Why do so few anime benefit from being in HD aside from the older ones? Most aren't even animated above 720p...

Why do so few anime benefit from being in HD aside from the older ones? Most aren't even animated above 720p. What shows look good enough to justify watch in HD, let alone 1080p?

Other urls found in this thread:

mod16.org/randompics/knkbox/imagewriter002071.png
kentaiblog.com/2014/11/lying-evily-by-moonlight-viz-defends.html
es.doblaje.wikia.com/wiki/La_espada_en_la_piedra
es.doblaje.wikia.com/wiki/Peter_Pan_(1953)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I remember this thread. And it's completely false. All Cel anime benefit from HD remakes unless the original was damaged, lost, or destroyed. Just because you bought some shitty Dragonball BD or SEED BD and it looked like shit doesn't mean all BDs for 70s-90s anime look like garbage. 99% are improvements that aren't altered because distribution companies know retarded Americans associate HD with 16:9.

The flashy and well animated ones.
Or this.

Hyouka

>All Cel anime benefit from HD remakes unless the original was damaged, lost, or destroyed
>Why do so few anime benefit from being in HD aside from the older ones?
>aside from the older ones?

Late 90s to mid to late 2000s shows were produced digitally with SD in mind. The BD versions often ends up looking worse than the DVD.
Last show I watched that was cel is Card Captor Sakura from 1998. Wonder what the actual last one was.

I didn't read the OP sue me. Last time someone made a thread and bitched about resolutions they were bitching about cel anime and how it looks horrible when transferred to HD assuming everything was an upscale because he bought a cropped Dragonball Z BD.
The reason behind modern shows is because it's mastered in 720p for space/budget/artist management issues, you pay for larger hard drives, better scanners, and you find a hidden cashe of animators that work for nothing, and you'll notice an upswing in resolutions.

I don't care, but the original version of the Pokemon anime on the left still looks the best.

Does this look good?

How does Viz fuck up this bad?
>I didn't read the OP sue me
Plenty of issues arise on this board because of similar shit. The other guy is retarded though.

>go to archive
>read the shitstorm that happened when eva bds dropped
>be edified
tl;dr the max resolvable detail you can scan before just getting noise on 35mm stock is well over 6k, and 16mm over 3k

>What shows look good enough to justify watch in HD, let alone 1080p?
SAO

Yes.

No.

It's not that good in motion.
Wait, what happened? I remember reading mere months before the BD was announced than Anno destroyed the masters. Not long later, we got the BD.

Most digital stuff is done at or around 720p, so anything higher res is usually a waste of time, as it's just upscales. One that comes to mind however is Working!!!, which was actually animated in 1080p.

And most older cel animation looks fucking great when given a proper BD treatment, but many are just upscales and bad transfers, which is a fucking shame. RX782, for example, had to do a hell of a lot of work with most of the gundam BDs to make them look good.

>BD
>BD
>BD
>BDs

What does this mean?

It means lurk moar.

Black Dildo.

Bombista Burrito

Fuck off.
>RX782
Miss him already. Didn't the transfers look fine in HD anyway? What did Encodergasm have to do to "fix" any errors?

>Fuck off.
Literally don't know what it means...

Some of them looked fine. Some of them.... well, the original BDMVs for 0083 and the later half of victory speak for themselves. He did a lot of work to preserve grain, correct colors, etc etc. The kind of autistic work that you might not notice without someone like him taking the time to really make an end product that's as good as it can be.

I miss him too. Who's gonna do the G Gundam BDs now?

Blu-ray Disc.

>Blu-ray Disc.
Thank you.

Honestly have never heard a bluray called that before.

>I miss him too. Who's gonna do the G Gundam BDs now?
Bunnyhat assuming he pulls his head out of his ass, quits doing Toku for two seconds, and hopefully finishes the GGG and Mospeada encode.

How long have you browsed Sup Forums for?

>How long have you browsed Sup Forums for?
Not long, /k/ is my home board and I just show up here to watch the dragonball shitposting mostly, and this thread looked interesting to me.

