Reject common sense to make the impossible possible!

>Reject common sense to make the impossible possible!

Did any group use fansubs for their bluray rip or am I stuck with this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JHsUfuFVRSQ
youtube.com/watch?v=SxJ4VWoeOzs
youtube.com/watch?v=kPVUEJcD3_4
youtube.com/watch?v=jgERzy8r_do
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The dub is better.

I haven't watched the Blu-rays, but how about [CBM]?

Commie's translations for the movies were the best, though.

You can check mine, faggot.

Man, Yoko always stuck out like a sore thumb. They should have just had Kittan's sisters/Nia be the mascot.

holy shit her boob

I spat out my fucking drink, what the fuck. How can that even be comfortable?

I've tried CBM and EG so far.
I'm sure the translation is better, but it just sounds wrong.

>I spat out my fucking drink

I just like listening to them say dumb inspirational shit in English. Is that so wrong?

The english dubs (with a couple of exceptions) can never capture the pure passion of the original.

I'm more upset that there isn't enough tension in that strap to cause that sort of pinching

It's one of those shows where I watched the dub first and I can't really get into the sub the same way.

What the fuck is going on here

Dubs are bad. The original language whatever you are watching is broadcasted in should be the language you watch it in. There is absolutely no reason to watch a dub unless you're watching with someone who doesn't know how to read or you yourself do not know how to read. I repeat, dubs are not good, and the only reason to watch a dub would be for nostalgia, like in the case of something you watched on cartoon network. People who watch dubs in this way often mistake the feeling of nostalgia they have for the dub actually being good, which is natural, although mistaken.

Watch subs or raws.

The top portion of the strap is clenched by her boob-hand, creating tension in the part of the strap going over her shoulder but creating slack in the lower half.

Or something.

>over her shoulder
*under her arm

>you can't like things because I don't like them

If you like hearing voice actors who get paid $10/hr and don't really have an idea of what the characters are that they are voicing, that's your problem. I'm just here to make a post explaining why you're dumb.

Post-timeskip dub was on par with the sub, if not quite a bit better than it. Kittan, Simon, Nia, Antispiral are all examples where the dub actors put in a lot of passion and fun into the acting.

Like you said, there are always exceptions and this is one of them.

thanks senpai, I don't know where I'd be without you voicing the same sentiment constantly parroted here

That's not even me, it's some other guy.

You're even more wrong then!

>That's not even me, it's some other guy.
Then who are you? Are you me?

>anglos thinking english dubs don't sound as bad to everyone else as nip voices sound to them

It clearly hasn't been parroted enough, because you're still defending a shit dub.

It's kind of unfair to generalize anglos when you just know 90% of the dumb shit, like advocating dubs over subs, comes from amerilards.

>animation is timed to the original language's dialogue
>dubs are out of sync with the animation, causing shitty abbreviations, complete rewrites and even worse things
Dubfags will defend this.

>implying anyone cares about what britcucks think

What about inappropriate or nonexistent intonation and lack of emotion in the voices?

#rekt

Yeah.

Anyone?

I checked the dub because of this trolling and holy shit Kami sounds awful.

>lets ignore the many cases of well done dub works because 4kids butchered the naruto dub

Why don't you name all the good dubs for us? I think it'd be nice.

..na

At least when you're watching subs, unless you understand moon, you don't feel that the way they talk is awkward.

In most dubs you generally get that awkward feeling. Delivering chuuni lines and having Nip words be pronounced in another language's accent is disgusting.

Not him, but: Baccano.
Done.

panty and stocking

>dub is better
As a human, it is almost always better to watch art in its original language. Because idiosyncrasies of tone, emotion, and expression often do not carry over in the translation. Either because of the change of actors, misunderstanding during the interpretive process, or because of a lack of care when a work is one-step removed from its creator

Garzeys Wing. Baccanofags wish they had a dub this good.

