The Rebuilds are garbage

Shinji is now shonen protagonist #12726 who transcends humanity to save his waifu. Asuka doesn't give a shit about Kaji anymore, but she has the hots for Shinji of all people. Rei became the own archetype she created. What the fuck is the point of Mari? She doesn't move the plot, she's only there for fanservice. Everybody has as much depth as a puddle of water. But the visuals are so pretty, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii112/IrkenEvangelion/asuka-guro-2.jpg)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Also the Evas.

They morphed Evangelion (as of 3.0) into your standard Redemption plot.

I'm convinced 4.0 will be titled something akin to
You are (NOT) Forgiven.

>has the hots for Shinji of all people

Yeah, that came out of nowhere.

Asuka the best. She's got a scowl that won't quit.

>1.0-2007
>2.0-2009
>3.0-2012
>Going into 2017 with no signs of 4.0

Where did it all go so wrong

>your standard Redemption plot.
and end like how the manga did.

Cry more, fag. The original was irredeemable trash, I'm fucking glad Rebuilds changed it up and made it more tolerable.

Also copied Anima.

Was she pregnant ?

>Shinji is now shonen protagonist #12726 who transcends humanity to save his waifu.
Anno shat on this in Q.
Unfortunately he shat on everything else in the process and then abandoned the series.

On her period

I couldn't have known since she's always acting like having one.

ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh

I want to FUCK Shinji.

>rebuilds are bad and made for the money

No shit!

>Shinji is now shonen protagonist #12726 who transcends humanity to save his waifu. Asuka doesn't give a shit about Kaji anymore, but she has the hots for Shinji of all people. Rei became the own archetype she created. What the fuck is the point of Mari? She doesn't move the plot, she's only there for fanservice. Everybody has as much depth as a puddle of water. But the visuals are so pretty, right?
Yes, and? I don't see anything "garbage" in it. Not everything has to be copy of NGE to not be garbage. 3.0 is bad for various reasons, but 1.0 and 2.0 are one of best mecha movies I've ever seen.

>Shinji is now shonen protagonist #12726 who transcends humanity to save his waifu.

Top meme.

I thought Shinji causing a near-Impact to save Ayanami was pretty neatly done. In fact, 1.11 and 2.22 were nice movie recaps of the original series - gutted, but enjoyable.

The only thing I hated was the inclusion of Mari. By giving her shit to do it took away from the original trio of pilots.

And 3.33 was hot trash.

>sees Mari
>don't see anything garbage in it

whew, were you lucky enough to fast forward through her parts while blindfolded accidentally or something?

I thought how it was neat that they put a critical plot point of 2.0 after the credits so I didn't fucking see it jesus christ, your movie is supposed to end before the credits.

>Curse of Eva keeps pilots young

>No 28 year old Asuka/Ayanami just like in those Saigado doujins

Fuck

The curse of Eva is a meta joke about them being stuck in a cartoon.

I hope it doesn't end like this because it'll fuck up my headcanon

It is generally popular right?
looks like a "mainstream" way to conclude the story.

Any comparisons to the original is fair.

The original is a masterpiece, but it doesn't mean that everything that differs from it is garbage.

If the rebuilds involved its characters more, then we wouldn't be having this discussion. Ritsuko has nothing in the ways of character development; not to mention her mother.
Asuka's background has been shortened to a 2 min bed scene.
Misato's in a 15-sec flashback.
Fuyutsuki; NONE
Gendo: NONE
Kaji: we have nothing (less than NGE)
Toji-Kensuke: we didn't learn their names until 2/3rds into the film. Also nothing else.
Hikari; name only mentioned once off-hand.

Rei is the only character that has something; but's that accidental; 1.0 was a carbon copy of the first 6 episodes of NGE; of which focused on Rei.
While 2.0 fucked up it's story in favor for slapstick humor; over characterizations.

