How much value do you put into visual direction?

How much value do you put into visual direction?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Gf1PtgIds4I
twolongfourtwitlonger.wordpress.com/2014/12/21/hxh-99-hxh-2011-btw/
boards.fireden.net/a/search/text/How much value do you put into visual direction/type/op/
youtube.com/watch?v=f8M5NIB6KXw
youtube.com/watch?v=sQRIvyuij6g
archived.moe/a/thread/146535784/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>there are people who genuinely prefer the newer version of HxH

A lot, that's why '11 was shit.

Right genuinely looks better and less cluttered.

I miss anime made with paper instead of Adobe Flash, you can feel the details and the depth.

I was always told to avoid the old version of hxH

Jesus Christ why? It looks really good

kys 2011 is better in virtually all aspects in comparison to original

Making these false flagging threads should be a bannable offense.

Why do the hands swap in both?

Paper was also responsible for things like youtube.com/watch?v=Gf1PtgIds4I

Mekaku was such a mess

>Making these threads should be a bannable offense.
FTFY

You can make any shitty anime look good with a few cherry picked shots and call it "brilliant visual direction."

Left looks much more detailed and interesting

None. I'm blind.

What do you think Oishi will work on once Kizu is done?

twolongfourtwitlonger.wordpress.com/2014/12/21/hxh-99-hxh-2011-btw/

A lot of the "texture" is from the film.

the visual not so much but the OST is the most valuable for me.

the OSTs in hxh were just perfect

Most animators still draw on paper though.
What you mean are cels.

Hopefully he leaves that garbage studio and takes Shinbo and Takeuchi with him

I hope you weren't listening to Sup Forums
Dear God, why would you ever listen to Sup Forums

Please, stop.

boards.fireden.net/a/search/text/How much value do you put into visual direction/type/op/

Can mods start deleting these threads at once?

>MD Geist
lel

Save for a few scenes like the one in the OP, it's a pretty subpar adaptation, especially since it completely butchered the manga; it's really nowhere near as consistent as the 2011 version

>discussion threads should be deleted

There's definitely something wrong Killua's face in the 1999 version.

>discussion
It's KyoAnifag wankfests and bait threads

Fucking this. People prefer the 1999 version usually out of nostalgia or because they like grimdark shit.

Found the buttblasted SHARTurd

oh thanks anons

Found the KyoAnifag

well meme'd

Yeah man, Hanayamata is what digital coloring in animation SHOULD look like.

Here we go again

Don't just believe some random guys on Sup Forums. Form your own opinion.

Hanayamata is not what digital anime should look like, it's just ishizuka being ishizuka. and that brownish blurry linework that turns the whole shape into a lifeless pastiche is definitely not what animation should aspire to be.

>I don't like things that are different.
Goodbye, I will not reply to you again.

>There are people who are overly nostalgic over a version which had lots of filler, some of which was horrible

They both have their good points. Both are definitely above average. If you hate either, you are retarded.

>i don't know what i'm talking about
sure

It's certainly a lot more important than forced animation

Is it an age thing?

1999 is so much superior. How can you argue otherwise?

SHAFT is too god.

What's even going on in the pic?

I never read the series.

Why did you pick all the boring shots?

Yeah most people that prefer the 1999 version nitpick the same exact scenes every single time and a majority of the scenes come from the first arc. Most people can agree that the 2011 version of first arc + the first episode (for skipping kite) was a trainwreck

But other than that, the only legitimate complaint is that the OST utilized terribly. They use their better track not enough, and too many of the tracks are played way too often. Someone will cough the puppeteer starts playing.

I actually kind of liked a bit of the filler as someone who switched from the 1999 version to 2011. Made you grow more attached to the characters (Ponzu and Pokkle) who didn't get that much development which made what happened in the chimera ant arc all the much worse.

so what's next for Oishi after he's done with Kizu

Nen stuff?
I dunno, the series is stupid.

