Why hasn't there been an Akira anime yet? I thought it was one of the most popular, influential series of all time?

Why hasn't there been an Akira anime yet? I thought it was one of the most popular, influential series of all time?

The movie doesn't count, I'm talking about a full adaptation.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ael7gKPw8BA
youtube.com/watch?v=_b9akEQQJng
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bump.

Would you really want to be the director/studio/whatever that tries to follow that movie up? You think anyone can do as good a job? It's just not worth messing with a classic.

Even if the classic only adapted the manga up to a point and then had its own original ending?

was it?

I mean the movies was popular and influential but I don't know about the manga

The manga was popular and influential, just not in the west.

Fuck man, I wanna borrow Kaneda's bike on a nice evening.

what dd it influence?

I dunno man I wasn't there or anything. There's lots of mangaka who claim to look up to Otomo, so I'd assume a lot of stuff.

Just about everything? Go read that interview between Naoki Urasawa and Hisashi Eguchi if you want to get a sense of just how big an impact Otomo had on manga.

Many mangakas cite AKIRA as the influence for the style they used, including Naruto creator Masashi Kishimoto and Neon Genesis Evangelion’s character designer Yoshiyuki Sadamoto.

Is Akira similar to Boogiepop? The author is shit and the novel is terrible, but somehow great successors made a great use of it.

Stop learning through Youtube vids

>Masashi Kishimoto

It sure shows, did he was inspired by the trainwreck too?

Didn't Oda even say in an interview that the use of perspective in Akira was one of the things that inspired him to create manga as a child? Maybe I'm remembering that wrong, but I seem to recall something like that.

The movie itself didn't even manage to turn a profit when it came out. A completely faithful recreation of the original series would be exorbitantly expensive, or of very poor quality.

As a side note, I don't understand why every time the Akira movie gets brought up on Sup Forums, multiple people instantly chime in and say "The manga's so much better though!" Is it really too much to view the movie and the source material on their own merits?

>The movie itself didn't even manage to turn a profit when it came out.
Where did you pull this shit from?

>As a side note, I don't understand why every time the Akira movie gets brought up on Sup Forums, multiple people instantly chime in and say "The manga's so much better though!" Is it really too much to view the movie and the source material on their own merits?

Sigh. Ok.
The movie is great an influential on its own, But it is nowhere near the level of the manga.

why you may ask? The story on the movie is atrocious if you compare with the manga. They tried to cram in a 2 hour format, I'll give them that but it is a mess, If we are speaking of the animation quality, well that a different subject, because it was top notch and that is why many people rememeber it of the first place.

Bring in here anybody who claims that they understood the story on their first watch of the movie without reading the manga.

I. dare. you.

>Sigh.
Opinion disregarded, now fuck off, kill yourself, and never post on Sup Forums again.

The movie's story is thematically more than enough explored.

Wikipedia states that the movie had a budget of ¥1.1 billion and took in ¥750 million at the Japanese box office. Granted, that doesn't take merchandising and foreign profits into account.

>plotfags

Or you can use creative economical directing like Anno did.

Doesn't need to be full animation.

I've seen the movie once and never read the manga. I don't understand where this fucking meme comes from. It's not tough to understand at all. Also, don't type like a retard.

You come here without half of the knowledge, and yet you claim you dont get it.

Come back when you read the manga then, easy.
And yet the plot fails. It got too abstract at the end in its efforts to compensate for the huge chunk that was left out.

youtube.com/watch?v=ael7gKPw8BA

youtube.com/watch?v=_b9akEQQJng

Akira is easily amongst the greatest manga ever made.

>You come here without half of the knowledge, and yet you claim you dont get it.
>Come back when you read the manga then, easy.
I'm saying the movie wasn't non-sensical you cretin. There wasn't anything that was hard to comperehend, despite what people always seem to claim when the movie is brought up. I understood the movie just fine, what I didn't understand where the misconception that it was tough to follow or something that has me confused. Read the posts you're replying to, for fuck's sake.

How about you learn your shit first. Akira is legendary in the anime industry primarily because of how much of a flop it was. It basically changed the industry over night when people realized that great animation =/= great profit.

>most popular, influential series of all time

Ease up there Kanye; why don't you just fund it yourself if you think it needs one that badly?

We don't need yet another butchered anime adaptation of a legendary series.

I love Boogiepop.

When I was talking about "half the knowledge" it was about you came here speaking of the movie without ever touching the manga and yet you claim in >I've seen the movie once and never read the manga. I don't understand where this fucking meme comes from.

