I'm about to watch this. I only watched DBZ as a kid. Is it actually good, no nostalgia involved?

I'm about to watch this. I only watched DBZ as a kid. Is it actually good, no nostalgia involved?

Dragon Ball is objectively better than Z. It's got far less filler than Z and is usually more clever about it. Also, the fights are better as they're more about technique than power levels.

It's better than z actually. Much funnier and the pace is not as dragged out either and the fights are less one sided then in Z.

Dood
doood
dooooooood

Why do americlaps only have watched DBZ?

This got me ptsd

Dragonball has dicks and sexual humor. These things cannot be on american TV in animated form, unless marketed as a comedy cartoon for adults.

Thus, nobody wanted to air it.

I rewatched all of DB + DBZ recently and I think DB is far, far better. Less filler, less edginess, less "ultra super mega" powerups, more fun, more adventure.

Watch the subs.

Dubbed version is censored and lack the insert songs that is in the JP version.

DB has adventure, better pacing, better stories, more drama, emotion, genuinely funny comedy and better battles. The tournaments are perfect with upsets and crazy final fights. By the end of the final fights both are so exhausted it normally comes down to luck.

It's pretty good, but very unlike DBZ.
I mean, there is a lot of characters all with unique powers and abilities and not much ""powerlevels"".
One of the most powerful guys is a rabbit that can change anyone into carrot AFAIR.

>mfw we only got the butchered to hell french version

>powerful
>sent to the moon by Goku on day 1 to make mochi until Roshi blows it up

>can literally eat anyone regardless of their power
He only got defeated because he happened to not pay attention for a brief moment.

>Thus, nobody wanted to air it.
But it did air in full on Toonami

>the fights are less one sided then in Z

Goku is an unstoppable machine throughout

For whatever reason, any time Dragon Ball was released in the US, it was by an unknown company that didn't have the funds or experience to handle it. Z on the other hand was more marketable due to the high action, so it got a proper release. What's worse is due to the popularity of the Z anime, the manga came in rebranded as Dragon Ball Z when it was always called Dragon Ball, or Dragonball. Basically it came first, then Dragon Ball. Some people thought Dragon Ball was a prequel, and hated it.

Even worse, I don't think Viz ever released the manga uncensored, every release has censored Goku's penis, Bulma's breasts or removed Popo's lips. In spite of that, the translations were more accurate and they finally called it Dragonball instead of Z.

tl;dr Watching DBZ first caused it to be preferred by Americans while the rest of the world got DB first, then Z.

>removed Popo's lips
Now that's just ridiculous.

He's slow and fat and needs to physically touch people to transform them. He was only a threat because he terrorized people that didn't have guns.

Read the manga, the anime is shit.

How good is the Dragonball manga?

Great

This, dbz was amazing when you were a kid because of all hype and suspense, but this time it'll be boring as fuck (l've been there)
But reading the manga was enjoyable as fuck

the only adventure is the journey to the west arc
rest is martial art

>judging a show by its shitty dub

>dbz
But OP is talking about DB.
There's a lot of traveling around throughout. In comparison, DBZ feels like it's constrained to some fighting arena wasteland and everything else is a sideshow.

in dragonball goku loses to roshi,tao pai pai,tien,daimao piccolo. Heck he was about to get hi ass beaten by yamcha in the introduction cause he didn't eat if it weren't for bulma.

>dbz
>But OP is talking about DB.
Same shit

They're very different. DB has much better pacing and a quite different tone. DBZ is slow as balls, it has great moments but the atmosphere dies in the next episode because filler-filler-filler. It's also less lighthearted and less funny.

>watching the dub

>They're very different.
No

I haven't.
Yes.

where the hell was she in DBZ

Have you watched and/or enjoyed any kung fu/martial arts/wuxia shows or movies?

Then you will enjoy this too. But read the manga, otherwise watch the subs.

That isn't Launch

No

that shit scared me a lot as a kid

yes

And in Z, Goku loses to Raditz, Vegeta, Ginyu, Android 19, Cell and Buu, so what's your point?

It is excellent! I just began a watch of this fine series.

the fights and the enemies are far more creative than the ones in Z

its really good, watch it user

Watched it like a year ago in my Dragon Ball marathon with no nostalgia attached.

I genuinely found myself enjoying it. And fights are better because they are actually more about punches and kicks rather than energy blasts spam.

>It was so spoopy, Funmation added ridiculous pirate laugh to try to make it less spoopy
It didn't werk

It's pretty cool
I also recommend dragonball advanced adventure
It's a gba game

I actually don't think you'd lose much of the story by just playing the game.

Dragon Ball is amazing, DBZ is only good up until the end of the frieza saga. Anything made after that is shit. Except maybe some of the Z movies.