I kind of love that he threw that in. Anno really didn't give a fuck when he made 3.33 did he? It's a mish mash with no regard for explanation or apology, where snide meta commentary casually fills in for logic, the story completely dissolves into an almost self-parodying storm of incomprehensible events and jargon (which of course was all just as planned by Gendo), all characters become utter retards, the uplifting ending of the previous film gets trolled to death, and he just pisses wildly over the state of his creation. Oh and the obligatory shitting on otaku at the end with Shinji getting ejected from the Eva so he can 'get to know the world'.
I think the gay piano playing might be the only sincere thing in it.

DESU I Love rebuild 1 and 2. the 3rd one was trash and I will se 4, but have 0 hope for it. The Rebuild 3 ruined everything good about Eva.

Ive seen the series 80+ times from beginning to end, DnR 10 or so times,EoE 40 or so times. Its by far my favorite Anime

Asuka is mah Waifu.

I feel the Originals are better overall, but I do really like rebuild 1 and 2

Looks like you didn't watch NGE. Facts are that NGE's first half is slapstick. 2.0 has slapstick, but so what?

If anything fucked up the Rebuilds, it was 3.0 and 3.0 alone.

Yeah, you're retarded. The "curse of eva" is a mere excuse to still sell them as young.

3.0 is pretty good, I liked it over 2.0.
>Anno really didn't give a fuck when he made 3.33 did he?
From what I read, 2.0's development process was complete hell. (constant script revisions)/bridges burned.
Remember 1.0 was Khara's first film, and they copied NGE just to be safe.

Anno is a collaborative director; he lets other people bring ideas to the table, However that backfired for 2.0, as they were inexperienced with the writing process.
2.0 generally speaking is Khara's first "original" story.

After that nonsense Its no surpresed that Anno wanted to distance the rebuild's story in 3.0.

>Looks like you didn't watch NGE. Facts are that NGE's first half is slapstick
-_-

Congratulations on having an opinion based on nothing but lies.

>-_-
Back to tumblr and evageeks with you.

You know, I feel like I have to give you a reply because evidently, it isn't clear to you that you aren't making any arguments or points.

What the actual fuck are you on about?

Back to the void...o wait this is Sup Forums.
>What the actual fuck are you on about?
it's self evident.

>it's self evident.
It clearly isn't. Because from what you've presented so far, it's quite clear that you have literally no idea about what you're talking about, and have zero knowledge about any of the people involved.

If you want to make a point, use your words. All you've posted is a storyboard.

Nice paragraph full of meaningless words.

>It's a mish mash with no regard for explanation or apology,
This right here is the dumbest thing you said. One of the biggest criticisms with 3.0 is that it explains far too much.

I think he was retarded as well, but I can't say I agree with you that 3.0 explains far too much.

A lot of things the viewer wants to know is handwaved or skipped entirely. It only goes into depth with e.g Rei, because the writer and director doesn't like the character, and so they spend a lot of time talking the character down.

The picture is from the Groundwork of Eva.
It has accounts from various people involved in the rebuilds, and has older versions of the script.
Here is an example.

Mari originally was more involved in the plot for 2.0. According to (Eva-2.0 Complete records collection)
A 200+page book containing; behind the scenes information, original drafts, scene panels detailing alternative/deleted segments, ect.... (i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii112/IrkenEvangelion/asuka-guro-2.jpg)

(POTENTIAL SPOILERS)
Originally Mari was going to be introduced by piloting Eva-2 at sea fighting an angel on battleships, Mari/Kaji are both introduced to the cast while Asuka arrives later by plane, both Mari and Asuka pilot Unit-2 with Asuka being its designated pilot , referring to Mari as her "support fire"(later used in 3.0)
Eventually Mari with a higher sync ratio with Unit-2 than Asuka becomes its main pilot during the 9th angel attack, leaving Asuka devastated not piloting Eva (NGE style) Asuka then jumps at the chance to pilot unit-3.(o_o)
Mari talks with all the pilots, goes to the school, Convinces Shinji (face to face) to pilot Unit-1 during the 10th angel attack at the watermelon field; kissing him...

