With Isekai Shokudou being announced for anime adaptation...

With Isekai Shokudou being announced for anime adaptation, Japanese fans of Dungeon Meshi are also roaring for an adaptation of their manga. Do you think they will get it, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/_OQX0KkqVSk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm worried they won't get Kui's style down proper in animation. It should really stay on paper.

this
they will redesign Marcille as your average rape bait elf instead of giving her those fat ears

>someone actually wrote a ripoff of Dungeon Meshi only the MC gained OP powers from eating the monsters

Wew.

>tfw marcille already has a JAV

For real?

Goddamn, Dungeon Meshi may have less fanarts than other recent fantasy series but it thrived on the doujin aspect.

Fucking perverts

I'll be okay as long as they draw Marcille's reaction faces well.

only found this one T28-449
and looks like shit

while her reaction faces are gold, most of marcille's charm is the fact she doesnt look like an elf slut

I wouldn't call three doujins "thriving".

>and looks like shit
Fuck it dling anyways.

>most of marcille's charm is the fact she doesnt look like an elf slut

Yeah, just compare her to the elf in Goblin Slayer.

Does she do elf break dancing in the jav? This is important.

Goblin Slayers elf is pretty tame.

Nigga...

>Isekai Shokudou
looks nice

she looks cute

>Do you think they will get it, Sup Forums?

I hope not. Getting an adaptation is the #1 killer of good threads for a series.

So true.

Isn't this a bit egoistical? As long as it's a good adaption I would like more people to know about dungeon meshi and I wish Ryoko every kind of success.

I don't really get the market for adapations. They don't wait for a series to be finished and either have to end on a significant moment or go anime original.

Animation studios have lower budgets for this kind of thing so it always impacts the final quality of the series.

If it was just a little animated promo to drum up hype that would be fine. It happened for Houseki no Kuni and I thought it looked fine
youtu.be/_OQX0KkqVSk

And dear god do character designs not carry over. I just was that Demi-chan was getting an adapation and the art has changed to generic moe-blob bullshit.

I feel like only a handfull of LNs and stuff like FMA got decent adaptations in the last 10 years, and it took them two tries to get FMA right.

I doubt the manga designs are very hard to adapt to animation since they're pretty clean-lined and not too detailed.

>Steven Universe comparison

I'm triggered now

What is this? Was the author inspired by Ghibli's Kaguya or something?

theyll make Marcille a complete slut or a generic moeblob

The point of most adaptations is literally to bring in secondaries, people who don't normally read manga, or haven't read this particular mamga at least. They often aren't looking to adapt the whole thing, they want you to go read the manga to get more of the series.

Adaptations exist to boost sales of the source material. And to a lesser extend expand the franchise into a wider variety of merchandise.

Fuck you this is actually a good series about rock people.

Series is called Houseki no Kuni, takes place after Earth has been ravaged by multiple meteors and all conventional life has disappeared. The main cast consists of the sentient rock people who now populate one of the fragments of earth as they defend themselves from the everpresent threat of those they call "moon people" who shatter and kidnap them.

They'll make her design more generically cute and try to moe her up as waifu-bait.

Not necessarily. There are plenty of anime that adapt the source material's designs faithfully.
Marcille is already pretty moe anyway even if she doesn't fit your own stereotype of the word.

please dont

I doubt that Delicious in Dungeon will get an adaptation within the next two years, simply because there's not enough material to be adapted for a 12 episodes show yet.

>Adaptations exist to boost sales of the source material. And to a lesser extend expand the franchise into a wider variety of merchandise.
I don't have a problem with this in principle, stuff like the Durarara and Baccano anime got me into the series proper. But if it's not done with quality all it really is is introducing what I'd consider an inferior product to drum up sales. Plus I live in burgerland, I'm already tired of people trying to merchandise and sell everything on every format possible.

It does make sense why they push for these while a series is ongoing though. But recently the quality of adaptations has been so mediocre that I don't want to see series that are actually good get the treatment.

>Marcille is already pretty moe anyway even if she doesn't fit your own stereotype of the word.

This

Most of other recent fantasy manga don't have doujins though.

Yes. And it will be as bad as pick related.

well, that was shit from the source

>But recently the quality of adaptations has been so mediocre that I don't want to see series that are actually good get the treatment.

Most adaptations are bland because the source is bland.

>They don't wait for a series to be finished and either have to end on a significant moment or go anime original.

I believe that if they do adapt it, they'll probably do 2 chapters per episode, with the dragon being 2-3 eps.
The ending would definitely have to be a little original. Probably after reviving Laius's sister, the narrator will say something like "and then we went home, but our adventures continue!"

