Apparently 1+2+3+4+5... continuing to infinity equals -1/12

>apparently 1+2+3+4+5... continuing to infinity equals -1/12

How can you take scientists seriously when they believe in bullshit like this? This is worse than Noahs ark

youtu.be/w-I6XTVZXww

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeta_function_regularization
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramanujan_summation
youtube.com/watch?v=jcKRGpMiVTw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandi's_series
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_series_theorem
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You're an idiot.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeta_function_regularization
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramanujan_summation

Why is this on pol? Go to sci. Go watch the video 3blue1brown made on this.

you must be brain washed if you honestly think adding positive natural numbers will end in a negative fraction

This is shitty bait. Read the references I provided you if you're actually confused.

>Ramanujan
>believing in poo maths

>Y-yeah I can do that math I just don't want to, p-poo!

lmao you probably cant do basic algebra

I study physics
I am currently doing least-square fits with numerical linear algebra to model solutions of diff equations

>watching Numberphile
How does it feel to be a fucking brainlet?

Ahh so you do poo math then, since math was invented by the Middle East? Retard go back to Intro to Physics

That's some beginner shit right there. No wonder you have no clue about Ramanujan's work

The "normal" sum of the positive integers is infinity. That's not a normal sum, it is the pop-sci interpretation of the value of a certain complex function in -1, complex function obtained by extending a function which for complex numbers with real part > 1 is defined as the sum on n of 1/n^s with s complex.

>math was invented by middle-east
first, poos live in India and they shit in the street
the Middle-East had civilizations like Babylon, Sumer, Assyria etc with Persia further east
even the Arabic empires were civilized compared to shitting-in-the-streets India

also, Islamic contributions ends around 1200s
all major advancements (including Linear Algebra) was made by Germans like Gauss and Euler
and Frenchmen like Bernoullis

ITT: People who don't know what analytic continuation is discussing some shitty YouTube Video

t. /sci/

It's bullshit. I bet there is some categorical error going on here, as those spot-an-error games of equations that make 0=2. Only more complex, making it "mathfag's categorical error" rather than pleb's.

>b-but it's used in string theory
What exactly can you produce with string theory?

You must be retarded if you don't understand that weird things happen when you talk about infinity.

>tfw complex analysis professor did a shit job of teaching analytic continuation and i don't give a shit enough about it to study it

guess i'll never truly understand the meme equation

>t. brainlet

This is the only string theory I care about.

>I saw this video on youtube and even though I can't quite grasp it I'll accept it because the guy has a diploma because that's what my sensibilities tell me a smart guy would do
>you're the brainlet for not being exactly the same

Sure thing, faggot. Once you make something useful with that equation that isn't a bunch of old theoretical physicists making mental exercises on a theory that may or may not be true and has yet to produce anything of value, I might get into it.

[spoiler]>tfw I fell for canuck's bait[/spoiler]

>divergent series are intuitive.

It's nothing so simple. Basically this points to the ambiguous nature of infinite sums, where you through analytic continuation can associate finite values to them, and in some contexts that answer makes sense.

>1+2+3.. does not equal -1/12
using the word equal is misleading clickbait

>1+2+3.. has a correspondence with -1/12
it all depends on what you mean with the symbol =

numberphile are sjw cucks anyway...
here is a better explanation:
youtube.com/watch?v=jcKRGpMiVTw

You talk to Sup Forums user
Here even math is subhuman, 4fags,etc.
Not to mention ad hominem shit
>poo logic..

Biophysical chemist here. This is analogous to mathematical masturbation. My favorite one is "The Devil's Staircase." These are all gibberish and math for the sake of math.

(Also a Christian)

mfw 'academics' don't know what convergence is

>getting this triggered
>t. brainliet

>Aw koi tahday weah gowna louk at a few diffrint songs

Why do we allow the British to continue destroying our language?

>biofags

least squares is normie tier

Checked.
Biology is based as fuck, it's probably the best degree if you want to be a smartass.

Why can that goofy fuckface shift S2 one position?

I agree completely with this conclusion.

The "ambiguous nature of infinite sums" (or infinite anything for that matter) is the key part though, at which I was pointing the "categorical error". "Equal" can't withstand ambiguity though, and a day will hopefully come when mathfags can separate intuitive version and this version into two categories, and explain what exactly is going on here.

