Constitutional Amendment to prohibit dual citizenship for highest seats of power

The biggest threat to the US isn't hacking or another nation's military. It's people holding the highest seats of power being allowed to have dual citizenship.

At best, dual citizenship represents a conflict of interest. At worse, another nation with hands directly on the levers of power.

Senators, Reps, and maybe even Governors should hold American citizenship, and only American citizenship.

This is a restriction in the constitutions of most countries.

Other urls found in this thread:

unv.is/thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/244554-sanders-i-do-not-have-dual-citizenship-with-israel
themoscowtimes.com/articles/russia-targets-traitorous-dual-citizenship-holders-35973
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What if one is a kekistani and an American?

Oy vey, this is anti-Semitic!

Not really, but you did just make me look at Israeli dual citizenship and it's staggering:

Senators:
Richard Blumenthal (D-CT)
Barbara Boxer (D-CA)
Benjamin Cardin (D-MD)
Dianne Feinstein (D-CA)
Al Franken (D-MN)
Herb Kohl (D-WI)
Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ)
Joseph Lieberman (Independent-CT)
Carl Levin (D-MI)
Bernard Sanders (Independent-VT)
Charles Schumer (D-NY)
Ron Wyden (D-OR)
Michael Bennet (D-CO)

House of Rep:
Gary Ackerman (D-NY)
Shelley Berkley (D-NV)
Howard Berman (D-CA)
Eric Cantor (R-VA)
David Cicilline (D-RI)
Stephen Cohen (D-TN)
Susan Davis (D-CA)
Ted Deutch (D-FL)
Eliot Engel (D-NY)
Bob Filner (D-CA)
Barney Frank (D-MA)
Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ)
Jane Harman (D-CA)
Steve Israel (D-NY)
Sander Levin (D-MI)
Nita Lowey (D-NY)
Jerrold Nadler (D-NY)
Jared Polis (D-CO)
Steve Rothman (D-NJ)
Jan Schakowsky (D-IL)
Allyson Schwartz (D-PA)
Adam Schiff (D-CA)
Brad Sherman (D-CA)
Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-FL)
Henry Waxman (D-CA)
Anthony Weiner (D-NY)
John Yarmuth (D-KY)

Obama's Administration:
Jack Lew – Chief of Staff to the President
David Plouffe – Senior Advisor to the President
Dan Shapiro – Ambassador to Israel
Mary Schapiro – Chairwoman of the Securities and Exchange Commission
Steven Simon – Head of Middle East/North Africa Desk at the National Security Council
Eric Lynn – Middle East Policy Advisor
Tony Blinken – Deputy National Security Advisor
Danielle Borrin – Director of Intergovernmental Affairs and Deputy Director of Public Engagement
Gary Gensler – Chairman, Commodity Futures Trading Commission
Jonathan Greenblatt – Special Assistant to the President and Director, Office of Social Innovation and Civic Participation (Domestic Policy Council)
Daniel Rubenstein – Ambassador to Syria
Gene Sperling– Director, National Economic Council
Adam Szubin – Director, Office of Foreign Assets Control (Treasury)
David Cohen – Deputy Director, Central Intelligence Agency

>tfw your old prime minister was born in the UK

If Bernie Sanders had won, the POTUS would have been an Israeli.

As a dual citizen (US / Canadian) seeking a third citizenship by descent (Italian), I am not opposed to a requirement that people in positions of power in state or federal governments should be required to renounce the non-US citizenships.

That list has been on Facebook and Sup Forums forever with absolutely no proof whatsoever. Sanders himself has specifically denied it.

There is no benefit to politicians to seek Israeli citizenship as it could be considered a potentially expatriating act if they are not claiming it by birth but instead naturalization.

Plus it's huge fodder for other politicians to attack you if you sought it after birth as an adult.

Then there should be no problem with a constitutional amendment making it law?

Normally it would, but dual citizen politicians exist and are listed for several western nations. Yet not even a single Israeli is listed despite us being "their greatest allies". Why is that?

unv.is/thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/244554-sanders-i-do-not-have-dual-citizenship-with-israel
>Sen. Bernie SandersBernard (Bernie) SandersChris Murphy’s profile rises with gun tragedies Clip shows Larry David and Bernie Sanders reacting after discovering they're related For now, Trump dossier creates more questions than answers MORE (I-Vt.) repeatedly denied during a radio interview with NPR host Diane Rehm on Wednesday that he has dual citizenship with Israel, bemoaning the "nonsense" people see on the Internet.