The script was later remade (again) to what we have now.

it is also worth mentioning that Asuka was originally in unit-2 during the 10th angel attack. (In the first or second draft for 2.0.)
It explains why during the Zeruel battle (when it hits unit-2 a second time) the camera zoom's towards Mari's left eye (implying it getting hit), yet later we see that it's the right side of her face that's injured.---Originally Asuka was in Mari's place and the scene showed how she lost her eye. The aforementioned scene was a recycled element from the earlier draft-and the animators just forgot (or were lazy) to edit the scene.

It wouldn't be Evangelion if the production wasn't chaotic.

Yes, but what is your fucking point? What exactly are you trying to tell us?

I know what the 2.0 CRC is, and I know it's contents.

I just want Mari to get beheaded in 4. That'll be good enough.

>Back to tumblr and evageeks with you.
>Congratulations on having an opinion based on nothing but lies.
>it's quite clear that you have literally no idea about what you're talking about.
>Yes, but what is your fucking point? What exactly are you trying to tell us?

It's self evident from my post
>If the rebuilds involved its characters more, then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

What I don't get; is your overall butthurt shit-posting.

a likely outcome

A sketch by Yamashita with Mari and Asuka both wearing some type of collar.

>1.0 was a carbon copy of the first 6 episodes of NGE
It isn't even an abridgment with expanded action sequences. The setting is immediately and obviously different, details that wouldn't have context until 2.0 are already changed from NGE, scenes are added that are completely original to Rebuild. It's just the movie that hews the closest to the show.

So now that you've made your point, it's first and foremost a very uncontroversial one. However, you've framed it in an utterly retarded way. I'm not butthurt or upset, I just want to understand and discuss this, which you're making very difficult. Hence my post here: So jumping backwards, it appears that you've framed the Rebuilds in this way: which has some glaring inconsistencies with how the real thing played out.

In particular this:
>While 2.0 fucked up it's story in favor for slapstick humor; over characterizations.

is nonsensical. As a four-part story, 2.0 fills in right after 1.0 ended, which again ended after ~6 or so. 2.0 then naturally enters the section of NGE which has by far the most, if not nearly all slapstick humour segments and lighthearted content. Slapstick humour and similar is a part of Evangelion, so I don't see why it'd be natural to criticize it for having slapstick.

That doesn't tell the whole story either, because 2.0 did much like 1.0 develop it's characters. The only movie that fails in it's obligations to ensure an increasing level of quality and depth in it's characters, is 3.0.

3.0 has by far the least involvement in it's characters, and actually reduced them into plot devices and archetypes.

>3.0 has by far the least involvement in it's characters, and actually reduced them into plot devices and archetypes.
Well, I know that I like it more than 2.0's story.

The biggest plot point in the film is the Bento scene halfway into the film.(Its the most important plot device for characterization in the film. It drives Asuka into Unit-3, causes Rei to open up to people, ultimately drives the World destroying events leading into 3.0) A Goddamned Bento.

>In particular this:
>>While 2.0 fucked up it's story in favor for slapstick humor; over characterizations.
> 2.0 then naturally enters the section of NGE which has by far the most, if not nearly all slapstick
2.0-Kinda extreme slapstick if you ask me.

>gay piano playing
But that seemed like genuine friendship. When they watch the stars together and Kaworu throws one of his creepy one-liners is when it gets gay. And the scene when they are sitting on the bed is mad gay. But the piano was pretty nice, heartwarming even.

>Well, I know that I like it more than 2.0's story.

All that tells me is that you don't appreciate realism or fleshed out characters.

>The biggest plot point in the film is the Bento scene halfway into the film.(Its the most important plot device for characterization in the film. It drives Asuka into Unit-3, causes Rei to open up to people, ultimately drives the World destroying events leading into 3.0) A Goddamned Bento.

Well, let's not go full hyperbole here. It's one of many plot points that lead up to the ending. The main part to take away, is that its all realistic and within character. It makes sense.

What drives Asuka into unit 3 is in fact, an entire rewrite of the character since NGE. Accepting that, we don't actually begin with bentos, but a character that's changed fundamentally into being more reasonable. Moreover Asuka's now capable of accepting that she's a failure on some levels, and can grow. So in a sense, getting to know others as well as being the "last" in the Angel fight is also part of what makes Asuka enter Unit 3.