It would probably be terrible ("hey this is like nerdy Shokugeki no Soma it's a cooking manga hahaha lololol xDDD"), but not impossible to do.

Sometimes they're legitimately bad, like the Gate adaptation.

I don't want my Marcille to get the K-On treatment

Christ.

I hope Marcille´s voice will be more accurate, at least.

Hahaha

>Most adaptations are bland because the source is bland.
Looking at the last couple of seasons I can't deny that

This however I can. Jitsu Wa is pretty good.

>but not impossible to do.
Not impossible but it would need a good budget, good direction, consistent quality in animation and sound design, character models that are on point, and some self control on the producers behalf to not try and pander to secondaries too hard.

>self control on the producers behalf to not try and pander to secondaries too hard.
What does that even mean?

Still buttmad about this.

See the character designs here? don't do that shit. Most of the designs in GATE made characters look like idols or stuff. One military chick went from being described as stocky in the WN to being an idolmaster character.

Plus if you assume that the largest financial market is going to be otaku (who will buy blu-rays and merchandise) don't insert the usual forms of fanservice as further enticement.

>People were actually surprised and angry about the cat maid.

I don't know what they were expecting after the terrible resdesigns of everyone else in the promotional art.

That's not exactly pandering to secondaries as much as simply shitty character designs.
Animefags aren't all that hot on shitty designs either. Sourcefags and secondaries share the same interest of not wanting to watch a shitty anime.

>One military chick went from being described as stocky in the WN to being an idolmaster character.

I still have no idea what they were thinking with her re-design.

the anime art is closer to the LN than the manga is
the manga is the terrible redesign

Anime version is clearly best.

rory looks good though

Yeah if we discount completely redesigning Rori's dress and moe-fying Lelei by about 8 years younger.
Oh and Itami's ex-wife, which the LN and Manga depicted as should be and looks like a 14y middle-schooler in the anime.
Oh right, and let's not forget all the monstergirls save the Medusa who got destroyed like this Oh and Miyute turning from a blue feathered siren to a green parrot for no reason.
Oh and most adult old men turning into Bishies with Shiki-tier hairstyles for no reason.

Right totally "closer to the LN".

>That's not exactly pandering to secondaries as much as simply shitty character designs.
But that's the thing. Look at the three designs here. The Light novel has a 5 foot whatever female soldier. Manga has a 5 foot whatever female soldier with bigger tits. Anime has some little girl wearing combat fatigues with big tits.

Same with Jitsu Wa and a lot of other material that got adapted. The animated designs are made more cutesy and if it's not pandering to secondaries in that name, it's pandering to someone who likes that particular aesthetic.

I thought the JWWW anime designs were fine
the gags just didn't translate well into anime

Daily reminder that we can't ever have nice things

Which makes me super worried about what's going to happen when Kaguya gets its inevitable adaption.

Doesn't matter if you like the K-On treatment or not, that sort of shit shouldn't happen.

I mean how hard is it to stick to the original designs? Why ruining character by making them all younger idols?

I'm insulted you're comparing Dungeon Meshi with isekai garbage

A bull dyke breaks ruins the fantasy setting. Bull dykes are the kind of females you'll find in the real army, I want a qtie in my anime.

fuck off Gate autists
kill yourselves

I haven't actually read Isekai Shokudou. Dunno if it has a plot or it's just food-of-the-week

>White people?

>*crowd starts getting upset and heckles begin*

>Listen, listen my brothers!

>White people should be fucking ENSLAVED!

>*crowd starts slowly applauding*

>Every single fucking subhuman white man should be strung on meat hooks

>*crowd starts standing and giving a standing ovation*

>The white man should then be anally penetrated with not black cocks, but black dildos

>*crowd is stunned and is getting slightly violent*

>Why you ask? These privileged white men don't deserve the dark chocolate cock!!!!

>*crowd ferociously yells in approval*

>These white men will only lick up the creme filling after their women are chained up and rammed by the giant chocolate yodels that are the BBC!!!!!

>*crowd is making tribal chants*

>We will hunt down the white man!! We shall castrate them all and sacrifice their women to the black man!!!!!! The offspring will be brought to the interracial breeding grounds!!!! I will clean up the remains with my white boy tongue!!! I shall serve the black man's cock with my white boy tongue!!!! The black man will have his way with me and my people!!!!

