Sailor moon thread

Dub > Sub

Not even joking so far, I'm not sure which english dub but, probably the older one. How bad does it get later on, ive heard it changes the plot? Also, BD uploads where?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=nHzjXrEiQqQ#
youtube.com/watch?v=pa2oHxME-aY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>WOW SAREENAH, MY FELLOW YOUTH, THAT HUNKADORYSAURUS IS TOTALLY LIKE BALLER AND FLY

If anything this makes me more excited. comedy like that is fucking gold.

bump

MAMO-CHAN!!11!!11

Why did they think a remake was a good idea?

did it work though?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=nHzjXrEiQqQ#

The original series is too streched and Crystal is too rushed.

It wasn't. It was created with the sole intent of shitting on the franchise as a whole while making Precure look like high art in comparison.

>Did it work?
Does it ever? From what I can tell, it's putting off old fans and alienating people wanting to break into animu with a known title.

>The original series is too streched and Crystal is too rushed.

The original series was doing it's job. Airing on after-school TV for kids to watch. Crystal doesn't have that requirement and so thankfully isn't following that dated "monster of the week" formula from the 90s.

Is it not episodic?

Original English dub is god awful. The voice acting is horrible and its censored to fuck and half of the plot doesn't make any sense.

I'm glad VIZ got the rights to it. Their newer dub is actually good and stays true to the source material.

I generally don't bother with dubs because the lip synching is just a limitation. You have to extend words or cut them short to match the lip movements

>Also, BD uploads where
No. Just watch Bunnyhat's DVD encode. The BD is shit.

For the dual audio one on nyaa, which dub do they use?

not dual audio though

How is the BD shit? That doesn't make any sense

No idea.

Except 12 episodes of season 3 far outclassed mahou tsukai precure a thousand times when it aired

Subs have been swimming around everywhere for two decades, so I don't consider the lack of dual audio a loss

Speaking of which, how are the sales for season iii anyway? I'm guessing pretty low since it's already available free online and it's already in pretty good shape in terms of animation

Holy fuck you must be new.

I'm obviously new to sailor moon pal, I just finished Utena and felt like I needed to watch it.

You must be new to anime, animation, and any other videos stored on BD if you don't think shit BDs are possible.

>what is an upscale?

If they only remaster the film, and sound closer to the source then I don't see how it could be fucked up, especially with something as huge as SM. an SM BD that is shit doesn't make sense to me.

The original dubs were never meant to replace the original for otaku purists. Their job was to get approved by american network executive committee, *and* make the alien material accessable to the widest american-child viewership, shown besides reruns of Centurions and Captain Planet. If I remember right, they just wanted something girls could watch. They didn't intend to wake a bunch of would-be dormant weebs.

>..stays true to the source material
To the first OVA, you mean. Purists have read the manga.

I don't dislike the absurd jokes in the dub script. It's like a fandub with a budget, not meant to replace the original.

ah, ok that isn't even a thing that should exist, other than with like single episodes, that get destroyed in floods

>especially with something as huge as SM
The Dragonball BDs are a well known example of some of the worst around, so popularity has nothing to do with it.
Disney is also well known for releasing shitty BDs, and they're enormous.

Problems with colors, ghosting, cropping, and trying to sell an upscale as a remaster are all fairly common in animation BDs.

I always assumed the Dragonball BD issue was caused by the production company assuming when people thought of HD they thought it was 16:9. Not just a larger more detailed image. But exclusively anything that happened to be 16:9 was "HD".

That's the big issue, but the cause doesn't really matter when the end result is large portions of the original being cut from the top and bottom of the image.

That's one of the bigger problems with Disney BDs too, along with trying to remove all the grain and ending up with a blurry as fuck mess.

>Dub > Sub
>I've only watched a little so far and don't know what has been altered
The fact that its been altered at all means its a shit dub. And you're just cementing the ignorance of people who care about dubs.

The dub is *fun*. You ever have fun, user-kun?

>sailor moon is serious business

>having any darker content and storylines beyond the basic set up taken out is fun
wew

The same reason Hollywood is reviving MacGyver, Rush Hour and Die Hard all within the same year. Remakes and revivals require the least amount of effort and guarantee a certain amount of profit. While a brand new show requires more risk and may not break even in viewers/profit.