So let me be polite, even if it is like giving roses to the pigs. You claim you got the movie, good for you, but without reading the manga your argument is losing half of its ground.

Go read the manga, its a great experience by itself, then and only then you'll get why people compare the two

Not him, but what the fuck are you talking about? People knew that from day one, that's why the entire TV anime industry is literally based around cheap animation.

He's not disputing about the manga being better or not, he's disputing your claim that no one could understand the movie's story on a single watch.

Why do people keep saying Akira saved the japanese film industry in the 80's? It's shit and know one cared then or now.

>Is it really too much to view the movie and the source material on their own merits?

The movie is an adaptation, and a garbage one at that.

So yes, read the fucking manga or fuck off.

Adaptations of classic 80s manga have become a rarity. Jojo has managed to do quite well... other than that I honestly can't think of anything. It's a shame we'll likely never get a legit Akira adaptation, oh well though. The movie is still somehow really good despite it skipping like 50% of the story, and we've got glorious oversize manga releases in English.

Certainly sucks for series not as fortunate as Akira though.

It conveys all the themes of the manga.

Look at theatrical anime trends in the 80s look at the land mark titles of everyear, look at the rising and rising budgets, until Akira.

Plot doesn't matter.

That's pretty weak evidence to argue that people thought great animation automatically meant great profits, especially since, as I've already noted, using cheap animation so that you can turn a profit is the heart of anime. They were making movies on 1s in the 50s, and then they fucking stopped because it simply couldn't compete economically with limited animation in a large-scale industry. They already knew this.

I didn't make any claims of animation quality. Yes I know that Tezuka and his cheap ass ruined Japanese animation. But you can't deny that the commercial failure of Akira killed interest in high budget films.

>didn't make any claims of animation quality
Then what exactly is "It basically changed the industry over night when people realized that great animation =/= great profit," if not a claim of animation quality?

> Yes I know that Tezuka and his cheap ass ruined Japanese animation
I disagree, I'd rather have a large industry with mostly limited animation, then an industry composed solely of a handful of movies a year adapting child-friendly folktales animated on ones.

> But you can't deny that the commercial failure of Akira killed interest in high budget films
Again, that's not a full summary of your claim, you're leaving out the "when people realized that great animation =/= great profit" part, which is exactly what I've been disputing the entire time.

kanye

i'm not >
>I disagree, I'd rather have a large industry with mostly limited animation, then an industry composed solely of a handful of movies a year adapting child-friendly folktales animated on ones.
It was tongue in cheek.

Why hasn't there been a Godfather tv-show yet? I thought it was one of the most popular, influential series of all time?

Kaneda's bike and the Fenrir are the two coolest fictional bikes in history.

I really need to get around to reading the manga one day. Its been on my backlog for many years now.

>And yet the plot fails

If you weren't such a damn pleb, you'd realize plot deserves the lowest priority in FILM. Given that we're ignoring the fact that the plot was very understandable.

You're an idiot. The manga and film were in production simultaneously and Otomo made full use of both formats. It's nobody else's fault you couldn't understand the plot. The themes were perfectly conveyed on screen.

Why make a shitty low budget tv anime with bad directing, CGI and choppy QUALITY animation when the manga is a masterpiece in illustration?

Fuck all you idiots with your "this shit is popular so why isn't it a live-action/movie/tv show/remake/reboot" bullshit.

Just because something is really good doesn't mean it has to be transformed into all these other forms of media.

Sup Forums doesn't value manga. Nothing is ever 'fully realised' until it's animated regardless of how crappy the animated adaptation ends up being. People don't admit it but they believe manga is a 'lower' medium because it's just still images and doesn't have sound. You have to read and shit, that's hard, people wait until there's an anime. This is the sad reality of Sup Forums.

Do it now. just pick it up and go. I took 7 days, like a book a day.

It's
fucking
worth
it

Seriously, don't do it because I told you to, do it because the story and art and so damn good. Do it because you are a fan of manga. Do it because it can be considered a masterpiece of the modern times, done over 20 years ago.

This. To get the full quality the story deserves, millions would have to be dumped into pure hand drawn animation. Only an insane person would do that.

What?
"The manga is always better" is a rule here

People like you and me are a minority.

That was the old rule. The good rule.

>Adaptations of classic 80s manga have become a rarity.
"Become"? It's natural for only recent franchises to get adaptations. If anything, it's weird how many adaptations of classics we're getting, though a few are still running.