Eyeshield 21

Is this the most perfect manga yet? I mean it has everything.

>MC not the main focus and not the one who solves everything
>character progression. ACTUAL ones
>each character is a person, not one dimensional cardboard
>cute girls (all managers are top tiers, Bando's my fav though)
>men doing men things
>drama
>comedy
>romance not eclipsing everything
>good amount of SoL and fun interactions
>those arts (based Murata)

The biggest problem is the depictions of middle schoolers and high schoolers are pretty much full grown adults. Other than that it was amazing.

Also posting my favorite cover.

Tbh kinda disappointed in OPM since the only reason I picked it up was because Murata is drawing it.

Other urls found in this thread:

noise-tanker.tumblr.com/post/118888462248/hey-guys-heres-the-complete-hot-fun-in-the
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2299969/The-moment-high-school-football-player-bench-pressed-700-pounds--just-pounds-NFL-record.html
youtube.com/watch?v=-DEOsJup1bw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

"The most perfect manga" is a dumb statement.

Buy aside from that, yeah, I do think that ES21 is amongst the best sports manga ever made.

Also, seeing Murata refine and eventually perfect his art throughout the series is super fun.

Honestly, after the Dinosaurs match, I felt the story/tension just went out of the window.
It was still fun to read, but I was nowhere near as invested.

Still great overall

Is this the only recent sports manga that doesn't get completely taken over by fujoshi? I mean, it had a fujoshi fanbase but the fanbase was 60% male and the manga never felt like it stopped being a shounen.

Despite the Fujo audience, shit like Haikyuu and Yowapedal never really stopped being a sport shonen though, unlike KnB. Baby steps and Diamond no Ace is still played straight too I think. Granted, the latter 2 doesn't have as big a fujo following as the former.

Baby Steps really doesn't have a big fujo following.

I just want a new anime of this covering all of the manga really.

Mfw:

HUDDLE UP!
U
D
D
L
E
U
P
!

KILLER HORNET!

I think the biggest issue was right after the Christmas Bowl was over. That last arc was pretty unnecessary. But everything else was great. The wins and losses were all believable enough, and it actually felt like they had to work at it to get where they wanted. The time stop wizard was fucking great.

If anything it's so good that it's a great read for people who don't care nor like sports manga.

Christmas bowl is fucking shit and world arc is missing the point entirely though.

Why the hate for Christmas Bowl? If anything it was necessary in order to further cement the fact that Sena is worthy of the title he carried throughout the series. ES 21 was meant to be the fastest, not the most balanced nor powerful and him showing that to Yamato was epic as hell.

well it might have been had the xmas bowl finals not been kind of shit and if the international allstars tournament wasn't ridiculous and dumb.

biggest issue was that every other villain team both were better villains than the alexanders and also were better fleshed out when redeemed afterwards than the alexanders. The whole team just felt like cardboard cutouts, which was a massive let down when you look back on nearly every other team and their highlight moments. The alexanders wound up more on par with the cupids, or the scorpions than the white knights or the dinosaurs in terms of impact.

ES21, Slam Dunk and Teppu are the only sports manga I could stomach.

Was told to read Haikyu but its shit.

I just find the Alexanders boring. They're on the same tier as Madara.

>Why the hate for Christmas Bowl?
Pretty much everything is done wrong, the art is the weakest of the manga, the whole match is unexciting, the TA are boring fucks.

Is there any reason at all to read Haikyuu if you aren't fujoshi

>never really stopped being a sport shonen though, unlike KnB
Hour did KnB stop being about basketball? I enjoyed it pretty much all the way through

I still think the idea to make Eyeshield 21 a real thing instead of bullshit Hiruma made up was the worst decision ever. Continuing past the Christmas Bowl and effectively scrapping half the regular cast was the other worst decision.

I like Adachi's stuff, Cross Game in particular.

Seconded.

>
the pacing is crazy rushed after the Xmas bowl, but one of my all time faves, actually i collected it way back in middle school, and then kind of forgot about it, but i just went back and bought the last 12 issues, it was hard not to cry, just a lot of memories of the series

Up to that point every enemy they faced had some solid build up, and the dinosaurs where crazy effective because they were legitimately a dark horse, but the allexanders, who i remind you won EVERY FUCKING CHRISTMAS BOWL EVER, was only mentioned once up untill they were introduced like 10 chapters before the Christmas bowl, no build up nothing, and for the entire fucking tournament everyone was so up each others butt about being informed and knowing the enemy it seemed like ridiculous that no one would talk about, or EVEN ALLUDE, that there was an unbeatable enemy out there
and the fucking game was just shinryuji minus the most menacing fucking psychopath in the series

this

>sports manga

It's shit.

