This show is excruciating. I know it's meant to be relaxing...

This show is excruciating. I know it's meant to be relaxing, but it crosses the line from "relaxing" into "extremely boring" at 90mph and keeps going, hurtling at breakneck pace towards "ennui-inducing sedative" territory.

Not a single character in this show has anything to them at all beyond a single trait.

How is the third series of this show one of the most revered and highly-rated anime of all time? Does it get better? I'm on episode 8 of Aria: The Animation and I don't think I can take any more 20 minute doses of a boat moving slowly around.

On top of it all, Akari is just annoying. Imagine inviting Akari to a party. "Hey, good party, right Akari?" you'd say. Then she'd burst out crying and say "Maybe... maybe it's a miracle that we're all here, all of us together at this party. I'm so happy." And you'd be like, "uhhh, it's just a party dude", then you'd feel uneasy the rest of the night while that saccharine pink haired idiot sobs with ecstasy in the corner.

Non Non Biyori kicks the everloving shit out of this.

Read the manga.

I agree
But if some people need "healing" whathever this is supposed to heal then good for them

You need a certain mental maturity to enjoy it. I was too childish when I picked up Aria for the first time.
But 5 years later I loved it.

Maybe you went senile or got hit on the head in the intervening 5 year period.

Maybe.

Oh boy, don't even get started with Amanchu, OP.

>Hey, good party, right Akari?
Teko would answer that question by internal monologuing her insecurities.

Its the complete opposite, only damaged people can enjoy these works.
Your autism got worse from watching too much anime is what happened

It's not the best I've seen. I am at episode 12 of the first season, and I did end up liking it more than I liked it in the beginning, and found some enjoyment in some episodes, but with how people praise it, it may very well be one of the most overrated anime of all time.
It's not bad, but it's not really that amazing either. It's good at best.

>Then she'd burst out crying and say "Maybe... maybe it's a miracle that we're all here, all of us together at this party. I'm so happy." And you'd be like, "uhhh, it's just a party dude", then you'd feel uneasy the rest of the night while that saccharine pink haired idiot sobs with ecstasy in the corner.
That's why Aika's there to point out how lame she is.

I know that feel. I had to drop it too, made it 9 episodes or so in, couldn't stomach any more of it.
There's really no reason to force yourself to watch it just because it's popular, maybe it just didn't 'click' with us.

Aria is nice and comfy. If you find it boring its just not for you. Its an iyashikei and its a cartoon. Move on and watch some mindless shounen, I recommend maybe Naruto or Attack on Titan.

you clearly don't enjoy it, so don't watch it

Amano the author of Aria said in an interview that this kind of manga is for people who want something relaxing. Its intended for young adults and middle aged office workers to release the stress after a bad day or job.
If it bores you, drop it or read the manga, you might like it more than anime.

Wait until you're done with season 3. Aria is one of these shows that only really hits you hard when it's over and you look back on the relaxing nostalgic memories.

>Then she'd burst out crying and say "Maybe... maybe it's a miracle that we're all here, all of us together at this party. I'm so happy." And you'd be like, "uhhh, it's just a party dude", then you'd feel uneasy the rest of the night while that saccharine pink haired idiot sobs with ecstasy in the corner.
Have you never felt gratitude for having good people in your life? Feeling humbled by the thought that you are fortunate to have a roof over your head, money in your bank account and food in your belly? This is suppose to be a show that guides you to think like that.

Tokyo Ghoul is the right anime for you.

You must've enjoyed it so much to recommend it.

>getting assblasted over a chink cartoon for little girls
get a load of this fag

Fuck you leatherman

Because this isnt mindless?

