Is Gendo Ikari a criticism of masculinity?

Is Gendo Ikari a criticism of masculinity?

On the one hand he is a total alpha: enigmatic, a womanizer, the commander of a powerful organization, dutiful, disciplined etc...

On the other hand he is 100% only work without a private life. He doesn't give a shit about shinji and he can't let go. Instead of accepting the death of his wive and move on he tries to risk everything and sacrifice Shinjis happiness and the whole humanity just so he can see her again. It's not even about her or his family. It's about his ego. He sees his wive as a possession, instead of a grown individual.

Thoughts?

You're shit at analyzing things

Better than your mom.

His waifu is dead. He has no reason to go on outside of work.

>He sees his wive as a possession, instead of a grown individual.
interesting theory, but is there any specific evidence of this?

Yui wanted that Shinji is happy. He knew that she loved Shinji. If he really cared about her, he would have been a better father. He ignored her wishes. It was only about him.

Is OP a criticism of heterosexuality?

His posts are presented as though they are respectable, but they are actually super gay.

It really makes you think.

Your mom is super gay.

Oh and btw I want to see you after your mom died and your father just dropped you off when you were just fucking 4 at some uncle who treats you like shit. I want to see how you fare without parents and with a father who ignores you and only contacts you when he needs you to pilot his robots and be a pawn in his game.

Am I gay because I empathize with Shinji and dislike how Gendo treated him? Well if you think this way, sure, then I'm gay.

It's not. Anno said he was designed around his own distant father.

you say it as though it's a possible scenario for anyone
also
>I'm gay

You explained his characteristics well but got into projecting at the end.

Gendo did literally nothing wrong, he was the only "good" character in evangelion.

No, he's just a character.

I doubt that's what Anno was going for, but I suppose it's possible.
Analyzing his works are about as productive as trying to pick the man's head for answers desu.

It's more general than masculinity. You left out his destruction of the reality of Yui vis-a-vis her photographs for a fantasy of her he was never so devoted to while she lived and the degree to which he anthropomorphized Eva-01.

There are no good characters in Eva. If you're looking for "good" and "bad" in Eva, you're missing the point.

It's interesting. Gendo escaped in a fantasy world, just like Shinji. In that regard they are both similar.

Gendo is just what Shinji would've eventually become.

NGE makes a point of every character doing it. Every contact between an angel and a human mind, the angel's mystified by the human consciously denying information they're aware of and the human smashing themself apart against their own brain.

You're talking about Gendo and Yui who before the series began were working on Human Instrumentality, a plan to merge all human souls and dissolve individuality to create a supreme being specifically so no one will ever feel pain from loneliness or insecurity.

I don't think you really put enough thought into the motivations and character dynamics, it sounds like you're moralizing from your narrow, personal perspective.