For example, 1/infinity is intuitively 0, but implementing the sort of solutions utilized in this video would perhaps reach another (concrete) solution. Perhaps the ancient 0=2, as orientally-inspired crowleyites attempted? As much has been suggested in video's comments with similar examples, without anyone, as is the case with the video itself, spotting any errors.

My intuition tells me this is some post-modern bullshit that will corrupt math to it's core, making categorical errors justified on emotional appeals (or on basis of ambiguity, if we are lucky).

Euler believed 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + ⋯ = ∞
1 − 1 + 1 − 1 + ⋯ never converges on 1/2 unless you interpret the meaning of the symbols in a very specific way. If you tend to think of numbers as existing on a number line and you think of the plus and minus operations as sliding a point on that number line back and forth between 1 and 0 then you're probably more likely to buy into the notion that the sum can have a result of 1/2. i.e. if you conceive of 1 − 1 + 1 − 1 + ⋯ as an oscillation between 1 and 0.
If you think of the numbers as discrete quantities then you will never arrive at 1/2. You have an apple in your hand. I take the apple away from you. I put the apple back in your hand. I take it away from you. etc... You will never have 1/2 of an apple.

>be chemist
>get called biofag
I won't stand around as a fellow chemist gets called bioscum. Kill yourself pizzanigger.

What about me, a applied math major with chem minor? do i get a pass to be a chad?

This was a poorly made video.
The series of numbers equals infinity.
The -1/12 is what the series means in another context. More like a frequency.
What exactly the frequency is I don't understand. It was something the video could have explained better.

approved

Mathmatics is a human construct.

lmao this is why the physics department is a total meme

That has always been my understanding as well. While you can deal with "infinite quantities" of sorts using symbolic mathematics, infinite symbolic expressions of this kind don't always have clear interpretations. But they can be used to express different concepts within different frameworks. It would be clearer if they were clearly marked as expressing a certain kind of mathematical object within this framework. I'm sure experts have no real confusion about all of this, but a lot of people seem to assume that all of mathematics are completely unified and "mixable" just because it uses similar notations.

science btfo lmao

inb4 anallytickled /sci/ brainlets try to pull the "muh magnitude" card

you know what else goes negative when we add numbers infinitely? the signed computer integers

even if we keep adding numbers in our "reality" we will overflow into -1/12

wake up sheeple, we live in a simulation

Assumption of summation does not end in a second digit. There needs to be an exponential value marker that is indicative of progressive addition of another digit greater than the previous by the lowest additive numeral, like a + or more energetic, a swastika. The mathematician obviously got politically correct and/or lazy at whole numbers and could not empathize to the degree that some could just as well surmise the number 11 to be progressive in the assumed action of addition of a multiple, so it became an active fraction, where the negative indicates the fleeting property of time. Maybe he is certified to teach math and isn't a fucking Nazi?

You're retarded. It literally explains it in the video. Not only that the figure appears all over physics, and gives correct and measurable answers. It is true and real and there is no debating it. Go away.

shitty retarded b8. that's what happens when you spend too much time with uncivilized barbarians

>Litteral bureaucracy in mathematics
>Overcomplicating a simple problematic by adding variables instead of set theoretical numbers AS IT SHOULD BE
>Believing in fucking string theory of all things
This is a brewery of retarded statements that makes actual science completely out of touch with reality.

Dare I say... Couple weeks into calculus 1 now, doing well, already past the chain rule and beyond. Quotient rule was a joke. Product rule remains my specialty.

I ask my professor his thoughts on quantum mechanics and partial derivatives. He's impressed i know about the subject. We converse after class for some time, sharing mathematical insights; i can keep up. He tells me of great things ahead like series and laplacians. I tell him i already read about series on wikipedia. He is yet again impressed at my enthusiasm. What a joy it is to have your professor visibly brighten when he learns of your talents.

And now I sit here wondering what it must be like to be a brainlet, unable to engage your professor as an intellectual peer. All of the deep conversations you people must miss out on because you aren't able to overcome the intellectual IQ barrier that stands in the way of your academic success... it's so sad. My professor and I know each other on first name basis now, but i call him Dr. out of respect.

And yet here you brainlets sit, probably havent even made eye contact with yours out of fear that they will gauge your brainlet IQ levels.

