What are some manga that changed gears and are totally different from what they were at first, Sup Forums?

What are some manga that changed gears and are totally different from what they were at first, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/GenreShift/AnimeAndManga
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

HxH

Kinniukman.
>Starts of as Parody of Ultraman, Kamen Rider
>Becomes Best Wrestling Manga

Wun Piss
Dragon Ball

Bleach.
Teenage ghostbusters -> Saint Seiya Hakusho

wrong
if you mean to tell how Chimera Ants Arc the tone shifted to a very dark one, then you weren't paying attention on York New or the Hunter's Exam

>Wun Piss
It's still sort of the same
It's just more plot central now, which is a good thing
Early chapters felt like filler garbage, I'm talking about pre Alabasta and Drum Island arc

This.

This thing.
>back then: loli harem with a competent and likeable MC, large supporting cast of colorful and varied characters with a lot of cute girls
>now: shoujo heroine Kaoru with her reverse harem and edgy fujobait terrorist Hyobu compete with each other to see who is the bigger Mary Sue, support cast either doesn't appear or spends most of the time worshipping Kaoru or Hyobu

At least the art is better.

>Early chapters felt like filler garbage
What's the matter? Not enough fights for you?

Rosario + Vampire, Berserk, Hitman Reborn, D.Gray Man. Funny how all of these started as some genre and became shounenshit.

Negima

DGM isn't even shounenshit. It's a mess nobody understand what it's about.

Air Gear started at some point to take proportions the author had no idea how to handle. Personally I thought it was a mess from the start but everyone agrees that it becomes largely incomprehensible as the story goes by.

>Dragon Ball
>totally different from what they were at first
Not really.

Mob Psycho went from comedy to straightforward shounen.

Farm slice of life was a mistake

It was boring to read, it takes awhile to pick up
And Drum Island lacked fighting but the flashback with Hiluluk actually made me tear up.
Even the first fight with the initial Baroque Works people were boring
Most of them were shitty villains except Crocodile of course and Miss Goldenweek (she's not a villain but I love her power and cute design).

Picture unrelated

Is Ultraman punching CIA?

Rosario Vampire went from haremshit to a good battle manga where the best girl wins and the same other best girl dies

Hitman Reborn

Wasn't Reborn always battle shounen?

Medaka Box

Air Gear

Try defending this
It went from a great interesting episodic premise of the main character being a devil attorney redeeming cases of people being sent to hell while being innocent
It had a nice mix of action, mystery, and mostly suspence. It was great, the cases had likable characters and were memorible for the most part. There was even a nice card system implemented in the manga.
Few cases later it drops the act and goes full battle genre and turns into a smelly piece of shit
The shift to the genre was so retarded too
It just shows this childhood freind get blown up in front of Kukabara's house (MC) so he drops his attorney job and goes straight for his evil brother in hell who in the end turns out he wasn't so evil after all.
I forgot, then there was a training arc where Kukabara had to learn to combine the use of holy and demonic energy to get a new form by playing tennis

Awful, just awful

The beautiful thing about Mob Psycho is that it's usually on track to be a battle shonen until either Mob or Reigen throws it off.

First 20 chapters were gag-like if I remember correctly, with reborn shooting tsunayoshi with a flame bullet to make him do the shit that he's too timid to normally.
Things change when Mokuro shows up, and it officially becomes a battle shonen.

Reign is literally perfect

Bastard! is pretty much the manga equivalent to "From dusk till dawn".

Fire Punch.

Dorohedoro turned from action mystery to demon sol to something that can't really be genred

And arguably the worst Battle Shounen in history.
Like seriously that shit was doing Bleach shit that was beyond Bleach shit
>LET ME POWER UP TO MY SUPER ULTRA FORM AFTER MY BASE FORM BEAT YOUR GARY STU TONFA MAN NOT ONCE, BUT TWICE
>OH NO YOUR EYES REMIND ME OF THAT ONE GIRL I EASILY MANIPULATED AND MIND RAPED! I CAN'T DO ANYTHING
>HEY, THESE ARE THE *REAL* FUNERAL WREATHS
>ENDING? LOL NO, YOU CANNED ME, FUCK YOU. I WON'T EVEN LET ONE OF THE GENERIC GIRLS WIN

The entirety of Goku's childhood has a far more humorous tone than his adulthood
It gets a lot more serious from the moment Raditz shows up

He should've just plowed them both, he's gonna become a goddamn Mafia boss, as long as he's not a complete and utter dickwad no one would care. Fuck Tsunayoshi and that mangaka honestly.

Apart from the mecha stuff nothing really changed

Berserk

Dark fantasy > Adventure in beautiful magical land

I think the real turning point was already at King Piccolo.

>random Vampires out of nowhere

your a mistake

The death of Krillin is when you realize shit got real.

I just wanted something simple and easy to swallow about a homo slowly becoming a hero in an apocalypse, but noooo

Trusts the Hellhound, he will make Berserk great again

An obvious one.

Narutaru in a "total mental breakdown" way

Oh god I completely forgot that this clusterfuck existed. I can't believe it went on as long as it did after the fucking plot flip which happened not too long into the series I think.

Also if I remembered correctly, didn't the author draw more tiddies to try to prolong the series or something? Such a shame.

YYH

>Alien angel viruses and black holes

REMOVE MIKAZUKI

Kilico. I don't even want to post a picture, because then I would have to relive it again. Just don't read it.

