How did Sup Forums become mainstream like this

How did you become a solider of the largest threat to democracy

economist.com/news/briefing/21730870-economy-based-attention-easily-gamed-once-considered-boon-democracy-social-media

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalization_Act_of_1790
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>social media turns out to not be a neoliberal hivemind of thinkprogress garbage
>suddenly its a mistake

god I hate liberals. I hope they do turn on social media though, going back to a time before Facebook and all that garbage sure would be nice.

>democracy was so weak it was killed by a cartoon frog

Gamergate

If you hadn't opened the mouth none of the twitter niggers would have chomped out about this place called Sup Forums

gamergate sure exploded incredibly fast over some no name girl

Sup Forums was thrust to mainstream prominence by being the greatest and most notorious hacker on the entire information super-highway

don't know, but feels good, man
democracy is abhorrent tier

GLOOOBERGAAAAAAAATE!!!@!!

And they will never catch the mysterious hacker named Sup Forums.

I am user!

Social media is democracy incarnate. Everyone gets a voice

>the most revolutionary way of socializing, instantaneous and easy
>allows users to discuss without physical barriers
Social media is arguably the best thing for a democracy ideologically.
This is a nemesis to "Democracy" only if democracy is turned to a carrot on a stick giving citizens the illusion of control.

FUCKING GOOFY GOOBERS
STOP RAPING BRAVE BEAUTIFUL XIRLS

>giving people a voice is the nemesis of democracy

what did (((they))) mean by this?

This. If the democrats torch facebook, linkedin, twitter, and reddit, i'll gladly accept the loss of 4chins.

>They took Gamergate to be a serious debate, in which both sides deserved to be heard, rather than a right-wing bullying campaign.

Stopped reading there.

Going to be real funny when Fake Moot gets bought out by a CIA front company and Sup Forums gets turned into a weapon for the Deep State to use.

All over some no name girl who cucked her boyfriend.
Remember, the whole alt-right was kickstarted by defence of a cuck.

My dog is German
My coffee is Colombian
My IT is Indian
My car is English
My food is Italian
My TV is Japanese
My diamonds are South African
My licorice is Australian
My computer is Chinese
My wine is French
And I am an American.

Why can't you losers understand that America was created for everyone, not just white people?

The amount of bigotry and intolerance towards African Americans in these threads is worse here than anywhere else on reddit.

>people sharing their opinions is a threat to democracy
guess they have some new definition of democracy

>deep state save us :((((
You're too late Schlomo.

nah, they can't stop virtue signaling its crack to women and nu-males and everytime they do they lose, its a win win for us and a lose lose for them

>It's only good when it's leftist

Fuck off

>Like, people that didn't even go to journalism school or get a polisci degree are having their opinions listened to. It's, like... I can't even right now

>stop using the internet to popularize opinions (((we))) don't like

politicians are the largest threat to Democracy

It's sad that you don't realize how compromised this site already is

>Russians "hacked" our election by spreading information and ads on Facebook!

Literally one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

if they get rid of media Sup Forums would still exist as it was founded in 03

>threat to democracy
more like a threat to the status quo that's been fucking the little guy over and that frightens them. if anything what's happening IS democracy in action, but washington and their puppets don't want that.

>that headline
>the article isn't 100% regarding the multipurpose mob mentality of twitter

no

>Your participation in democracy is undemocratic.

This is some real 1984 double think.

Social media is a threat to democracy because THE PEOPLE may communicate with broader groups and form opinions that are counter the narrative?

I assumed this article was referring to facebook and twitter but I just realized it was an MSM article
also sage shit thread

>mfw the first habbo hotel raid was 11 years ago

Read up on Bernays and Lippmann. The tl;dr is that the mob is irrational and a functional society can only come about if they are managed by an elite that can control the message. The internet broke that monopoly once held by the monied class. Sup Forums in particularly is difficult to control due to its hyper-critical nature, resistance to authority, and multiple layers of irony that are outright esoteric to a bunch of grey elites that have a hard time understanding the internet as it is. Also, Sup Forums has obsessed over subversion for so long that people have become good subverters themselves. Meanwhile, the powers that be are disadvantaged in that they can't shill for anything that isn't the milquetoast status quo that only appeal to equally milquetoast individuals.

where people once opened forums on a subject possibly relating to their business/hobbies now they have arsebook pages and Twatter accounts.
The way the mainstream media pushed those two mind sucks made it perfectly obvious what was going on. You fill in an arsebook page you create your own secret police file and give it to a Jewish businessman called the zuck to do with as he will.

YOU're a milquetoast.

That was quite rude Nigel, you should take it back and apologize.

Then go back you fucking nigger.

I subscribed to the economist for a decade before the Trump campaign.

They really have some balls calling out fake news.

A democracy in which only adult male property owners can vote is tolerable. Universal suffrage was a mistake.

