Hajime no Ippo

What's happening to Ippo?
Did he really just suddenly went weaker?
Did the damage he sponged like a retard finally took its tole on him?

What's going to happen to him now?
I was getting so excited about that new version of the dempsey roll too...

Other urls found in this thread:

soz.matchupp.com/?p=10147
youtube.com/watch?v=uuDQtRDbmlE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

He has brain damage.

That wouldn't be surprising to be honest.
The coatch made him sponge attacks instead of avoiding them like any normal boxer would do.

It was just a question of time until it happened.

800 chapters of fist to head style finally paying off.

I actually can't remember any fighting manga where the MC actually got permanent brain damage from the hits he took...

Ippo will end like Rocky 5 and you know it.

What was the ending? I never watched it, only the 3 first movies.

street fight

This is exactly what happened with Ashita no Joe. I didn't think George would write himself so firmly into a corner with this story arc, but apparently this is the route he's taking.

I have a feeling he's projecting his own health issues he's been experiencing recently into this story. The way it stands right now, though, I just don't see how this comes to a satisfying conclusion.

it's gone on too long with alot of blueball fights. There was no way this was going to end nicely.

PUNCH HARDER KID JUST PUNCH HARDER

The series definitively should have ended a long time ago.
To be honest, when George changed his style from actual muscular men fighting each others to fit numen with almost no muscle but with a lot of dust wind.

The series should have ended*

2 ways this goes

Either it's a red herring for drama because I guess everyone's fucking tired of HnI's lack of progress, or it's real for drama but he's gonna get better for some bullshit reason and fight again until he loses like he promised himself.

Reminder that That Ippo is just poor man's Joe.

He's just gonna breath like last night.
A good amount of air will buff him up and heal anything, you'll see.

HAH! FACE TO FIST STYLE, HOW'D YOU LIKE IT?!

Reminder that Ippo KO-ed Joe in round 5.

He should change his name to Joke :^)

>when George changed his style from actual muscular men fighting each others to fit numen with almost no muscle but with a lot of dust wind.

They're featherweights. Having everyone look like heavyweights or midget heavyweights isn't realistic.

I'm sure on some planet your style is impressive, but your weak link is: this is Earth.

You fags better stream it and don't you fucking think you're off the hook if you post the webm.

This has been going on for a while so I don't feel like it's a red herring like what they had with Takamura. I feel that they either make a big effort to resolve it and Ippo comes out with a new competitive spirit, or this is really the end for him.

The problem is if the brain damage is real no amount of competitive spirit is gonna justify his getting in the ring again.

Yeah well, no amount of air will make you stronger but it worked for Ippo.

What I mean is for the character it won't make sense. It will be awful writing no matter how you slice it.

What about Takamura and his opponents? I remember that Hawk looked legitimately big. They started getting smaller afterwards, despite getting higher in weight class.

He's still only a middleweighter though.

Doesn't really matter - look how much smaller Bison is than Hawk.

>A strong retard with a huge dick and a heart of gold

Ippo went full HODOR

fucking captcha

Oh wow, I didn't remember their body being soo... robotic? Cubic?

unnecessarily lean is what I'd use in general, but I see what you mean as well

holy FUCK. hawk was in chapter 381? It feels like much more happened from the beginning of the series to hawk, then from hawk til now. holy fuck, what has morikawa been doing these past 770 chapters? what a hack

It's been like that for a while. Excessive stylization does that in a lot of manga.

Damn. I'm as surprised as you.

Everything after Hawk and Ippo's first couple of title defenses really does seem to blur together.

Yeah. I re-read Taka's fights the other day, and I was sincerely really surprised that Hawk was that many chapters ago. Still one of my favorites, though.

Seeing Takamura ACTUALLY serious and in bishonen mode marked a lot of people.

/fit/ pls

They actually looked beffy back then.

Chapter 1154 raws are out.

the coach had asked ippo whether he had any symptoms of a punch drunk, ippo lied and said no. the coach still wants to confirm his suspicions and asks ippo to draw a line with a pen, precisely and straight. Ippo tries to hold his breath and draw the line, but he doesnt move the pen the first time - my guess is that he was holding his breath, waiting for the perfect moment (I do this when I try to take photos because my hands like to move on their own), and it didnt come. kamogawa tells him to draw the fucking line already, and Ippo tries again but still cant even draw a line (he just doesnt move his pen). Kamogawa slams his fist on the table. Ippo tells the coach that because he focusses on his hand so much, he can't stop it from shaking.

He apologizes, takes deep breath and draws a straight line. (I think, I can't actually into moon, so this might be wrong). There's no problem with the line he drew, he doesnt show any nerval damage signs, and he doesnt show any other symptoms. For the time being, they conclude that Ippo might not have dementia pugilistica. However, it's a fact that Ippo has become fragile, and he has problems with properly gauging distances. Therefore, the suspicion is still there, because accumulation of damage is the most likely explanation for his symptoms.

