Self sufficiency; is it possible?

I really want to get my own small plot of land and operate a self sufficient farm.

Thing is, I'm not rich. Where in America is land still affordable? Where you can build your own small home by hand with little regulation?

Basically, is it possible to go out into a field somewhere and build a life like homesteaders did back in 1700-1800s? Or is that just a pipe dream?

inb4 "escapism is unhealthy user"

>a self sufficient farm

You're still gonna have to pay property taxes, which means you'll have to grow enough food to sell to other people, which means you're gonna have to start a business and follow FDA restrictions so you're gonna have to buy approved seeds and pesticides and vaccinate your animals and shit, so your gonna have to produce enough to be able to afford that. Just grow soy beans. It's good money.
Don't kid yourself. There's no escape.

where's his water source?

I've actually been working toward this picture for years. I've got a huge piece of land and have been working on it for a couple years now. It's mostly done, though I haven't got any animals. The land for the animals is taken up by fruits. Originally I was planning on doing that, but I honestly don't think I'd go that far as I'm still part of society and not planning on going 100% self-sufficient.

It's hard work, and requires a lot of time and planning. I'm currently working toward putting irrigation through out all my land I grow stuff, but the end game is a small natural water system through out the property.

that looks way too utopian, you need bigger fields in order to survive.

>live innabush
>remote living in alaska pays no rent

How do you feed all those animals? Won't you have to buy feed for the pigs?

So how do the Amish do it in the US? Do they have a special status in terms of property tax? Or do they sell some of their crockery?

yeah would love to know that as well.

it's possible here with sunlight and rain out the ass but land is fuck expensive

This guy clearly doesnt know what he's talking about

OP pic is my wettest dream, with a normie job also ofc.

I'm doing it little by little

>So how do the Amish do it in the US? Do they have a special status in terms of property tax? Or do they sell some of their crockery?
The only special dispensation for the Amish in the US is they do not have to pay into nor receive benefits from the Social Security System.

Op, look up curtis stone on youtube, the farmer obviously not the chef.

Stone works in a suburb of vancuver farming people's front lawns essentially. He makes 80,000 a year minimum, because he only grows high profit per square foot items, like spinach, kale, etc.

Its a little silly but the core idea makes sense. Farming is so hard because the startup cost is insane. Tractors, land... So if you go small, say a 1/4 of an acre, and only grow the most profitable items, you can avoid the prohibitive initial costs.

The Amish pay the same taxes as everyone else (except social security). They don't have electricity and don't have indoor plumbing. In Wisconsin and Pennsylvania they have legal precedents that allow them to build their buildings without modern building codes because of religous reasons. They can't sell the buildings to non-amish.

They make a living by selling the fruits of their labor. In my area they often sell well crafted wooden furniture, goose down pillows, and of course foods.

Yes, they have sources of fiat. Vegetables, Milk, and they also build houses.

it is possible to be self sufficient, but far easier to participate in fair trade and less taxing.

>i really want to
>is land affordable anywhere?

you don't want to at all because you haven't bothered looking for yourself /thread

wtf I love the Amish now!

I thought land in Australia would be so cheap that the Chinese bought half of all the land.

the amish also love to fuck underage girls, not bad i'd say.