What anime/manga is mainstream in Japan apart from One Piece? ie, non-Otakus like it

What anime/manga is mainstream in Japan apart from One Piece? ie, non-Otakus like it

Other urls found in this thread:

animecalendar.net/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Sazae-san

Dragon Ball, Jojo, Gundam, Osomatsu-Kun, Pokemon.

Shoujo, shounen, and joji are probably each much more popular than seinen. Those are girls, boys, babies, and faggots respectively if you didn't know.

Solid rec, I'll second that.

None of these, OP. This one is trollin' ya?

Conan and Yokai Watch.

Doraemon
Sazae-san
Chibi Maruko-chan
Conan
Dragonball
Pokemon
Nintama Rantarou
Ojarumaru

That sorta stuff.

Pokemon is pretty non-Otaku. It's like chicken pox, kids who are starting to work on important jobs all got it and Pokemon GO only solidified its popularity.

Does anyone actually like Sazae-san? It just seems like something people put on while they're eating dinner so they don't have to talk to each other.

Fullmetal Alchemist and Evangelion are about as far you can go while still staying reasonably mainstream. Anything beyond that is usually past the threshold.

Have you ever watched it? It's good, wholesome shit. The fact that there's likely not a moonman alive who doesn't recognize the characters notwithstanding.

These are all kids' shows. Or maybe kid-friendly family shows. Which is the correct answer. Some things are aimed at a more mainstream adult audience. Simplest indicator is probably when it aired: look for things that air in the evening rather than the dead of night.

Love Live

Sazae-san

In terms of non-kids stuff, Attack on Titan managed to top the box office with that Godawful ricewashed live-action film, so I'm going to say for the moment, it's pretty mainstream.

One Piece is Simpsons-tier ubiquitous though.

>Anime characters that actually look Japanese

Maruko

Everything mentioned ITT so far is mainstream - with the exception of as being titles that most people know, but haven't actually watched (and probably think you're an otaku if you have).

Also Crayon Shin-Chan, though it's mostly watched by adult males (though nowhere near as funny as the AS version).

It's not unusual to have junior high school kids say their favorite character is the Japanese equivalent of Barney the Dinosaur (see: ), however much it annoys the hell out of me.

Osomatsu has gotten annoyingly huge in the past year and you can find merch everywhere.

I've seen stuff like Gundam and GeGeGe no Kitarou in rotation on tv too, usually to promote blu-rays or a deceased mangaka/seiyuu.

All the guys around 22-28 in my company in Japan have heard about Jojo, and about half of them have read at least a few parts.

Do Spongebob or Tom n Jerry count?

Adventure Time should. It's on Thursday or Friday nights, I can't remember which.

idol stuff

nice rec thread

but everybody knows nips have terrible taste, why would a rec thread be asking what they like

Love live?

Gundam is mainstream enough to get a giant fucking statue and a cafe.

Jesus, that's so cool
I`ve never watched gundam, how's it

kys newfag

Most otaku stuff air at night or late evening, so I guess the anime that airs at evenings or mornings. I'm too lazy to check it out.

You can use animecalendar.net/ to find it out for example.

Depends on what gundam, but the original stills holds ups even with QUALITY 70's animation.

I did it for you after all. Sousei no Omnythbdtmfbhyn is mainstream, I didn't know that.

Pokemon, Doraemon, Detective Conan.

I've had the Pokepox since I was three.
Don't watch the anime anymore, though.

>kys
Fuck off, newfag.

can it be a rec thread when you can't even pirate stuff like doraemon, sazae-chan or chibi maruko?

Isn't Golgo 13 the best selling manga ever except One Piece? And yet I don't think it's even scanlated in English. I'd love to read it.

Every single bookshop or convenience store is all but guaranteed to have a copy.

It's the go-to for middle aged men to read on the train to work because they forgot to bring whatever it was they were originally planning on reading.

