How do Catholics explain the thief on the cross?

well? the thief believed in Jesus and was saved.. no baptism or works.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MIPVInwgSR8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invincible_ignorance_(Catholic_theology)
strawpoll.me/embed_1/13786473
youtube.com/watch?v=B8M9J4szTTY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_(moon)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Idk he literally met God

end/thread
god job maplebro

Explain? because Catholics teach that people must be baptized, repent and do good works.

the thief did neither, he believed on the Lord, just like Abraham, David, etc.

What's wrong with repenting, getting baptized and doing good works?

what book like matthew, john ect. and chapter verse pls.

Sometimes just repenting can be enough to get on God's good side

Luke 23:39-43:

>And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.

>But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?

>And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.

>And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.

>And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.

who gives a fuck what your imaginary magic man did

youtube.com/watch?v=MIPVInwgSR8

Their is no criteria to become saved. Just excepting. The church encourages good works and deed then in the 14th15th century the Catholic church became corrupted and so on.

God's a very dynamic person
He could say don't work on Sunday
Then say, work on Sunday is ok if it needs to be done.

Basically, God uses common sense, logic, mercy. The strict rules of the church are not so strict in God's view. God can forgive and save whoever he feels deserves it.

>being this retarded
Although Jesus was the son of God he lived in the world as just a man and did things (except being perfect and freeing us of sin) that we would be able to do with enough faith in the father. The thief on the cross is a antithesis of the catholic baptism meme.

>43 And Jesus said to him: Amen, I say to thee, this day thou shalt be with me in paradise.
Because god said so, thats why.

Jesus was NOT the son of god, Jesus ISN'T REAL

you fucking dumbass

He would've repented, be baptized and started doing good works if he wasn't you know, DYING TIED TO A CROSS.

liberal reditor alert

Why the heck haven't english speakers bothered retranslating the Bible into current day English (whether American or Britain), or at least haven't made a current language using version widespread, again?

I don't understand this explanation.. are you saying that God made an exception to this one guy to save him anyway? it makes no sense.

Baptism is symbolic of death when you are submerged, and resurrection when you come out of the water. It's symbolic of death and rebirth in Christ (salvation)

Because it's symbolic, it's not needed to do a water baptism. Also, you cannot baptise children because baptism must be an act of free will, a desire to be saved.

Baptising someone who has no idea what that means won't do a thing

did your magic book tell you magic man is real?

you're going to die and be buried and rotting in the ground, just like everyone else

But what about the baby who would've repented, been baptized, and done good works had he not been born in a Muslim nation and died in infancy?

Cus liberals would infiltrate and rewrite it to there benefit.

God makes exceptions all the time, not this one guy.

There are tons of versions, but people prefer versions that aren't watered down.

Forgot to tip your fedora, user

Damn le redditor is mad. In the end of time we will see who is right. Until then.

>people prefer versions that aren't watered down.
You mean, they intentionally complicate the language to make it sound mystical and important, when actually the original text is written on the level of an illiterate peasant

By "people prefer the versions that aren't watered down", you mean, "people prefer the versions that are practically unintelligible to a modern person"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invincible_ignorance_(Catholic_theology)

Easy question
Easy answer

What is God?
God is love, God is mercy

How would love and mercy behave?

By giving you free will to choose heaven or hell.

God does not damn anyone, but those who choose to be damned, by their own guilt, pride, and rejection of God's eternal love.

You judge yourself, you cast your self into hell or accept God's gift of eternal life. It's you're choice, baptism or not.

Because Jesus was still alive and the new Church had not begun until after his death

how did the thieves even know who Jesus was?

and traditional Catholics follow whatever god says, scripture and tradition is the faith, traditional catholicism is the faith.

no, im saying god obviously willed it, thee end.
>are you saying that God made an exception to this one guy to save him anyway?

thats your self-interpretation of what i said, no, im saying god said it, so it was done.

when does God ever make an exception to salvation? in Romans 8 it says that God did not even spare his own son, why would he make an exception to a random criminal that believed in God?

Protestants make all kinds of them full of heresies and misleading things. To be honest there is no good english translation, KJV is best weve got. Gotta learn greek to really read it right, though i hear spanish has a good translation.

>exception
Its not really an exception because that was a person god was directly bringing to heaven, the very same day no less. What a christian gets is a get-out-of-judgement-free card when jesus returns, untill that day they are as dead as everyone else. Only a few select people get to go right to heaven as soon as they 'die' (they are not considered dead).