>*crowd is erupting and stampedes the theater as the white men are hog tied and dragged to the cock chambers and the women willfully submit to their black masters

>SHABAZZ!!! SHABAZZ!!!! THE BLACK MAN SHALL RISE AGAIN. LITTLE WHITE COCK? I THINK NOT!!!!!

"Isekai" is all I need to hear to condemn it.

"Pandering to secondaries" is just a retarded phrase.
I know it's cool to hate on people who got introduced to something in a different way than you so you might want to blame them for shitty adaptions by getting "pandered" to but chances are that they would have prefered something closer to the source material too if that would make an anime less shitty.

That's because Jistu wa uses a lot of visual gags and character reactions for the humor. If you fuck with the artstyle and character designs for it you kill most of the humor. And then you're just left with the story, and the early parts of the series that the anime adapted are the worst parts of the series in that regard.

Changing the art for the series was a major case of the studio shooting itself in the foot. The terrible delivery of the remaining gags only compounded the base issue.

Maybe they licensed just the original novel, rather than the LN or manga, and had to go with different character designs to avoid paying the LN or manga artists?

give it to kyoani they will do it justice
too bad nigger only adapt their inhome novels now

what the fuck are wew doing?

elves are cumdumps, don't treat them as equals

@ 146873968

I think the anime just lacked the balls to stick to the LN's guns.
I mean they even censored most of the blood and deaths.

>Changing the art for the series was a major case of the studio shooting itself in the foot.
The most stupid thing is that they clearly didn't change it enough. Many people who weren't already fans of the manga still thought the anime promo-art looked weird and off-putting. If they wanted to go with another art style, they should pretty much have gone all the way through, not stopped at some odd middle point.

Doga Kobo should animate it.

>K-On designs are probably one of the worst things to happen to anime since it's a fairly easy design to make with consistency

JUST

>I thought the JWWW anime designs were fine
I thought they looked rather poor in motion. Plus the varying degrees of change in facial structure threw me off. I kind of with they pulled a Studio David and stuck to the author's original style at the time and slowly morphed them to their current incarnations. It worked for Iggy and Jitsu wa did have that previous style the first volume or so.

>the gags just didn't translate well into anime
That's the real shame of the anime.

>know it's cool to hate on people who got introduced to something in a different way than you so you might want to blame them for shitty adaptions by getting "pandered" to but chances are that they would have prefered something closer to the source material too if that would make an anime less shitty.
This is a lot of projection going on here, I don't hate secondaries because I am one myself from time to time. I'm to understand that animated adaptations are made in part to drum up interest in a series by bringing in a new market. When the adaptations takes liberties with character designs and sometimes plot events or sequences in order to draw in that crowd I'm left to assume that there is something of a successful market in doing so.

And it's undeniable that studios do this frequently because each season we have threads of manga or LN fans bitching about how things got changed. Remember Overlord and how Albido's armor went from being gender neutral to skintight? That's the kind of "pandering to secondaries" I don't like.

>She's drawn with better proportions in the anime version
>they just gave her a moe pose

>When the adaptations takes liberties with character designs and sometimes plot events or sequences in order to draw in that crowd I'm left to assume that there is something of a successful market in doing so.
You're overlooking the possibility of anime creators doing that because to suit their own taste.
I'm not much of a fan of any allegations of pandering for that reason.
Either way my point is that there are secondaries with different kinds of tastes so changing the source material doesn't inherently pander to them. You said so yourself in
> it's not pandering to secondaries in that name, it's pandering to someone who likes that particular aesthetic.
I don't even know what you're still arguing about.

I'd take a proper Goth Loli Rori anytime over that shitty cat ears costume they gave her in the anime.

>not recognizing when an animation studio uses their own style instead of the source style
C'mon man. See pic related. Same studio, notice any similarities?

>You're overlooking the possibility of anime creators doing that because to suit their own taste
Good for them, I want an adaptation of a manga, not the animation studio using it as an excuse to do their own things.

>I'm not much of a fan of any allegations of pandering for that reason.
That's what it looks like from down here user.

>Either way my point is that there are secondaries with different kinds of tastes so changing the source material doesn't inherently pander to them
By definition, changing the source material to suit the tastes of secondaries in order to get them to watch the show or buy merchandise is pandering. You realize that right?

>I don't even know what you're still arguing about.
Since you don't like the phrase "pandering to secondaries" i changed it to "pandering to someone who likes that particular aesthetic" That aesthetic being the one where character designs are "moeified" or made more cutesy than in the source material.

