How can fansubbing be brought back to life?

How can fansubbing be brought back to life?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EHbDD23Arhk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

A complete collapse of the commercial anime translation industry.

Download them.

Why would you ever want it brought back?

blow up funimation

Focus on a different country of origin. There's too much infrastructure to bring over Japanese stuff now. If everyone started watching French, Korean or Chinese cartoons instead, fansubbing would return. At least until the industry notices the interest.

Fansubbing was always shit.

The only thing I miss is better quality video.

It takes long enough for manga to be translated. If anything fansubbing needs to die even more so that manga can be brought over more expediently.

Though local places do a pretty shit job of it as is, so I'm not sure how much I actually want that. They butcher the translations by adding their own accents to the characters, as well as memes. They also still take for-fucking-ever to get shit over.

Subbing untranslated anime like Anime Mirai 2016?

It was never shit relative to official releases. In the vhs era you delt with inferior picture quality and were rewarded with a complete lack of censorship and waiting 4 years for the licensed garbage to even deign to update.

The fansub scene is alive, it is just that everyone speaks spanish now.

Do they do their own translations from Japanese or do they just translate English Crunchyroll subs?

>If anything fansubbing needs to die even more so that manga can be brought over more expediently
How would that even make a difference? You just dump a handful more translators into the pool.

We need to encourage people to troll others with fake subs.

Good fansubbing was always on par or above professional work. And then all the good ones became professional.

If they're anything like the French subbing/scanlating teams (which are systematically awful and should burn in hell), they're translating from English.

Scanlating exists because of the deficiencies of the market. ie. the English-speaking market is a fucking joke and that's the reason why the scanlating scene is great. Cut down on the scanlating without backing it up with market, and you'll just kill the hobby altogether.

>If they're anything like the French subbing/scanlating teams (which are systematically awful and should burn in hell), they're translating from English.
Why is it that frogs do all this JP->Eng->Fr shit, but none of them scan their own language's official manga releases? I mean, there's plenty of English-language official releases that don't get scanned, but for French stuff it seems like almost none of it does.

>Why is it that frogs do all this JP->Eng->Fr shit
Nobody here speaks Japanese, which is impressive considering we probably have the highest concentration of weebs anywhere. So people fallback on English, which they speak poorly anyway. And their French itself is lacking.
So we get Jap->Half understood Eng->Pisspoor French.

>but none of them scan their own language's official manga releases?
>Us
>Working
Kek. More seriously, the culture of buying manga's just more prevalent, and public libraries are often able to fill in the gaps.
Add to that that the manga market being well developed, the scanlating scene is nonexistent (no subculture group to do the job) and the amount of releases is insurmountable. In the end people can't be arsed.
On the other hand, we used to have a fairly substantial fansubbing scene when the market wasn't there yet.

>everyone started watching Chinese cartoons
But we do, user.

It will return when crunchyroll goes bankrupt, or when they figure out how to prevent downloading of their streams.

How it hasn't happened already is beyond me.

That won't really kill it because people who don't know Japanese but can time the subs can just watch and copy down their subs then change it a bit, which is pretty much what already happens. It'll just take longer.

The demand for scanlation is greater than ever due to webtoons and all the Japanese webmanga sites that have cropped up in tye last few years. Gangan online, shounen jump plus, urasunday, comico, Polaris, comic clear, mincomi etc.

This screen cap was made for this thread

But then it's more or less fansubs. That's basically what all the groups did before they died out a few years ago. Only reason I downloaded fansubs instead of horriblesubs was because of the quality of the video and audio. Afaik it's the people from those fansubs that sub professionally now.

Just face it, fansubs were dead for years.

One thing i really miss is the god tier typsetting we get in some OP's or during dialogue.

One piece was amazing with that, having a special typsetting and animation for each character calling out their attacks

I mean, look at this shit

youtube.com/watch?v=EHbDD23Arhk

>they didn't translate the time

pretty sure some fansubs got released today so

Fansubbing died in like 2009, I thought we agreed on this.

Why do we need it to? We have via official channels what fansubbing set out to achieve; timely translations of most current anime, uncensored (or at least, no more censored than the Japanese broadcast), with a reasonable quality of translation. If you've got some kind of hardon for the idea of translation being done unofficially, champion the cause of fansubbing older titles that both official channels and the fansubbers of years gone by overlooked.

>when they figure out how to prevent downloading of their streams
Just not technically feasible. If it's possible to watch or listen to something, it's possible to record it, one way or another.

I was into anime in 2011 and I remember fansubs being important. Even for The Eotena Onslaught, which aired in 2013, there were many different fansubs. Maybe it was very dying by this point, but it was still common and important in 2011, at least. And there was that Joshiraku drama.
It may have happened gradually, and maybe it was smaller in 2011 than in the golden age, it probably was, but there was still many different groups and choices for most shows.

Wait just a damn minute.

There's way more than eight swords in that picture.

>The Eotena Onslaught

Lul

Now I can enjoy anime while prepping for trivia contests.

kek

They can stay dead for all i care, streaming services raised the bar too high for all those shitty groups of weebs, and now they get their shit called for their half-assed translations and awful schedules, and nobody lick their asses anymore.
I'm honestly happy that we don't have to rely on them anymore.

