Why was Father so much more entertaining as a shadowy blob rather than an actual god?

Why was Father so much more entertaining as a shadowy blob rather than an actual god?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9PRSchbUMW4
youtube.com/watch?v=bTxgJqgbuNk\
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It really got to me how Father didn't even understand why what he was doing was wrong, he was just trying to learn more about this world he was brought into.

Is it fair to judge something so clearly not human as evil by human standards?

Shut the fuck up Kotomine

Because the show is about him becoming a god, it's not about him being a god.

Sorry I don't read or watch hentai

But he wasn't. His goal was the leave the bottle. He just saw this entire plane of existence as the bottle.

But does becoming a god have to make him so boring?

I know it's supposed to be ironic and exists only for thematic reasons. but I really wish he had more of a personality.

Perhaps because he was a more interesting character instead of a OP dude whose final fight makes it seem like this shit suddenly turned DBZ for no reason

The show was like that from the beginning.

I do agree that Father just took things to ridiculous levels, though.

youtube.com/watch?v=9PRSchbUMW4
Sorry for dub but listen to this, he legitimately doesn't understand what was wrong with his actions. His death pleas are begging Truth for answers and knowledge.

More like lovecraftian humanoid>no.23395 super power bishonen villain.

Akira's Law: Every shounen anime, if it continues for long enough, will degenerate into a DragonballZ knockoff.

I felt Father was a pretty weak villain. Just my opinion. I like villains who appear to be evil and asshole but possess fear and acknowledge others.

Brotherhood a shit. 1st show was better

Because journey > destination

>Sorry for dub
Please, it's one of the few series where it's worthy of praise.

Exactly. He would've been more memorable if nothing else had he treated the Homonculi like his own children, instead of practically ignoring all them except Pride, somewhat.

I guess it was done for thematic reasons, like I mentioned above, but he ultimately seems like a generic "villain who doesn't care about anyone but himself," which has been done to death.

That's another thing: what exactly was Father's ultimate goal? What did he want? This user mentions wanting to leave the flask, but why did he want to absorb Truth? What was the point? Did he have an inferiority complex toward humans and thought that was his way of being "above" them? If he hadn't lost all the Amestris souls, what was he going to do afterward? Waste his power until he needed to make another philosopher's stone? What was he going to do once he ran out of human souls to absorb?

I'm more interested in how the ancient Xerxians managed to isolate a piece of what was contained behind the door into a flask.

Hohenheim mentions that he gave a lot of blood to create Father. Maybe it was some kind of sacrifice, like equivalent exchange is?

What is that image supposed to convey?

Other than the re-experiencing the hype and disappointment that was WotLK

It's open to interpretation. Like a Rorschach test.

I'm more interested about why Hohenheim didn't fuck anyone before Trisha.
He had his chance with young and cute Pinaco but instead of dancing with her he choose to play with the loli and waited many years before marying 1 woman, making 2 kids with her and then leaving them.

He actually did have his shadow blob personality for like 5 minutes when he first met Edward.
Then he turned into a generic villain until the last 5 minutes of his life.

Ed managed to attain what was behind the door mentally for doing human transmutation. I imagine the little creature inside the flask is a similar manifestation of that knowledge.

Yeah, he seemed genuinely surprised to know Hohenheim had kids. It was cute.

Because he split off his human emotions and desires by creating his seven homunculi.

1st show had no Lan Fan. It is therefore mathematically proven to be inferior.

Nope he was capable of empathy and understanding exactly what he was doing, he thought it was hilarious to kill everyone and leave only Hohenheim alive.

What made father interesting is he had all these human emotion and flaws despite not being a human. It separated him from generic shounen god complex villains.

This. He was obviously having human emotions and envied mankind. He fully understands that what he does is evil on some level but shrugs it off because he sees humans as inferior.

Man, that managed to be even more depressing than Envy's death. Why do I feel this way for such unrepentantly evil creatures?

Lyra > Lan Fan

His motives are relateable.
He looks more pitiful and sympathetic in that form.
Because for someone who's main motivation is wanting to know things, spending an eternity trapped in darkness to ponder a single question you'll never get an answer to is a harsh fate.

He's a demon of artificial construction that wishes to cause suffering to untold millions. It is the duty of every able human to destroy it.

Does Father still even exist once he gets sucked back into the gate?