Kamogawa tells Ippo to stay away from boxing, for the time being. Ippo feels deflated and disappointed, as he was close to completing his new dempsey roll. The coach also tells him that any burden, damage etc to the head are strictly prohibited. He bans him from the gym for one month. Ippo wants to spend this month with thinking alot, preparing himself mentally, and doing a lot of roadwork.

Wow, its fucking nothing. It looks like Morikawa is going for the "just a prank bro" route, but that would just be shitty writing. There HAS to be a condition that Ippo suffers from.

I'd say that if morikawa wants ippo to continue, he should have him suffer from something that is treatable, or gets better over time. having him not have anything would be pretty stupid at this point - ippo DEFINITELY has some health issues, and just ignoring it would be retarded from this point on. Morikawa should give him something that gradually gets better if you dont take hits to the head anymore, if something like that even exists.

ippo is definitely cornered, though. he wont be able to go from a boxer that takes hits to the face for a living to one that doesnt get hit anymore at all. the coach is already an unreasonable fuck who ruined ippo's life because of his shit coaching, but allowing him to continue would just be too much.

>can't into moon
link me your source and I'll tell you if you're right in general

Ippo is just under a lot of stress. I predict that he won't get in the ring for another year or so. Sendo and Miyata will get a crack at fighting Ricardo and both lose.
Within that time, Ippo will fight the greatest opponent he's ever fought. Himself.

soz.matchupp.com/?p=10147

Remember with Nekota it came and went.

Sounds like he does draw a relatively straight line, berates himself for not making it *perfectly* straight, but did it well enough that they're beginning to think it's psychosomatic.

If Ippo does take a month off and does some thinking, something might actually happen during that time that makes him cross the line. The series might actually enter it's final phase now

>Ippo
>thinking

All I know is that means we get at least one kumi chapter. and those are always nice.

Well I hope its different from the usual Mashiba interrupts them and puts Ippo down chapter.

when are we getting more of the regular?

I really hope Morikawa focuses on the psychological issues boxers must go through when faced with the existential crisis of whether or not to get back in the ring again. It would suck a lot if he made ippo out to having brain damage only to magixally get better BUT, I wouldn't mind seeing him be psychologically unfit and so Ippo's gotta find a new drive to bring him back in. He's in a weird place now and I hope Morikawa doesn't fuck it up

youtube.com/watch?v=uuDQtRDbmlE

Presumably never, or at least in very small doses over a long period of time. Kojima's current state of living (or the fact that he managed to fight at a high level with one hand, or both) might inspire Ippo somehow. Kojima is classifiable as actually "broken", which could give Ippo a little more perspective on what he has left.

Doubt it. Morikawa loves slow build ups. I know he'll make it work and not disappoint. Ippo will become the best he's ever been after he defeats himself.

I think ippo get weaker since the one punch match where ippo hit in fury his opponent

Possibly he held back ever since, not to mention his hesitancy to cross the monster line.

>faced with the existential crisis of whether or not to get back in the ring again

Ippo faced such thing when his mother collapse and he is going to retire to take over the family business.

He faced it again when he couldn't fight miyata.

>1100+ chapters
>Ippo is now going to learn the hidden secret of boxing, move your fucking head out of the way

Remember Takamura's eye? It's just a prank bro, his eye is totally fine, there is no war in Ba Sing Se

you guys are getting a different impression than I am

it seems to me ippo is trying to hide his damage ala takamura

Here's my prediction

Ippo will try to perfect a defensive boxing because of the fear of head trauma. He will be successful for the most part, and is able to think like an outboxer does, fight like an outboxer does. Dempsey roll isn't seen.
However he develops a glass jaw and eventually someone lands a good hit to the head, knocking him out.
Que 80 chapters of recovery and Ippo goes full crazy and decides to combine the two styles as his final bet because he knows that he'll die or some shit and it fuels his drive.
He returns to the ring pretty much 'complete' in a sense that he utilises everything that he's learned over the years.
This also marks the reveal of the 720° octagonal Dempsey Corkscrew Roll, and later an upgraded version of that, utilising outboxing. Somehow.

Ippo couldn't win a round against a rookie if he fought like an out boxer, he lacks everything one needs to do it

His style could be more defensive, but I doubt the coach will change his teachings. The one time when Ippo figured a way to combine defense with offence was when the coach wasn't around.

This is just another way of telling the readers that the series is reaching it's end. Most of the characters entered their end game anyway, now it is Ippo who is doing so.

hippo vs itakagi when?

my prediction, they fight a big match, the best ever, but one of them die on the ring and the manga end with the other boxer alive in depression and retiring from boxing forever

Maybe Ippo is right and it's because of the headgear while the coach doesn't know that.

Ippo already promised himself that his next lose will be his last in the ring, he can't completely harm himself since he has to think about his future after boxing and this mother's job.