A true shame, but just know it is because i was born special that i am special. I can't help being a genius, nor can my professor. Two of a kind is two flocks in a bush.

wrong right from the get go that first series is a geometric where r isnt less than one so it cant converge to 1/2 because it diverges

modern math btfo by pol

The limes of this Sum does not exist. It does not converge. But the Mathematicans asked themself what would happen if you just ignored that and calculated a limit anyways.

The fact that it appears in quantum mechanics is only true for high level stuff i do not get. However it has probably to do with getting Results that are finite and thus can be applied to the real world (called norming i think).

Dont take this result to seriously or at least know a little math before you post stuff...

fuck you, user. There are other, more interesting things I can study.

god this planet has turned into such a steaming pile of shit

ape like monkeys talking about mathematics

In all honesty, though, only frequencies behave that way, and the addition of every positive natural numbers isn't a frequency when trying to search for its hteoretical value mathematically.

>i'm so smart and above a video explaining something in a simple way that's been made for kids and laypeople look at how impressive I am
t. /sci/
sounds about right

derp herp if n is odd its 1 and if n is even its 0 so we just split the difference cause convergence isnt a thing right?
not like if its odd your off by 1/2 and if its even youre off by 1/2 meaning you have a rough estimation that never improves in accuracy.

Physics? Why not hop on the ((chemistry)) bandwagon and reap the benefits?

>There are people who think that if they take a rice grain and keep adding rice grains into infinity they'll end up with no rice grains
Really makes you think

It’s a scam, like say if you expect you could make a lot of money (1 + 2 + 3 + 4 ...) and instead are tricked and end up being broke and in debt (-1/12). It’s meant to trick people based on faulty logic.

>I am currently doing least-square fits with numerical linear algebra to model solutions of diff equations
You say said like it proves you're competent or something.

stop making the aliens laugh

I come to Switzerland fuck your sister top kek Swiss chocolate shit shithead TOP kek.

Are you talking about Bitcoin?

>When you step outside conventional maths you get unconventional results
whoop dee doo
Call me when you come back to addition being associative.

this logic falls apart for me right here
2xS2 means you have 2 sequences of S2 added together. each sequence of S2 is identical. they have to be the same length. if they are different, then you are not multiplying S2 by 2, you are adding two different sequences of numbers. in his example, he shifts the "bottom" S2 over by 1 place. No matter how far the "top" S2 goes, the bottom will exceed it by 1 place. the very last number in the bottom S2 will be added/subtracted from nothing, just like how the very first number in the top S2 (1) had nothing added/subtracted to it.

can someone explain how/why im wrong/right? i know things get complicated when talking about infinites (otherwise this thread wouldnt exist), but logically when an infinite is added to itself it should be the same length each time, right?

fake and gay

1+2+3+4+...+99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999+... CANNOT GIVE A NEGATIVE NUMBER

HOLY FUCK HOW BRAINWASHED ARE YOU?

Maybe the universe suffers a buffer overflow if you actually did it?

Bad code, God, please debug

your professor thinks you're a pseudo intellectual that tries his best to look smart, but he surely knows you're a dumb fucker until you prove it otherwise. Being me the prof and hearing that one of my students read an article on wiki and thinks he "can discuss on the same lvl as me" and that "he is a peer of mine" would make my fucking sides go into space.
also, care for laplacians, they'll fucking destroy you

>"how can you ask me these science questions!?"

youre not wrong there doing basic series and ignoring convergence they dont know how to math.

Let K be an arbitrary integer. Assume by way of contradiction that K + K + 1 = -1/12. K + K + 1 is an integer by closure of the integers under addition. However, -1/12 is not an integer. Contradiction.

Proven false in 3 sentences.

Guys, you're all idiots. 1+2+3+4+5... equals jews.

You are correct, but the sum is fundamentally connected with a function (zeta function) that does give -1/12 at that point. Weird things happen in physics and they just fall back on the assumption that the sum is really the zeta function and use -1/12.

when we're talking about infinity there is no "last number". we apply different rules in solving equations with infinities.

It's... How do I even say this...my post was... Well...

Fuck you I want my Tally Bone.

