Why are Vietnam veterans crazier than other vets?

Why are Vietnam veterans crazier than other vets?

boomers

Because they saw real shit, like every other vets on every other wars the U.S. fought.

combo of
gorilla style(extra gritty)combat
chemical exposure(agent orange)
and jungle parasites

Vietnam was hell.

it was the last real war
also lacked the propaganda that left ww2 vets feeling justified

How does this answer his question?

They actually had to fight. Today the corporate goon squad launch missiles from miles away or pilot a drone from their hometown. The grunts just stick around to rape a little but there's no work for them to do

LSD

Because it's a long road when you're on your own.

you forgot the drugs aswell man

When you're pushed, killing's as easy as breathing.

It was hell.

Close, but it’s actually because they couldn’t even get jobs parking cars.

they were issued rifles that malfunctioned A LOT

I think I read something like the average ww2 vet saw 2 weeks of combat in 2 years but the average Vietnam vet saw 260 days of combat in 1 year

Soldiers that are forced/drafted are more negatively affected than those that do it by choice. Add to that the daily dismal drudge of trying to kill bugs in their own nests, and those that make it home being attacked politically and socially even by their own families.. and you've got some long term negative effects.

Because unlike those faggots in WW2 they didn't desert and when they got home everyone spit on them
Also they were raised in a make believe world(see: idealized 50's and 60's)
I'd be fuckin psycho too

more than 50k died so im guessing it was quite shitty as opposed to modern wars where just a few hundred to a couple of thousand die here and there, in western countries anyway

all those bugmen and soyboys you see in positions of authority at college spit at them.

fuck them.

Because of the eerie effects of the vietnam PTSD, many say Apocalypse now reveals something closer to what vietnam turned out to be after while.

>Why are Vietnam veterans crazier than other vets?
Heroin and malaria.

we do drugs now too thats irrevlevant

Asians are fucking insane, they thought up the most brutal shit possible and executed it.

Dear newfags, do not respond to garbage like this. This incoherent, meaningless thread, which cites no source, which uses no logic, which gives no context (OP is unfamiliar with the Civil War vets sometimes becoming a public nuisance in the Gilded Age), is an attempt by enemies of the board (which includes bots and bot-like newfags who are only pretending to be retarded) to defame us and stop discussion.
Who are you, OP? Anyone heard of you? You're a no-talent. This is one of the most important places in North America.

And they got shit on when they came home.

Draft Most just weren't into it. No evil Nazi to fight

>agent orange
First off there is no such thing, it was just called Orange by the US military. POS hippie fucked naked it agent orange to make it sound scary.
Second, it was extremely rare that any soldiers every got hit by the stuff as it was thoroughly checked and rechecked before it was dropped at all and iirc there were only 8 reported cases of this ever happening and all but one of them was done because they didn't know the men were there(8th was because a bunch if dudes hiding it who had been thought Mia were there)

Wtf is that true?

the liberals back then(hippies)... the liberals back then started the whole problem we have today with liberals today. they gave them zero respect for being in a war...while other (wars). even today get more respect then they did back then during Vietnam.

Actually there were far less drafted men in Vietnam than in either Korea or WW2
The most of them were drafted myth was propaganda created to turn public opinion

because charlies in the fucking trees

This. WW1/2 were MUCH worse but the boomers bitched and whined 10 times as much and they were shitty soldiers. And they still turned out to be the worst generation even after that.

Probably due to the fact that Vietnam was arguably the first conflict where the public truly started questioning the official narrative. World war 2 vets were welcomed home as a hero for the most part. Vietnam vets were welcomed home by college students and hippies spitting at them and holding up signs saying baby killer. I suppose the belief that what you did was just or necessary combined with support from others makes the burden of war a bit easier to bear. They didn't have that and a lot of them self medicated with drugs due to their sudden abundance thanks to the hippie counter culture growing.

because of the chemicals and psychological warfare we used. takes a real toll on the mind

boomers are mentally ill

there's your answer op, it was an absolute hell

Average days of combat for WWII US infantryman in 4 years: 40
Average days of combat for vietnam US infantryman in one year: 240

Vietnam vets saw an average of 24 times the shit a WWII vet did.

>do not respond to garbage like this.
>responds to garbage like this
i bet you still think saging a thread makes a difference

/thread

because charlie don't surf

They knew the truth about what they were doing AND they were drafted. Whisked out of their lives one day and sent to die in a jungle 10,000 miles from home. So they ones who survived it were a wee bit...perturbed.

I don't think there are any crazier than any other veterans in any other War. After World War II no one wanted to make fun of World War II veterans by the nature of the war that they fought, same goes for korea. Where as Vietnam was a extremely unpopular War so it was easier to criticize, make fun of an label these guys is crazy.

