I'd assume your kana deck idea might work to some extent but I can't imagine it would be more effective than just doing listening practice in the time you would have spent on the deck

why do you think a lot of jap news in subbed with kanji

2k/6k and the mine deck seperatively or just one deck for all?

Learning Japanese is like climbing a very long staircase. If you try to do too much at the beginning, you won't have much energy and will be hurting later on trying to climb the very same number of steps the next day. It's not about how fast you can climb to "step number x" in the beginning, it's about being willing to climb a minimum number of steps everyday. Once you have turned it into a habit, climbing that minimum amount of steps becomes so much easier. Language learning is about being consistent in the end.

The Japanese have a saying: 七転び八起き 「ななころびやおき」 "Fall down 7 times, get up 8"

Don't be afraid to make mistakes! The worst you'll do is fall over, but you can always pick yourself back up. Beginners often start learning the language full of fire and determination, but quickly fizzle out due to fear of making mistakes. Look forward to making mistakes and learning from them instead. Even if climbing just a few steps feels painful, difficult, slow going and unsatisfying in the beginning, if you always stick it out, every day it becomes easier, and you definitely will achieve your goals!

I want to press my dick into your ass dude

whoa is that what we're gonna do this thread, we gonna fight?

Anal masturbation is like climbing a very long staircase. If you try to do too much at the beginning, you won't have much energy and will be hurting later on trying to climb the very same number of steps the next day. It's not about how fast you can climb to "step number x" in the beginning, it's about being willing to climb a minimum number of steps everyday. Once you have turned it into a habit, climbing that minimum amount of steps becomes so much easier. Anal exploitation is about being consistent in the end.

The Japanese have a saying: 七転び八起き 「ななころびやおき」 "Fall down 7 times, get up 8"

Don't be afraid to make mistakes! The worst you'll do is fall over, but you can always pick yourself back up. Beginners often start expanding their bumholes full of fire and determination, but quickly fizzle out due to fear of making mistakes. Look forward to making mistakes and learning from them instead. Even if climbing just a few steps feels painful, difficult, slow going and unsatisfying in the beginning, if you always stick it out, every day it becomes easier, and you definitely will achieve your goals!

i love /djt/ cause it makes me feel like im doing something productive while browsing Sup Forums

im not even learning jap lol

七転八倒「しちてんばっとう」

ともいうよ

ややこしいけど、りょうほうAnkiしてね

がんばっておにいちゃん

>がんばっておにいちゃん

いつもの援助ありがとう

this is gonna be a slow thread cause i think everyones teasing Sup Forums again about persona

just asking what you individually do to make up my mind, not what every djt-drone must do

An 「移動動物園」is like a petting zoo right?

>Many people stop the Core2K/6K deck after reaching 2000 words; partly because the first 2000 words (Core2K) are a lot more common than the rest, and partly because of the significant time investment involved in completing Core6K. As you can expect even Core2K to take about 3 months to complete, some prefer to skip it and begin reading native material immediately.

>Whether or not you feel that the time investment is worth it depends on your tolerance for looking up unknown words.

>apparently N3 requires the knowledge of ~3500 words
>tfw know over 5k, but jcat still places me between N4 and N3
I really should learn more conversational Japanese.

ah thank you for the advice, but I actually ment something different. I am about 3k into 2k/6k and am reading, but wondered if (after finishing) making one deck (including mining and the 2k/6k) or having two seperate decks (mining-deck+2k/6k) is more convenient for you.

Thanks anyway

wiki says it was zoo on request, for things like kindergartens etc

they'd move it there

How many words should I learn before starting grammar?

All of them

If you learn enough words you don't need to learn grammar

Okay, that makes more sense in the context of the following lines. Thanks user.

I should check wikipedia more.

how do i learn anime language
pls help
will pay in memes made by me

Make a second deck. Some people make a deck per piece that they read.

Pay me in gum instead and you got a deal

I'm living in a single at my uni and i brought my dildo and have not used it yet.

Put words in your brain, regurgitate.

There you go.

Load up tae kim while setting up anki

Noob questions

First panel, why is it かいてくれてた instead of simply かいてくれた?

いがいといい奴だ
I get the meaning but why is と being used here?

I think the first answer was the best one. Do Tae Kim and Core at the same time.

thanks

>かいてくれてた

かいてくれたはdrewっぽいかんじで
かいてくれてたはdrawingっぽいかんじだよ

>かいてくれてた
Fuuka has drawn me a picture.
>かいてくれた
Fuuka drew me a picture

>いがいといい奴だ
と makes 意外 an adverb.

Having an issue with mining. The number of mined words goes up way faster than I can review them unless I'm willing to sentence myself to insane numbers of reps daily. By the end of a book there's usually a big pile of words that are still "New", and that pile is only going to get bigger with the next book.

How would you address this?
>mine less words
But is skipping words any different than what's essentially happening now?

>don't read the next chapter until all words from the previous chapter are Young.
Compelling content is compelling though.

Any other ideas?

Trepanation

Deal with having a backlog of words for a while.

With VNs it's really easy to skip words. You mine the interesting ones and for the words that seem too rare/boring for your current level you just ignore them until later. But with manga you have to put in actual effort to look up words so you kinda might as well mine anything that you needed to look up.

You could, however, try to put more effort into guessing from the kanji and not looking up words that maybe you could have figured out from context.

