Explain time dilation in less than 10 words

Explain time dilation in less than 10 words.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kE8kGMfXaFU
journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0082959
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Faster people age slower than slower people.

When you travel at C, the timeman can't catch up.

wibbley-wobbley timey-wimey stuff

Go too fast and time can't catch up

Time dilation.

More speed, slower time. More gravity, slower time.

It's magic I don't have to explain shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=kE8kGMfXaFU

It just works.

welcome back

Fast is different from slow.

Eisenstein's theory of special relativity, which Gunbuster used.

Time dilation takes hard work and guts

The ending for Gunbuster wasn't emotional to me. Mostly because there's no way for the people on Earth to know exactly when she would return, destroying the impact of them 'waiting' for her.

Plus, after 10,000 years, it seems like Earth went backwards in tech.

I know this is a retarded question but can you acceleration or speed be an irrational number ?

For example is it possible to advance at sqrt(2) km/h ?

yes,
Intermediate Value Theorem

Bullshit.

if Velocity didn't follow IMF, then acceleration at some point would be infinite.

if Acceleration didn't follow IMF, then Jerk would at some point be infinite.

>Mostly because there's no way for the people on Earth to know exactly when she would return, destroying the impact of them 'waiting' for her.

Yes there is.

How? The only way they would have known is if they had some kind of satellite that saw her coming from deep space and then calculated when she would arrive. But that was never stated in the OAV.

Instead, we're suppose to believe that they just used her time of leaving as an estimation of when she would return. And they had no idea how long she was in battle or when she left. If their calculations were off by even a second, that would be hundreds of Earth years.

Noriko's words to Jung, they weren't going to their deaths. Everybody understood this.

They'd also be able to see her arriving since she isn't travelling at the speed of light, they'd be able to estimate where she is and as soon as they spot her know when she'll arrive exactly.

>How? The only way they would have known is if they had some kind of satellite that saw her coming from deep space
Wait weren't they there along side her with an armada of ships when it happened? That would mean they would know the direction and speed and could work out when she would return.

What I never understood is why they couldn't just go and pick them up rather than wait the 12,000 years. I know I know it is story about time dilation, shouldn't read to much into it yada yada.

What I don't get is how the fuck they slowed down right as they approached Earth.

>jung
I wouldn't mind her explaining thermal expansion to me in less in than 10 words if you know what I mean.

>the carpet matches the drapes

blessed.

Kazumi retreated back to the battleships which then left to go back to Earth, leaving Noriko to finish the job herself. They were on their way back to Earth while Noriko stayed and fought for an unspecified amount of time. So unless they have crazy long ranged censors, they wouldn't know exactly when she left. They could only estimate some 45 minute period. And again, because of the main point of the plot, being off by one second would be a difference of years.

Your velocity vector through space-time has constant magnitude.

What are you talking about? Jung was with them right up until the very end.

You're both wrong.

>When the final battle begins, Amano is ordered to man the Gunbuster with Takaya, and both fight alongside others to defend the bomb. The alien army is fended off, allowing the black hole bomb to be set. However, when the time comes to activate, they find out the enemies' attacks have damaged 2% of the 'slave generators' required for implosion. Amano and Takaya decide to dive down into the core of Buster Machine III and activate it by using one of Gunbuster's two Degeneracy reactors, even though doing so means they will likely be unable to leave without suffering severe relativistic time dilation during their escape.

>After the bomb is set off, Noriko and Kazumi spend 12,000 Earth years objective traveling home, although for them only hours or days have passed. Upon arriving in Earth orbit in the damaged Gunbuster, the pilots cannot make contact with anyone nor see any sign of habitation on the planet, suggesting that human civilization is long gone. However, their despair is instantly dispelled when a massive light pattern suddenly appears on the planet saying "WELCOME HOME!" spelled out in simplified Japanese (the final letter, however, is reversed, which indicates the current civilization was mimicking the bygone language). Delighted that their planet is alive and well, the pilots bid the Gunbuster farewell and return to Earth.

But while the original user is wrong about the details, he is right that no one on Earth or on the ships would know when Noriko and Kazumi would return.

>although for them only hours or days have passed.

You're wrong, it was like 2 weeks.

Jung also went down with them till almost the very end.

They also didn't leave until the exact moment when degeneracy was activated. They would have all the information needed for a very good estimate of when they're coming back, coupled with the fact that once they're close enough they'll be able to see em

I can only explain warp

This

>Jung also went down with them till almost the very end.
>until almost

You realize that her going back even 10 seconds early would be the difference of hundreds of years, right? You're just proving the point.

You realize that's within their ability to estimate?