Father was meant to be a boring character with no growth because he always exchanged what was not his to acquire God. His door of truth was blank because he literally did nothing to improve himself and did the exact opposite and remove his 7 desires stunting his growth.

Nobody knows.

youtube.com/watch?v=bTxgJqgbuNk\

Why does he stop fighting back and starts monologuing about Edward beating the shit out of him?

He doesn't understand why he is getting his ass kicked. So he loses his will to fight.

The lion may not eat you maliciously, but you can hardly be expected to let it eat you anyway.

Only if your choice of destination is shit.

No need to apologize, not everyone here is a filthy weeaboo.

How to get abs like Bucaneer?

Fight a bear

Looking back, FMA was kind of a shit series.

Who or what is father, where did he come from?
What were his goals?
Alkahestry, how does it work? Why does it stop Father?

And the whole setting was such a waste. We're dealing with alchemy and gods and all these huge fantastical concepts but the plot if the show is just overtaking some political conspiracy in Amestris. It really was such a waste of the setting.

As a shadow blob he still had all his emotions. Later on he outsourced his emotions into his homunculi, therefore becoming more stoic.

Literally all of your questions can be answered by paying attention.

Holy shit, I don't think you didn't even watched it.

RIP your time bro because you watched something and didn't see anything.

W-why is he getting his ass kicked at all? He has godlike powers so why doesn't he use them?

Jesus fucking Christ, user. Do you have the attention span of a goldfish?
>father is a fragment of the god beyond the gate, who was manifested into the physical world by alchemy
>to become like and eventually supersede god, basically he wants to be the top dog
>flow of life energy or some shit (honestly I don't recall). Father can't defend against it because his magical foot powers can only stop tectonic plate movements which is what powers alchemy, but alkahestry uses another energy source that he wasn't aware of thus he doesn't have a method in place to stop people from using it (he didn't even know alkahestry existed in the first place)

Because he expelled all of his more entertaining traits as homunculus which left him empty

it's not a bad dub, but man, did they miss quite a few things in translation.
Not to mention that "Gods" voice isn't a mirror of whomever it's talking to, instead it's just a nondescript woman, apparently.

I'm nitpicking, I know, I know.

>Father swallows Truth
>first thing he does is create a hydrogen bomb
Those Japs can sure hold a grudge.

If father got rid of his greed why did he still want more power?

Was good when she was a normal alchemist, was absolute garbage as a villain body puppet.Something about being mind controlled by a 500 year old person is really a turn off.

>Alkahestry, how does it work?
Alkahestry was the best part of the series in many ways. It subverted everything we knew, in a reasonable way.

Because shounen and friendship.

just cuz

One Piece hasn't

Back then didn't he have greed inside of him?

No. He was better in Human like form

It's a shame that the main villain of the series turned out to be the worst and most boring one. All of the Homunculi were better and more entertaining than Father.

>The part with every character reacting to the fight is longer than the fight
Every anime. Every time.

He also acts angry, slothful, envious & prideful in the show. The 2003 version handled the 7 deadly sins much better.

I dunno. "Getting rid" of his sins but still acting upon them is a great message that you can never really get rid of them. It kinda fits in with the theme of the show.

>eyepatch hides his true power
what do they mean by this?

You talking about this guy? I dunno user maybe its because his eyeball has a fucking tattoo on it that is the symbol of the evil organisation the heroes are fighting against

No, because the power was too much for his body to handle. He could not contain God, it would have destroyed him.

>Father
>Shadowy blob.
Is this aPowerpuff Girls thread or something?

Why couldnt they pull Wrath out of Bradley the same way the pulled Greed out of Ling?

I thought bradley was a homonculous. just a special one that was more human like.

While Greed was a separate entity within Ling who had his own personality and everything, this doesn't appear to be the case with Wrath. Bradley didn't get his body taken over by Wrath, he became Wrath itself after he was infused with Father's stone. Remember that the stone was reduced to just one soul because Bradley resisted the transformation, so for all we know Bradley's soul died but his body remained, allowing Wrath's soul/essence/ghost juices or whatever to take control. Bradley still has his mind so he remembers his childhood from before, but might just have another soul where his should be

In short: Bradley and Wrath are the same dude

Wrath was the only thing left and had merged with the broken remains of Bradley's mind.

Lee was always there and fought against greed.