Nah, the OP just sounds like someone who enjoys edgy, fast paced, mindless anime. Certainly not the type of person who I want to hang around or drink a cup of tea while watching the sun set and remembering some nostalgia and the beautiful scenery.

stop trying to marathon it, asstard. there's a reason everyone who recommends this series says not to watch it all in one sitting. relaxation is only effective if taken in moderate doses. watch 1-2 episodes a day and leave it at that.

dumb fishposter

Was planning to take a break from Aria after I finish the first season. I may get back to it eventually, when I finish some other SoL, though.
Finishing Tamayura and YKK is higher on my priority list as far as comedyless SoL goes, so Aria will have to wait.

There are more types of anime than mindless shounen action and Aria, you know. For example, comedies, or deep stuff, or things with character development.

I don't like battle shounen either. That's why I picked something like Aria in the first place. My favourite anime of all time is still Azumanga Daioh, and I chose Aria because it sounded like it might be in the same vein, a sort of chilled out Azumanga. I dropped that expectation halfway through the first episode to let it grow on me with it's own merits, and it just isn't doing so at all.

It's interesting that these are called "healing" or "soothing" shows, because I was decidedly un-soothed. Let me describe my relaxing Aria experience:
I start an episode. My stomach turns, anticipating the tedium ahead.
The episode proceeds as I fight to stay awake. Despite striving to keep my eyes open, I inevitably fall asleep in a weird position in the chair, making my neck go stiff. Opposite of healing.
If I make it to the end of an episode, I close the video and then just lie on my floor, anguish-stricken, knowing that 24 precious minutes are gone forever. Not soothed.

Yes. I actually agree with Akari's philosophy, and she's still pissing me off every time she opens her mouth to make another insufferable observation about how wonderful her life and her one-dimensional friends are. I can't even imagine how much she'd be getting on my nerves if I didn't fundamentally agree with what she's saying.

She does it non-stop though, a trite twee phrase machine. You could probably punch her in the mouth and she'd launch into a 5 hour soliloquy on the wonders of being alive.

I love how anime is apparently a binary between "boring boats" and "edgy fast paced [mindlessness]" to you.

I've been watching one a day.

Okay. Thanks, Doc.

Nope. Read the interview from the manga author where she talks about it. Aria is way more than mindless. Its intention is to sooth the audience. You need the right mindset to enjoy it. Its the same thing as Only Yesterday anime. A niche title, but the older you are the more you appreciate it.

>This show is excruciating. I know it's meant to be relaxing, but it crosses the line from "relaxing" into "extremely boring" at 90mph and keeps going, hurtling at breakneck pace towards "ennui-inducing sedative" territory.
>Not a single character in this show has anything to them at all beyond a single trait.
>How is the third series of this show one of the most revered and highly-rated anime of all time? Does it get better? I'm on episode 8 of Aria: The Animation and I don't think I can take any more 20 minute doses of a boat moving slowly around.
>On top of it all, Akari is just annoying. Imagine inviting Akari to a party. "Hey, good party, right Akari?" you'd say. Then she'd burst out crying and say "Maybe... maybe it's a miracle that we're all here, all of us together at this party. I'm so happy." And you'd be like, "uhhh, it's just a party dude", then you'd feel uneasy the rest of the night while that saccharine pink haired idiot sobs with ecstasy in the corner.
This is all incorrect. ARIA is a great anime.
>Non Non Biyori kicks the everloving shit out of this.
This is, however, correct.

Who cares about what the author thinks?
This is mindless and boring I dont care what they intended, they failed

The older I get the less I can stand these slow shows actually
Im 35
Maybe it goes up and down

fucking ESL

Thats pretty stupid to force yourself to watch it.Just drop it and move on. Its clearly not for you.

I used to watch an episode of Aria to battle my insomnia. Sometimes, I would doze off in the middle of the episode because of how comfy it is. That's a good thing.

Wasn't a fan when I was watching S1 but I really liked Natural.

For you. Now move on and stop wasting your live complaining about cartoons. If you dont like it just watch something else.

And prefered it to Origination to be honest.