Sup Forums was never a secret club Jabronis

>all our faces when the habbo hotel raids were training for the meme wars 11 years later

> A Vietnamese basket weaving board, spurned on by foreign governments, elected Trump

I, for one, am offended that I didn't get paid to shitpost

Sup Forums has been an obvious powerhouse since 2006, it took a decade for normies to realize this. Pathetic.

The grudge vs. gaming rags had been building for years. Lot of people were getting annoyed with the way they spent more time shitting on gamers than reviewing games (not to mention their habit of injecting political bullshit or even outright blogshit in their reviews). Once they came out in support of the editor that cunt was fucking, it kicked open the flood gates.

Why can't I leave this place.

Democracy is threatened when people's opinions change.

They'll nuke all forms of non-(((curated))) user input, afterward insisting "the internet is freer and safer than ever" and "more representative of us"

They aren't giving up on the astroturfing, they're just changing tactics.

God speed, Sup Forums

Well I would so terribly much like to apologise but it appears I was granted numerals in three's and two's so I suspect there might be some truth to the matter I had cause to convey

Your digits don't mean anything if you say mean things though :(

This guy gets it.
It was really just the straw that broke the camel's back for tolerance of all the bullshit they had been dumping out.

Even before that it was Project Chanology, which frequently made the news And prior to that some people would direct link images from Sup Forums onto Digg (reddit hadn't taken off yet) to intentionally break rules 1 and 2, just to piss people off. That doesn't seem like a lot, but it would often lead to tens of thousands of normalfags learning what Sup Forums is. This led to some people capitalizing on memes, like with I can haz cheezburger, which led to more people learning what Sup Forums was by trying to figure out where the memes came from. It has always been a matter of time before this place became mainstream; normalfags liked our memes too much.

Ugh, can't help it. I have to seriouspost.

Sup Forums, reddit, tumblr, what the fuck ever. NONE of it would have gotten one fucking inch of traction if it wasn't hitting a latent energy that already existed in the people. If us, the Russians, the Chinks, Antifa, the Illuminati, or the Bronies had tried to convince people that Zoroastrianism was the one true faith with shitposts and cartoon frogs it would have gone exactly nowhere. Social media is a convenient whipping boy for the elites and the radical left and it allows them to avoid the fundamental unpalatable truth - a growing minority of the population don't buy into their bullshit and want a change.

Clamp down here, by all means, go the fuck ahead. But it's still going to be whack-a-mole from here on out because the Zeitgeist is running against your bullshit, dudes.

>Sup Forums
Who is he???

Sup Forums can be remade into 5chan if that happens. We can code it up in like a day desu

fpbp, kill em all

>Why can't you losers understand that America was created for everyone, not just white people?
You sure about that?
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalization_Act_of_1790
>This law limited naturalization to immigrants who were free white persons of good character. It thus excluded American Indians, indentured servants, slaves, free blacks and later Asians
Hmmm

>when a website which revolves around freedom of speech and individual expression no matter how absurd or extreme it is is now somehow the enemy of democracy and freedom because they played a role in electing a guy the Left doesn't like and said mean things

free speech platform: if you build it, they will come

zionist_screechings.gif

Its simple really. Anonymous and the fight against Scientology brought attention to the site which caused everything wrong with the site

I remember sitting in this very chair participating as a spotty edgy teenager.

>chanology
this. chanology was the culmination of inviting retards who wielded anonymity as a weapon and led to the politicizing of Sup Forums as a whole

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES AND BURN THROUGH THE WITCHES

Free speech is not a threat to democracy
Sup Forums is the last bastion of free speech
Media and votewhores don't like it so there is a panic

The only reason people want to keep this place secret is because they assume normies will ruin it by making it normal.

As the article linked in OP suggests though the opposite happens, people turn up to have a look, stay to push their ideas and then one day realise they've joined the ranks of the damned.

At some point nearly everyone who posted on this board was a "normie" to some degree, now most are some weird neo-traditionalist or fetishist who can't come to grips with social interaction.

>As the article linked in OP suggests though the opposite happens
I'm sure the economist has a well grounded understanding of a place filled with Egyptian frogposters.

>At some point nearly everyone who posted on this board was a "normie" to some degree
First off, it's normalfag, you normalfag. Second, that's not true at all.

A misty memory.
A haunted face
Is he a lost embrace?

Firstly the article clearly shows that the ideas that are more right leaning are becoming more prevalent as opposed to less, therefore the ideas coming from here are spreading rather than being changed.

Secondly, go fuck yourself you fat burger fuck. I didn't waste 10 years of my life on this fucking septic pool of a site to be called a fucking normie by some spastic who hasn't been around long to read a thread posted by someone who has finally taken a redpill and come to grips with the bullshit stuffed down their throat by mainstream media and realized there's something behind the curtain.

>At some point nearly everyone who posted on this board was a "normie" to some degree
i've been a social outcast my entire life faggot

The mortal threat journalists continue to feel from Gamergate and a mass awakening to their conditioning is telling.

