Kishimoto Sensei: Plus, I believe that in terms of pure illustration ability, a manga artist cannot beat an animator

>Kishimoto Sensei: Plus, I believe that in terms of pure illustration ability, a manga artist cannot beat an animator.

>First off, there’s a huge difference in the amount of material they have to draw. And they have to worry about the lens, about the angles. What a genius animator can do is out of this world.

Is Kishi right?

Other urls found in this thread:

viz.com/blog/posts/togashi-x-kishimoto-discuss-worldbuilding
youtube.com/watch?v=5fPWMyxY-a4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Interview source

viz.com/blog/posts/togashi-x-kishimoto-discuss-worldbuilding

It depends.

Animators get paid by the frame. They churn out huge numbers of them by necessity.

However, an animator could not beat a still tableau draw by Miura. They'd just quickly knock out a QUALITY boat and move on to their next $.05 cents image, whereas he was able to take 8 months hand-drawing every single wooden plank to PERFECTION. I mean, if you want a FEELING of the Dragonslayer slicing the air, then an animator churning out a dozen images of its arc ripping through the air before ripping through apostle guts, then yeah, an animator beats Miura who just does a BIG SWING image + speedlines and everything around him is falling to chunks.

Inbetweeners get paid per drawing, key animators are paid per cut. Anyway, I think Kishi implies that animators have to work with harder perspectives and poses which makes the best of them having higher technical ability than the best manga artists.

Manga artists usually have better rendering ability, but it terms of understanding draftsmenship and human anatomy, animators are usually

Miura is pretty middling as far as manga artists go. His anatomy, perspective and overall sense of composition is mediocre. He just tries very hard, but he isn't particularly talented. Inoue, Samura, Yaz (an animator, even) are all better.

The best animators understand anatomy, perspective and movements in ways manga artists don't.

There's a reason he said a genius animator.

And there is no fucking way Miura can draw something like an animator does, it's completely different. You need to fill all the inbetweens of movement and you need to coordinate them well, give it a good sense of movement and use the right angles for it.

Mira draws static pics. Muratafags sucked the guy off but he tried to do anime and honestly it doesn't look good.

Yoshihiko Umakoshi is better than Miura at his own designs and is just a superior artist in every way.

That is true. His Berserk designs were perfect. Both the movies and the new anime are terrible by comparison.

My nigga

Animator sketches are interesting to look at.

Togashi Sensei: What makes each fun and interesting is different. If you try to express what makes a video game fun in a manga, you’ll fail. I love games too, so I understand the desire to make a manga based on a game…

>No guise he doesn't like DoraKue guise I SWEAR

He's not wrong but i've noticed a lot of animators don't tend to be that good at making comics either. The only one that i can think of that can pull off both is Imaishi.

Comic paneling is something that few animators would bother learning in the first place.

>Kishimoto Sensei: When I was in first grade, I drew a goldfish. I drew the folds in the goldfish’s tail as it moves. I thought that was normal, but a girl said it was really good. I still remember that.

>Togashi Sensei: You’re so good at that! Like the same level as Hayao Miyazaki drawing the folds in cloth!

Kishi>Miyazaki

Kishi may make trash but he seems like a really nice, humble dude.

Yasuhiko Yoshikazu

Yas was just a character designer though. At least I think he is. I don't remember him actually animating stuff.

Animators are usually what?

Animators can't draw backgrounds as well as mangaka can since they don't do background art.

Kubo

>kishi > miyazaki

But he just said that animators are more talented.

Yaz, a legendary animator, is an infinitely better artist than Miura.

He's also finished a manga and did it with out any assistants.

better.

He did animation on older shows like Combattler V and animation direction on his movies like Crusher Joe or Venus Wars.

youtube.com/watch?v=5fPWMyxY-a4

It's an unreasonable comparison. A manga artist is a director + scriptwriter + character designer + storyboarder all rolled up into one.

An animator only had to worry about their animation.

most mangaka let assistants draw their backgrounds

The Precure All Stars one still impresses me, damn.

>JUMP GIGA: You were able to draw three-dimensionally since grade school?

>Kishimoto Sensei: I don’t know about that… Maybe others would say that. Though I have a story about another artist, Ikemoto Sensei, who draws Boruto. When he was a kid, he couldn’t afford the Bikkuriman stickers, so he would draw his own. Then his friends would buy them from him. That’s when he started to think that his art had value. [laughs]

>Togashi Sensei: Oh! Mikio Ikemoto Sensei! He used to be your assistant?

>Kishimoto Sensei: Yes, he was.

>Togashi Sensei: Interesting. He’s really good.

>Kishimoto Sensei: Yeah, he seriously is.

>JUMP GIGA: You’ve worked with him a long time, right? I think I saw his name in volume 1.

>Kishimoto Sensei: Yes, for all 15 years.
B-b-b-but he drew my side-character titty waifu that appeared for 10 chapters in the original manga without her boobs!!!!!! He's shit!!!!!!!!!
-Sup Forums

>comparing apples and oranges

>B-b-b-but he drew my side-character titty waifu that appeared for 10 chapters in the original manga without her boobs!!!!!! He's shit!!!!!!!!!
Who is she?

People freaked out when he drew Hinata flat chested in a panel.

Ikemoto's art in the Boruto manga hasn't been particularly good. He did some cool anniversary art in the past though so he's clearly not all that bad at least.

Except he has good panel composition and his art is good too.

Retards think he's bad because his character designs are not the same as Kishimoto

I don't like how he draws eyes and has only one head shape for females. Other than that, I think he can draw some gritty-looking stuff like his GTA parody poster for one of the Naruto manga anniversaries.

I like those better than Kishi's designs.

Kishi's pretty good when he's not restrained by weekly though.

>GTA parody poster for one of the Naruto manga anniversaries
Can you post that?

Sorry, I don't have it.

If you ever see a great animator working, you will understand.

Man, these people are something else.

>don't do background art
But they do.
It's animator's job to draw the background layout.

Ghibli published a book of these drawings.

Wouldn't it be more productive if dedicated layout artists were hired? That way animators can focus on making animation.

>Wouldn't it be more productive if dedicated layout artists were hired?
Or maybe the best layout artists are animators?

>That way animators can focus on making animation
Animation planing and camera movement is a part of layout.

>Animation planing and camera movement is a part of layout.
Like in this webm.

>Manga artist vs animator
What kind of a pissing contest is this?

Often you will see different people as (specifically) background artists.

background art =/= layout
Background artists take the layouts that animator drew, tidy them up and paint them to make background art.

It's not even a pissing contest. It's just Kishi jerking off animators.

Why would it be?

>a manga
>a
Yas has finished like two dozen manga. In fact, it's kind of silly to bring him up since he's very experienced in both fields.

There is a reason Japanese people treat him like some sort of God, beyond being the other face of Gundam.

Yes, he's 100% right.

Sadamoto is pretty good.