What did you watch as a kid, but didn't realize it was actually anime until later?

What did you watch as a kid, but didn't realize it was actually anime until later?

Pic related for me, also german dub is a must for it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/u8tDbaKicSs
youtu.be/xGTzhqMVSyk?list=PL2729E7D863463484
youtube.com/watch?v=_BvJf0gDBf8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_Upon_a_Time..._Man
youtube.com/watch?v=dfnLa4B-Pbg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Mazinger Z

Dagger of Kamui, it was so long ago that VHS was still new.

My mother made me watch Heidi, Candy Candy and Remi with her

My dad med me watch Captain Tsubasa with him

I believe the first anime I ever saw was Gatchaman. Didn't realize it was animu until I was older

Eh, gramps would always point out which one was made by the Japs. And they looked really different from western stuff. Even when Tobikage and Speed Racer aired on CN, I could always tell they looked like Jap cartoons.

>Ghibli
>Moomin
>Pokemon/Digimon/whatnot
>FMA
>probably a lot more

Princess Apricot was my first anime waifu when I was like 6.

but then she died in the last episode

I genuinely had no idea pic related was anime until much later, probably because I watched it during the time when "animesque" western cartoons were just starting to show up.

There was a lot, but I didn't really know that Japanese animation was a own genre until I got older.

Kimagure Orange Road
Princess Knight
Moomin

These:
youtu.be/u8tDbaKicSs
I tried finding the one which had a monkey in a European forest, but I don't remember which one it was.

Maybe it was this? I'm not going to watch through it.
youtu.be/xGTzhqMVSyk?list=PL2729E7D863463484

I found it, in The White Browed Dog at 6:13.

That always cracks me up.

I didn't know CCS was Japanese. I don't know why I didn't realize it because it's pretty obvious.

Fight me, spanish one was the best

Speed Racer.

Always kinda knew.

Also, no, Heidi is best viewed in French.

There was also Calimero and Bob, der Flaschengeist (The Genie Family).
But now looking at them, they're pretty "japanese".

Same as you, and Wicki.

Calimero
Maya the Bee
Topo Gigio

youtube.com/watch?v=_BvJf0gDBf8

DBZ. I used to watch it when I was 9 or so. Never had a computer as a kid so i couldn't look it up or anything.

Never found out until my dad bought me a DBZ dvd. Then I started looking for dvds with similar looking characters, the funky hair and stern faces and such. Then I got into Yugioh which I found in a DVD section at HMV labeled Anime and Manga.

Maybe it's because British TV didn't have much anime broadcasted, but it took me a good 3 or 4 years to realize it was a whole new type of cartoon.

Is the live-action good, or is it like any other anime-to-live action-adaption?

I had the opposite happen to me.
I was so convinced that pic related was another Japanese co-production, it actually surprised me that it was a strictly French production.

Doremi and doraemon. Always knew because hong kong is fucking weeb

moomin
maya the bee

I think that one's a multinational production actually.

Basically 80% of what I watched was anime (helps the fact Italy used to go dokidoki towards Japan) and I tended to like anime over cartoons even though I had no idea what the fuck Japan was.

The most woorying part though is that I also preferred anime with lolis on them, I was a lost case since I was a kid.

dragon ball honestly

our tv must have bought it from the french, since it was dubbed so, and then they laid an overlying audio track in my language, but you could still hear french in background

for the longest time i thought it was a french cartoon

I only watched the first movie, it was quite funny. I liked it.

I actually really like how close the actors look to the source material, but it's a modern German movie, and those didn't have a good track-record with me lately.
But I'm gonna give it a chance.
There's more than one movie?

>spoiler
I don't know, I just assumed since all semi popular shit gets multiple movies.

I think it's French--Japanese. They also had that History thing.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_Upon_a_Time..._Man

Heidi (Portuguese dub), Maya, Tom Sawyer, Captain Tsubasa (called 'Oliver and Benji' here), Dogtanian, Once Upon a Time... (Life; Earth; the Human Body; Space), Wicki, Willy Fog...

Probably a few more but I don't remember right now.

Heidi was definitely my favorite though; I watched it so often that I pretty much ruined the VHS tapes.

Anime 80-nichikan Sekai Isshuu

Oh, almost forgot this one. Thanks.

I just suddenly realized this is a subtle recommendation thread.

Moomin and alfred j. Kwak

Astro Boy

"La niƱa con el perro que vuela"
Yeah, pretty much.

Transformers Armada

youtube.com/watch?v=dfnLa4B-Pbg
>toccata and fugue in d minor
>abridged history of the universe, earth and mankind
>ends with Earth exploding as people attempt to flee
That was some hardcore shit. Most memorable OP of my childhood.

Porco Rosso