>Dubs are bad.
As a trend? Sure. As a rule? Fuck no. Reading text literally cannot give the same cerebral response as seeing and hearing someone say something simultaneously.

Cowboy Bebop

The Baccano dub is passable at best. Most people post this video to defend the Baccano dub, and it's not very good.
youtube.com/watch?v=JHsUfuFVRSQ

>its a subs vs dubs thread
This is now a ghost stories thread.
youtube.com/watch?v=SxJ4VWoeOzs

How would dubbers interpret ara ara~?

Well passable is a pretty high bar for dubs.

While I agree with you, that simply isn't the case for someone who is unable to speak the original language. The cerebral understanding that oniichan is different than oniisama does not carry the same weight as understanding it in your gut, so to speak. Most things don't properly utilize subtlety in a way that is culturally exclusive, so what's lost often doesn't impact the core meaning. For that matter , to someone outside the sphere, it may make no difference at all, and not noticing the difference renders it pointless.
You're literally saying "it doesn't sound awkward because I don't understand the words". I guarantee you Japanese people find it just as awkward. Thise that let themselves get bothered by it, anyway.

Ah,
Oh, my
Goodness
Oho

Cowboy Bebop aired on cartoon network, so dubfags often jump to it as an example when they play on people's nostalgia.
I don't even have anything to say to this.
Part of the reason why dubs are so bad is that the hearing and seeing is not simultaneous. If you can't relate to subs because you can't understand intonation and therefore the feelings behind the words, you probably have some kind of mild autism or retardation.

>Cowboy Bebop aired on cartoon network, so dubfags often jump to it as an example when they play on people's nostalgia.
So you're saying it's bad?

>The cerebral understanding that oniichan is different than oniisama does not carry the same weight as understanding it in your gut, so to speak
If people weren't dubfags, this shit would become a gut-instinct after watching more anime.

Yes.

If you watch enough anime you'll know what it's like growing up Japanese

Yes, I am. I've seen some of it, and it is bad.

>Part of the reason why dubs are so bad is that the hearing and seeing is not simultaneous.
What? It matches up just as well as Japanese, i.e. not at all.
>If you can't relate to subs because you can't understand intonation and therefore the feelings behind the words, you probably have some kind of mild autism or retardation.
What does that have to do with how the brain processes letter differently than aural words? For that matter, Japanese has very different intonation than English, and Japanese dubs are very much nonrepresentive of actual Japanese speach. In fact, most English dubs are about the same level of divergence from reality.

>You're literally saying "it doesn't sound awkward because I don't understand the word
I phrased that wrong. I meant that you wouldn't tell that the flow of speech is natural or not. Listening to english dubs as an english speaker, you can pick up awkward deliveries and whatnot, whereas this isn't much the case in the original language.

Then you're wrong

So, yeah, it only sounds less awkward because you can't tell it sounds awkward by way of not knowing the language.

Are japanese voice actor actually good? Are they viewed at the same level live actors are?

Well, the nips can point it out for all I care. I'd rather not be bothered by constantly noticing piss-poor delivery of lines for the sake of listening in my own language. It ruins immersion more than reading subs ever will.

They aren't, but a lot are (relatively) well-known outside of voice-overs. Live-action is still bigger, and even certain US celebs are probably more well-known. It's a bigger industry, though.

>What? It matches up just as well as Japanese, i.e. not at all.
The only reason you can say this is because you don't understand any Japanese, so you will defend dubs. To you, a dub is the same as the raw, because you don't understand language.
>What does that have to do with how the brain processes letter differently than aural words? Japanese has very different intonation than English, and Japanese dubs are very much nonrepresentive of actual Japanese speach. In fact, most English dubs are about the same level of divergence from reality.
I am not talking about the difference between actual Japanese speech and the Japanese used in anime. The intonation in anime is something you can pick up quickly, and if you argue otherwise, you are only proving how stupid dubfags are.

No they've all been sucking this entire time. Every single one of them. You just never knew because you can't understand Japanese. Enjoy your redpill.