And Whitey's on the moon...

This
True

Dad was in Nam. Airborne Ranger served 2 tours. Came back from the 1st tour, and went full trip on someone trying to wake him up from a nightmare he was having. Almost killed them. Went back in as it was all he knew. Got out 2nd tour, became a painter who specialized in tall structures, bridges, navy ships. Hanging off the side of something and sandblasting and painting it was the only good job he could find where he could apply his skills. Had lots of issues with drinking and fighting all throughout my childhood.

Benefits of having a crazy Nam dad:

>Learned CQC and how to shoot at early age
>Learned how to pack, ration, and track at an early age
>Explosives and booby traps
>Whole neighborhood scared of me and my brothers because at one time my dad really did kick your dad ass in real life

So many crazy stories, could write a book.

I know this sounds like a meme but I have an uncle with agent orange scars on his arm. I didn't know he was such a rare case

True. You are all about shit.

Mushrooms?

Because it was a bullshit war.

don't you dare spread this disinfo you fucking nigger. the m16 never experienced any mistakes in design, the reason that the rifles would jam was because the first batch of ammo that the military ordered had the wrong amount of powder and it caused short-stroking. Military bureaucracy fucked up, not the weapon designers.

FYI the total combat fatalities from Iraq and Afghanistan is around 11,000 for USA, 15,000 for all of NATO.

They weren't properly debriefed upon leaving nam. The worst ones are the guys who got hurt and had to leave their squaddies behind and they all died without him.

Then they came back to america and all the commie college libs spat on them and called them baby killers.

My dad was a Vietnam veteran. Riverboat skipper and navy chief. Agent Orange takes about two weeks to kill whole swaths of jungle but it took nearly 50 years to kill my dad.

Why does Sylvester Stallone have inverted cheeks?

Yes. It wasn't a Total War. Many Vietnam vets weren't appreciated when they returned from the war and that further exacerbated any potential mental issues.

They're not
It's a meme pushed by Jewlywood
Jews under-represented in VN: were 2.5% of US population but less than 0.5% KIA in VN, but over-represented in Hollywood and news media
1985 VN vets survey WaPo/ABC: 91% glad they served
VN vets had no higher rate of drug use than gen pop
Many schizo homeless claiming to be VN vets were never in the military or never saw combat

Conscription, people who weren't cut out to see/do shit forced to see/do it

Its not rare there was commercials for law suits about it back in the day. I don't know why that poster is makingt it seem like it never happened.

Pacific vets are more fucked up. Battle between difference races turn into no prisoner mode really quickly.

keep sniffing wood glue faggot.

Did Nam vets actually get called baby killers? Or was that just something in First Blood?

This is the most correct answer so far. Lt. Col. Grossman devotes an entire section of his book On Killing to answering this question. Being drafted and seeing intense and unpredictable combat for a prolonged period of time were primary factors.

Highly recommend his books On Killing and On Combat. I rarely see them in Sup Forums reading lists but there's a lot of good knowledge in them that applies to a lot of Sup Forums threads.

OEF vet here. 100+ days of combat in a year. At one point we were in a TIC every day for over a month.

At the VA I feel closer to the Vietnam vets than others. Most of them are hardcore stone-cold killers. You can see it in their eyes.

BUUUUURRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNN

Community sevise god.

Geurilla warfare

Pop said hippies called him a rapist too.

>and jungle parasites

hey joe, you rike fuckee fuckee? Me so horny me rove you rong time joe.

Because that's the stereotype the media wants to propagate.

Many reasons.

1. Young and drafted into a war that was more blurred than "they're the bad guys" and not so patriotic. WW2 people were excited about war, and had a cause after Pearl Harbor and that Germans were evil.

2. They were thrown into a jungle environment, with traps and local fauna trying to kill them everywhere in the most fucked up ways, meanwhile WW2 vests travels around European towns and felt with more conventional horrors.

3. Vietnam people were so confidant in themselves, they won WW2 how could you lose to farmers? Next thing you know command is disorganized and you're lose in a jungle with maybe a tiger stalking you. WW2 was for the most part organized and if you got lost, you're just near a town or familiar land.

4. The return home, losers, hated, and broke. WW2 was Victorious, happy, wealthy.

>It ain't me starts dropping napalm

Nice. Canadian talking shit after they fucking lost control of southern Afghanistan. The people who went in after you tools had a fucking shit storm to clean up.

Chemicals, crazy gook shit, massive psychological trauma, and not just from combat.

Not really most of them were farmer boys, came from the last white gangs/greasers extreme poverty. The guys they sent over there probably saw plenty of people die in the states.

>Why are Vietnam veterans crazier than other vets?