>By definition, changing the source material to suit the tastes of secondaries in order to get them to watch the show or buy merchandise is pandering
There's no thing as a "taste of secondaries". And
>anime creators doing that because to suit their own taste
is still a possibility, so even if you don't approve of that either changing the source material isn't pandering by definition and much less to pandering to secondaries as a whole.
Also, getting people to watch the show and selling merchandise would be a goal even an anime that stays faithful to the source material would have.

pander
verb pan·der \ˈpan-dər\
: to do or provide what someone wants or demands even though it is not proper, good, or reasonable

So for example
>Anime market likes cute girls and idol related stuff
>adapt series about military adventures in fantasy land
>Take character designs and make them more in line with what market likes
>release series
Sounds like pandering to me.

>There's no thing as a "taste of secondaries"
And yet we can identify a clear design trend in adaptations coming out in recent years. So there clearly exists some notion of how to appeal to the anime market and what that means.

>Also, getting people to watch the show and selling merchandise would be a goal even an anime that stays faithful to the source material would have.
So why don't more studios just stick with the source material and stop trying to change things to improve their margins?

They're told by the production committee that hires them what they need to do to sell.

>: to do or provide what someone wants or demands even though it is not proper, good, or reasonable
Define proper, good or reasonable.
The thing is anime creators still are humans with their own tastes, just like the people they are allegedly pandering to. If their tastes align more with those people than with you that's unfortunate for you but no necessarily pandering.
>And yet we can identify a clear design trend in adaptations coming out in recent years. So there clearly exists some notion of how to appeal to the anime market and what that means.
I'd say that's a pretty subjective impression and it still wouldn't justify implying that any secondary adheres to that notion
>So why don't more studios just stick with the source material and stop trying to change things to improve their margins?
There are anime that stick to the source material though and try to reproduce its charm.

>Define proper, good or reasonable.
Read the whole chain man. We can assume maintaining faithfulness to the source material in regards to character designs, characterization, and plot progressions fall under those three terms.

>If their tastes align more with those people than with you that's unfortunate for you but no necessarily pandering.
Do you hear yourself? So if a series gets popular enough to warrant an adaptation, and I'm a fan of the original story, it's my problem that the animation studio is going to take liberties because it's "their tastes". God forbid they have some professionalism. This is why I loved David Studio's adaptations of JoJo's Bizarre adventures, sure the 90's OVA was good in it's own right, but David made a lot of effort to be as faithful to Araki's work even down to small details like character designs changing over time. And it was amazing.

What you're saying is fuck me and every other fan for wanting an anime that captures the original material and brings it into motion.

>There are anime that stick to the source material though and try to reproduce its charm.
And I like those. Guess what, this conversation isn't about the ones that do it, it's the one's that don't.

That's my problem. If a series isn't looking like it would be worth adapting without making some pretty substantial changes maybe they shouldn't do it.

>We can assume maintaining faithfulness to the source material in regards to character designs, characterization, and plot progressions fall under those three terms.
That's from your perspective. What counts to me is the intent of the creator.
>So if a series gets popular enough to warrant an adaptation, and I'm a fan of the original story, it's my problem that the animation studio is going to take liberties because it's "their tastes".
I'm not saying you have to like it. You can still call it bad (though I personally think it's better to formulate what exactly makes some changes negative rather than criticizing something just for being a change to the source material) but it's not necessarily pandering, much less to everyone who classifies as secondary.
>Guess what, this conversation isn't about the ones that do it, it's the one's that don't.
You're the one who brought it up though.

>You're the one who brought it up though.
You specifically brought up that there are good adaptations as a counter to my question of why don't more studios just stick to the source material. That is not a defense when we are talking about the perceived problems with bad adaptations right now.

>That's from your perspective. What counts to me is the intent of the creator.
So things like "adherence to source material" don't matter? Was the original anime for FMA a good adaptation because they tried really hard to make their own ending that had some thematic similarity to the parts of the manga that were already out?

>though I personally think it's better to formulate what exactly makes some changes negative rather than criticizing something just for being a change to the source material
This whole time I have been outlining what changes are bad and why. When talking about character designs I talk about how either the art style isn't respected or the characters are redesigned to fit in more with the moe or idol market.
When talking about story I talked about how things like jokes aren't properly carried out.
When talking about story I also mentioned diverging from the source material, mostly because the adaptations are made when the series is still ongoing rather than when it's finished. Or there isn't enough material on hand to fill up even a single cour when the adaptation is made.

