A shame, you were a good person.

LET'S ALL LOVE LAIN

And all the fears you are rather obsessed with

I am me!

PRESENT DAY heh...
PRESENT TIME
HAHAHAHAHA

Who the fuck is Lain?

I DON'T BELIEVE ANYBODY FEELS THE WAY I DO ABOUT YOU NOW!

>tfw I'm only at ep 5 since 4 months now

I finished this series just yesterday. I still have so many questions.

Is Lain the original Re:Zero?

>not binge watching it all
>or at least spacing the show out so that you can watch it on free time
See the filename, famm

Nobody. Lain isn't a real person. She's not even a metaphor or anything. She's literally just a few lines of code

sorry

She's from an anime called "Serial Experiments Lain."

The first few episodes mind fuck you in a good way.

The last few fuck you up in a confusing way.

Turn around and talk to you.

Was Lain a being that grew spontaneously from the Wired? Was she created in some way by human design? Did she exist in some form before the creation of the Wired? Is Lain Jesus Christ?

>Was Lain a being that grew spontaneously from the Wired? Was she created in some way by human design?
Yes
>Did she exist in some form before the creation of the Wired?
This one I don't have it very clear, they talked about a "wired" that already existed in the world before the one we are aware of, and it got connected to ours at some point.

lain is literally just an archetype

a meme made material

Not memeing but was she autistic?

and you know what they say will murder you.

no

A E S T H E T I C
youtu.be/JlBLcLdTYr4

I wonder how well the show would be received if it aired this season.

Probably shunned because new anime can't be good mentality.

So did Masami Eiri actually create Lain or did Lain exist before The Wired became a thing, and she just didn't notice herself?

It's strange how Lain was able to point out that Eiri didn't come up with the protocol himself.

And she said The Wired is just a connection created from material world to "another place" so they should not be merged together. The Wired should not be considered the root of the reality.

Does it mean that she was an actual angel sent from "heaven" that's beyond The Wired and reality?

I would be full of people claiming this show stole the idea from Madoka or something.

MOOOOOOODDDDDSSS

I want to fuck Lain while she wears the bear suit.

Go watch the animations from the PS1 video game. I consider it a prequel to the anime. The most common interpretation is that is is a parallel universe, but dammit, it is "serial experiments" not "parallel experiments." The game covers Lain's story from the ages of 11 to 14.

Then, after that rewatch the first half of episode 10. The two gods swap perspectives and have a nice little chat.

Lain existed in the Wired before Eiri got there. She uploaded herself into the wired before she killed her physical self. Eiri ripped part of her out of the Wired and stuck it into the physical layer.

You can't really call the wired, the physical, or even "heaven" different places. It is all the same place, just different layers of reality.

fuck off

The pacing of the show is so fucking sluggish and slow that I have to ask:

Which drug do I take to be able to enjoy it?

Accela

A real drug, moron.

Probably an amphetamine. Something that keeps you very focused on exactly what is going on. Lain also seems to be like one of those shows you need to binge watch, if you go for too long between episodes you lose bits and pieces of things that happened and it's hard to see where everything fits together.

At the end of the anime, after Lain reset everything, we get the scene with everyone going about their lives like normal. Chisa is also still alive.

Now, as far as I could tell, Chisa somehow discovered or realized that in death, she could continue to live in the wired. Additionally, Lain says that they walked home together once. However, it didn't seem to me like they were particularly close as friends before or after that.

My question is, when and how did Chisa find out that she could continue living in the wired after death? Did Lain tell her on that walk home, or did Lain in the wired contact Chisa and tell her? (or do we know at all?)

Additionally, after Lain reset everything and erased her existence, does that fundamentally change anything about how the wired works? I think I remember Eiri was still alive at the point which we are shown. He's walking off mumbling about quitting or something. Does Lain prevent him from developing Protocol 7, and thus stop him from being able to exist after death in the wired?

whatever Lain could be
wherever Lain stood we
anticipated the code
information road we rode
so join us immediately

Don't force yourself, Lain is just not for everyone.

Neither of your questions has a definitive answer: Eiri's being alive though is the simpler though - if he didn't throw himself in front of a train, then he wasn't about to transfer his consciousness and subsequently influence Lain (how far he got on the Protocol isn't really important if it doesn't lead to his suicide). Chisa simply doesn't have a backstory - maybe she figured things out on her own, maybe her suicide followed Eiri/Knight shenanigans, we're never given a clear indication either way.

Ah, that all makes sense. I do have another question though.

In the original timeline (while Lain is figuring out she's not actually a real person), is it possible for anyone to continue to exist in the wired at death? The way I understood the Protocol 7 stuff, it seemed like anyone could technically continue on in the wired once they died. Is this wrong? It seemed like maybe you needed to know that it was possible to do, but even Chisa figured it out so it can't be difficult.

With that being said, if it is the case that life would continue for anyone after death in the Wired, why were the Knights assassinated by the Corporation (those two men in black guys) once their names were released? Once they died, they could continue on living in the wired, and mostly keep up with their antics, or at least spread awareness of how regular people could abandon their physical bodies and live in the wired. Though, I will admit, having a physcial person come to you and say that you can continue life in the wired when you die is a little more convincing than someone saying that through email or whatever.

Unless it comes down to suicide being the only way to "transfer" into the wired upon death. Chisa and Eiri (and Lain if the PSX game is canon) all committed suicide and then continued life in the wired.