Read the thread and use your common sense.
Didn't download the Stardust Memory rip and I don't really feel like subjugating myself to Victory ever again so I wouldn't know exactly. Heard 0083 got DNR'd though.
>I miss him too. Who's gonna do the G Gundam BDs now?
Probaby OZC. Some people on Sup Forums hate him for whatever reason but I have no idea why. Probably behind the scenes drama but can't worse than Coalgirls doing Gundam Unicorn. Maybe Bunnyhat? I know he did Macross but I'm not sure if he's interested in Gundam.

>Who's gonna do the G Gundam BDs now?
Bunny Hat said he was on board. He'll treat us right.

Because most are just upscales of digital shows rather than actual remasters

Bunnyhat confirmed he'd be down to encode it like an hour after the announcement on /m/.

Big Dick

Neato. The Macross release was good if I remember correctly so I trust him.

Quick post the best remasters

>remaster shows all the flaws in the line art
Love this shit. So charming.
Not what I intended to post but I guess since I mentioned trust, it works out.

>remaster shows all the flaws in the line art
that's literally photoshop filtered to hell.

reminds me of those shoddy Disney BD re-releases.

Looks like blurry ass.

What the fuck happened to Sora?

>shoddy Disney BD re-releases
I'm still so mad about these
Disney MSRP on these are literally new-movie tier, around 20-30 dollars, and never go down
I bought Aristocrats because it was one of me and my mom's favorite cartoons, it looked like absolute trash I was so pissed. Not as bad as pic related but still terrible

does Disney really release this shit

It's weird because the transfer for Star Wars The Force Awakens and the Marvel Cinematic Universe films, presumably their other live action stuff too, look fucking great.

>that fuckawful pic of The Sword in the Stone

did they have some intern do this work?

What the actual dicks

My god, that reminds me of the god-awuful Haibane and KnK BDs

>Haibane and KnK BDs
Fuck, what even happened to Haibane?
>KnK
Kara no Kyoukai or Kyoukai no Kanata?

This is the type of shit Americans think looks good. Applying a filter doesn't make it better. It causes the lines to be blurry and more wibbly than they should and detail is lost. Grain and dust is fine to have, it's a part of the film they used. A good remaster keeps everything detailed and crisp with grain.

Someone can post that Cinderella BD review for example, it was not as bad as but still an example of why filters are retarded.

everything looked like oil.

Yeah but how?

Not that user, but Kara no Kyoukai.

mod16.org/randompics/knkbox/imagewriter002071.png

Shit upscale, same with Kara no Kyoukai

Garbage.

Damn, I remember watching the DVD rip on a CRT. Fuck, I was gonna rewatch it in HD soon. It's my favourite animu.
;_;7
I forgot how bad it looked. How did the upscale end up so bad? Other shows with standard definition digital sources never looked this bad. Jesus.

I loathe when BD transfer apply this horrendous filter to make it look "nicer", it looks like fucking garbage.

You're better off importing the DVDs.

I'm still wondering why they upscaled the DVDs instead of using the movie theater masters

Come on, Disney is obviously trying to pioneer American Stained Glass Animation to challenge Taiwanese Puppet Shows.

Don't forget the Last Exile BDs. Then again, a lot of shows in the early 2000s have shitty remasters.

Shame. It's looks great and it was before Ufotable relied so much on digital processing. Atleast the Fate Zero blu ray looks nice, r-right?
I know the blu ray box is expensive as hell but how much are the DVDs? I can't seem to find the DVD rip I found year ago and I still have the CRT lying around.

It was around $150 before it sold out.

KnK was the start of Ufo using lots of digital processing. That;s even where their director of photography came up with their signature colours for all their Type-Moon anime.

>Fate Zero blu ray
I thought they were fine.

Fugg.
It wasn't so in your face until the UBW adaption.

150 isn't even that much unless you're a poorfag.

FZ is mastered in either 900p or 1080p depending on who you ask, so the BDs look fine

Only because UBW has the flashiest fights, otherwise their approach to applying digital processing has remained the same for years.

There's a reason I have than CRT, user.