I agree wholeheartedly

>unlike KnB.
KnB is shit writing, but c'mon, is a sport shonen just like Haikyuu. the fujo is just a consequence.

White Knights should be from Kansai so Alexanders wouldn't have to exist desu. Besides, the whole "Real ES21" shit has been solved in the match against Spiders.

They totally fucked

it was the last match where i gave a fuck about the real es21

While it would be funny to have the refined, princely team sound like a bunch of hicks, I don't think the 11s would have gone for it. Besides, Shin and Sakuraba were way too involved in the story to be in a different district. Also, I hated the entire idea of there being a "real" Eyeshield 21, it was contrived and stupid.

>ES21
>sports manga
Ano, it's shounen battle disguised as sport manga

So like most sports manga out there?

no

I hate how pointless the World Championship arc was. No one actually won, it was just a showoff of abilities with no stakes whatsoever. Sure the experienxed Panther vs experienced Sena thing was something a lot of fans were waiting but it's just not good enough to cover the whole mess.

Funny, when I read most most Shonen sports manga they have almost identical plot beats as a battle manga. Maybe if you jump into a more seinen sports manga it loses those qualities but Eyeshield was pretty bog standard in many respects to other Shonen Sports series of the time.

True, but if you think about it, you can't just turn American Football into an exciting manga for teens.

It's one of the most boring modern sport I've ever seen.

It even has something for cucks since the MC is one.

>you only have one chance to advance
>just kidding there's another way

Perfect: No
Second greatest shonen sports manga one place below Slam Dunk: Yes

When the Gash Bell storytime is over, I want a Eyeshield 21 storytime from the very beginner.

and Mamori was the one who surprisingly dominated Himura every night.

Another big problem with the World Tournament arc was that it was just the "Agon, Gaoh and Panther fuck everyone's shit up show guest starring the Devil Bat Japan All-Stars and also this middle schooler nobody gives a shit about".

Slam Dunk is better.

ITT: Who have not read REAL, the best sports manga ever.

That in my opinion was the worst decision made in the manga, making Eyeshield 21 a real person that Sena was impersonating.

That's when his character development went from "I will make the Eyeshield 21 legend real" to "Will I ever be as good and legendary as the totally real Eyeshield 21?"

Baseball is more boring and so is golf. Football is more exciting than handegg by a bit but is still only fun when you are playing it.
For me basketball and boxing are very exciting.

It wouldn't have been quite so bad if it had become one of his main driving motivations, but I always hate when writers turn a joke into something more serious.

I think the manga was supposed to end right after Christmas Bowl. I mean, the whole arc lasted 33 chapters for chrissakes.

Multiple matches last longer than that.

>I think the manga was supposed to end right after the overall goal of the series is achieved
No shit.

YAAAAA
HAAAAA!

The Nagas/Spiders/Gunmen are still the best opposing teams, sorry.

>Nagas
Just a giant cluster of assholes
>Spiders
Loud faggot and edgy faggot with stupid goddamn character-ruining revelation, wowzers
>Gunmen
Agreed, best overall chemistry with the Devil Bats

If you don't like the Devil Bats vs Nagas arc, I don't like you.

You have great taste, OP.

This manga was so fucking hype. Time to reread it

Dinosaurs all the way

Gaou was a bit too hamfisted, but Marco was such a great "villain". Not to mention the whole mirror element between the Devil Bats and the Dinosaurs. Just can't stop rereading this part.

Then again, every enemy before them was pretty cool as well. Really strong at characterization.

Yeah, Marco is great. The only reason I don't like the Dinosaurs comparatively to the other teams is that Gaou is just a stupid character.

>Nerd who shouldn't even be on the team is the first one to have a touchdown against the Nagas
Just remembering makes me hyped

>muh powerlevel shounen
Naruto thread?

The match was a good one, but the characters irritated the shit out of me. Agon's villainy was laughable, Unsui was a pushover bitch, and that little Vegeta looking midget was the worst of the bunch.

