Why has animation quality decreased over the past 21 years?

why has animation quality decreased over the past 21 years?

Other urls found in this thread:

sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/11472/animated-beams-effects-explosions-itano_circus-mec
sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/25208/3d_background-animated-artist_unknown-beams-cgi-de
sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/11106/animated-artist_unknown-black_and_white-effects-fi
sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/24972/animated-artist_unknown-character_acting-dancing-l
sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/22869/animated-beams-effects-eureka_seven-_pocket_ga_nij
sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/8271/animated-effects-eureka_seven_-2005-eureka_seven_s
sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/8275/animated-effects-eureka_seven_-2005-eureka_seven_s
youtube.com/watch?v=2THVvshvq0Q
twitter.com/AnonBabble

it's hasn't
youre just cherrypicking from high budget ova's and movies
go watch the wind rises or something

For the same reason that the gaming industry died, too many faggots with shit taste spending fucktons of money on and defending garbage.

It hasn't. Take off your nostalgia goggles

What do you suppose his WPM is?

because you're comparing high budget OVA from when Japan is still having their economic boom to TV series today.

>posts the exception
why is this allowed?

>tfw akira is still the only animated completely animated on 1s (24 fps)

and the story is complete shit. No thanks

>Taking all that time and effort to engineer those intricate robot finger things when you can just plug your head into the usb port.

>tumblr
Stop replying.

Then...

Because of cheaper alternatives which look worse.

Despite the quality there are so many things about this that bug me.
>robot interfacing with a machine manually
>chance of error greatly increased
>so many easily broken moving parts

Now.

1fps
so nostalgic for hearing Frieza speak over 3 stills for 5 minutes

Man, I miss Raito.

What the fuck happened?

Nakamura's scenes in Concrete Revolutio were awful.

The camera never loved a man the way it loved the Iron Detective.

Because you can now hire a lot of people with less talent to do something with the digital aids that previously could only be accomplished by less people with more artistic talent.

Good animation still gets made, but as a whole it is much cheaper to hire a sea of underpaid low-skill people to make korean photoshop sweatshop anime than get a bunch of extremely talented animators together to make something truly special.

Also anime tastes of consumers changed. Standards get lower and lower and virgin otaku are willing to pay an arm and a leg for worse stories with worse animation as long as they have cute girls in them.

Again, there is still modern anime with high quality animation, but as a whole the entire industry has a lot less artistic talent and the great traditional animators of old are starting to die out and leave the industry to be replaced lower-paid, lower skill, more numerous animators.

Whatever you say, Satomi.

back then we made it because we wanted to , now there's no $$ in it so no one wants to .

I don't think you've seen the average animation quality of an 80s TV series. Hell, most OVAs were nothing to write home about either. But you know what happened? Nobody remembers the garbage, so they get to cherry pick out the best and claim there was a golden age.

If you could half ass a project and get an A or A- or work your ass off for the A+ what would you do?

If you could work 3 days a week for 50k a year or 7 days a week for 60k a year what would you do?

Animation and CGI has gotten lazy with the advancement of new technology putting less artistic effort into everything

>akira
>animated completely on 1s

Except that's bullshit, take a few minutes to frame step through the movie. A lot of it is 2s, and most of the 1s parts are pans over static backgrounds, alternating between new foreground frames and new background frames, or just two different scans of the same frame in a row. It still looks good, but it doesn't contain anywhere near as many unique frames as people like to claim.

Digital inking and colouring doesn't make those frames draw themselves, you know.

>dat cherrypicking idiot

every single thread

They made far more of those in the 80s and 90s than they do now. It's not unfair to say animation quality has declined.

I would say that specifically TV series are higher quality than they used to be, but there is an abundance of laziness and lack of creativity in all areas that has been spurred on by digitization of the industry enabling more people with less talent to enter the industry as the talented traditional animators of old are phased out.

So basically yes, LN adaptations, moeshit and virgins are killing anime.