I'm not just ranting and raving about secondaries, I have legitimate grievances with the current state of adaptations enough to make me not want to see a series like Dungeon Meshi get the same treatment. I do see a clear trend in appealing to the anime-only crowd, for better or for worse. I called it pandering because it can't be anything else given how it happens. If you change a series to make it more palatable to a different group guess what? That's pandering. No way around the word it's how this particular facet of the industry works right now.

Hopefully not, in these days on neo-Sup Forums adaptions bring nothing good. Not only are they rarely ever as good as the manga but not all threads about the series get ruined forever about the time episode 1 airs.

>That is not a defense when we are talking about the perceived problems with bad adaptations right now.
Sure it is, as it offers you a perspective outside of your perceived problems and it obviously is an answer to the question why there aren't more faithful adaptions since I think there is a decent amount of them.
>So things like "adherence to source material" don't matter?
It matters to you user. No one can take that away from you. I'm just talking about the intent of the creator not being necessarily to pander.
>This whole time I have been outlining what changes are bad and why
I didn't mean to imply you're not someone who does that. I hope you didn't ignore the main point of that statement (it's the part that wasn't written in brackets.) You can criticize adaptions you don't like all you want but the reason for those negative changes doesn't necessarily have to be pandering.
> If you change a series to make it more palatable to a different group guess what? That's pandering
You also make it less palatable to another group which would support the thesis of directors just suiting themselves.

We kinda digressed. I seriously don't even care if you want to explain changes to the source material with pandering to a perceived group of people with certain tastes (although you can't prove it). All I really care about is that there is no pandering to secondaries per se.

This picture still triggers me

I hope not.
Anime ruins everything.

Well, pretty much nothing from the magazine it's being published in got an anime, so I guess not?

You know character design changes are sometimes just as simple as "we don't have the money for that kind of detail" or to differentiate between the LN and manga versions.

>All I really care about is that there is no pandering to secondaries per se.
We just have to disagree. When I look at good adaptations I notice that they don't insert some of the problematic elements I have already mentioned. The poorer adaptations do have more of them and the overall work suffers.
One other thing I notice is that some of these types of elements form a pattern and when you take a step back and look at the overall picture you see an attempt on the productions studios behalf to make a story more enticing by adding these elements.

To use overlord as an example again. Here is the description of the succubus character Albedo while she is in her suit of armor.

>At the same time the ‘Gate’ started to slowly disappear without a trace. A person dressed in a full set of black armor appeared. The armor made the figure look like a devil. Covered with spikes and not showing the tiniest amount of skin. Wearing metal gloves with long claws, in one hand a black kite shield, the other holding an axe gently emitting a green glow. Wearing a blood red cloak fluttering in the wind, complementing the red blouse worn underneath. “It took some time for me to prepare, I apologize for making you wait.”

Pic related is the manga and anime interpretation of this description and others found in the LN. Keep in mind that while wearing this suit Albedo is completely unrecognizable as female as far as the LN is concerned. Only her voice betrays her gender.

So I ask the question. Why does a studio decide to make changes like this for an anime when they are making it based off the popularity of the original series be it manga or Light Novel? If the original isn't good enough what good comes from pandering to a different audience who might bounce of the original because it's not like the anime they got introduced to?

>So I ask the question. Why does a studio decide to make changes like this for an anime when they are making it based off the popularity of the original series be it manga or Light Novel? If the original isn't good enough what good comes from pandering to a different audience who might bounce of the original because it's not like the anime they got introduced to?
This for example. Or how I already stated over and over again because the anime creators think they are doing something good or want to do their own things as people who work in a creative job.

That's not the point though. There is no pandering to secondaries AS A WHOLE since it's not a homogenous group with homogenous taste.

>There is no pandering to secondaries AS A WHOLE
And like I said, if you don't like the phrase pandering to secondaries I provided a different phrase that gets my same point across. There is a design aesthetic that sells very well right now for the anime market. Studios adopt these trends in order to bolster interest and potentially improve sales. Doing so is pandering plain and simple. You're getting caught up in your own semantics.

>This for example
If I was just talking about budgetary problems that would be an appropriate response. However that's not the case with some of the redesigns I've mentioned or brought up.

>Or how I already stated over and over again because the anime creators think they are doing something good or want to do their own things as people who work in a creative job.
And I've already stated that I'd rather have a faithful adaptation rather than a studio thinking they can do a better job. If they want an original series why not push for one instead of using someone else's work? This is exactly the same problem as the live-action adaptation market where directors use a source as an excuse to tell their own stories. It led to some abysmal movies like the Attack on Titan duology or the Fatal Frame movie. And possibly the next example will be the Ghost in the Shell movie.