Don't you feel anime needs a series to come along and shake it up like Code Geass or something like that?

Don't you feel anime needs a series to come along and shake it up like Code Geass or something like that?

But we already got Naruto.

we should be getting something new code geass related soon for the 10 year anniversary. Hopefully it is a rebuild

Already done.

Fuck yeah cross ange was AOTY

No. I don't see why. The current trends would continue even if another Code Geass show existed. And Code Geass didn't "shake up" anime like you think it did. The only thing that came as a result was Sunrise repeatedly trying and failing to recapture its success.

Cross Ange did not really have an effect on anime as a whole.

neither did code geass, C;G was just a collection of things that anime already did put put into a newer overall perspective with a decent budget for it to be fleshed out

Code Geass did have an effect. Action series, beyond a few notables, disappeared for about 4 years or so because other studios knew they couldn't match the hype and ostentatious nature of Geass and so all we got were cute girls doing cute things and slice of life type stuff.

Eh to some extent I would agree but instead of "not able to compete" I think some studios did go back to the drawing board on some projects due to C;G's success.

Not enough fujo bait and posing

We're way overdue for another K-on or Madoka

Ironically I think the effect often is the opposite of what you would expect in some cases. Like we all know Madoka really hurt magical girl series rather than helping them. I'd have to analyze before/after Code Geass for series like that to see if it had the same kind of effect. But it wasn't permanent. I think magical girls stuff is still in the same Madoka funk it was in after Madoka aired.

Re:Zero > Code gayass and their anorexic movement

There have been quite a few shows better than code geass, the thing that makes c;g stand out though is lelouch. Honestly without him Reco-G would even be better

Just because a show "shakes things up" or is unique doesn't necessarily mean other, more standard shows that come after it may not be better. But though they may be better there's something more boring and rote about them. They may be less frenetic and rough around the edges, but that adds to the frantic nature of something like Geass.

Code Geass didn't shake up the industry, we haven't had one of those since Evangelion in all honest,y but it was a very interesting and very entertaining show that did influence others (which, as expected, have been lesser and missing the point).

There's been better and worse shows in general, but they're mostly trying to do different things. Better shows with the same objective haven't quite come up. Reco G has its charm but was rather confusing in its storytelling. Code Geass has more plot twists and all, but they don't have Tomino's brand of weird worldbuilding and incomplete conversations even from early on. Of course it's Lelouch that stands up, but it's not like everything else was that confusing.

Not really. In fact, the industry moving towards cute girls doing cute things and slice-of-life can be owed more to Lucky Star, Haruhi and K-On than anything else. The market was already shifting focus to those kinds of anime as opposed to mecha shit or action series. Your belief that action series "disappeared" outside of a few "notables" is massively reductionist; looking at lists from back then, I see a fair amount of action shows. You may not consider them "notable" but your assertion that they somehow disappeared because of Geass is wrong. Code Geass inspired imitators like VVV and GC but it didn't really shift the industry in a new direction. It was just a competent mecha with a cool concept that inspired merchandise and spinoffs like any other, not something that changed the industry.

>re:zerofags being this edgy

Go cry to your REM

It's definitely an exaggeration, but then again I'd say people have exaggerated the effects of other shows before (like Madoka, which all it did was inspire a couple of copycats but didn't change the game, which wasn't truly innovate either).

Agreed.

code geass was mediocre overrated trash, so hopefully never.

Re:Zero can't really match the effect of a Code Geass or other anime original because so many people already know where it's going to go. There's no shock value. Only secondaries who haven't read the LN like those of us here can really get hyped for it. The Japanese look at it totally differently because most of the big fans are watching to see what they already know animated rather than to see what happens next.

True. People have been spoiling Re Zero for months so the effect is less impactful than with something like Code Geass or even Samurai Flamenco