[help]

I'm actually curious if LNs have something akin to a manga's one shot that gets released to the public.

I don't know what the fuck happened here

It was fine when it was about underground skate racing/battling and shit but then it somehow ended up becoming about world domination with giant Stands and shit.

Medeka Box.

yea i fucking loved Air Gear but WTF happening by the end

No

at least it looks p cool

Oh! Great happened

it surprised me
>started out as a slice of life, got dark really fast
>s4 when, they should start to get to the serious stuff in s4

Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro

Started off as an awesome murder mystery manga, ended as a generic shounen battle manga.

Such a shame the first half was one of my favourites.

Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru

Starts off as a fairly generic seinen drama/comedy with a focus on the protagonist learning karate as a driving plotline. Then becomes a super serious sports manga that has the main character take part in karate tournements chapter after chapter. I still like the manga, but i miss some of the generic drama of older arcs.

Same thing that happened with Tenjou Tenge. The series became a giant clusterfuck. Oh Great can draw, but the man cannot write a coherent plot to save his life.

Why do you feel the need to state facts that have already been mentioned countless times already?
What does that add to the discussion when the exact same thing is said literally everytime someone talks about O!G?

>Berserk
>Punpun
>Eden: It's an Endless World!
>Aku no Hana
>Kokou no Hito

Just to name a few

I should also add that learning karate was just an excuse to introduce characters and plotlines rather then be the absolute focus. The best example of how jarring it felt for me, would be if you imagine that Suzuka did become a sports manga instead of staying as a romance.

Magi

Anyone reading Stravangaza Isei no Hime? It was literally one full volume of slice of life comedy fanservice with a clumsy princess and it suddenly went full edgy violent battle manga and the princess suddenly became a killing machine.

Is sensei raping his disciples as a comic relief in early or later parts of manga?

It even has edgy fanservice now.

fucking Shadow Star

starts out like Madoka all happy and magical then pretty soon full limb ripping and rape

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/GenreShift/AnimeAndManga

Most obvious was Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru. From violent psychopathic martial art practitioner to fantasy land MMA. But it's shit, so no one cares.

I have a feeling Ghost Tits will go the same route.

>It gets a lot more serious from the moment Raditz shows up
Besides there were serious moments in the first half like Tao Pai Pai,General Blue offing one of his soilders because he was picking his nose etc.

This had a sequel right? Shame it was never translated. Minoru makes an appearance and spars with one of the new protagonists, beating him with no effort. He also appears again later one depressed because he thinks Nana( his love interest from the first series) got gangbanged by a bunch of black guys while she was in America. Though it turned out to be a misunderstanding, it was hilarious.

If you are talking about the brazilian jiu-jitsu guy raping men around the university campus, he had a small arc near the beginning. Otherwise im not sure what you mean, as i dont remember a "sensei" raping his disciples.

If anything the brazillian guy raped the sensei in Okinawa arc. Piece of shit manga. I regret reading it.

I don't know, there was thread about it on Sup Forums. Didn't read it though. But that's probably it if that's the only occurence of rape in the series.

As much as I enjoyed the Babanomics arc, I miss the old dungeon crawling and adventures from the beginning of the series. At least Alibaba finally got a waifu.

>Wun Piss
>totally different

It could have easily been 1000 chapters of dungeon crawling if the author didn't get caught up in world building and her husbando.

I just started reading it but damn, Ohtaka sure knows how to draw beautiful girls. Pic related is literal perfection.

Is this the series with tons of male on male rape then? I remember a thread about some martial arts guy who raped people but I don't know if this is it

Iroha

Episode 1
>work is hard
>some people are not a fan of mc
>generally not happy

Episode 10
>lol everyone loves me
>i can do whatever i want
>oh no baa-chan will scold me but i'm still going to run around and have adventures

>ctrl f helck
>phrase not found
disappointed desu

what
it was always going to be about a guy with magic sun breath killing a vampire, the first few chapters were for explaining the backstory
unless you mean stands, but that was made up just to replace ripple

source?

Lurk more.

I don't know if Helck completely qualifies, there was plenty of foreshadowing that shit was going to hit the fans.

i personally am not the type of guy to read too hard between the lines desu.
the only thing i remember was chuckling at the first few chapters then suddenly YOU SHOULD SMILE DONT CRY

This series doesn't have tons of male on male rape, it does have a character introduced near the beginning (brazilian guy) that is a homosexual and rapes good looking men. He joins the protags karate club and is a comic relief character that threatens to bum him occasionally. No actual rape or sex is drawn or depicted, just implied.

The demographic changed from shounen to seinen in Part 7, and then it goes from a straight battle manga to a mystery series with fights and comedy ib Part 8.

Well, Helck had always been talking about how he wanted to kill all humans in the early chapters, despite being a human himself. It was either brain damage or severe trauma. We got the latter. I think the author simply started off as comedy to give the tragedy part a greater impact on the reader and also to get a solid fanbase early - since it's already full of edge manga and if helck had started as that nobody would've really paid attention to it.

prison school

>threads like these
>get interested in reading some of the listed series but know I shouldn't

That just makes me want to read it

Why the chapters separated into parts though? Is this Ura Sunday thing?

People keep posting about shit that was lighthearted and got real out of nowhere

I know this is probably infinitely harder to find but is there any series where it starts out edgy and/or violent and becomes all cheery sol ?