So what christianity teaches is how to do the former thing. The latter thing is just god can beam someone up if he deems them worthy (saints for example)

Because God is love

No. When translation happens translators like to cut and trim text to smaller bits. It's like trimming a 3 hour movie down to 1 1/2 hour movie. The story is still their but a lot is left out.

Making it more simple can make it lose meaning. Nothing is holding anyone back from looking up the simple english version if they cannot understand other versions.

strawpoll.me/embed_1/13786473

I'm still curious

So you're saying we don't immediately go to heaven when we die?

KJV was not common language when it was first translated. Its always been intended to sound the way it currently sounds, which is no more similar to our modern language than it was the language of the time. Its supposed to sound ancient and authoritative.

It also happens to be the best translation (of the new testament) in english.

>the bible is real because it says it's real
>the bible is real because so many people believe it's real
>the bible is real because religious people have more babies than nonreligious people
this is what Christians actually believe

Been me up Scotty.

>Its supposed to sound ancient and authoritative.
Exactly, it's supposed to sound all mystical and shit, when in fact it's a bunch of lies

The dead stay dead untill the judgement, anything else is heterodox heresy.

shut up, the adults are talking.

Retarded user. Don't straw man Christian with fake info.

Have a (You), user, and may God bless you today

>2017
>Being a blasphemer
wew

Uh oh, they're believing heresy.

Better go start a massive fucking war that slaughters millions of people

Purgatory before Heaven with few exceptions (aborted aince you had 0 chance to make any decisions and martyrdom since you're giving your life up for another, and one you don't even know exists are the two I can think of off of the too of my head)

He was saved because he suffered.

One question I have, how did the asshole God from the old testament become the loving God of the new testament? In the older books God is a dick, just fucking around with people, tormenting believers just for doubting him for a second and even making silly bets with Satan of all people, and suddenly he loves us all no matter how sinful we are.

>2017
>believing in sky-daddy
how retarded do you have to be. It's the modern world for fuck's sake

>the bible isn't real because the Zionist/modernist world media propagates so.
>the bible isn't real because so many mainstream people believe its not real.
>the bible isn't real because having babies means something.

this is what anti-Christians actually believe

Bullshit. Existence on Earth separate from God is suffering. We all suffer every day.

user crowds were there to mock Him and there was a sign above his head, I think they could figure it out.

there have been thousands of religions in the history of this world, every single one of them claims to be the truth
This is what propaganda does to the human brain.

You literally have to be a naive idiot to believe this shit

>2017AD
>Believing magic star dust created everything, and not an omnipotent intellectual being.

>how retarded do you have to be. It's the modern world for fuck's sake
The ((Modern world))

I don't agree about that, simply because it says that we go to be with the father.

What Protties are too autistic to understand is all the rules, all the sacraments in the Catholic church are intended to guide you to leading the best Christian life you can, at different stages in your life. There's also something called perfect contrition, which is almost impossible for us to achieve, but that thief in the condition he was in could do it. Ultimately, God in his perfect glory works above our understanding always.

which omnipitent being did it faggot? Which of the thousands of historical gods did it?

God, of course

god didn't like jewish people

What's the limbo of patriarchs? Or if we assume that he didn't even went there since he was with God the whole time, he went to heaven because of the baptism of desire or

>there have been thousands of religions in the history of this world.
All distorted accounts of adam and eve, pasted down from noah after the flood to his children, who wandered off [after babble] all across the world.

You're Naïve to believe in (the modern worlds) propaganda, heretic.

Thief showed humility, repentance, and faith, good enough.

Sacraments are the same; those who go through them were not literally crucified, but exhibit the same mentality of the thief.

Protestants also have same mentality of the thief.

oh, you mean these ones?

>All distorted accounts of adam and eve, pasted down from noah after the flood to his children, who wandered off [after babble] all across the world.
prove it faggot

Because I think you just pulled that out of your ass

the Christian God (undeniable proof in pic related)

That was, uh, really gay.

>implying any of those heathen deities could compare to mere angels
>implying George Washington would want to be seen as a god

>rational beings are counting on the fact that humans are irrational
sounds like Islam is the truth then

not believing Christ - yea sure that's your opinion
Thinking Jesus didn't exist - fucking ignorant

yeah, it was. Considering that war is what allowed the Ottoman empire to rape and enslave the Balkans for 500 years, something they still have never recovered from to this day

Thats some fucking heresy right there, is that actually real?