But while a show like Slayers or Eva tried to do something slightly unique, Sailor Moon Crystal is just trying to be a direct adaptation of the manga.

The real scary thing is, now Madhouse is looking to remake CardCaptor Sakura.

I only seen the Spanish version but I can honestly say that watching the American version felt like a slap in the face that I had to stop because I was getting angry and I didn't even watch the Japanese version.

>The dub is *fun*
So is the original show.

This isn't about Sailor Moon. Its about the slippery slope of altering products. If you can accept that half an entire show was edited and changed, then you can accept almost anything. Let's take CardCaptor Sakura and completely remove the love plot and any scene where Sakura is more important than Shaoran. But its totally okay because its just for kids!

It's totally okay because it's just for *amusement*. It's not the empreror being mistranslated and causing a war here.

At least the old dub was more meaningful for it's writers than the simple money-grab that crystal is.

Did you like the Sailor V manga?

People need to get over the dub and sub thing. You. don't. need. to. choose. There's nothing stopping you from watching dubs and subs at the same time. Problem solved, goddamn.

>It's totally okay because it's just for *amusement*.
Except for all the people who were turned off of the show because of the dub. Your experience does not speak for everyone else.

The problem with dubs is that, even if they try to be accurate, they still are an alteration. The very act of giving an animated character a new voice is the biggest alteration you can have. Try and watch The Simpsons in another language. It is so jarring to hear Homer's voice in another language that it will most likely turn you off. So why do you think its acceptable to do it with Japanese media into English?

When it comes to Sailor Moon, its an even more extreme example. 'Serena' is not the same character as Usagi not just because of a voice change, but also a name change and tons of plot changes. Sailor Moon as a whole can't even be called anime. The only thing that has any connection to Japan anymore is the animation. And even then, half the animation has been edited out.

Its an American cartoon with animation done in Japan.

if i don't know who serena is does that mean I'm watching the better dub?

>Except for all the people who were turned off of the show because of the sub. Your experience does not speak for everyone else.
>The problem with subs is that, even if they try to be accurate, they still are an alteration. The very act of giving an animation a text overlay is the biggest alteration you can have. Try and watch The Simpsons in another language. It is so jarring to read Homer's voice that it will most likely turn you off. So why do you think its acceptable to do it with Japanese media into English?
>When it comes to Sailor Moon, its an even more extreme example. 'Serena' is not the same character as Usagi not just because of a voice change, but also a name change and tons of plot changes. Sailor Moon as a whole can't even be called anime. The only thing that has any connection to Japan anymore is the animation. And even then, half the animation has been edited out.
>Its an American cartoon with animation done in Japan.

Yes

Do you happen to know what year it was produced? The newest dub that is, I can't seem to find the year

>All those people who were turned off to the show because of the dub.

What is target-audience?

2014. They're bringing out a dub of sailor moon S this November.

Your repeating things with slight alterations isn't clever because those points no longer make sense together. A subbed anime is still clearly anime and retains everything of the original. It just has a text translation on top. No one is going to deny that subs aren't 100% accurate. But you can still compare it to the original Japanese dialogue and notice the inaccuracies. If the Japanese character simply says 'sa' and there's a 15 word sentance produced by the subtitles, then obviously the subtitles are massively inaccurate. In this way, subtitles are more of a guide and not a replacement for dialogue.

Dubs on the other hand replace the original dialogue completely. You just have to accept that what ever the dub voice is saying is accurate, since there's nothing to compare it to. Plus all that was said above about the characters voice actor being changed, which no matter what mental gymnastics you want to go through, it is a major change from the original.

>What is target-audience?
What does the target audience have to do with the dub? Especially for a show like Sailor Moon which goes beyond its Shoujo audience. You can make an argument that more men were watching Sailor Moon in the west than women were. And I wonder why...

And the DiC dub of Sailor Moon is a perfect example of dumbing down a show to appeal to what they think young girls want.