Fair enough, though that's not a real argument of whether English dubs can match the quality of Japanese dubs. If that was your intention, which doesn't seem to be the case.

So how about that blu-ray rip using fansubs? Anyone?

>[this particular english dub] isn't bad guys therefore english dubs = good
You're still failing to realise that you have language bias. It doesn't sound good, it just sounds familiar. All the examples you could pull out as evidence are evidence of your preference, not quality. Preferences aren't necessarily based on quality. Remember that I haven't said that japanese voice acting and its conventions are necessarily good. But they aren't interpretative like foreign dubs are, that gives them a distinct advantage in how appropriate they sound regardless of attempts at measuring objective quality. It doesn't matter whether an anime is 'western-esque' or not, it's an artificial image of what is western, as perceived and constructed by the japanese. Just like when americans make movies about foreign countries and the characters speak english, changing the language wouldn't improve anything because the dialogue is written by americans.

It sounds awkward, but that is the point. It is a cartoon. There is no reason to watch a dub when it is not only awkward but also terrible.

>The only reason you can say this is because you don't understand any Japanese
I'm a subfag but wew lad

next you'll tell me anime was a mistake

I'm not pretty sure, but some seiyuu do have a pretty big cult following.

They're probably not viewed the same way as cartoon VAs in america, though.

>John DiMaggio? Who's that? Oh, a cartoon voice actor? ..who cares?

It really depends on the show. Shows with a more "western" aesthetic or influence would obviously have a dub leagues better than the original (Any of Nightow's works, Hellsing, Outlaw Star, etc.), while any show heavy on dialogue benefit by having a track in the same language as the viewer (Ghost in the Shell, Darker Than Black, Psycho Pass). And then you have cases where the dub is okay, but the soundtrack is replaced with something entirely more fitting (Street Fighter II movie, arguably Dragonball Z). And then you have 80's/90's OVA dubs, which are hilarious and are absolutely the only way to watch them. So yeah, it's a case by case basis.

And watching raws is fucking retarded if you don't know the language, especially if it's a plot and dialogue heavy show.

>The only reason you can say this is because you don't understand any Japanese
It's literally the opposite, fucker. Furthermore, I don't need to understand the language to see that the syllables do not match the cadence of the mouth.
>I am not talking about the difference between actual Japanese speech and the Japanese used in anime.
Neither am I.
>The intonation in anime is something you can pick up quickly
Someone who doesn't understand the language can't understand it as easily because the same intonation can mean very different things across languages. It's obvious that, broadly, emotions sound the same across languages, but any subtlety is lost 100% because each sentence is veing taken as a whole in tone rather than word-by-word. If you read a line of text, that text doesn't carry tone, and a non-speaker can't tell which words are being emphasized at all because they literally aren't being used.

A show or movie with good directing should in theory work even if you can't understand the dialogue, because it's a visual medium. It's when the character doesn't emote or gesture that the viewer is forced to focus on what is said rather than how it is being said.

>I don't even have anything to say to this.
u wut

>It really depends on the show. Shows with a more "western" aesthetic or influence would obviously have a dub leagues better than the original
Dubfags often come back to this point, but unfortunately it is not true. As you can see, this particular poster named Hellsing and Outlaw Star as good dubs which would both be choices influenced by childhood nostalgia. He also names Dragonball Z, which cements this point.

>while any show heavy on dialogue benefit by having a track in the same language as the viewer (Ghost in the Shell, Darker Than Black, Psycho Pass)
Again, Ghost in the Shell aired dubbed on American TV, and there is no way anyone could say that Darker than Black or Psycho-Pass is better as a dub.

>It's when the character doesn't emote or gesture that the viewer is forced to focus on what is said rather than how it is being said.
Or when there is actual information being stated and not raw emotions.

See

>A show or movie with good directing should in theory work even if you are deaf, because it's a visual medium.