You realize that the command ships didn't leave until they CONFIRMED degeneracy had begun giving them super accurate estimates?

You realize you're a piece of fucking shit kill yourself kiddo?

When go fast, time go slow hurr durr

is sonic younger than everyone else?

I'm too stupid to understand what that means desu senpai

It didn't really hit me until the end of Diebuster.

Diebuster was better anyway, much better pacing and a much better job of making you care about the characters in a short timespan.

>You realize that's within their ability to estimate?
No it isn't, based on what I already said above. Estimation is just that, an estimation. You cannot confirm the exact time someone returns based on odds.

>You realize that the command ships didn't leave until they CONFIRMED degeneracy had begun giving them super accurate estimates?
They left before or else they would have been trapped. That was the whole reason only Noriko and Kazumi stayed. If the battleships could have stayed, then there would have been no impact of Noriko returning.

>You realize you're a piece of fucking shit kill yourself kiddo?
U mad

Looks like I'll be dead before I turn 40 then. I'm only 20 yet I move slower than my Grandma.

>know someones going to arrive from a big fight
>set up big lights ahead of time
>wait for them to arrive
>see them approaching
>get everyone ready as they approach
>have sign ready in time
Seems pretty simple to me. You two are getting way too complicated about this, they always knew she was coming back and it would have been easy to have the thing ready for easy display whenever they did detect her coming on scanners or whatever.

you can literally see them approaching.

This is a civilization that extends out past pluto, they'll be able to see them as soon as they enter the solar system

>see them approaching
>get everyone ready
>they have to stand by for 1 thousand years

You're entire argument now is based on something they never stated in the OAV. In other words, you're filling the plot hole I'm pointing out with assumptions.

>they can see them coming
The plot never claimed they had the means to do that. Which means it LEAVES A HOLE. And regardless, that doesn't work because of how space and time works. Noriko herself would already arrive at earth before her 'image' would be seen.

You're entire argument now is based on something they never stated in the OAV. In other words, you're filling the plot hole I'm pointing out with assumptions.

Thanks for repeating what I said?

So, they were able to detect other objects at warp, but not Noriko after millennia of technological advancements.

Excellent taste.

They have the means to move worlds user. You think they figured out how to move them before they figured out where it is they would be moving

like vaginas during childbirth, but with time

>but something totally unrelated is possible so it means anything is possible!

dumbass

How fucking stupid do you have to be to think they would just hurl planets and ships into the void of space without knowing what was in front of them. You're some special kind of retarded

See this, retard? Its a Map of the mother fucking milky way. See the moving line identifying the location of objects and their perceived distance? You probably dont because you're an idiot.

If they have both warp without time dilation and near light speed travel with dilation why can't they just warp around roughly where they think she is and scan for her.

It wouldn't take that long to find her they managed to pick up her fathers ship on scanner after a 7 year journey.

>turning 31
>working with a guy who's 34
>mad at me because I can still bang 18-20 years old and he looks old af

It used to bother me when I was younger but who's laughing now.

>mfw

a needle in an infinite universe stack traveling at a decelerating warp speed.

your speed ~ speed of light -> dt1/dt ~> 0

>How fucking stupid do you have to be to think they would just hurl planets and ships into the void of space without knowing what was in front of them.
Since conjecture is now all we're going by, since you keep avoiding what is or isn't in the OAV, remember that humanity is going and killing an entire alien race just to protect themselves. And they even question if they are doing the right thing in the OAV. But they deem that their short term survival is more important than long term effects they cannot foresee. Wait, sorry. There I go citing the actual story again. Sorry.

Time dilates.

dumbass.

See the post i was referring to . Its a sensor sweep of the milkyway. Its not conjecture when you're proven dead wrong with a single post. its just you being stupid

Freezes enemy cooldowns, 8% ms/as slow per cooldown frozen.

It's true.
>In a representative sample of adults, slower and more variable performance on a simple reaction time task was associated with increased rates of both all-cause and cardiovascular disease mortality over a follow-up period of approximately 15 years. The association between reaction time variability and mortality remained after adjustment for reaction time mean, and was therefore not accounted for by the tendency for people with more variable reaction times to have slower responses. No association was observed for cancer mortality, although fewer deaths were available for this outcome. Socio-economic status, health behaviors and established CVD risk factors partly but not fully explained these associations.
journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0082959

At least we can all agree Jung is the best girl.

How does a sensor sweep of the milky way have anything to do with being able to predict when Noriko will return? And did you overlook the whole plot point where they couldn't see where the alien base was and just went there blind to fight them? Did you also overlook my point of how special relativety works and Noriko would arrive before her 'image' did?