This has to be bait, I refuse to believe you're such a faggot and a retard at the same time

>Couple weeks into calculus 1
>this is so easy guys

It's a pasta from /sci/. Weird those faggots get baited by Sup Forums threads every day but everyone here also falls for the most retarded and obvious bait. Rlly makes you think.

yeah i knew that. you could make an argument for that if you were adding two different infinitely long strings of numbers together, but this is adding the same infinitely long string of numbers to itself. you shifted one identical sequence over 1 space, so somewhere at the "end" it has to be shifted over by 1 space. if you shift one and they both "end" at the same space, they arent identical duplicates

Why are they creating those S1 and S2 series?

Makes no sense to me.

For anyone interested, the "proof" given in the video is not rigorous and makes no sense from a mathematical point of view. Basically what you have is something called the Rieman zeta function that can be defined properly in terms of infinite series (infinite sums) but obviously this definition fails for shit like 1+2+3... Now, because it would be nice to have a function defined for all complex numbers (ie a map that asigns a complex number a unique complex number), they look for valued such that the function behaves "nicely" after defining it that way. And the most popular one has that you need to asign the value for which you have the sum 1+2+3... To sat, for that number, let's asign -1/12. It's not as arbitrary as it looks, but you need to know complex analysis to fully grasp it.

There's some bullshit at work there that I can't pinpoint.
The main issue I have is they're subtracting one series from the other, but one of the two they shifted right one position.
That means that however infinite it is, it's always going to be one place out of alignment, so the answer can't actually be the one they're saying it is because they're ignoring one of the terms.

It's been a long time since high school, you're free to prove me wrong.

Alright, now assuming this is true, what real world application does this have? The video pussyfoots around it and only uses the autist example of "le finding the number of dimensions in string theory" bullshit, like that has any significance to anybody who isn't a fucking defective rainman. How the fuck is this useful to anyone that isn't a permavirgin???

Jump off a cliff, retard

>1D line and 2D surface have the same number of points
>there is the same number of natural numbers as integers and rational numbers
>the number of former (points on a continuum) is strictly greater than the latter (N, Z, Q)
>there are infinite number of infinities larger than the number of numbers in R
>there are no infinities in between infinities
>the last one turns out to be unprovable and independent mathematics
>actually nothing in mathematics is provable because of the incompleteness theorem
>math is practically pointless now
>centuries of work wasted
>mankind gives up on math and goes back to its primitive state
>t-thanks to infinity!

>How can you take scientists seriously
It's mathematics, not science. Please make sure to post your disagreements, disgust and ignorance on >>/sci/, as you will be in good company there. Also, welcome to the ultra-finitist-worldview, and don't forget to subscribe to Norman Wildberger on Youtube for all your latest material on irritating "modern mathematicians".

As if anyone takes "modern math" seriously. Physicists and engineers don't even bother to learn anything from the past 80 years.

>theoretical mathematics

>As if anyone takes "modern math" seriously.
>*uses advances in functional analysis to prove existence, uniqueness and solve his PDE equations*

All of algebra and trigonometry are dependent on "imaginary numbers". Shit like infinity. Shit like negatives. This is why math has hit a peak in development, it ignores the reality and opts for imaginary. Sure there are uses in engineering to find the weight load and surface are and thickness of the material etc, but the whole "scifi advanced space theoretical physics" is all bullshit sold by psuedo intellectuals to idiotic believers. There is no infinity and there is no negative number in nature, you cannot have negative 100 apples unless you enter the imaginary world of mathmatics.

Nah technically what they say when summing like that is "any number you could've stopped at is on the other one as well" and weird things happen at infinity.
Think of it like this: arbitrary line segment has infinitely many points. If you squeeze it by half, you have exactly as many points (division by 2 is a bijection), and if you put another half, you end back at full length but with "double the amount" of points. Which means infinity isn't a number you can "catch the last digit" on, as counterintuitive as it sounds.
(except when you start surreal numbers but shush)

Woah, I suppose, that's like 99% of all things learned from mathematics by other fields. Modern math has become less and less relevant to other fields.

You can create a lot of numbers from an infinite alternating series if you try hard enough and use placeholders (especially from 1 -1 1-1). Brady is being a jerk and is pulling out a 'correct' answer by abusing that. A lot of mathematicians did the same over history.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandi's_series
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_series_theorem

can i use this to pick up chicks?

Threads like this make me regret I studied computer science. At least I make money.