To be honest, it was always annoying to me how "gentle" Ippo his, especially for a In fighter for him with incredible strength.
That's why the arc when he was actually angry and hyper aggressive as his opponent was one of his best fight for me IMO.

He really need to cross that fucking line and become a fucking monster that literally destroy his opponent and send them to the hospital, he has the strength for it.

They should change the main character to Sendo

Carlos Rivera in Ashita no Joe. He was punch drunk after his fight with Joe and when Jose fought him he fucked him up enough to cause permanent brain damage

It will be another gag where everyone gets mad at Takamura yet again. It was the headgear's fault all along

I really need to start reading Ashina no Joe...

It would be genuinely beautiful if Takamura's boasting and doomsaying backfired and HE got smashed out of the ring and Ippo has to make up for it by taking the world title.

The girl in Buyuden gets her eye socket fucked and has to quit

>you'll never get so brain damaged yoajdj asdjfsd dasfj
At least I know that I'm jnfa jkd

You think so?
Loosing Takamura would be bad for the series as a whole since he's one of the pillar of the series, heck he's probably more popular than Ippo.

"You're headed toward a great fall". Well, at least the Woli fight was worth SOMETHING.

Takamura is going to lose to a champion that uses the same black magic techniques as Aoki and he is going to go into a deep depression.

Well just make Ippo retire then
I don't care to be honest

Guts vs Ippo when?

Does anybody else just fucking hate Takamura?
I've hated him since the David Eagle fight.

He got too arrogant. Eagle should have won.

He has his moments, but his jokes have become far too stale and crude. Part of me wants to believe that this holds some kind of significance to his character development as he himself realizes the development of his career and the situation of the gym overall.

I liked when Ippo was just PUNCH HARDER KID, OXYGEN INTO MUSCLES, YAMATO DAMASHI and wasn't trying to be a faux clone of Ashita no Joe that we all know won't really go anywhere since this is Morikawa George that's maining the ship.

Wonder where all of this will end up.

We're almost fucking 1200 chapters in, you'd think he'd have mellowed out, be more respectful as a champion, more humble because of how the people he's fighting are on equal ground, or something.
There has never been any character development at all with him. It's just:
Stupid fucking dick / fart jokes, here's a tip how to punch harder kid, Weight management sure is hard, I'mma get you that belt, I'mma beat the shit out of him, I'm getting the shit beaten out of me, I win.

HE SHOULD HAVE!
Its fucking ridiculous what this mangaka thinks Boxers should power through, there is a point where health HAS to take priority ffs and if your face looks like Ippos after every fight you should QUIT!

Miyata was bleeding out of his fucking ears in a fight and his father let him continue.

I think you are exaggerating, he is fine, this is fine, everything is fine.

They are gonna introduce a sports psychologist as the answer to Ippo's problems

holy fuck. was this in the spar between volg and ippo? that looks like Ippo was decapitated.

Yes, and it was also described as "just sticking your fist out". If Vorg actually had punched, Impo would be 6 feet under already.

>inner ear infection
Top kek 10/10

It was pretty bullshit that he defeated a champion that was holding back his punches for half the match with both his eyes closed.

It also would've been nice since Takamura said that Eagle was just like Ippo, and it would've showed that Takamura's dumbass "rage/instinct only" boxing doesn't always work on the world stage.

He got shown that with Hawk when his training took over. That was 800 chapters ago.

Eagle also was just a cool ass character.

Oh, you're right. Guess i forgot.

That's reasonable. It was forever ago. Takamura only goes "MUH TRAINING" when his opponent pushes him far enough. Happened with Hawk and Eagle. Bison was more Takamura thinking about how to counter on the fly.

Well that is exactly what Sawamura did, he countered the dempsey with a full body right and Ippo somehow took that and won the match.

The first time he took it, Ippo was downed, wasn't he?

Vorg downed him by sticking out his fist, but Sawamura couldn't. Sawamura's first counter fucked Ippo up almost as bad though and he could have killed him right there, but Ippo never wen't down. And that was just Sawamura's left hand, his right counter should have done more damage.

Ippo expected the counter and turned his head didn't he? Pretty sure that was the huge deal about that.

Ippo is based on Tyson as a fighter, and Tyson had the best defense in the world, possibly ever, until Maywether came along.

I think the issue is going to end up being a combination of Ippo being slightly punch druk and SIGNIFICANTLY overworked. Ippo literally trains night and day, I think we're going to get a few chapters of Ippo working on the boat, going out with Kumi and generally taking time off before things pick up again. In the mean time there will be Sendo's match.
Ippo will have an neurological exam and it will come out that he's at risk if he keeps taking hits the way he does, so he'll work on his defense and stop getting hit. I've given up on Kamogawa being called out on his shitty training but hopefully Morikawa won't drop the ball with Ippo.

>best defense in the world, possibly ever, until Maywether
Why didn't tyson just use a gun?