Ill complain all I want, this is not a hugbox
Complaning and praising are both important, I dont care if an opposing opinion upsets you

You are the right age for Only Yesterday. I recommend you watc it and if you will not appreciate it (not neccessarily enjoy) then your mind is not as mature as you might think.

Not every Aria thread has to be a circlejerk.

I think judging peopleĀ“s state of maturity by the shows the enjoy is highly immature.

I don't really understand how someone could not like this if they aren't the type to enjoy shit like Naruto. It's the story of a few really cute girls in an absolutely beautiful, futuristic city, working a job that many of us could only dream of. The soundtrack is serene, the visuals are not incredible or anything, but the art is really nice, and again, the girls are cute. What is there not to like about Aria?

watching aria just left me more depressed coming out then when I did coming in.

It certainly upsets you, if you are still complaining about it or watching it. Its just a fucking cartoon. You are either a child or a manchild. Choose now.

>no u

At least try

Free punctuation:
' . , ? : ;
Free capital letters:
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Take whatever you need.

we are all manchildren here

Are you lost, buddy?

Nah, if people in their 20's like pokemon, naruto and code geass I will think they are immature.

And if they think Serial Experiments Lain, Only Yesterday and Hyouge Mono is boring, then they are certainly not very smart. Dumb probably.

Please remove the semicolon; nobody knows how to use it.

The sidekick character made it unwatchable for me. I can't enjoy a universe where such a creepy cat exists.

Season 1: "This is so boring, why this so popular, just gonna sleep."
Season 2: "Alright, let's continue, so good there is 2 cour this season"
Season 3: "WHAT IS SHE DOING TO HER SECOND GLOVE ?! OH MY GOD"

That goes against what most people on this board agree on
That you can enjoy cute things being silly because it heals you and its cute

So I strongly disagree lets leave it at that
ps Lain was boring

>i went to high school
nicely done, friendo

Good double but who are you quoting?

What if I'm a teen and I like Lain because it's deep?

Well op, there's really not much else to say, i understand you not enjoying aria, but Sup Forums is general holds the show very close to its heart ever since /ab/ days.
Doubt it you will be able to get any kind of thread going really.

Ofc it bored you. You need to watch something dumb where you turn your brain off to not be bored.

OP here, I'll go ahead and say I thought Lain was boring too. Really enjoyed the visuals in the first episode when it seemed like Lain was losing her mind in class, but after that it quickly descended into a very plodding, monotonous plot that was somehow simultaneously overwrought and shallow.

It's pretty grim to prescribe certain shows which you'll allow yourself to enjoy based on your age, because you're both missing out on a lot of fantastic shows aimed at a younger audience and also, transparently to everyone except yourself, giving undue credit to shows which you've deemed worthy of your age.

I'm 28, just for reference.

You are so simple.

People who like Lain because its "deep" are just as immature as those who think Lain is "boring. You just dont understand the quality of its writing and directing. You are clearly a teen still, yes.

Thank god I'm not the only one. Aria bored the crap out of me.

Lain is shallow ? You certainly dont understand it then, if you truely think this.

>call something boring
>people who like it immediately suggest popular brainless action shows
>as if everything that gets called "boring" because it's slow and not because it is just as brainless without anything else to compensate
every time

If that is your actual age, then this is just sad.

Who are you quoting?

Must be. It can't be that the show's symbolism (which is what I referred to as overwrought) is very basic and plot very sparse, or that it's extremely dated to the late 90s, it must be that I'm too much of a dipshit to get it, unlike you.

I know, right? I wish I could be more like you, you're the one who really gets it.

I'd love to see a shot by shot exploration of Lain's thematic and textual depth, and why it needed to be so long, because I never see it in Lain threads. But I do get cute Lain pictures, people saying "Lain is love, Lain is life," and gifs from that one trippy Lain site.

Today I've learned that nobody over a certain age is able to experience boredom, and anyone who is ever bored by anything is a mental child.