They should just move on. Scanlate manga if they want to stay in the game.

>Chihiro
>for a popular show with several good groups covering it when it aired
This is cheating.

Agreed. There were a few fansubbers who did good work for the genuine love of it, but most churned out shit translations of shows they didn't necessarily even like purely to stroke their egos.

It's the age of the "pay nothing = get nothing" there's no fansubers working for the greater good anymore. At least the true fansubers gave us EVA, FLCL, Gundam Seed and other classics at the time.

Commercial subs are usually good enough and they are fast.
Instead now we need LN translators and manga scanlators are also in demand as they always were.

Only the first episode of FLCL was fansubbed. The rest had English subtitles on the Japanese DVD.

I wish there were downloadable tape fansubs. If I were super rich I'd travel around collecting fansub tapes, scan them and upload them in HD, try to get the history of each individual tape too, what generation copy, who subbed it, previous owners... Someone should do it before they are all destroyed. This is valueable culture.

Is there even another country with an entertainment industry that has good content that has never been exported internationally?
Or are America, England, France, Korea and Japan the only ones capable of making good media?

>joke sub is the only sub

lots of spanish speaking weebs and japanese immigrants in south america, I wouldn't be surprised if they work from the japanese

Early digital distribution of fansubbed anime was just captures of VHS fansubs. Also, not much point of doing HD captures of SD material that's already considerably lower picture quality than DVD. It's also questionable just how valuable most fansub translations actually are.

Instead of doing seasonal shit for the donations and epeen, do unsubbed older anime for maybe less or no donations and forever be appreciated (if you're competent).

sauce?

For animation? No idea. There is some for many countries, but I doubt there's enough to be worth learning a language for.
I wonder if perhaps Russia? I think they used to have an animation industry at least for the mid 1900s. Don't know how much they produced, or if they still make anything, but may be some hidden masterpieces there?

When it's from mant times copied tapes there are many irregularities that makes each tape unique. You need to capture the blurryness. Or of it's filmes off screen, you REALLY need the HD to capture the full experience. It's not just about the anime, it's about the history hidden in the tapes. Each tape is unique, and all the uniqueness needs to be copied which can only be done in HD.

Russia has had some really neat animation stuff back in the 50s, one of which supposedly inspired Miyazaki to stay in the anime industry.

>your favorite anime is ruined by rainbow-colored hard subs
>no one will ever go back and do proper soft subs for it

Just another reason for me to never watch it ever again so as not to taint my fond memories of it.

Also fuck you Commie, just die already.

>When it's from mant times copied tapes there are many irregularities that makes each tape unique. You need to capture the blurryness. Or of it's filmes off screen, you REALLY need the HD to capture the full experience. It's not just about the anime, it's about the history hidden in the tapes. Each tape is unique, and all the uniqueness needs to be copied which can only be done in HD.
Feel free to collect that if you like, but I'd honestly be surprised if there was more than two people in the world who actually care that much about collecting specific VHS generational copy degradation.

They work from the Japanese, back when we were waiting for jinsei the Spanish subs continued to come out while we waited months for anonymous to finish up for FFF.

I miss when less then half the series that aired didn't get sub, and waiting months for a single episode to get subbed, and would suspend opperations until donations came in and when they would disband, leaving series unfinished.

why even bother putting subs in the first place if you arent gonna translate them

Days of TLs and decorative non readable fonts for subs. Fuck no. If you can't understand more than half of the dialogue by now and still rely on the subs, then you're better off watching the awful dubbs.

unnecessary translation notes are always annoying.

I don't give a fuck who provides the subs, they are all shit.
as long as they are 90% true and not memesubs, it ok.

I miss when anons could write in proper English. Seriously, nigger, take a class or something.

See, this is an example of a tl note that I might appreciate if I encountered it in the wild - I don't know shit about baseball, so even if I understood that "grand slam" was a baseball term, unless they showed exactly what it was a moment before I wouldn't understand what it meant.

On the other hand, I know little about baseball and care even less, and my enjoyment of the episode probably wouldn't be increased any by knowing what this thing they think was amazing actually is. In any case, in that example, you could probably work it out from context without the note.

From context, you can tell that person did something impressive in the game. If you wanted to know more, look it up online.

I remember being pissed off with all the TL notes by whatever group did Akagi for the same reason.

These are my favorite ones. Not where the translator fucked up the Nip but where they out themselves as ignorant weebs.

The best part about it is because the text coming from the right is actually talking about the illegality of downloading episodes from the internet.

Yeah, funny how fansubbers never translated that text...

What's wrong? I don't know Japanese, can you explain?

No Japanese knowledge involved; that flower is Leontopodium alpinum, more commonly known as edelweiss.

It's about independant animation now.

Anyone ever get a fandubbed anime?
ysed to get all my anime at the flea market every sunday this guy would have stacks of VHS's and DVDs, most were old fandubs/subs

thinking of it now nearly every fandub I remember was godawful but I miss them now.