Source: all-fiction.net/2015/07/14/animenext-2015-trigger-interview/

Other urls found in this thread:

yattatachi.com/one-punch-man-interview
togetter.com/li/305161
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>interview from more than a year ago
So?

Thanks for sharing this!

To counter the stupidity of people claiming all TV series have the same budget and quality is dictated by the amount of special snowflake "sakuga" animators?

Yuyucow is a fucking dumbass that pretends to know about anime despite being as clueless as your average ANN writer. OH WAIT, HE WRITES FOR ANN.

There is a current retarded meme that anime budget is irrelevant.

>OGIUE MANIAX: THIS IS A QUESTION FOR SUSHIO. I NOTICED THAT YOU USE KITAN AS YOUR AVATAR ON TWITTER. DO YOU HAVE ANY SORT OF CLOSE CONNECTION WITH KITAN? IS HE YOUR FAVORITE CHARACTER IN GURREN LAGANN?
>SUSHIO: I’m going to be very, very blunt and honest with you. I just don’t know how to change the icon.
This made me laugh.

No there isnt

You can't win, really. On one hand you have borderline normals that think animation is made by feeding money into a magical sausage maker, and putting more money gets you epic action scenes.
And on the other hand you have twitter "anime expert" spergs that think shows with twice as long a production period and a much higher frame count per episode on average cost almost as much the Sakamotos and Shomin Samples of the world.
Because if you have le Yutapon on your team, studio monthly upkeep, salaried production staff, paint and composite costs (which count by the frame) etc, all magically stop counting.

>quality is dictated by the amount of special snowflake "sakuga" animators
But that what Hori says is bought by more money

Chikashi Kubota (Gurren-Lagann, One-Punch Man) on anime budget

yattatachi.com/one-punch-man-interview

Do you think Yutapon is paid the same as a random dude from the street?

What the fuck I hate Trigger now

He's generally right in that people with talent can produce regardless of budget.

But then Hori is also right in that these people are paid for with high budgets, and directors will plan their anime accordingly.

Come on, guys. It's a slightly complex situation, but the reality is clear: Throwing money at a project will not 'make it better', but it will raise the limit on what is possible in a corporate environment.

This. Saying that budget is irrelevant is dumb. Not all animators are paid the same.

WHO DO I BELIEVE

Whenever I've seen people saying animation quality doesn't depend on budget I've always presumed that bigger budgets mean hiring better animators, but anons have told me that's not the case. So they were wrong all along? It never made sense to assume animators all get paid the exact same.

Allow me:
実力とは関係ないですが、そう思い込んじゃう方もいると思いますね。単価は等しく一律なので、上手くても下手でも変わらないですし。でもちょっと前ま4500円が当たり前だったのにねえ・・・・。

By Cindy H. Yamauchi, a japanese animator with over 20 years of career who worked on Akira.

togetter.com/li/305161

ok mr weeb

So a higher budget matters after all for action/fast-paced key scenes?

Even at the most broadly generalized level, I'm sure it's more complicated than more money = more/better staff = better final product. Schedule must matter a lot, for instance, regardless of how many hotshot key animators you hire.

Say you have 4 months to produce a 13-episode series. That's 200+ minutes worth of animation; you also need to have a complete episode ready to air every week. If you take those 4 months and instead use them to produce a 120 minute film, the end product will most likely look better because you can allocate more time for each cut. Without hard weekly deadlines, it might also be easier to recover from mishaps that could lead to a domino effect of QUALITY if they happened during production of a TV series.

>It has nothing to do with ability, but there are plenty of of people who are convinced it does, aren't there?
>The pay for 1 cut is the same for everybody, whether you're skilled or unskilled.
>But just a while ago 4500 yen was considered standard...

this is common knowledge, what's the point of this?

In this context, being more skilled means that you're more efficient. That is, able to complete more cuts in a given amount of time, while maintaining an acceptable level of quality.

Wrong. She's saying the pay for any one cut, regardless of content 9f that cut or of the skill of the person being hired to animate it, is the same for everybody working on that specific project.

They're not mutually exclusive explanations. Takafumi is speaking to TV vs Movie and Kubota is speaking TV vs TV. Also, I read what Takafumi said as

>the project with the higher budget can hire more [ . . . ] animators

Which makes sense even if freelance animators somehow are forced to charge a standard rate

>ALLFICTION: HAS STUDIO TRIGGER CHANGED IN ANY WAY SINCE THE IMMENSE SUCCESS OF THE LITTLE WITCH ACADEMIA 2 KICKSTARTER AND THE RELEASE AND POPULARITY OF KILL LA KILL?

>Wakabayashi Hiromi: After making Little Witch Academia, Inferno Cop, and other titles, we’ve noticed an overwhelming support from overseas fans. Since we notice overseas fans watch our projects, we started to try to take that into account into the pre-production level so it’s not just within Japan.

OUR GUYS

pandering to westernshits will ruin them

More budget allows for more complex scenes, but a good animator can carry the show to an extent?

bumping this for more discourse