The fight itself looks good, but the backgrounds and forced camera movement look terrible.

that's still retarded because the quality of animation, as a fucking medium, has not declined

Cherry picking war?

Beat this you modernfags.

I miss the good old day of hand-drawn animation.
Computer is soul-less and can't produce true art.

>Digital inking and colouring doesn't make those frames draw themselves, you know.

I know, I'm in animation & visual effects.

Harder to paint and draw frames in the 70's than it is nowadays, making artists back then pay more artistic attention to their craft.

No, what you're saying isn't "there are less high-budget OVAs and movies, therefore animation quality has declined", it's "there are less high-budget OVAs and movies, therefore there are less high-budget OVAs and movies".

Yea I honestly don't care if this argument is always a cherrypicking war.

Traditional animation > CG and photoshop anime any day of the week

Retro always wins, can't beat the oldschool aesthetic

Budget constraints.

Pfft, look at that framerate, how can the eighties even compete?

Photoshop killed artistic skill.

I really wish modern anime would tone it down on the post processing sometimes, I would rather see a few drawing imperfections here and there than LENS FLARE desu

You're choosing an arbitrary measure which fits the point you're trying to make.

This looks bad. You did a bad job at cherry-picking.

Fuck, I like the above one much more. Yamada should just fuck off with her stupid filters

If we're allowed to cherry-pick, even shows with overall low standards of art have their moments. Even Deen can do it.

Tracing with computer is easy.
No one learns to draw anymore.

>This looks bad. You did a bad job at cherry-picking.
That's one way to admit you're an idiot I suppose.

Doesn't follow. More people will do something poorly when it's easy to do (lower barrier to entry; SFM effect), but that doesn't necessarily decrease the number of people who do the thing well.

>hurr durr tracing
I would say something, but it's difficult to reason with people this stupid if they think that something like that is just lazily tracing a photo.

Is this really from a TV series?

sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/11472/animated-beams-effects-explosions-itano_circus-mec

sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/25208/3d_background-animated-artist_unknown-beams-cgi-de

sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/11106/animated-artist_unknown-black_and_white-effects-fi

sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/24972/animated-artist_unknown-character_acting-dancing-l

Yeah you're right, there's literally zero artistry left in the after shot.

Anime is not a showcase for visual art, it's a medium for telling a story.

The effects stuff is good but the kinematics are obviously stilted.

All but the 4th one look awful.

Know what they did 30 years ago when they wanted detailed scenery? They just put in a fucking photo. I'd rather have a traced semi-stylized background than a fucking photo.

>Know what they did 30 years ago when they wanted detailed scenery? They just put in a fucking photo.
No one did that 30 years ago.

Real niggas remember when DEEN wasn't a huge meme and produced some top tier shit

Ebin bait.

Average TV anime of today looks 5 times better than average TV anime of 90's.

You retards always post GitS or Akira and pretend it was the standard.

And saying stories got worse clearly shows you are a troll or newfag. 3/4 of 90's anime was crap for little kids. Most of the rest were retarded gorefest/fanservice OVAs with plot worse than Naruto.

Eh I liked it. I just randomly picked for these.

I could use a list, if you'd be so kind.

>They made far more of those in the 80s and 90s than they do now.
That's the difference between a boom and a recession.

>it's a medium for telling a story.

If the animation and artwork weren't a huge part of the appeal for me and I didn't give a fuck why would I watch anime, I would just watch live action film

If you don't care about animation but watch anime you are just a manchild who wants to look at cartoon girls

In a sense in an ideal world CG would triumph, since it enables a person to do a lot more.

In the reality world, all it enables, mostly, is corner cutting to the max and general lazyness.

I don't understand why it all came to this, since all it does is break creativity. You are not as restricted as you used to be. For a medium such as Anime it doesn't have much of an impact, as it is already a drawn format and one can do amazing things with just creativity.

I just feel it is a really lazy way of doing things, since it's never done in the right manner and only used as a tool to cut corners.

If they were scenes from some 90's OVA people would be orgasming and shitting themselves when it was released. And then ask how is it even possible to make something that looks so good.