So, basically, "It's all a matter of opinion" and "anyone who actively leans one way is just biased".

Are you saying you can magically understand any animated show on a different language well enough just because it's "well directed"? Because if so, wew lad.

The point is that if you're not retarded you should be able to understand the dialogue by piecing together the language by watching the subs. Anime is a visual medium, but that doesn't mean that the audio is secondary. The original audio is the way that the media was meant to be watched, and the way it was watched in its original language. There is no reason to watch a dub.

I sometimes watch dubs to see how the English voice for a certain character is
youtube.com/watch?v=kPVUEJcD3_4
I never thought I'd hear OVER ACTING in an Eng Dub
This guy is chewing the fucking scenery.

>Are you saying you can magically understand any animated show on a different language well enough just because it's "well directed"?
Any show, movie, or game

Yes. Visual communication is much more universal than spoken language.

Yes but you can't download it because nobody wants to seed for needy fuccbois like you so they put it behind private trackers.

If japanese voice actors are so good, why can't I understand them? Checkmate subfags

Have you seen Lain? Eva?

I have a question for you, dubfags; coming from an ukrainian.

How do you tolerate the girls' voices? They sound so obviously like 30 year olds emulating 5 year olds; it's like they're mocking people who watch this. They don't nearly have the vocal range of the japanese, and it sounds way off.

And yes, I know how normal women speaking in conversational japanese sound, and that everybody doesn't speak like in anime.

I don't see the point

Even you can understand it if you use the subs. Just give it a shot, crossboarder.

> As you can see, this particular poster named Hellsing and Outlaw Star as good dubs which would both be choices influenced by childhood nostalgia. He also names Dragonball Z, which cements this point.

Two problems with your little theory

1.) I watched Hellsing well after graduating high school.

2.) Hellsing didn't even air on basic cable in the states, it aired on Starz, so it had comparatively little people watching compared to the stuff airing on Toonami at the time. Furthermore, the Hellsing that aired on Starz was the original Gonzo anime, when most people mention watching Hellsing, they usually refer to the Ultimate OVA's, which didn't air on Adult Swim until 2014. Last time I checked, 2014 wasn't considered "nostalgic".

Black Lagoon is also a case where the dub is unanimously agreed to be better, and not only was it watched by adults well used to anime but, surprise surprise, it didn't air on basic cable until recently either.

youtube.com/watch?v=jgERzy8r_do
This is what dubfags think is good, you heard it here first.

You should pause to consider some alternatives, such as the shows not being as good as you think they are because they're so reliant on dialogue, or that you've completely misunderstood them by focusing solely on the dialogue.

Subs are bad. The original language whatever you are watching is broadcasted in should be the language you watch it in. There is absolutely no reason to watch a Sub unless you're watching with someone who doesn't know how to read or you yourself do not know how to read. I repeat, subs are not good, and the only reason to watch a sub would be for nostalgia, like in the case of something you watched on cartoon network. People who watch subs in this way often mistake the feeling of nostalgia they have for the sub actually being good, which is natural, although mistaken.

Watch dubs or raws.

>I wonder how good an argument is when the subject is totally interchangeable and not actually tied to the reasons given.

You literally won't understand a lick of what's going on in either show if you don't know the language or have subtitles.

Elfen Lied had bad directing. A couple of the actors did pretty well in that light, though. Thanks for showing me this clip; I can add another to my short lisy of "acceptable English moe"

Not that guy, but yes. Although, I feel like I have one correction to make.

The voice's tone and intonation, and the visual direction both matter. Even if you don't understand a word, the voice intonation is similar across many languages.

Hellsing is only watchable for Wakamoto, but everyone who comes here from Sup Forums will defend it. They'll say the dub is good, or they'll say the animation is good (which might be the only other good thing about it) or they'll say the story is good, but it's a shit adaptation and the manga was better.

I've never seen either in English.
The point isn't that they're good, but rather that understanding the dialogue's actual meaning is important.