And some blacks have a 140 IQ, the exception is not the rule. Sort yourself out and start improving yourself and the world by extension you apathetic chud.

>Firstly the article clearly shows that the ideas that are more right leaning are becoming more prevalent as opposed to less, therefore the ideas coming from here are spreading rather than being changed.
Of course ideas from Sup Forums are spreading. That doesn't mean it isn't filled with a bunch of fucking normalfags because of retards like you. Every time it gets publicity more people would discover it. It's true that most of them wouldn't stay. However, a few of them would. And they would shit it up because they didn't understand the concept of lurking and taking in the culture. That's why Sup Forums is how it is now.

>Secondly, go fuck yourself you fat burger fuck. I didn't waste 10 years of my life on this fucking septic pool of a site to be called a fucking normie by some spastic who hasn't been around long to read a thread posted by someone who has finally taken a redpill and come to grips with the bullshit stuffed down their throat by mainstream media and realized there's something behind the curtain.
"Normie" is what SJWs who are afraid of offending actual faggots call normalfags. Anyone that has been here for ten years like you claim shouldn't give a fuck what some faggot thinks and wouldn't use their censored words. So lurk the fuck more or get out because nobody buys that you're an oldfag, you retarded Australian faggot. Moot was right when he said your country was filled with the worst posters.

DRAGULAAAAAA

You assume that everyone on this anonymous image thinks the exact same as you and that you're the standard model of speech. As if a website that's most important aspect is it's anonymity would then discard that by having a standard model of acting and thinking.

Sup Forums was always shit and left wing, that's why they did the habbo raids and chanology it was always babies first board full of 15 year olds posting edgy shit.

You do realise that even people who were teens when this shit started are now older and have jobs and lives, you can't be a worthless waste of space busting it to traps forever if you want to actually put into practice people say on this page.

Who the fuck is moot faggot?

It was an episode in a long series of emasculation and humiliation. In just a few decades, progressives (particularly feminists) have rapidly reshaped society. Through policy and culture, men have been pushed out. We had one last bastion: games, a hobby we could lose ourselves in when life was bleak.

Did previous generations of women try to infiltrate our father's hobbies? Our grandfather's hobbies? Car culture? Hunting? Woodworking? No, women back then had better sense than that.

Modern women are greedy and narcissistic. They didn't want us having our own "place" in the world. So they decided they wanted assimilate game culture, too.

They over stepped and wound up creating one of the most popular far right movements in recent American history. It's absurd, hilarious, and totally fitting.

"After crying wolf throughout these years, calling everyone from saccharine pop stars to Justin Trudeau a ‘white supremacist’ and everyone who wasn’t With Her a sexist, the real wolf eventually arrived.”

-Angela Nagle

>You assume that everyone on this anonymous image thinks the exact same as you and that you're the standard model of speech.
That has nothing to do with you proliferating the use of words that SJWs took and censored.

>Sup Forums was always shit and left wing, that's why they did the habbo raids and chanology it was always babies first board full of 15 year olds posting edgy shit.
There's nothing left wing about shutting down a kid's website by blocking off areas en masse with nigger avatars. And Sup Forums was not always shit, it was called an ocean of piss as a term of endearment by people that browsed it. It has been actual shit for some time now though because the signal-to-noise ratio got so bad from all the new posters.

>You do realise that even people who were teens when this shit started are now older and have jobs and lives, you can't be a worthless waste of space busting it to traps forever if you want to actually put into practice people say on this page.
And the same thing happened to Something Awful, which is why it's fucking shit now too. They "grew up" and lost their sense of humor. Just because you're an adult doesn't mean you have to conform to society while you're on Sup Forums. That's what made this place special in the first place. All the losers that didn't have an outlet in the real world could air their degeneracy freely. Which is still possible even if you have a job because you can't afford to be a NEET.

>11 years ago
Kill me.

Trump's campaign skyrocketed Sup Forums from #600 on Alexa.com's website rankings to #80ish. Sup Forums.org was below fucking Jezebel before the Trump/MAGA movement.

>cartoon frogs
>demolishes Communism with simple chuckles

No wonder Communists are so assblasted 24/7

Important thing to note is the phoneposters. Smartphones were a mistake.

Trump made Sup Forums greater than mootkins ever could of hoped for. Now if only our Imperial Jap Overlord could get his ass uncucked.

Sup Forums was always shit, that's why is was an ocean of piss. I appreciate your endless dredging up of old memes perhaps an image macro or two might sooth your butthurt

The reason they blocked the pool was because some black kid with aids was banned from a public pool which offended their childish sensibilities.

You have issue with me not calling you a faggot, if you want I'll call you a faggot. Do you like being called a faggot, faggot? You might feel more comfortable on one of the 30 /mtfgen/ on .

Your slaves are African.

because we're your best friends now.
mine too, for better or worse

It was also a better userbase.

>implying Sup Forums was ever good

and you are a faggot