What's everyone's opinions on coloured manga here? I'm not talking about fan colours...

What's everyone's opinions on coloured manga here? I'm not talking about fan colours, but official coloured releases like with JoJo and Yugioh.
Pic related, Death Note looks great in colour.

I like having one of the first pages in color. Especially for female characters. It makes the rest of the manga better to me.

I think that some coloured pages are a nice addition to the weekly or monthly releases.

I assume it's for a special occasion or when the manga did particularly well in the popularity polls.

If we're talking about a full coloured manga however, I don't really enjoy it. It lacks the intensity of black and white.

Regarding Death Note, it's looks great.

If the original is black-and-white, it's generally designed with that in mind and is best left that way.

I think it's dope and I'm sure most do as well, being black and white became part of the medium which started as a way to save money to put it that way but that doesn't mean the medium can't evolve and eventually become more common with the color usage, preferably on special editions and whatnot. If people didn't like the color usage, publishers wouldn't make that big of a deal about special color pages every now and then.

And let's be honest, proper color usage can exponentially help a manga's readability and make things easier and more comfortable to the reader's eye. I think it would be ideal if mangaka kept doing their thing as is but got deals to get a special colored edition published as I said by some third party, like Akira got it. That way mangaka don't have to suffer any further with deadlines and release schedules.

Also, this sort of argument is rather common but I don't agree with it, intensity can be easily achieved with color and even be improved to convey even more emotion and expressiveness. And just like there are countless art styles done by mangaka there are also many coloring styles that can fit all sorts of manga art. I think it's simply ignorance and that sort of fear of change that mostly drive these sort of arguments.

Official recolors are disgusting deviantart-tier trash, you filthy namefag.

I agree that color can be used well, and I generally don't have an issue with actual color manga, but I generally find that coloring a black-and-white manga just changes the effect too much. I won't comment on the Imperial Guards one because the early art was sort of different anyway, but that Dorohedoro doesn't have the same feel as the original art, honestly. The switch from having a preponderance of black everywhere to a normal variance in colors is not a minor thing.

What's the point of being so close minded and contrarian? You know you're just spouting nonsense.

>literally one person in the thread who likes full recolors
>somehow others are the contrarians

I love the full colour scans Shueisha puts out, though that should be obvious considering what scanlation team I'm from.
Fuck, JoJo looks great in colour.

Some mangaka's art styles really don't work with it, like Fuyumi Soryo. Some of those color pages in ES were just the worst

> considering what scanlation team I'm from

>google "MistaL Jojo"
>get Facebook pages using your name as a hashtag
Jesus Christ.

I feel like your Dorohedoro comment doesn't make that much sense when then artist herself is the one that has done tons of colored pages to fit her own personal art style. Not to mention that she is damn good at it and doesn't an amazing job to amplify her style and the atmosphere of the manga. Sadly I could not find any proper colored pages as example but notice how the color goes off the panels and there are drips here and there making it look messy, if that's not keeping in with the style I don't know what is. The less use of 'black' for this example alone is not a proper counter argument in my opinion and there's obviously gonna be less black 'less ink' and whatnot but I do think that's a minor thing and doesn't take away from anything.

>others
I was only referring to that user ('you' incase that's you) because that is a very close minded comment and definitely adds nothing to the discussion.

>Official recolors are disgusting deviantart-tier trash, you filthy namefag.

Also, see some examples from Blame! which has an extremely predominant dark atmosphere and use of ink. I'd say it looks just as good and 'in' style.

Considering how easy it would be to distinguish your manga from the sea of average b+w trasg why isnt it more common to have full culour manga?

> I feel like your Dorohedoro comment doesn't make that much sense when then artist herself is the one that has done tons of colored pages to fit her own personal art style.
What? How does that affect what I said at all? All I said is that it has a different feel, whether Hayashida colored it or the editor's cousin's dog colored it has no bearing on that statement.
>The less use of 'black' for this example alone is not a proper counter argument in my opinion and there's obviously gonna be less black 'less ink' and whatnot but I do think that's a minor thing and doesn't take away from anything.
Then we're not going to agree, because I think the it's very different. It's like if you colored a Kuroda Iou manga or something - the whole feel of the thing is changed by not having darkness dominating like it does in the original.

Most stuff released in the west is full colour so there no real reason japan to do the same?

Because it's expensive? And it doesn't actually do much to "distinguish" it. Hell, Gelatin is full of nothing but full-color series, and like five people on Sup Forums even know that magazine exists.

In general it's really cool, but some artists don't know how to color for their own style, so it comes out looking like a mess.

It takes a long time and it's expensive as hell. The tools that mangaka use to make their art don't come cheap.

It's shit.

But Dorohedoro is not Blame!, yes there's a lot of black but I don't think it's as predominant all around as you're making it out to be, and even if it is that doesn't mean every single page and panels has it, in this case the place in which this page occurs.