Your asserted conclusion is inaccurate but you are a shitposting nigger not interested in rational discussion in your slide thread.

However since all Sup Forums is slide threads and Shareblue won it doesn't matter.

Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

Your numbers are higher on both ends but essentially this

underrated

heroin

and they lost to farmers with ww2 rifles

Bullshit.

They would dump it over vast areas. My uncle was covered it in several times (25th ID then 5th group). Caught cancer in early 2000's.

Then again he loved AO. Even after cancer. He said he'd rather survive in the jungle and die of cancer 30 years later than be ambushed and killed at 25 years old in the jungle.

I've heard some real shit happening when vets get PTSD triggers. Glad you can see the bright sides of having a hero father who's been through literal hell. Thank you for sharing.

That's true. You guys did a fantastic job in Afghanistan. It's in tip top shape.

It was rare nigger, go check the library of Congress archives if you don't believe me
Accidental Orange exposure was rare as fuck and if you got it you sure as hell weren't supposed to. The biggest problem with it is that it can linger for a bit and even straight up skin contact can fuck you something fierce, so say going through a drop site to see if any Charlie's survived and accidentally pushing back giant palm frauns or leaves with your arm that still has some orange in it could mean your screwed.
It was used to hose known occupied areas of gorillas not bomb and then send the troops in with fixed bayonetts.
More than likely everything you know about 'Nam is outright propaganda, get educated son and stop believing all the Jew and hippie lies you we're fed your whole life

Maybe they weren't. WW1 did a huge job on the vets too. If they were, it's probably because they came home to indifference or hostility after all they had seen and been subjected to.

They're not. Just ((((Hollywood)))) propaganda.

>Agent Orange takes about two weeks to kill whole swaths of jungle but it took nearly 50 years to kill my dad.
Again it's just called Orange
>Took 50 years to kill him
Then your dad died of old age nigger

No they definitely did
Fuckken pinko scum called them the worst names in the book and would treat them like absolute shit, brainwashed or no they all deserved to have their heads caved in

WW2 - US Army on glorified cleanup duty
Vietnam - REAL SHIT

Yeah it's likely. The Helicopter allowed the military to cart troops around to hotspots and there was little regard to mental health. There was a spike in troop activity in WW1 with the constant bombardments. Troops would be "in combat" for days if not weeks at a time just getting pounded by artillery 24/7. Mid-war they realized people were losing their fucking minds and had to be rotated out after some rather spectacular cases of shell shock were appearing and they couldn't hide it as one off cases. During WW2 you switched back to maneuver warfare where two armies would dance around "on the line" before meeting and initiating a sharp clash of arms and one moving backwards. Same with Korea but the lines were tighter since the terrain was so shit. By Vietnam technology had allowed troops be carted around incessantly. This meant a reversion back towards FoB and major military bases where troops would be carted off to a hot spot to fight an incursion before being carted home. This kind of warfare has continued to this day. Marines in Fallujah for example saw combat EVERY DAY as they traveled in convoy through the clover (look at a sat map of the region)

>Apocalypse now
Everywhere is
freaks and hairies
Dykes and fairies,
tell me where is sanity
Tax the rich,
feed the poor
Till there are
no rich no more?
I'd love to change the world,
but I don't what to do...
So I'll leave it up to you.

Again, Drafting wasn't nearly as widespread as it's made out to be
2/3 of Nam vets joined of their own volition

They were drafted, shipped off to a god-forsaken jungle, told to kill for 'murica, and got spat on when they got back while be called 'baby-killers'.

so the vietnam war was 5 times as dangerous. i mean no disrespect

There was also drugs...WW2 vets had cigs at most.

The West's cultural narrative was shifted after WW2 (Holocaust, Colonialism, Germans and therefore white people evil, etc) from a birthing myths of virtue and heroism to one born of sin and guilt.

Basically the West got kiked, in the ass. HARD.

With our defining myths of heroism shifted to one of cold sinful murderers our returning warriors were treated as the new shifted cultural narrative demanded.

If you are the targeted villain of that new myth from the entire culture you get a little fucked in the head by it.

they were neglected by our government and our populous. The media agitated against the war. It must be psychological torture fighting in a war that no one wants, watching your buddies die a horrible death they didn't deserve, and coming home to a nation that doesn't appreciate you. I genuinely feel for nam vets, they went through hell

>gorilla style(extra gritty)combat
VC were niggers? Damned, that explains everything.

lol

>this jungle is hot
>my feet hurt
>I wish I was at home smoking pot and fucking my hippie gf
damn boomers

>hot jungle

>mosquitoes bigger than your dick

>high casualty rate

>drugs

>fucked up zipphead enemy

>booby traps galore

What's not to love?