For Rei's case however, Shinji providing Rei with a bento is a clear callback to NGE's scene where Shinji cleans her room. It has the same outcome. Rei had been opening herself up prior since 1.0, as well, so this is an ongoing point of development that is well continued in the second movie. With as much focus as they've had on dining together, Rei taking inspiration here is interesting and quite in-character. Not only that, but noticing the cleft between father and son is something that moves Rei into action.

All in all we've got proof of something clear, and that is that human kindness would go a long way in alleviating the troubles they've encountered.

>2.0-Kinda extreme slapstick if you ask me.
In what way? It has an appropriate and sensible amount of it, in places NGE goes far, far beyond it.

>is that you don't appreciate realism or fleshed out characters.
At this point............I can't even.....
At this point I know that you are just trolling.

Have a nice Labor Day

Just as fine really, I don't have time to wait for more replies anyway.

But it's really simple. 1.0 and 2.0 and NGE have something in common that 3.0 does not, and that is that it fleshes out it's characters and devotes time to them. Precisely what you for some reason, criticized Rebuild for, but only target the middle movie.

Where NGE takes it's characters out to a ramen shop, a hot spring, or even makes them dance in a nonsensical twister-like warmup to defeat the invading Angels, Rebuild 2.0 took them out for a picnic in a marine restoration facility, or in the eyes of children, a giant beautiful aquarium.

We're divulged the character's opinions from this, their characters, and we make an impact on them by making them come together as a group. This simple technique is used across 1.0, 2.0 and NGE to great effect. There's also a sense of realism in them, arguably less in NGE than 2.0 in some places, as the characters act as you'd expect them to according to their characterization and what is likely for a person to do.

So yes, it is in fact without question a fact that as far as Rebuild is concerned that 1.0 and 2.0 is delivering in terms of realism and ensuring development.

So the problem here is really that you don't like 2.0 for some arbitrary reason that 3.0 "fixed" for you, most likely shipping related. All it means is that you're willing to sacrifice realism and fleshed out characters, as well as a meaningful story simply to get that itch scratched.

This is why you're messed up.

>1.0
>Rei's tits twice
>2.0
>Asuka's tits once, censored
>3.0
>No tits

ANNOOOOOOOOO

>not
>You Can (Now) Advance

Imagining an actor saying such specific lines makes me cringe.

I'm back just for this.
>So the problem here is really that you don't like 2.0 for some arbitrary reason that 3.0 "fixed" for you

Its because 3.0 felt like an actual quote on quote MOVIE; not some compilation film like the
Nadia the motion picture or Gunbuster v Diebuster.

3.0 felt like an ACTUAL Movie like how EOE did.

That isn't an argument. To me, 1.0 and 2.0 felt like movies as well. In fact, as it would happen, they are movies and your point is moot. If anything, 3.0 is the one that feels more like a compilation, since it's jumpy and refuses to define context or setting inbetween jumps.

But yeah, good night. It's quite obvious that your indignation is fake, and that your opinion really are based on lies.

A movie with pacing. Not a continuous barrage of compressed scenes.

Well you can not stop anno making fanfiction

He has to compete with 20 years worth of the stuff, he can't compete.

1.11 and 2.22 are good movies though user. 3.33 is the only one that's actually bad.

being a reifag is worse than hitler

WHAT THE FUCK WAS HER PROBLEM?

The original was mediocre anyway.

He almost killed all humans on Earth doing this and became goo for 14 years, totally like other shounen protags.

>Asuka doesn't give a shit about Kaji anymore, but she has the hots for Shinji of all people.
That's not even something new to the Rebuilds you dumb nigger.

>Rei became the own archetype she created.
She was always her own archetype you dumb nigger.

>What the fuck is the point of Mari? She doesn't move the plot, she's only there for fanservice.
Asuka could totally do it all by herself right?

>Everybody has as much depth as a puddle of water. But the visuals are so pretty, right?
Still 2deep4u.