>Osomatsu has gotten annoyingly huge in the past year and you can find merch everywhere.
Love Live is as huge or maybe even huger (definitely more annoying), but I'm still not sure I'd call it mainstream.

Isn't it good though? I heard it is.

>no Anpanman

Imagine Tom Clancy was putting out a new Jack Ryan novel every other week for 40 years.

Older men know the character and the setting and they know it's going to have the kind of story they enjoy, but at that volume there's no way every single one is good and if you picked one up at random of a shelf it you'd be lucky if it was noteworthy.

That said, there are still lots of good ones and the character and setting are good enough to make it reliable.

>random of a shelf it you'd be lucky
how do i rite sentense

But still, it's not available in English except few chapters. But what about anime? Is it good?

Does JoJo's Bizzare Adventure Count

>Jojo
Kek

>it's not available in English
I guess the backlog is intimidating and the kind of people scanlating don't get hype about something like Golgo13

>what about anime? Is it good?
Sorry, never watched the anime.

>JoJo's Bizzare Adventure
It's mainstream enough that they had a Gucci/JoJo crossover marketing campaign.

Isn't Det Conan treated like a god in Japan.

Anyone from the age of ~20-50 would know who Conan is, but I'd be surprised if they'd watched an episode or read an issue in the last five years.

Love Live is pretty mainstream. At least at the level of Aikatsu

>Love Live is pretty mainstream.
Personally I'd consider something mainstream if you'd include it when, during a job interview, you're asked what kind of shows you watch.

I don't think many people would admit to watching Love Live unless they're interviewing at KLab.

Are you kidding? Osomatsu-kun (the original, not the reboot) is one of Akatsuka's most famous gag manga. Kids anime and manga reference it a lot, and even they have their own Iyami clones.

>Working

crayon shin chan
source: asked a japanese person from japan in japan

What kind of job interview asks you what kind of shows you watch? Do you have nothing down on your cv besides watching anime?

I just like that definition because it handles so many grey areas quite nicely.

For example:
A: What kind of music do you listen to?
B: AKB48
^This is something a person would say during an interview and listening to AKB48 is mainstream

A: How do you spend your weekends?
B: Going to AKB48 hand-shaking events
^This is not something a person would say during an interview and going to those events is not mainstream

>What kind of job interview

Hypothetical ones, dummy.

It does happen though. Plenty of employers don't care about the quality of your work, since they expect you to be there for 14 hours a day anyway and any idiot can struggle through if they spend that much time. What they really want is someone they can enjoy going to drinks with (there's no time to make friends outside of work) and asking what shows they like is a "safe" way to get a vague idea of what someone's into, since TV is still crazy popular in Japan.

Also, lots of interviews involve the interviewer just going through your resume in front of you and a standard Japanese resume includes a "hobbies" section; people sometimes do put, among other things, "watching TV". Maybe because they're a boring person or maybe because, again, it's "safe".

Don't get me wrong though, it's definitely not like it's some kind of standard interview question or anything like that.

On the balance of probabilities, you won't be asked what TV shows you watch during a job interview in Japan.

One Piece and other shounen anime.

Just look at the top manga sales, manga is mainstream in general.

Crayon Shin-chan

They're like 5 minute episodes. You have time to watch it and talk to your family afterwards.

Whatever airs in the morning. And Gundam.

Was there last month, One Piece was probably what I saw the most of, as you see it not just in obvious weeb areas but in almost every convenience store. Pokemon obviously, as well as Dragonball. Osomatsu-san was also noticeably advertised, a lot of merch. A fair bit of Girls und Panzer surprisingly.

Evangelion is notably under-represented, I thought it would be more popular. Only saw one advert with it, advertising an EVA-01 shinkansen. That is outside Akihabara, but even there it wasn't very popular.

In addition to the kids' anime already mentioned, Pretty Cure is very mainstream, though only for kids.

Idolshit. For both female and male audience.

South Park.

holy fuck just checked
golgo 13

50 episodes
manga 1968-present
holy fuck 181 volumes
fuckin picked up