I agree, Gaou aside the Dinosaur match was a blast. He gave Hiruma that really rad comeback though, so he served his purpose.

Is anyone from /fit/ here? Is 200kg bench press even possible for a high schooler?

It's not powerlevels, he was just not fit enough to be on the team until that point.

So you like Eyeshield 21, a manga that wasn't written by Murata, and then you were disappointed in OPM, a manga also now written by Murata?

Do you have a problem where you mix up art with writing?

This was my sister's favorite sport manga. She loved the Hiruma/Mamori ship.

>>cute girls (all managers are top tiers, Bando's my fav though)
True but Bando's is not best.
Hakushu Dinosaurs' is best.

She has good taste.

So how many people on Sup Forums that the whole "who wins the ----bowl" shipping wars shit originated from this manga? And this it wasn't for the shipping war, but literally everyone wondering who was going to win the "Christmas Bowl" tournament?

>Manga = Great
>Anime = Bretty gud. Nice OPs

Could you ask more of a series than that. I'm not even very knowledgeable of gridiron football but really liked this series.

OP3 best OP.

I thought it came from Sup Forums's SUPERB OWL shit.

I actually really hated the anime.

My friend was 6'4", 320lb ish OL/DT in high school. He used to max out at 3 plates each side with smaller weights added on. Added up to about 350lbs mores or less for his max.

Lifting more than that at that age seems impossible due to your developing bone structure, and moreso if you're not taking steroids or other drugs to help you recover.

are you retarded?

I mean, it is POSSIBLE. The record for a high schooler is 700 lbs (400+ kg or about 3 and half plates). Before that, the record was 500+ lbs (225kg or about 2 and half plates).

But, of course, it's with that ridiculous super high arched, manlet armed, barrel chested, compression bench shirted, 6 inches of movement 1 rep max bullshit type of press.

>Anime = Bretty gud

Fuck no.

nah the "who is going to win the " " bowl " shit started when we were having akame ga kill threads and it was near the superbowl (i can't remember if it was 1 or 2 years ago) and the "who is going to win the tatsumibowl?" shit started.

Eyeshield 21 has Suzuna, so it's automatically great.

Well, you're not wrong

based agon

The meme mighta gotten popular (for you) around that time, but this bowl shit came out like a decade ago, man. Thing is, "memes" a decade ago didn't amount to spamming every forum every hour daily with it. Unless it was ORLY or fgfds

>The next arc's quarterback is a fucking joke character
Why is Alexanders so bad?

It's either bait or a retard who shouldn't be here, just ignore him and hopefully he'll go away.

It's a perfect example of a manga worth reading for the sake of just one character. Hiruma is the right combination of cunning, compelling, impredictable, hammy and funny.

The comedy is really well done all around for that matter.

>when Shin isn't Sena's imagination and is actually behind the window

Fuck me that was clever. Still makes me laugh just thinking about it.

Who Sena/Suzuna here?

>being a cunt is the same as being based

ok kid

Good taste. Still mad they weren't confirmed in the end.

Yeah, but at least we'll always have doujin and fanart.

Ending of the anime implied it actually.

I like to pretend that the Eyeshield 21 anime never existed.

Suck my cock fag.

Same, it's shit compared to the manga, but that's just because the manga is really good.

It wasn't very good, I agree. It had a couple of good moments though.

user plz

source?

noise-tanker.tumblr.com/post/118888462248/hey-guys-heres-the-complete-hot-fun-in-the

You're welcome.

>them shit tier mid 2000's tier scans
MY EYES

I wanna fuck this semen demon

they're really cute

>700 lbs bench press
Nigga are you high?
Also 400kg is not 3.5pl8 man, 3.5pl8 is 160kg/like 400lbs.

It was still implied at least.

A-HA-HA

HA?! HAA?! HAAAAAAAAA???!!!

YAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

YAAAA

*UMNF (SUBS: POWERFUL LANGUAGE)*

No, not high
>High school kid
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2299969/The-moment-high-school-football-player-bench-pressed-700-pounds--just-pounds-NFL-record.html

>world record
youtube.com/watch?v=-DEOsJup1bw

And, as I said, they both did it the fucking bullshit way.

Also, I meant 300+kg but the "3" key and the "4"key are just so close together!