Why is Hanekawa so disgusting

>especially since it completely butchered the manga
>2011 fags can say this after the shit they pulled in the Killua Rescue arc and FUCKING SKIPPING KITE

7 YEARS HAND DRAWING

>1999 is so much superior. How can you argue otherwise?
By cherrypicking, just like OP
youtube.com/watch?v=f8M5NIB6KXw
youtube.com/watch?v=sQRIvyuij6g

No amount of budget or animation quality will make Hanekawa cute.

Wtf is happening here

archived.moe/a/thread/146535784/

SHAFT = GOD

Your mom is boring.

Wasn't the greed island ova done by entirely different staff from the 1999 series adaptation?

He's right though.

>11 posters

>>there are people who genuinely prefer the newer version of HxH
I prefer the newer version because the characters stayed true to ther manga selves -especially Gon- instead of the story turning into a Kurapika fanfiction because the director wanted to bone her

Maybe he'll take over on Monogatari?

Despera

This and the escalator shot (and maybe some dying kisshot shots) is the only good one in that movie.

Worst girl

The blush is real.
I don't really mind it.

Are you STILL doing this?

Based SHAFT blowing eveyone the fuck out.

I'm not fond of Ishizuka's tendency to use purple lighting and bloom. Her upcoming show also has weird colours.

What's with all that fucking bloom?

None. I'm blind.

I depend on it alot to get to where I need to go. I can't imagine how blind people go without it.

I feel sorry for the people that sat through the entirety of Mekaku City Actors.

Just because it has a wacky face doesn't mean it's good, shaft shitter.

Yes.

It doesn't have a wacky face.

It's still shit.

Why?

Shaft has some REALLY bad directors

Because the flat lighting of her face does not fit at all, she looks like a sticker, she looks like she's closer to the camera than him. That, plus the whole framing of the shot is bad. Hanekawa cuts right at the neck, making her look like a floating head, and Araragi cuts right at the middle of the face, and right at the middle of the chest, which gives him no presence, it looks like he's an irrelevant character walking by that you're not even supposed to acknowledge.

For me it goes

1. Animation quality
2. Art Direction/Character Design
3. Plot
4. Music
5. Fanservice/PLOT

I digress.

1. Characterization
2. Art Direction/Character Design
3. Plot
4. Animation Quality
5. Music

1. Atmosphere (animation quality and music/sound play into this)
2. Characterization
3. Character designs
4. Plot
5. Character development

I agree with this to an extent. E.G. I'll never watch K-on, despite it looking good in motion, because the girls look like aliens, but I watched all of Punch Line because the 3D backgrounds were really good looking.

I've tried making rankings like this before, but I just can't do it. I tend to like shows based on what they're good at, rather than some kind of weighed average of everything. Some shows I like just because the animation and style are great, and others I like mostly because of the plot. Etc. etc.

Literally a pleb.

If I wanted a good story I'd read a book, m8.

If I wanted good animation I'd watch western cartoons.

You mean American. And even then, most of those are animated like shit outside of theatrical cartoons.

Can't believe we're talking about visual direction and nobody's mentioned Rie Matsumoto yet. Kyousogiga and Kekkai Sensen are masterpieces of it.

Too bad there's barely any good animation in modern 2D cartoons.

>muh comfy garbage

Please do read one and educate yourself.

1. Music/Atmosphere
2. Characterization
3. Plot
4. Animation quality

I don't think she's fit for directing series. Also, I see her as a poorer Sayo Yamamoto, she doesn't have a very strong visual indentity.

Animation quality can play into atmosphere. You can't have a serious tone if the animation is laughably bad, it's immersion breaking.

>You can't have a serious tone if the animation is laughably bad, it's immersion breaking.
This is the problem I had with Aria. The animation wasn't bad, but very dated compared to modern SoLs and I found it hard to feel immersed.
I haven't made it to Origination yet though

Not him, but I partially agree.
Atmosphere is basically a "byproduct" of all the other elements (animation, sound, music, characters behavior, world construction, general direction, etc) combined. If one of these elements is weak, the final atmosphere will be weaker, but it doesn't necessarily it will be bad, if the all the other elements make up for it, something good can come out of it.

I just finished Madoka for the first time and I thought the art style in it was great.

That's because it is. Especially Gekidan Inu Curry's work, which is always fantastic.

The art style was the worst part though.