Islam is debunked in the picture, just keep reading.

yeah turns out your precious founders were pagan as fuck

if you ever wonder why they provided for blanket religious freedom instead of insisting on Christianity, now you know

Also apparently dumb.

>islam preaches through force
Oh yeah Christians would never use force to impose their religion on anybody

youtube.com/watch?v=B8M9J4szTTY

KJV is awful, and introduces more mistranslations from the Latin Vulgate

there are a bunch of English translations that have been translated from even older sources in Greek

the traditional catholic church teaches this, this is doctrine and teachings from Christ's church.. don't believe me, go visit and learn.

Because god so respects freewill

Yes, but we shouldn't just base our salvation off of that one case. We should strive to be like Christ, and that includes being baptized. That being said, you can be saved and not be baptized.

>because Catholics teach that people must be baptized, repent and do good works.

>John answered them all, "I baptize you with water. But one who is more powerful than I will come, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. -t. John the Baptist

because they believed themselves as god huh.
heretics

I don't care whose ass it came from, it's bullshit

religious people are stupid as fuck, mired in lies up to their necks

That's because the Catholic church is corrupted, just look at how evil the Popes are.

>The bible says

Matthew 23:9
"And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven."

>"Pope literally translates to "father".

there are pre-Christian pagan Greek oracles painted on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, aside Jewish prophets

Still the one true church of Jesus Christ.

Oh yeah SJW's, Atheist, satanic freemasonic jews would never use force to impose their religion beliefs on anybody.

Either the good guys [Catholics] are spanking the bad guys ((Anti-Christians)), or the Bad guys ((Anti-Christians)) are spanking the good guys, good vs evil.. you know.

They may be the original church but they have changed overtime, it's like converting to satanism then claiming to be a Christian.

>"And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven."

that's retarded and not intended to be literal, what about "Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you."

does that refer to God?

Wrong. Jesus himself said the gates of hell wouldn't prevail against it.

but I thought Christians were uniquely just and pure. Isn't that your evidence for why Christianity is the truth?

I suppose according to these metrics, Buddhism is the truest of all

The Catholic Church lost interest in saving souls and became more of a political figure. They insisted that you had to go through their priests and the like as a means of control. Even shut down translating scripture as a means of keeping people in the dark about the anti-christ atrocities they were committing.

The truth is, God never intended for a priest caste to become the people who decided who could and couldn't go to heaven. That is man's hubris.

The intention of the Cross was to meet you 99% of the way so all you had to do was repent, ask forgiveness of sins, and put faith in the Messiah. You don't need a priest, or "holy water" or any nonsense to get that. You can't give it to a baby. You can't pray some godless degenerate in your family into heaven by buying a truck load of candles from a church. It is purely personal and between God and the individual. Nobody deserves the salvation, that was the point of the cross, that was the 99% of the job taken care of. The only thing left is to admit your sins, believe in christ and confess your sins and then follow him.

The catholic church is a massive lie imposed on the masses, and now it is a means of control for many places in the world, including the east coast

That means calling someone else God and pope doesn't mean father. "Padre" in Italian and Portuguese that comes from the word Pater in Latin translated to English as priest is the word that actually means father. That's why sometimes English speakers say father when referring to a priest.
And even if the Catholic Church went satanic I would never abandoned it since Christ would never let that happen because it is the bride of Christ founded by God himself not by some butthurted faggot.

Matthew 16:18 - Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)

And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
That means the church will never be corrupted

actually came from an omnipotent beings mind. jesus christ.

unreligious people are actually very unrealistic, and moronic, they believe something can come from nothing for no reason, because it just happened, thats unrealistic and unreasonable, second dust/rocks cant change into Bactria, Bactria cant change into plants, plants cant change into animals, thats insane!! it goes against reality!

no it says youre dead until jesus comes to get you and drags your ass to judgement

>dust/rocks cant change into Bactria
everyone knows this.

Life needs oceans to evolve. The random combination and mixing of billions of particles is necessary for life to emerge. This is why scientists are looking for planets with water, since this is likely where life will arise. Europa is probably the best bet within the solar system

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_(moon)

*tips*