Ravages of Time v34

Volume 34 released now (replacing a 7 year old version).

Posting a few highlights from the volume to gauge if anyone cares about this chinese cartoon.

Other urls found in this thread:

mongolianscroll.wordpress.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Gorgeous. Will you be uploading it somewhere?

potato, goddess and reporting on mu.

also here:
mega/#!FxlEnKhC!68NdaBajlnYrdfKl24JhxlhcZ_2G5LygmioG3hKnGRc
mf.com/download/yyvitg2dey9b35i/The_Ravages_of_Time_v34%5Bvestige%5D.zip

Thank you I really loved this arc. After being all serious and shit about strategy and tactics two grave diggers just go Dynasty Warriors on the new challengers.

Indeed, every once in a while you just want Huo to trash shit.

To lighten up the mood and all.

One more page and I have advertised the volume enough.

Next volume will be volume 1 (and then 2-4), using deluxe volumes (they are little bit bigger than the original volumes, and the paper might be better).

Just wondering for the black pages are they actually different text from the original? Assuming the volumes you're covering has black pages for the ones you're replacing.

I remember people saying the novel guy was doing the black pages for the new volumes and someone didn't like it.

I can't check it atm.
However for volume 2 I bought both the ordinary and deluxe version, so I can compare them another day.

Merc states on his site that 'the text have been updated by Wang Yi Xing', but yea I'll get back another time with my findings when comparing the volumes.

Since I can't answer your questions, have some teasers from volume 1 deluxe.

(I've only scanned a few pages right now, so don't have any black pages to compare)

Thank you, I look forward to seeing the comparisons myself and sharing everyone's thoughts on it.

Is this from volume 1? I don't even recognize the guy on the left is he Lu Bu? Which scene is this from?

The three pages I posted are located before the first chapter in the first volume.

At least deluxe volume 1 and 3 have some extra color pages in the beginning (volume 2 however only had the ordinary covers there).

I'm pretty sure the first one portraits Huo and Lu Bu His face were hidden in the beginning, so it was unclear who he was.

Yeah I assumed it was Lu Bu since he had a few scenes with that look, but I don't remember any time they were both on horseback among soldiers.

>I don't remember any time they were both on horseback among soldiers
Now that I think about it, neither do I.
Maybe he just added soldiers around them on that illustration to make it more dramatic.

Maybe so, it's amazing looking anyways so I ain't complaining. I just wanna know what it's about and hope it's not something completely random and has nothing to do with the actual story.

Are these deluxe volumes basically better scans and typesetting using the old translations?

I saw a few differences.

Look at that cute horse with its tiny legs.

The author is republishing the story from the beginning with 'deluxe editions'.
Each deluxe volume contains 2 ordinary volumes.

The deluxe volumes are slightly bigger than the
ordinary versions and, in my opinion, seem to be printed on better paper.

That's a pretty big size increase.

Still eons ahead of fugly Kingdom horses

Sorry for the angle. The difference in height is around 7% (~17cm vs ~18.2).

Anyway, any future releases will use the deluxe edition. All in all they seem worth it.

Mondo cool, user

Makes you wonder if horses back then in China really did have small legs.

Strangely enough Sangokushi have 'normal' horses.
(Well, maybe the horse on this cover looks a tad... Chen Mou-ish...)

Nah.

What, just like Chinese women, they were wearing tiny bòots?

If you compare them though, it's more like the horses in Kingdom and Ravages are fat, the legs aren't actually tiny. The horses in are a good example where they are much more lean.

You may laugh now,
but those boots have given me these delicate and graceful hooves that any mare would envy.

It's amazing how it managed to survive and serve as Guan Yu's steed for awhile before kicking the bucket.

I've heard there are differences between the Taiwanese and HK ones.

Anyhow, why are these versions never coming out officially in English.

This story is far too good.

Chinese horses were small and not very good. Its why they traded with steppe people.

Has Hefei happened? I want more Zhang Liao

The only difference that I am aware of is that the HK ones are supposed to be somewhat censored (think white blur if there is excessive blood).

So... what are your favorite characters?
Huo is clearly the man for me.

Not yet I believe? We're still in the Huang Zhong shitting all over Guan Yu's army part.

Way too many to count.

Gao Shun, no contest. The manhua has lots of emotional deaths, but his death scene was the only one to made me burst out into tears. Fuck that piece of shit Cao Chun.

Manga alone took pretty damn long to get this far in English speaking countries. Literal chinese comics are obviously going to be ages away from having people giving a shit enough to bring it in officially.

It wouldn't even work being localized the way localization works currently. It's on a whole different magnitude of how entrenched it is in culture, wordplay, and poetics.

That's not really an issue. Manga set in ye old Japan manages to get translated. Blade of the Immortal's official releases were pretty comprehensive with TL notes on culture, terms etc. It just wouldn't work because there isn't enough demand for it.

>potato
excuse me, I and not familiar with this potato of which you speak of

TL notes it might be possible but I doubt they have translators that capable for Chinese -> English due to the lack of demand as you said.

BotI also wasn't as crammed with that stuff as Ravages. I mean come on, Ravages even has those silly black pages that almost always has to do with historical lines, which manga has 400+ chapters of that?

It just seems rather costly from a company's perspective. No one's even bothered to pick up Youjo Senki yet, would they really dare to pick up Ravages?

Don't know how many of you will care but the first chapter of The Smiling Proud Wanderer just got translated.

mongolianscroll.wordpress.com/

Is it related to Ravages? What's it about?

No. It's wuxia, chinese comics about hot blooded swordsmen and stuff. The artist did some RotK side stories too, though it doesn't seem like they're translated.

Nice, hope the translations continue for at least a volume so I can binge it. It's such a downer to read like 1-3 chapters then realize translations stopped or the project got dropped.