You have no clue. You need to watch more anime and expand your knowledge on animation and history in general. Start with some Dezaki from 70's and move from there. When you watched at least 500+ anime then say thins again.

Did we ever come to a consensus on which Naruto character has the greatest pain?

There are tons of reviews and 20 pages analysis on Lain. Google a little. Lain is not dated. Its one of the best 90's anime and its an essential and iconic titles. You dont like it yes, but its still critically acclaimed. Deal with it.

And all you have to say is "watch more anime." It's so easy, isn't it? Get a grip.

You are the only sad person in this thread, a judgmental sad person

Wait, how can I appreciate the depth of Lain without some understanding of its writing? This is confusing.

A case of godfather sucks syndrome
Did you drop the show OP?

>you need to watch 100s of awful mecha shows, then anything looks good in comparison!
How about just watching the 100s of anime that are already good, even without needing to compare them to absolute trash to make them good in comparison?

>critically acclaimed
What critics? How many anime "critics" are there? And why should we put more stock in their opinions than ours? Roger Ebert gave Revenge of the Sith 3.5/4 stars and elaborately detailed why. And none of it changes that Sup Forums's Lain fanbase is too dumb to come up with their own conclusions about the show, so they don't and they stick to calling Lain cute. You think because some autist wrote 20 pages on why MLP is a masterpiece makes it so?

Reminder that Akari wants that salamnder cock.

Just from S1 I remember the camping trip and New Years episode as being great. My favorite S1 episode is pic related. It's just so sad that they won't always be able to hang out like they used to.

I enjoyed Lain's SciFi and philosophical pondering more so than the actual plot,
which does come off as overwrought at times.
The visuals are also a strong point for the series and are very memorable to his day.

Maybe try watching it again sometime with that mindset ? Unlike Aria I would actually recommend Lain.

Sup Forums's Lainfags are the type to see someone else's analysis and make it their own. They don't really attempt to critique the show.

ITT: how to trigger Sup Forums

A lot of Aria's appeal is in the setting. The anime really makes Neo Venezuela come to life. It's one of the reasons it's much better than Amanchu. It doesn't spend so much time on internal monologues and just does a pan along the scenery while playing some music.

>Non Non Biyori kicks the everloving shit out of this.
Agreed. Non Non Biyori is far superior.

Trigger should go over the wikipedia article for animation sometime

More garish colours and louder sound. Anything else?

I know right, and I wasn't even trying. Was hoping for some fans to describe what they saw in the show. Which about five people have done, but otherwise I'm getting told I'm a retard who can't get the deeper meaning of boats going round canals, too old to get it, too young to get it, or otherwise brain damaged.

What would Akari say?!

Agreed on the visuals, that was the aspect that kept me watching to the end. The philosophy seemed very dated to me, though, as I mentioned in my other post. It's tied strongly to that sort of late 90s existential nihilism and concern about identity in the age of rapidly progressing technology (which I never bought into much anyway).

> why it needed to be so long

One season is long now?

>Non Non Biyori
>garish colours
>louder sound

>What would Akari say?!
HAHII

For ADHD children, it is.

Narrative-based analysis of art is fundamentally based on autistic ideals.

What exactly did you not buy into? The literal undeniable fact that in a world of ever increasing population, the individual has much less meaning? Or the question of whether our existence has any meaning at all, which obviously dates back much further than the 90s in just about every way?

You're retarded.

Also, how boring is this show? Mushishi-level or even worse?

literally how is mushishi boring? I cannot imagine what part of you is mentally under-developed to find something like mushishi boring

Well, try to discuss that in a Lain thread, then.

>But I do get cute Lain pictures, people saying "Lain is love, Lain is life," and gifs from that one trippy Lain site.

That's what happens when threads are being made non-stop for a ~20-year old series that is only 13 episodes long. No matter how deep or though-provoking something is, after a while there's just nothing really left to discuss.

As boring as the state of cinematic art after the artificial imposition of psuedo-literary forms in the 1910's.