You keep coming up with new points because you know the ones I brought up can't be disproven. That or you're so ignorant that you think you're actually correcting something.

Did you just assume technology stopped once they left earth?

It's better than the node falling over and staring at a black screen for hours.

Time is relative depending on the speed you travel.

>Noriko herself would already arrive at earth before her 'image' would be seen.
Isn't she travelling at sub light speed?

Since the light she would be emitting would be travelling faster doesn't that mean you would see that image first?

No. But the plot also never explained they gained new technology. Its the job of the writer to give reasons for actions. Not just leave the viewer to 'assume' things happened. This is why both Gunbuster and Eva are annoying to a lot of people because they are open ended.

>Isn't she travelling at sub light speed?

Of course.

You would see her coming before she arrived.

>The plot never claimed they had the means to do that.

Fucking retard, how do you think they spotted the Luxion incoming? God you're stupid.

>Noriko herself would already arrive at earth before her 'image' would be seen.

Idiot. Holy shit.

That was the entire point, suspense whether or not the civilization survived. Did they succeed? Did they fail? Did they succeed but humans killed each other after all?

You're being anal about the least important aspect of the event.

Wait I think I figured out what's going on.

You never watched Diebuster, did you?

Nono

If they were going at sublight speed, how could they get home in days? I don't remember the specifics, but didn't they say that the bomb propelled them past light speed? Which adds yet another unknown factor that the people on Earth wouldn't be able to calculate. Not only the moment they began traveling back, but also the velocity.

>You're being anal about the least important aspect of the event.
Its part of the event. Since it is based on a scientific theory, if that part is wrong, then everything else falls apart. If the show didn't try to focus on a scientific event, then sure, her just showing up over Earth and everyone welcoming her back would be fine. But it loses its impact if there's problems with the math.

Diebuster 2 implied Nono told them about it and they prepared for it.

>>Ten years later, Lal'C becomes an environmentalist and her Topless comrades have moved on from their previous life. She stays on a hilltop in the Okinawan coast line, musing about Nono before the city's lights shuts off. She stares in the starry sky, and it is revealed all along that Nono and Lal'C's time line is the setting of the last episode of the first Gunbuster OVA, as explicitly said by Lal'C when she first muses about Nono. Its two pilots, Noriko and Kazumi, descend from the remnants of the first ever Buster Machine, and Lal'C vows to tell Noriko about Nono's life and her sacrifice.

Seriously, are you guys new?

>propelled them past light speed
Wait doesn't that mean they would go backwards in time for the duration they were going above light speed. Then when they decelerated down they would be going really fast forward in the time again?

That's another part of the theory of special relativity. But either Gunbuster didn't follow that or they made a mistake in how long it took to get back. There's a hole somewhere basically. Even going at 99% the speed of light, it would have taken them hundreds of years to get to and from the point in space. And that's from the perspective of the person in the vehicle. It would have been millions of years to Earth.

Gunbuster was most likely just playing it loose. Like Star Trek does. But that still doesn't answer how people on Earth knew exactly when she would return.

>If they were going at sublight speed, how could they get home in days? I don't remember the specifics, but didn't they say that the bomb propelled them past light speed? Which adds yet another unknown factor that the people on Earth wouldn't be able to calculate. Not only the moment they began traveling back, but also the velocity.

holy shit you are retarded, read the OP. You don't even know jackshit.

>Even going at 99% the speed of light, it would have taken them hundreds of years to get to and from the point in space. And that's from the perspective of the person in the vehicle. It would have been millions of years to Earth.

>millions of years

No.

Weren't they capable of warping¿

Warp is sub light speed by several factors

You know, you could always just prove it with some simple math. When all your arguments are just 'you're stupid!', then it just sounds like you think your right, but have no way to prove it.

Depends entirely on what fictional universe you're referring to.

Oh.
Then yeah, how does it take them days to travel light years at the sub light speed?

I hate how the old gunbuster mecha interface is dominated by the chink characters

Can't they put in some proper science words, or even katakana?

Time is relative to the velocity of the observer

NO.

ugh

>the math is sound, believe me!

Apparently it would mean it took them pretty much a year to travel if 12000 years passed on earth.
Assuming they were going basically the speed of light.
Wolfram won't do more than 1 meter less than the speed of light's velocity.

ugh

Well wasn't it convenient that Noriko was unconscious for...a year. I'm sure the LCL kept her alive. Oh wait, wrong series.

But weren't they blowing up a black hole bomb in the middle of the galaxy?

That must have been a lot more than one light year from earth.

going faster makes time go slower
It's a very simple concept.