What I'm saying is that there's a common argument by people that says 'Color simply wouldn't work with the art style' and I think that's simply bullshit when you have countless examples of the artists themselves adding colors to their own works. Like it's right there, the creator itself made it work, it's their style, therefore it works, whether you like it as much would be another thing. Which I'd also argue is kinda bullshit but that's another discussion and way more subjective.

So its in west the comics with high production value are monetized as widely as possible and in japan they go for lowest possible production value and sell very locally.

The only full color manga I've read is HotD and I think the color really enhanced the art. On most series though the occasional color pages are a nice bonus but I think that color isn't really necessary.

> Like it's right there, the creator itself made it work, it's their style, therefore it works
Not him, but this is a silly argument and I'm almost sure you already realize that no one who says "it wouldn't work" means it in such a pointlessly literal sense.

To me AKIRA is pretty good because it has a very "western" style architecture and mechanical design to it, so using colors like Moebius and others from the European scene feels great, but I didn't like it one bit in JoJo even if the negative colored pages are good.

I like when color isn't 100% correct but it is used more to convey the feeling of the page like some colored pages in Gundam The Origin, Yas has a great understanding of colours.

I think it depends on the series and the author.

For example DN looks great there and that kind of coloring fits the series.

But I love how Amano colors her manga, it fits her artstyle perfectly even when it's not super detailed and whatnot

I simply simplified the argument as 'It wouldn't work', I just realized I should've been more specific because that can speak about the finiancial side of publishing colored manga and whatnot but that's not what I'm talking about my bad. the 'It wouldn't work' was meant for the people that comment about 'color' simply not fitting with mangaka's art style and that sort of idea that manga is designed exclusively to work black and white and there's no way to make it work with color or work around it to make it look nicely.

I think the type of coloring also gives the series a very nice vibe

Depends on the colouring and artstyle, I guess. Nagai's works look pretty good in colour.

You'd have to either convince the publisher to give you all color pages in the magazine (not happening) or serialize it online and convince them to print volumes in full color (not unheard of, but very rare). The alternative is only publishing your volumes as ebooks, which means most people will never know it exists.

In the west comics are expensive and nobody reads them.

In Japan, manga is dirt cheap and everybody reads it.

The desire to publish full colour would have to come from the publisher, no?

>And it doesn't actually do much to "distinguish" it

"Color" and "detail" are poor man's excuse for not having a good story for the work. When there are good stories, those things like "color" and "detail" are negligible to the work. However for shit works, those thing make it good. So in truth, there are no use for color other than to pry through a shit work.

Colored pages are cool when they come around but I much prefer the black and white.

>Nobody reads comics

Batman Rebirth sold 357,000 copies on its first release.

Is this bait? You're not proving him wrong.

I always thought comic book nerds were a hoax, I've never seen one.

Hell, I don't think I've seen a store that sells comics, besides Barnes and Nobles

That's retarded, everything you mentioned are elements of comics as a medium, whether you value story more than the drawings doesn't mean that's how it is for everybody or in general.

Do you not have eyes?! Did you not see the details or the better details from the Line Graph Sketch to the Painting?!!!

Bleach volume 73 sold 400000 copies, and it won't even get into the top 100 best sellers 2016

Im not sure berserk looks that good with color. I mean this page is more intense as black and white.

JoJo looks really bad in color and it annoys me that the color scans are becoming what most people recommend new readers. The original black and white looks amazing, especially with the later scan quality of JoJo Project's release of SBR and the little they did of Part 5.

I don't mind the pages colored by Araki that appeared in Jump here or there, but I can't stand the new edition stuff.

You don't know that because you haven't seen that page colored by a professional. You're just assuming it wouldn't work, which is honestly, wrong as fuck. That page could look even more intense if properly colored.

I love it.

Dragon Ball in color is fucking gorgeous, pic related; though the original in BW is still really pretty too. Wish there were more high res scans of the color volumes, the ones pic related is from only goes to the end of the saiyan saga, and then I lost them and can't find them again anyways

In the case of Jojo, it's not so much that it looks nicer, so much that it makes it more readable. There's a lot of panels in parts 5/6/7/8 that can be hard to dicpher in BW that in color are a lot easier to understand at a glance

Both the publisher and author would have to want to do it. It's a huge amount of time and money for both of them.

I'd have to say it has more to do with the art than the color though, this guy is pretty fucking good.

Really? It feels like a sea of red over guts head would look weird. You may be right though. Ive seen some good colorings before.

>but official coloured releases like with JoJo and Yugioh
So the fan colours then? Because that's essentially all they still are. If they weren't coloured by the mangaka from the get go I do not want to read it over the original b&w. Jojo's are especially bad, since they seem to want to continue the weird trends the covers have, regardless of how appropriate or stupid they look, like every character having bright lipstick despite that clearly just being a stylistic thing for covers.

>radioactive goo pouring from her crotch
WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
I wonder though how come Blame wasn't as creepily lewd as some of the shit you see in his artbooks. It's a little fucked up but something about his somewhat disturbing non-human babes kind of arouses me.

Were can i read these?