GAY HORSE, GAY HORSE, I WANT A GAY HORSE

>This is the type of shit Americans think looks good.
(あなた)

Is that real? If so, the responsible party should be hanged. That was my favorite cartoon movie when I was a kid.

DVD on CRT is a pretty patrician viewing method. I'm coming around to bluray though, being able to see the film grain is quite nice. Problem is all the horrible bluray transfers that interns ran through a digital noise filter.

Bombastic Dynamite

>watching DVD on CRT at all
Are you dense? That's fucking retarded.
Watching VHS and Laserdisc on CRT is acceptable, but not DVD.

Well, the other option is watching on my 1080p monitor in either a 480p window (tiny) or stretched to full screen (ugly).

VHS and Laserdisc both have a ton of analog noise. (Specifically) Anime DVDs look great on a tube.

>you can see all the dirt floating around in the BD

1080p anime is a joke.

BDs of bebop and 08th ms are pretty good.

>Fuck, what even happened to Haibane?
Early digital does not look good in BD. Aria is another example of this.

>Pokemon has not been remastered to HD plus copy pasta image.
>Nobody will mention taht guy who explained that most shows in the US were edited in 240i video tapes.

This has a really nice BD transfer.

>Viz claiming that the original film negatives were destroyed

I am not kidding

kentaiblog.com/2014/11/lying-evily-by-moonlight-viz-defends.html

This is Embarrasing, how much they dont even try.

>Grainy bullshit

>Not liking grain
You get the fuck out.

Don't forget the obvious cel layers too.

Whats with the piss filter?

if you hate grain, you need to kill yourself
you're the reason why bad BD transfers exist

>Everybody talks about how they fucked up the image
>NOBODY talks about how they redubbed many lines in the spanish dub under the pretense that the original audio files were damaged, (which they showed no proof, so reason to believe is not PR) rather then Disney just wanted to sanitized the old spanish dub to remove anything that is offensive
>ALMOST NOBODY in mexico notices this

?

fma 03?

>in the spanish dub

Fuck off Mee, you probably think these look good

Grain is an unfortunate byproduct of film, and there is no reason to strive for it save for some artistic reason. Having said that, remasters shouldn't remove the grain as any attempts to do so have messed up image quality.

Can you remaster something on your own?

Watch the Dub on Netflix and notice if there's some weird modern sounding bits on scenes, and then track down an old copy of the latino dub and tell me if isnt true.

The part that i remember is when Arthur and Merlin are at the lake and how arthur talks about how he wants to kill giants, in the newer version they change his lines to i wanna capture giants.

What does the original look like?

>Para el lanzamiento de la película en formato Blu-Ray, parte del audio fue corregida de la versión de Edmundo Santos conservada en los archivos de Disney. Un ejemplo de esto es la canción del inicio, que estaba dañada en algunos formatos digitales.

>En la escena en que Merlín y Arturo caminan fuera del castillo de Sir Ector, la primera mañana del arribo de Merlín, la voz de Arturo cambia durante unos segundos (esto debido a la reparación del audio original en español).

>Una frase de Sir Ector, en la escena del descubrimiento del hechizo de Merlín para limpiar los utensilios de la cocina, fue censurada. Originalmente él gritaba "Maldito viejo brujo", frase que fue cambiada por: "Malvado viejo brujo".
Transmisión

Yeah inb4 CANT READ TOO SPANOL LOL

For the record, the movie was already released on DVD in the 2000s twice i think and the spanish dub was left intact.

Disney actually did a similar "clean up" with the dub of Peter pan when they remove certain "offensive words" but that version only aired on Disney Channel and Azteca 7, but at least they kept the unadulterated dub on the 2 DVD editions, not sure about the blu-ray tough.

Shit, why does people feel the need to "fix" things that are not broken.

es.doblaje.wikia.com/wiki/La_espada_en_la_piedra

es.doblaje.wikia.com/wiki/Peter_Pan_(1953)

Disgraceful............and i don't believe the thing about the original audio being damaged, if they have the original audio restored for peter pan but dared to botched anyways, i have NO reason to believe when they claim that the Sword of the Stone audio got damaged to them to sanitized lines.

After all, Companies can make up lies and everyone will swallow them