Just to add: Bradley's soul may not necessarily died. As I recall, during his convo with Mustang he said only the most wrathful soul survived. That could either be his own because his rage allowed him to resist the stone and kill all the other souls, or it could be Wrath's soul, or the soul of a particularly angry Xerxian)

Basically I'm autistic enough to remember details from a show I haven't watched in two years

Not all of them. Sloth definitely wasn't, nor was Gluttony. Their fight scenes were entertaining, but not their other scenes.

Also, why is Pride basically just Father in a little kid's body? Like they have practically the same exact powers and personality.

he just wanted to know everything, to live in this wide world without being bound by anything

desires he got from hohenheim, because he was born with his blood

Objective homunculi list from best to worst
1. Wrath
2. Greed
3. Lust (a sexy, A SEXY)
4. Envy
5. Gluttony
6. Pride
7. Sloth

Wrath was a far better villain in my opinion.

I don't know, I feel like Father just fell a bit short in the end. His flask personality was definitely more interesting.

Here's something I've always wanted to ask someone about, since I was genuinely dazzled by it.

In the final fight between Ed and Father there's this hilarious moment where everyone gets blasted away and the big bad guy starts walking veeery slowly towards Ed who is stuck to a piece of debris. Everyone watches, no one dares to move a muscle, and Father gets nearer and nearer.

My question is: what in the everliving fuck was the point of Mei Ling throwing those knives at Ed and sacrificing Ed to give him back his arm? Since her special kind of alchemy seemed to work anyway, why didn't she just throw some knives under / in front of Father to blow him the fuck out? He was very clearly vulnerable to even the most basic of things (punches), is there some reason as to why she didn't do that?

sacrificing Al*

Pretty accurate list

Because Wrath had more of a personality, or at least showed his off more.

He was friendly to the Elrics and Mustang's crew early on, but as soon as he found Greed, he showed off his intense "wrath," and utterly rekt him. Wrath did this with Greed's chimeras, and later, nearly Scar too.

Drama/plot convenience. I think Father had just released a large burst of energy moments before that literally blew everyone away, so they may have all been too stunned or hurt to move, like Hohenheim and Alphonse were.

It was also a stressful moment I'm sure, so they probably weren't thinking clearly.

>Best character
>Most relatable motives and sin
>Is a bro
Why is he the best homonculi?

Yeah, but Al and Mei Ling were clearly sane enough to come up with the whole 'throw the knives at Ed's missing arm and sacrifice your body' etc.

Had she simply thrown one of her bombs at Father everything about Ed sacrificing his alchemy could've easily been avoided. Hell, considering the state he was in, even sniping him with simple kunais would've done the trick.

I guess it was just plot convenience after all

For anyone in this thread thinking "but gee, Father only wanted knowledge and perfection. What is wrong with wanting to have that and pursue it?"
Don't forget that his ideas of perfection were against the system, like The Truth calls him out on. Certain things that happened during the final battle that worked against his favour were the result of that, and what happened afterwards when talking with The Truth can also be seen as his punishment for trying to defy how this universe works.

shitty writing

>god
>ever being an entertaining villain

Lan Fan is literally the worst girl in all FMA continuities.

see
If he has more of a personality than boring, flat. monotone, and lacking any kind of passion or excitement, then yes he can be.

I agree FMA B was kinda shit
FMA on the other hand had at least a great first half and one of the best openings seen in anime

One Piece was a DBZ clone from the very beginning, revolving around Luffy beating up the bad guy to save an island. HxH on the other hand has become less shounen the further it goes, just look at the Election and Dark Continent arcs.

>Lan Fan
>Worst girl
Are you at least able to explain your shit taste!

inb4 SSJ Gon

Honestly, fuck Luffy. He's one of the few things I hate about OP.

They mixed the names of the homunculi in the 2003 anime, right?

Wrath in Brotherhood was Bradley, but in the 2003 series he was Pride. I think that was the only name change.

I'd have switched Lust with Envy, honestly. But that's pretty much my list too.

>In the first anime adaptation, Sloth is the product of the Elric brothers' attempt to revive their mother, Trisha Elric, found by Dante and fed incomplete Philosopher's Stones until she assumes her original form's likeness.

I know about that. But Sloth's name wasn't switched like Bradley's was. 2003 Sloth was a completely different character than Brotherhood Sloth.