Im on episode 7 and i don't see anything that is wrong with the viz dub. and yeah, I think that i'll grow to like these voices more than the sub, expecially hearing the difference between Lunas, who is my favorite character so far

>Your repeating things with slight alterations isn't clever because those points no longer make sense together. A dubbed anime is still clearly anime and retains everything of the original. It just has a different voice actor. No one is going to deny that dubs aren't 100% accurate. But you can still compare it to the original Japanese dialogue and notice the inaccuracies. If the Japanese character simply says 'sa' and there's a 15 word sentance produced by the mouth, then obviously the voices are massively inaccurate. In this way, dubs are more of a guide and not a replacement for dialogue.
>Subs on the other hand replace the original dialogue completely. You just have to accept that what ever the subtitle is saying is accurate, since there's nothing to compare it to. Plus all that was said above about the characters voice actor being changed, which no matter what mental gymnastics you want to go through, it is a major change from the original.

So you have no counter points? Cool.

>So you have no counter points? Cool.

It's your exact argument. Are you saying it's a poor one or something?

>What does the target audience have to do with the dub?

Are weebs this dense now..

>weebs

Sup Forums is the second door on the left.

Copying someone elses argument and changing one word is not a counter argument. Its deflection. But go ahead and keep doing it. I'm sure eventually you'll get the last post in and 'win'. If you call having no argument winning.

Where can I get the proper Japanese BD rips? Are there subs for them?

The original show or Crystal? If you're talking the original show, the R2 raws from the DVD are actually better quality. Search for [SMC].

Are you an SJW or something? Because you're using their style of countering people.

>mentioning SJW for no reason
please leave

>Exaggerated self-importance
>Empty posts

And "outside" is any door out of your parent's basement. Give it a try sometime.

I just call them as I see them.

I don't understand how there are still unironic fans of the DiC dub in 2016.

DiC Sailor Moon dubs of Classic and R = Ocean DBZ dub
Cloverway SM S/SuperS/movies dubs = Funimation DBZ dub (except actually accurate to Japanese script, uses Japanese music, mostly actually good acting. Still inconsistent with retarded lines of dialogue here and there)
Viz/Studiopolis SM redubs = DBZ Kai dub (including not being finished yet)

>Empty posts
>calling someone weeb and not responding to any of his points

Kind of like yours?

stop replying to him user, he's clearly underage

And just think. If people didn't have such a hang up on watching a Japanese show in you know...Japanese, then they could have avoided the hassle of having to wait 20 years for a decent dub and just enjoyed it long ago.

Is the BD release any good or is it just a shitty upscale job?

>Silence can't possibly express anything at all.
I forget Sup Forums is socially awkward so maybe I'll spell it out a bit. A person who can't understand why the culture of a translation would be changed to better suit it's target audience..wait, scratch that. A person who can't even understand why a TV network in the 90's *wouldn't* be enthused to be the one that exposed 10 year old girls to lesbians through afternoon cartoons is astronimically dense.

Second, to judge this dub as unusably bad for everyone because it strayed from the original is just another sign of over-reaching self-importance out of this poster. The dub did all the jobs it set out to do, and arguably paved the way for a much broader audience than a strict, direct, triple-edited, confirmed for accuracy, diplomatic-translation would have.

The silence said "the problem isn't dub/sub, original/crystal, pepsi/mtndew.., the problem is your incredible density only therapy and sunlight can cure".

>wtf am I reading?

upscale, read thread though

My bad, I'm blind. Well if there's ever a physical release of the DVD I would be so happy

> the problem is your incredible density only therapy and sunlight can cure".

I love this post.

Your Sup Forumsutism diagnosis, user-kun.

Does Sup Forums think Jupiter is best girl?

>astronimically
>unusably
>density

This post is a perfect example of why adverbs should be used sparingly. That is, the few of them that are actually words.

That's not how you spell Mars, user.

got the first letter right

>now Madhouse is looking to remake CardCaptor Sakura.
Source? I thought a sequel to the original anime was announced, not a stone cold remake.

It became a new manga which Madhouse will undoubtedly adapt. But a couple years ago, the producer for the original CCS said he was open to remake the show, specifically citing Sailor Moon Crystal as his inspiration.

Don't know if his plans changed because a sequel is being made or maybe his idea morphed into a sequel manga by CLAMP. But I'm glad they aren't doing it (yet).

Muh nigga

Should I bother watching the series? My only SM experience is having Mars as my waifu.

Because fucking christ, how can that not be your waifu.

