What the fuck is this show

What the fuck is this show.

So far i watched, Kizumonogatari, Nekomonogatari: Kuro, Bakemonogatari, and just got to the toothbrush scene or Nisemonogatari.

The first 3 were kind of confusing, but interesting. Now it just seems like every episode if fanservice/incest. Is that all there is to this show?

Non-Japanese should never watch this series. Reading subtitles and knowing none of the deeper social context, you can only understand about 15% of the dialoge and events of any given episode.

What kind of social/culture criticism is there? Anywhere i can read about it?

well i think 30% of it . but lookto the great dialoge it has and the characters and it has a good story too

Only Bake, Kizu and S2 have any resemblance of plot. The rest is just character banter, bad character banter, and fanservice.

Nise is full of fanservice and bullshit, it gets better again after that.

At least watch Second Season, it has the best arc of the entire series

This sounds pretty memey. Can someone confirm?

I will, still got 3 episodes of Nise to go through.

He's bullshitting. If you want to see shows that are 85% actual Japanese cultural differences watch SZS or Joshiraku

that's not really true, and SZS is much worse in that regard

Its not that absurd. You can understand pretty much everything beside wordplay (which there is plenty of it actually) so I would say 50% of dialogue (social commentary its not anything you cant understand if you have watch enough anime)

It is 100% a meme. Monogatari isn't nearly as deep or nuanced as people make it out to be. Non retarded English only speakers can understand at least 80% of it. This number only goes up with your power level as puns and wordplay are honestly not that difficult to understand.

>Is that all there is to this show?
yes
and i have no idea how i still like it

NISE A SHIT

Everything else was solid.

Though Hanamonogatari and the second half of Owarimonogatari were kinda boring. Which is expected since monkey is worst girl.

Nise isn't nearly as bad as people say it is. While I certainly agree it wasn't the best arc, it was plenty important to the overall plot.

To name a few things off the top of my head:
-developed Hachikuji, foreshadowing Oni
-developed Nadeko, setting up for Otori and Hitagi End
-introduces Kaiki, also setting up for Hitagi End
-develops the Araragi/Shinobu relationship greatly, as it is the first real conversation they have since Kizu
-introduces Yozuru and Yotsugi, more of the Gaen network

I will however concede that the Fire Sisters are pretty much irrelevant though.

Surprisingly enough, the cultural humour and commentary in SZS applies to British society pretty well. As an Englishman, I found plenty of the jokes and criticisms of Jap society ultra relatable.

fanservice/incest

yet i still greatly enjoyed Joshiraku

>I will however concede that the Fire Sisters are pretty much irrelevant though.
Not really. They're great foils to Koyomi, Karen as another hero wannabe, and Tsukihi as a fake existence. They're integral to his development by forcing him to accept that he's just a kid playing hero as well, and helping him come to terms with the fact that although he isn't human anymore, he can have a place in human society.