Sanders is a charlatan who took donations (no refunds) while flying on private jets to see the pope while bilking gullible college kids before selling out to the establishment and buying his third home, but there's zero evidence of him being a dual citizen whatsoever.

>Then there should be no problem with a constitutional amendment making it law?
I'd be game for it. Cruz understandably caught tons of shit for being a dual citizen while running for the republican nomination for the presidency and he renounced it on his own, but I wouldn't be opposed to a requirement that those seeking public office be required to do so.

And Israel didn't exist when most people holding Senate or Rep seats were born. So most would have sought it after birth.

Many politicians having their parents born before 1948 (foundation of Israel) and many of them also being born before 1948 themselves would be large factors blocking a claim to Israeli citizenship.

In order to get citizenship that wasn't first generation born abroad jus sanguinis, by descent to an Israeli citizen, or marriage, you have to move to Israel for at least three months, which is something that would be generally noticed during the life as a public servant.

Compare that to countries like Canada where all generations born abroad were automatic citizens jus sanguinis (until the 2009 changes in the citizenship act were passed and jus sanguinis was limited to the first generation born outside canada).

There's also no evidence that he doesn't have dual citizenship.

Normally when an issue like this arises, the politician puts it to rest by contact the country in question, and then presenting the reponse as proof.

Bernie refused to do that. So, we've only really got his word for it. And he's so honest, as you explained.

>There's also no evidence that he doesn't have dual citizenship.
And there's no evidence that Santa Claus isn't real and in league with the Bognadoffs plotting to create a device that will destroy the planet. What's your point?

Sanders is severely misguided at best and dishonest at worst, but there is essentially no credible evidence to say he could be an Israeli citizen.

Sanders was born in 1941. When both he and his parents were born, Israel didn't even exist.

Under the law of return, Sanders would have to move to Israel for three months and reside there before he could get citizenship himself. There's no evidence that he was outside the US that long.

There is plenty of ammunition against the guy without the Israeli citizenship allegations, and I would be more inclined to believe that he is telling the truth in this case than not.

Israel often hands out citizenships. They did so in 2014 to thousands of Ukrainian Jews.

>They did so in 2014 to thousands of Ukrainian Jews.
By chartering flights for them to Israel for them to immigrate and apply under the law of return. They didn't just get automatic citizenship before they came without a wait period.

Anyway, not specifically talking about Israel. There are dual citizenships from many countries in US seats of power.

Amendment to enshrine this in law makes sense, since it does represent a clearn conflict of interest.

An amendment to make it law is the most sensible route to avoid a conflict of interest. It wouldn't potentially stop someone from lying about it, although the US intelligence system is pretty damn good at vacuuming up information.

As someone born with multiple citizenships that I have made effort to exercise (example: got a Canadian Citizenship certificate & Canadian passport) , I cannot gain a US security clearance. This has a minor impact with me (I can work at defense contractors, but I cannot touch the computers/software directly, and am always under guard...whereas I could just work for them with a security clearance). If I really wanted to, I could likely mitigate this by renouncing my foreign citizenships. But even that isn't a guarantee. If the government believes that my intent or risk was not acceptable, they could still deny me.

I believe a similar standard should apply to politicians.

the problem is that they can still function as spies/sabateurs, not holding an israeli passport and then still having israel's backing when the time comes for them to need it.

Israel makes dual citizens renounce the other 's citizenship in order to join the knesset

barney sanderstein definitely lived in israel on a communist commune. He spoke about it openly during the debates.

>The biggest threat to the US isn't hacking or another nation's military. It's people holding the highest seats of power being allowed to have dual citizenship.
>At best, dual citizenship represents a conflict of interest. At worse, another nation with hands directly on the levers of power.
>Senators, Reps, and maybe even Governors should hold American citizenship, and only American citizenship.
>This is a restriction in the constitutions of most countries.

No. We will eliminate it for EVERYONE. This circumstance is unacceptable. There is no halfway argument that will be accepted.

No more sucking U.S. welfare benefits while telling us how your other country is better and we should be like the place you left behind. Fuck you, burn and die slow.

>themoscowtimes.com/articles/russia-targets-traitorous-dual-citizenship-holders-35973
>Russia is about to criminalize failure to declare dual citizenship in what lawmakers say is a bid to crack down on the "fifth column" — and the fifth column is duly scared.
>Exposing holders of multiple passports may be the first step to banning dual citizenship, said a holder of U.S. and Russian passports who currently lives on the U.S.' east coast.