Maybe an oldfag could detail some of these statements but:

True fans did all along, even though it was far harder back then to get subs until Pioneer's and ADV's DVD releases of the series and movies. You really had to know people. The TV airings of the DiC dub were easiest to access, and lot of people still got their first exposure and impressions of the characters from it. (which is where stuff like Chibiusa hate in the NA fanbase came from)

It didn't stop them from clamoring for an accurate dub of the series on internet BBSes, conventions, and the like since the late 90s after seeing that, though. The Viz dub existing was like a long lost dream suddenly come true for them.

DVD releases have accompanied the BD releases since the beginning. Just get the BD set for the first part of season 1 and get the DVD sets for the rest if you're buying it.

Yeah, def watch it man, Rei comes in on episode 10, the dub is also great (Viz dub that is)

to

>claim to have a waifu but never seen her show or know anything about her
Yes, you need to watch the show.

I hear you. The original was so good (sub and dub), it really does not need a remake. But hey, that could be said for any show now drenched in nostalgia.

I can't wait until SMC is done and over with, as it is nothing but a circle jerk. Yes, SM is the mother of the magical girl genre. Yes it introduced the girl equivalent to super sentai and changed the way we view female fighters as a whole. Yes, whole generations of girls and boys around the globe grew up on it and love it to this day and beyond, but dammit the magical girl genre of today is completely stagnant and stilted. Precure, while keeping the genre afloat a bit is nothing but a watered down version of what SM and CCS spearheaded; a unique story with the magical girl elements complementing it. These days it's the other way around.

>Year 2016 of our lord
>people are still waiting for a 25 year old show to get a dub instead of watching it

How is card captors Dub compared to Sailor moon?

> Yes, SM is the mother of the magical girl genre. Yes it introduced the girl equivalent to super sentai and changed the way we view female fighters as a whole. Yes, whole generations of girls and boys around the globe grew up on it and love it to this day and beyond, but dammit the magical girl genre of today is completely stagnant and stilted.
Yes on everything but the first one.

And the one who would fix Mahou Shoujo would be Junichi Sato. But he's too busy making Aria sequels and one shot shows no one watches.

Card Captors is the worst dub ever made, since its literally just 1/3 the show edited into an action series focused on Li. No idea what the full series dub is like, but I doubt its good.

what are your thoughts on the western cartoon Steven Universe?

Crystal S3 is fine

My thoughts are I couldn't even sit through one episode, because I couldn't stand Steven's 'lol ignorant humor is funny' or the girl with the glasses being such a bitch. Never have I ever hated a character so quickly than that glasses girl who did nothing but whine and bitch for 3 minutes and force Stephen and his dad to pay attention to her.

But, my point is that a Sailor Moon remake like the one we got could only have been this lucrative at a time like this, where mahou shoujo is pretty much dead and with no other big names or on the rise shows to compete with. Added in with the aforementioned stagnant state and of course SMC is doing great, even with the amounts of QUALITY, poor pacing and awful nonexistent character development. It plops it's big fat nostalgic ass right in the middle of the anime world of today and we eat it up because of its familiarity and comfort, ignoring the less glamorizing parts and subconsciously filling in pesky little details to the benefit of the producers who do less work because they know this.

Dougs Review of Sailormoon is the most cringe inducing shit

>This show is bad because i didnt knew about localization bs

Every single time

youtube.com/watch?v=pa2oHxME-aY

Pick it apart.

Well I was just pointing out that Sailor Moon isn't the mother of all Mahou Shoujo. I agree with your other points. Though I would venture to say that Sailor Moon Crystal is doing about as well now as it would in any climate.

Even if an amazing show on the level of Princess Tutu or CCS was out right now, the type of people who like Sailor Moon Crystal would still be watching it. Its a cash grab aimed right at the nostalgia as you said. So its not really gaining new fans or gaining viewers of the old anime, but pandering to the Manga fans. And that small group would watch it no matter when it came out. Just like I sat through all of Slayers R-Evo just because I'm a devoted Slayers fan, despite knowing it was shit.

Everything Doug puts out is cringe inducing shit.

I'm not going to give that guy a hit. Besides, most youtube reviewers know exactly what they're doing and purposefully mock stuff in an ignorant way to appeal to their ignorant viewers.