Tbh though I would just deal with those insane reps. As long as you've done a couple thousand words from Core and know most of the Jouyou they shouldn't be that bad. You should be able to do more than 20 words a day with mined words.

I have the same issue, consider installing morphman addon for anki.

The addon will analyze all the data you already know (based on what you've already studied in anki) and rearrange the new cards to try and give you an optimal learning order. So say you know 取る and 引く it will arrange the new cards to show your 取引 and 引きこもり first instead of say 子犬.

It doesn't solve the problem, but it allows you to study the random assortment of shit you mine much more effectively. It's helped me to deal with my mining vocab backlog a lot.

Be warned though, it takes a bit of fiddling to get set up properly.

I have the same problem - I can have 200-300+ words by the end of a volume mined and ready, but by the time I actually review them all (three to four weeks later), I'll already be several volumes ahead, if not already finished with the series.

It's just part of the learning process. You didn't reread or put a hold to reading until you could understand the entire text's vocabulary with perfect recall as a kid. You just learned through exposure over time.

The best you can do is continue to read things in a similar vein (ie, stick to eroge, shounen, same author, same genre, whatever) and reinforce those words, with Anki acting as a secondary learning tool, instead of your primary one.

I'm stuck not being able to deal with the vocab overload from finishing core 6k and doing my own mining deck at the same time. By the time I finish core6k in two months, my mining deck will be larger - this is frustrating, but hopefully by the time I can tackle it, a lot of those words I'll be able to rate as Easy by the time I finally, officially "review" them.

Finally reached the 2K milestone in Anki. Better finish Tae Kim too.

Fuck are you doing? You should've finished TK ages ago

Anki is easier, the grammatical concepts just go over my head and I put it down. When I do eventually pick it back up, I start from chapter 1 and work my way up. Needless to say, it's not very efficient.

Japanese the Manga Way might suit you better

Thanks, I'll give it a shot

I finished my kanji deck and not getting new cards makes me feel like my brain's rotting at an even faster pace.

I really wish I could get that rikaisama mining shit down but it seems so unnecessarily complicated.

You can't learn Japanese

Don't you just have to hover over a word and press a button and it mines it?

I don't even use rikai import because I use chrome, I add my mined words to a notepad and import them that way, and it's still the easiest thing in the universe

>>かいてくれてた
>Fuuka has drawn me a picture.

Maybe I'll get proven wrong when you post more context, but I'd say it's much more likely this means "Fuuka was drawing me a picture".

>chrome

Is there a way to take an import list and use it to move all the words to the front
Like if you go through Core 10k, but want to mine a list of 30 words each day and just move the cards to the front instead of going in the Core order

custom study > preview new cards

or just browse > added today > reschedule

pretty sure there's a browser shitposting thread in for this kind of low-effort comment

They aren't "added today" though because they were already in the deck

What was the first thing you completed fully in Japanese? Manga, anime, game, whatever. For me it was Zwei!! which was a lot of fun.

then replace the middle "added today" step with "search for term" step

Which would require searching and repositioning cards one at a time, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

Found this gem

Meh that's not all that funny you gotta go to reddit for the real gold

Not counting the thousands of H-doujins, probably 戦国ランス.

Is there a simple way to learn the Japanese characters/alphabet? If I want to read manga in Japanese I need hiragana, right? I just think that if I start with the alphabet, the rest should fall into place, that's how my mind works.

Some people use realkana
You can use flashcards
Honestly kana is the easiest part. Consensus here says it should take between 1 to 3 days to get both alphabets.

>Consensus here says it should take between 1 to 3 days to get both alphabets

And with that another dekinai was born

Consensus here is that you're also a NEET so it's really whatever. Took me a week and I was in school

Have elevens learned how to clean raw manga yet? Last time I downloaded some raw volumes they looked like utter shit

>よくなかったら
Spent 30 seconds trying to figure that shit out because 良く it's written in hiragana.

FUCK

No, you spend so long because you're dumb. It's written in kana the majority of the time.

You should probably stop using a Core deck.

People who find stuff written in hiragana hard to read probably just don't read enough real Japanese.

Good writing strikes a balance, but even native speakers have differing opinions on what that balance should be.

Heck, half the shitty light novels out there actually sacrifice readability to appeal to a chunibyo audience that thinks having more kanji makes something more "mature" or whatever it is that motivates chunis.

If you do fewer than 20 words a day and have the time to shitpost in DJT you aren't trying

I'm just a beginner with very little reading experience. Chill the fuck out.

Hey, I'm not the one that called you dumb.

Not reading enough real Japanese can be just as much an issue of "hasn't been studying long yet" (i.e. "is a beginner) as it can be "reads nothing but anki cards" (i.e. is a retard).

And there's no shame in being a beginner.

Pretty sure people that find stuff in hiragana hard to read just need to do more listening practice

スレを生き返ますように

>生き返る is godan

Woops

>tfw PS Vita, the quintessential weeb console, is getting blown wide open at this very moment
>tfw just ordered a 64GB memory card
>tfw COMPELLING CONTENT

Video games are for nerds

別に死んだわけじゃないけど

Oh come on, I just closed my /vitagen/ tab so I don't have to see them crying about fucking nothing.

It's still a complete clusterfuck but it's only a matter of time now, give it a week or two.
RIP in peace dumb EOPs

PCfag here, care to explain?