How would you rate this year so far?

How would you rate this year so far?

Pretty shit.

What was the worst and the best this year had to offer then?

/thread

+KonoSuba
+LWA2
+Kizu2
+Amanchu
+New Game
+Konobi
+Kimi no Na wa
+Emergence finale

?Re:Zero
?BokuMachi

-Increasing amounts of fujo

What's that about the Kizu subs?

summer 2016 is one of the best season in the past 3 years, there are a lot of good shows

The first subs had some lines changed, or there were tn notes like pic related.
For example "leave me alone" was changed into "fuck off m8", and when oshino said 2000000 yen he gave a tn note saying it's about 70000000 zimbabwean dollars etc.

You say that every year fucktard

>Winter
1st - Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
2nd - ERASED
3rd - Myriad Colors Phantom World
4th - Mahou Shoujo Nante Mou Ii Desukara.

>Spring
1st - Uchuu Patrol Luluco
2nd - Tanaka-kun is Always Listless
3rd - Boku no Hero Acadamia
4th - Joker Game

>Summer so far
1st - Mob Psycho 100
2nd - Amaama to Inazuma
3rd - New Game!
4th - Amanchu!

>Fall prediction
1st - Hibike! Euphonium 2
2nd - Stella no Mahou
3rd - Flip Flappers
4th - Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru

>Worst so far
1st - Bisgoujo Yuugi Unit Crane Game Girls
2nd - Berserk (2016)
3rd - Wagamama High Spec
4th - Pan de Peace!
5th - Super Lovers

>no konosuba on winter
>musaigen and mahou shoujo
>all those slice of life

Jesus christ

It was absolute garbage

I don't even watch seasonal crap anymore

It isnt even fall yet but of course we already know what will be the AOTY

The increasing of fujoshit series gets worst this year.

Decent, better than 2015.

very good
surprised at how much enjoyment I got out of it
having a lot on my watch list
That said of course there have been some trash shows getting a lot of attention as expected.

Rakugo was the best Anime in over a decade. It was fucking fantastic,I can't wait to buy the blu-ray

The only thing i can remember leaving an impression on me this year is ERASED and RE.zero. Aside from Bererk. But bererk is berserk, even if the 3d is shit it's still berserk.

>>no konosuba on winter
literally sounded like SAO, if it was good more power to you but as you can tell I'm not into that kind of shit
>>musaigen and mahou shoujo
winter was a weak season imo, Rakugo was the lone standout show. Obviously I didn't dislike what I listed otherwise I wouldn't have bothered, but 2nd-4th of winter wouldn't have made it onto any of my other seasonal top 4
>>all those slice of life
SoL is such a dumb broad "genre", it's like "healing anime" it doesn't really mean anything. Tanaka-kun is nothing like Amaama to Inazuma which in turn is nothing like Hibike!, yet all three are "Slice of Life" shows because that way it's easy to dismiss any and all shows that don't take place inside a video game or some other gimmicky bullshit. A show's setting, be it in a school or in space, isn't a determining factor as to how good said show will be, but it should go without saying that more effort will be put on the characters and writing of a show in a comparatively uninteresting setting, whereas a show with a high concept premise and a wacky attention grabbing location will put substantially less effort on its writing and direction because of the automatic audience that it attains due to its gimmicky hooks.
Basically you're objectively a pleb m8

to

Come on, user. Konosuba is a well done comedy.

thoroughly enjoyed this year so far

>literally sounded like SAO

Oh wow, you really think it's one of those? It's not dude.

>if it was good more power to you
didn't say it was bad, it could be great, I like the directors other work, the synopsis put me off at the time, maybe I'll check it out in the future

Slice of life doesn't only mean that it's "healing" or some shit. However, what is true is that most slice of life anime doesn't have significant plot. There are a lot of subplots, but no main subject, so just like in amaama, tanaka-kun, or new game!
Also don't mix up something like "he raises his daughter" as a main plot.
It's just an empty sentence. Slice of Life doesn't have something like "main plot". It's just a mashup of subplots that even if you mixed up some of the episodes, you wouldn't even notice, because most Slice of Life shows have 1 story per 1 episode.
And those may not even have anything to do with each other.
If I could summarize SoL in one sentence it would be Filler. Those shows are just giant fillers.
I'm not saying it makes it bad. If you enjoy it, good for you.
But holy fucking shit, if your top list for the season consist of 3 SoL anime.
And it wasn't even that bad of a season

If you really can't see any character development or change in relationships in shows like Amaama to Inazuma or Tanaka-kun I really don't know what to tell you man.