>>Taking all that time and effort to engineer those intricate robot finger things when you can just plug your head into the usb port.
In the manga it is explained that the old man doesn't trust the brain port, either because he is old fashioned or for security reasons. And that the typing hands are a way to augment his interface capabilities without using a brainjack.

People always point Eupho for its filters but honestly I think its one of, if not the best example of using filters. The top looks nicer as a single frame but the colors and filters did a fantastic job of complementing the mood of the show or particular scenes as a whole. Its isn't smooth animation or the setting that made Eupho so good, its the characters and and their interactions. And I think dropping some background detail and clarity to better highlight the characters and mood was a great choice.

It's all personal preference, but there really is no school like the old school.

Except they wouldn't, because they're all loaded with 3DCG and after effects, which weren't used in the 90s.

>Anime is not a showcase for visual art, it's a medium for telling a story
Just read book if you don't give a fuck about the most important thing of a visual medium.

>Soul Hunter

Holy shit, one of my first.

>I just feel it is a really lazy way of doing things, since it's never done in the right manner and only used as a tool to cut corners.
Orange and the studio that did Bubuki Buranki exist. Even if Bubuki Buranki's trade-off for mastering imitation-2D was a show that was barely animated.

Good CG isn't any easier than good 2D.

Looks like crap and all it does is mask that shitty background

You can just wiki the studio

>Even if Bubuki Buranki's trade-off for mastering imitation-2D was a show that was barely animated.
I mean seriously, the show had less frames of animation in it than your average zero budget 90s series. What's the point of having 3d if you aren't going to use any of its advantages?

Quads of truth.

>modern """"animation""""

Well yeah, but people's personal opinions and recommendations are valuable too.

Somebody talking about how much they like a show and what's good about it can do a lot more to sell somebody than the show's rating and synopsis.

This is like the animation version of Micheal Bay.

Is Concrete Revolutuion good? It looks meta.
Does it have a meaningful story?

sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/22869/animated-beams-effects-eureka_seven-_pocket_ga_nij

sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/8271/animated-effects-eureka_seven_-2005-eureka_seven_s

sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/8275/animated-effects-eureka_seven_-2005-eureka_seven_s

Pretty sure I've seen better or comparable scenes of grills dancing from older anime, that wasn't really anything special

And yet the fight was still less impressive than in the manga.

And that webm is a lot of flash and little substance.

Nah that would be

I'm pretty sure this is not from a TV series

>adobe after effect garbage
>good
fuck off

Yes it is. Try not guessing next time.

>ITT Retarded Nostalgiafags
Oh boy

Watch Ufotable animes and say that again you faggot.

>Is Concrete Revolutuion good?
Yes, very.
>It looks meta.
Sort of. It mirrors historical events in the Showa period and takes place over a number of years. Many of them are stuff like "this ultraman-based superhero appears in the same year that ultraman appeared in" but some go deeper.
>Does it have a meaningful story?
Also yes.

get educated
youtube.com/watch?v=2THVvshvq0Q

Stay mad 80s pleb.

This feels almost false-flagging with how much people complain about Ufotable's digital effects.

it's great, the only episode that wasn't was the butcher one. jirozilla is cool

Because anime was hand drawn and hand painted in the past. Skilled animators were valued in the past, now some random Korean with a tablet is doing everything digitally. It doesn't take a retard to figure this out.

Because it's varied and novel, and the types of stories you get are totally different from western media. Because due to the nature of Japanese culture over the last couple decades their media targets various niches instead of some homogeneous massive consumer base. Because due to the very fact that it's not live action it lends itself more to experimentation and is less tied down to realism. Because you don't get shit like Mushishi or crazy bullshit like NGE in live action film. Because something like Paprika can be created on a budget less than a tenth of Inception and still be more firmly in a world of dream and consequently doesn't have to be tied down to hollywood executives so the creators can really do whatever they want.

>the most important thing of a visual medium
Immersion?