>it seemed like anyone could technically continue on in the wired once they died. Is this wrong?
Maybe. It's hard to say anything about all people, but clearly it required a degree of awareness (psychic power or some kind of enlightenment) to move from the physical world to the wired while retaining a personal identity. I don't think suicide was necessarily important, it's just that suicide was Eiri and Chisa's means of getting to the other side as quickly as possible.

As for Lain's actions in the game, I don't think anything in game should be taken as canon for the anime version and vice versa, they're just too different. As an aside, have you tracked down R.D. Laing's 'do you love me' yet? It's the book mentioned in the game and it's well worth reading, it's a collection of poetry about mental illness.

>how did Chisa find out that she could continue living in the wired after death

So we knew the Accel guy killed himself because the Wired Lain led him to do so. The train girl and Chisa could be the same. Or maybe it's Knights who fucked up the sister. But I still don't understand the purpose of Knights doings. They said it's for fun or maybe spreading message for Eiri. But why did Eiri killed them off? Just to show that body is worthless?

Eiri killed them off because they could have challenged him for control of the Wired, the only obstacle that stood in his way was Lain

I was under the impression that Lain was the one who released the names. She did it as punishment for Eiri's pride, in proclaiming himself to be God. Whether she intended for them to be killed is unclear to me, though it was probably a possibility considered by Lain. Additionally, Lain was angry with Eiri not only for proclaiming himself a god, but for also trying to draw Lain into the wired for good, which was not something she accepted yet, or at least didn't accept if if mean becomming subservient to Eiri. Eiri took full credit for what was happening with the boundary between the wired and the physical world, which Lain was beginning to realize was more due to her than him. Or perhaps she didn't think that boundary should be broken. Maybe a little bit of both really.

Also, Eiri acknowledged that he was only a god because he had followers. Without followers, Eiri's ability to manipulate the real world, so long as the boundary between the wired and the physcial world existed, was hampered by his inability to act as a physcial being could act. Eiri did manifest himself physically, but it was a rough and messy ordeal, not something that he could use to attract more followers.

Lain a cute, CUTE!

Makes sense. But it's still pretty confusing because he said he created Knights so he can have believers to be qualified as a god.

I assume he does want to be a god that's why he's trying to break the barrier to get control of the physical world. Maybe the believer thing is bullshit and he only created Knights for Lain. So once Lain was ready to fulfill his plan he killed off the tools.

Yes I think it was Lain who released the names. The problem was that client ordered the suits men to kill off Knights turned out to be working with Eiri. That's why I think Eiri intended to kill them in the end. Maybe it's because the worlds are about to merge so there's no reason for physical believers to exist anymore.

No, he created (captured?) the Knights for himself, to cement his godhood. They likely existed before he killed himself, but they didn't have an object of worship.
Eiri didn't kill them off, those creepy guys in black did. He wouldn't kill his own followers, that risks his godhood.

yes

>He wouldn't kill his own followers, that risks his godhood.

Was the fact that Lain even wiped Arisu's memory in her major reset the ultimate rebuke of Eiri's methods and belief? Like Eiri said, a god can only exist if he/she has worshippers. Lain left memories of herself with no one, and thus by Eiri's definition, she is not a God.

I think that can be interpreted in two ways:

In one way, it was a rebuke to Eiri to prove that Lain is a god, but that she also doesn't need followers to be able to exert her will within the wired. Again, her rebuke in this manner would accomplish proving Eiri wrong and negating his theories on what it means to continue existing in the wired after death.

or,

It was a way to prevent her from becomming Eiri. Eiri was born a regular human, but then ascended into a god-like status by incorporating himself into the wired. He gained omnipotence and immortality. Lain did not want this path, and it was not something she had a desire to pursue. By eliminating all traces of herself from the physical world, she assured that no one could emulate her or claim to be a follower of hers. In the new world she created, Lain does not exist, and thus has no influence in the world. In this interpretation, she is agreeing with Eiri's point that a god is only a god so long as he/she has worshippers in the real world.

But... ascending by suicide is the path she took in the game. I think your first interpretation is the more correct one.

Yes. I think the idea is coherent.
Like Lain said if you are not remembered, you don't exist anymore. And Eiri as a human being was scared of the same thing. He just translated it into God's perspective, no believers means no God anymore.

Maybe it's just what humans assume God would fear because that's what they fear themselves.

In the end Lain chose to erase her existence because she thought instead of being remembered and worshipped while letting everyone fall into misery, people's well being was what she really wanted because she loved them. She was lonely so she still appeared to Alice, just never with the identity of a God anymore.

Maybe the author was trying to say that's what an actual God would do if she loved people. Not the pseudo one that feared to be forgotten.

>Like Eiri said, a god can only exist if he/she has worshippers. Lain left memories of herself with no one, and thus by Eiri's definition, she is not a God.

But she isn't. Thats why she talks to god in episode 13 Ego. Her "father" in the clouds is the real God almighty.

I always view lain as more a saint of the wired if anything. Like how saints get attributes or circumstances pinned to them so people can call them up in prayer

And I mean she isn't like she definitively isn't.

So your second option hereis more correct

Did people actually like Lain?

Honestly the show's animation was so terrible I couldn't even focus on the retarded story.

1998 anime user.

The story was significantly more important than graphics. Like older games used to be.

If you can't make it look good with what you have then that's your problem. Ranking story, visuals, soundtrack etc in importance is pointless because anime at least attempts to do all of them at once.

furiously pleb opinions you have there

A SHAME, YOU SEEMED AN HONEST MAN

quantum plausibility?

The remake made it better I think. At least watchable now.