>If I could summarize SoL in one sentence it would be Filler
There's more to anime than plot, there's more that you enjoy in a series besides its over-arching story. Even in shows that are heavily reliant on a central narrative, its main means of conveying that narrative to its audience is visual direction (cinematography), characterisation, dialogue, tone, art style, animation and pacing, all of which play a major role in SoL series. You realise the most well respected director in Japanese history, Yasujirō Ozu, spent his entire career directing live action SoL films where literally nothing happens, right? If you want a really good story, just read a fucking books.

I'm not sure why I'm wasting my time, I'm not sure if you'll grasp what I'm trying to get at here. Besides being categorically false in a few places (new game obviously has a main subject, it's in the title), I think you fundamentally misunderstand what makes storytelling in an audio/visual medium different from storytelling in a literature.

I honestly do hope this is bait otherwise I doubt you enjoy anime or you're not old enough to post here.

Way better than 2013 -15.

What you said is true, but you say it as if animation, pacing, dialogue, cinematography, of all those things you mentioned, don't mean anything in other genres.
It's not like those things don't exist in plot-driven anime right? More than that, because of main story arc, things like character development, or art style can be enriched in anime that tells it's main story through all the episodes, with subplotes here and there, where in comparison SoL has mostly, when not only subplots, so you'll never see this significant difference in cinematography, or pacing, because if plot-driven show has good pacing the climax will be even better, whereas most SoL shows won't have an impacting climax, because, as I said before, there's likely 1 story per 1 episode, so the build-up only lasts for the duration of the episode, and then you start again.

Also: New Game!
>new game obviously has a main subject, it's in the title
In the previous post I said "don't mix up something like "he raises his daughter" as a main plot."
Just because the title says it, it doesn't mean that the story focuses on the end goal.
New Game! focuses on character interactions. The "goal" that is in the main title becomes secondary of importance.
Other than that you have "cute shenanigans" between the characters, or the main character wants to do something "for the original goal", but it's still just a subplot.
For example: Beach episodes in any anime. The characters want to relax, because the "main plot point" tires them out and they need a break. It's still a filler. Though it's justified by the main plot, the episode is just a sub-plot that will have no significance in the story whatsoever.

One more thing:
>If you want a really good story, just read a fucking books.
You do realize that there are anime adaptations of LNs, right?

I skipped Winter entirely.

Pretty good even though compared to last year I am watching less anime.

I think the anime I've enjoyed the most this season is Konosuba. It really took me by surprise. There's been so many Isekai shows the last five years, so a parody on the genre was pretty nice.

The movies this year are pretty good though, Kimi no na wa was anime of the decade tier and I expect Koe no Katachi to score high too.

I don't see what you're getting at, by your own fruition New Game! does have a reoccurring plot thread, in the form of the game development. There is a reoccurring cast whose relationship changes throughout the course of its episodes. There is the lead whose gradual progression in 3D modelling is a focal point of the earlier episodes, but now the show has moved past that there's an emphasis on her managing her outsider friend at the company. These are all reoccurring narrative elements, there's literally no denying that, whether they are as focal as, say, the titan attacks in Attack on Titan, is moot. Not every show has to adopt the conventional Tzvetan Todorovian model of storytelling and this is particularly true of a medium with elements that are able to tacitly convey information to the audience (as I have described, in cinematography etc). Nobody ever watched a monologue performance about a character's internal conflict and complained about the lack of a plot, you don't seem to be aware that something can exist without entirely relying on a narrative at all times.

The beach location is just a trope of a setting, it's equatable to how action movies have training montages. Sure you've seen it all before and the end result is typically the same, but that doesn't mean a director couldn't approach the convention in a different manner. Take Ouran Koukou Host Club, it had an incredibly unconventional beach episode, one that facilitated for a brief conflict that tied into the show's greater theme of the divide between sexes and one's role in society. Though it has a bit of a reputation now, Ouran was just another SoL show doing another seemingly by-the-numbers fanservice beach episode, but you cannot tell me it was just filler, it was blatantly crucial in the cast's development (you also can't tell me that show wasn't conflict-of-the-week SoL)

LN's are not real books.