Bump4discussions

What am I supposed to take from 2.0, particularly in regards to Rei? I always keep reading that Anno dislikes the fact that Rei's so popular, because she's supposed to be an empty shell of sorts, that it reflects the otaku mentality of wanting someone who's completely passive and non-threatening, etc. (don't take my word on this, it's just what I found to be said according to him but based on other people's posts, I've never read his actual words or his opinion on the matter).
I'm maybe reading too much into this, but on one hand, I can look at it this way: Rei in the Rebuilds actually gets some initiative of her own (in a more explicit manner, mind you, because in EoE she decided to go against Gendo in the end), she seems to develop some feelings towards Shinji and in the end he saves her in a very heroic manner (considering it's Shinji we're talking about). It's almost wish fulfillment, even with Rei's unbelievable lines such as "he makes me feel warm and content inside". Then 3.0 comes and shit's all over the fact, Shinji spends 1/3 of the movie thinking about Rei and wanting to see her, and we are only shown Rei Q who unlike Rei II can truly be described as an emotionless doll, then Kaworu also dies and he ends completely fucked up mentally. The change from the grandiose ending in 2.0 to Shinji's mental breakdown in 3.0 is immense, and it could seem that the whole development between the original Rei and Shinji was only a set up to completely break the illusion that such thing won't happen, and is not supposed to happen, either.

(cont.)

>this infuriates the Asuka

I think Mari is wikid cute. I don't care that she is just fan service. Best girl.

Oh my god. It's Rei/Asuka wars: The Manga.

oh shit, she's going to commit suicide

At the very end of 3.0 Shinji drops his SDAT and Rei Q stares at moment at it before following him. We don't know if she picked it up. He had the SDAT ever since his father abandoned him; then it was Rei II's charm for a while when he temporarily quit piloting Eva 01 (akin to Gendo's glasses) and it's the only thing he recovered from the incident 14 years prior. She was holding onto it as Shinji rescued her. Leaving it there on the ground feels like a metaphor about moving on from the past, both from all the things he's had to endure and from his old friends and feelings. I'm not one to look for metaphors and such in these kind of things, but since it's the very last scene on the movie, I think it has its purpose.

And then, on the other hand, instead of being so cynical, I could see it as just two people who always had trouble communicating with others slowly opening to each other at their own pace. At that point in 2.0, because Rei became closer to Shinji she also started to seek more people other than him, though related to him. Even the guys in NERV's HQ were starting to notice. The two had trouble finding meaning in things other than piloting Evas due to their own insecurity, but for a brief instant they had found something in themselves through their interactions. In the end, Shinji paid the price of throwing a tantrum and leaving NERV and all his friends behind without saying a word, and disregarding the fact that his strength would no longer be present at future battles. Rei loses against the next angel to attack Tokyo-3, Shinji feels regret and goes back to save her, (Near) Third Impact happens (why do they call it 'Near' Third Impact, anyway), and the hell that is 3.0 unfolds. If he hadn't lost himself to the moment back then, none of that would have happened. But Gendo made him fight Asuka against his will, so he was bound to be pissed off. And apparently it was all part of his plan. Oh well.

(cont.)

So which way do you look at it? I'd wager that perhaps neither of these views are necessary, but I'm torn between the two. Like I said, I'm probably reading too much into things, and I should just think of 2.0 as an action mecha movie.

WHO HYPE FOR 3.0+1.0???????

>Anno having a long Evangelion break since 3.0, thus refreshing his creativity
>The confidence he must feel after the success of his Godzilla film

I CAN FEEL IT, IT WILL BE A FUCKING MASTERPIECE

Gendo trips over and falls to his death. Shinji and Mari get married, with Fuyutsuki as the groomsman.

Rejoice Sup Forums
This manga is made by Kiyohiko Azuma artist behind Yotsuba&!

I honestly put my faith in Anno about Mari and was positive we'd get some kind of rudimentary explanation about her in 3.0 but that got completely fucked so I feel pretty damn betrayed.

I spent like 5 years convincing myself and others that "don't worry, I'm sure Anno will explain it in the next one" but nope, fuck you

Asuka tries so hard :(

>it's self evident from my post

he so fucking retarded he doesn't know himself, which is why he won't spell it out