(cont)
Also in relation to what you're saying about SoL not featuring a transformation in cinematography. Watch NGE, great action and dramatic show, very well shot and edited, classic of course we all know that. How did Hideaki Anno follow it up? Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou. Slice of life, high school setting, light romance and dramatic elements. You cannot even begin to tell me that KKnJ didn't have a gradually shifting visual style and cinematography approach according to the outlook of its lead, comparable to NGE. If you're even willing to argue that point you're just flat wrong. If anything, despite its comparatively far more drab setting, relatively stationary plot and simpler premise, KKnJ featured a much richer and expressive visual language than NGE.

Better than last year.

Tonkatsu DJ was the better short this spring.

Man I feel dumb, I'd never heard of this one before it got a new season announced, how is it?

This.
I've watched a lot more shows from this season than any other season so far.

I had no idea that KKnJ was written by Hideaki Anno. Something new every day.
I guess I just can't get into SoL that much now. When I look at Ouran Koukou, or KareKano I feel like the current slice of life shows lack something, while I can feel that something from the older shows. Maybe it's some kind of closure, maybe something else. I don't feel content when finishing SoL anime nowadays..
Most of the shows I watched were all over the place. I just turned thinking off and watched.
Last time I enjoyed Slice of Life was when Mushishi Zoku Shou aired. It felt like an adventure again. I guess Amaama is kinda nice this season, but when I looked at the manga, it seemed butchered. It also seems like the character development stopped. Episode 7 was amazing. The end of episode 9 was great too. You could really see the character development there. The fact that Tsumugi went to get medicine for Inudzuka, or the moment when Tsumugi faces reality about her mother's death. Also, Inudzuka, that even though he didn't want to, had to scold Tsumugi for going out alone. It was well done. But after that it's the same old story. Tsumugi wants to eat something, they cook it, and then they eat it. Kotori didn't progress much, and it grinds me, because she could be a better character. And if I have to wait for "this episode focuses on this characters development", then it gets to me even more.

Pretty good.
Kizumonogatari movie 1 was very nice, best Monogatari entry since Nise. Movie 2 will probably be even better, but it'll be 2017 before I can actually watch it.
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu was a fucking masterpiece.
Konosuba was the best comedy in a few years.
The ending to Durarara was satisfying at least, even if it still didn't live up to how good the first cour was.
Space Patrol Luluco was amazing, possibly the best Imaishi work yet. He should really stick to short form series from now on, his short pieces are always better than his full series.
Kiznaiver looked fucking beautiful and was charming and moving at first, but Okada can't write for shit so the plot inevitably fell apart after episode 7.
Re Zero is entertaining.
Re Life and Dagashi Kashi were comfy.
Mob Psycho 100 has been a decent adaptation of a great manga so far.
Dangan Ronpa 3 will end in disappointment and everyone knows it, but it's been a fun ride at least.
Looking forward to Kimi no Na wa, Koe no Katachi, and Kono Sekai no Katasumi ni. Although again, it'll be 2017 by the time I can watch them.

Musaigen no Phantom World was trash and the worst thing KyoAni have ever made. I wanted to just sit back and enjoy Ishihara's inventive and expressive direction, but just ended up being frustrated over how it was being wasted on stories and characters which weren't either of those things.
Joker Game was thoroughly boring, biggest disappointment from Production IG in years. At least Guilty Crown was fun even it was a train wreck.
I couldn't get into Kabaneri for fear that it was going to go full edge with its plot, but now that it's finished and I've heard that it mostly keeps its focus on over the top battle sequences, I might pick it back up.
Berserk 2016 is Berserk 2016.
But I don't think any of those disappointments are enough to bring the year down overall. I'm looking forward to Fall.

Did you watch Tonkatsu DJ and Sekkou Boys?

Both shorts were better than the majority of whatever was airing those seasons.

I watched Tonkatsu DJ. The style of humour didn't really appeal to me. I'm really picky when it comes to comedy. Sekkou Boys is on my backlog.

Flying Witch/10

2nd best of the decade

It's one of my favorite.

I cried tears of joy when season 5 was announced.

Aight..

The absolute shittiest taste. Kill yourself.

This is literally me

Maybe just replace Erased with KonoSuba

Fall season will save the entire year.

I enjoyed episode 7 too, I guess we can agree on something :)