East Germany

What was it like? Did they also live in povertyand depression, like the rest of eastern block? On which communism level was it?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zersetzung
sportsmansguide.com/product/index/east-german-military-surplus-mens-rain-camo-bdu-set-like-new?a=2055713
twitter.com/AnonBabble

it was the best

it was the worst

Elaborate

> communist level

You mean like on the spectrum between shit and shit shitty mcshitserson?

What was Latvia like? Did they live in freezerland alcoholism, like the rest of the arctic circle? On which communism buffer state level was it?

This

commie shithole, still better than (((West))) Germany

I meant, how strongly the people and their lords stuck with the ideology?

East Germany=Best Germany

It was one of the better countries in the Eastern Bloc to live in if you look at overall wealth, consumer goods, and living conditions, but it wasn't as wealthy or active in trade as West Germany, and they had probably the world's proportionally largest (but not the most violent) secret police force.

The Stasi were metal as fuck.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zersetzung

>The Stasi used Zersetzung essentially as a means of psychological oppression and persecution.[14] Findings of operational psychology[15] were formulated into method at the Stasi's College of Law (Juristische Hochschule der Staatssicherheit, or JHS), and applied to political opponents in an effort to undermine their self-confidence and self-esteem. Operations were designed to intimidate and destabilise them by subjecting them to repeated disappointment, and to socially alienate them by interfering with and disrupting their relationships with others as in social undermining. The aim was to induce personal crises in victims, leaving them too unnerved and psychologically distressed to have the time and energy for anti-government activism

>a systematic degradation of reputation, image, and prestige in a database on one part true, verifiable and degrading, and on the other part false, plausible, irrefutable, and always degrading; a systematic organization of social and professional failures for demolishing the self-confidence of the individual; [...] stimulation of doubts with respect to perspectives on the future; stimulation of mistrust or mutual suspicion among groups [...]; putting in place spatial and temporal obstacles rendering impossible or at least difficult the reciprocal relations of a group [...], for example by [...] assigning distant workplaces

>stimulation of doubts with respect to perspectives on the future; stimulation of mistrust or mutual suspicion among groups [...]; putting in place spatial and temporal obstacles rendering impossible or at least difficult the reciprocal relations of a group [...], for example by [...] assigning distant workplaces

Sounds like the media playbook against Trump. oh yeah commies

They also did petty but unnerving things like breaking into people's houses and rearranging the furniture, switching varieties of tea or foods in the cabinet, slashing the victim's tires, sending their friends or acquaintances nasty letters made to look as if the victim sent them, and sabotaging medical treatment.

No Western Germany is better. Eastern Germany is still a shit hole. And it's why we have merkel

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

It has enough staying power that there's a sizable market for goods imitating those produced in East Germany. One particular brand of pickles is quite popular, and an East German version of Coca Cola (Vita Cola) is more popular than Coca Cola in some regions.

Latvia was great - high stats world wide, germans best lapdog, high culture, action going on. When the Russia left they took everything with them, products, food, gold. We still did good without them, as long as Germans were here, keeping it up. Russkie hated it, and asked German fuckwit to come and rape our country from the other side, but it turned out in us just gaining our independence from both tyrannies. We did kind of good on our own, and Russkie hated it, so he came and raped us, killing off intelligencia, ruining landscape, environment and the put the Latvian spirit to the sleep, brought in uzbeks, khazaks, chukchas, churkas, chuchumeks and midland slavs to our high culture art noveau apartments in city centre. Russkie did terrible things, and in a lot of Latvians, just like other westerners, national spirit is long gone, but the ones with this spirit are bearing the struggle to overcome the degeneracy. Most of population is conservative and all the trash is going to Ireland or Greit Britan. Best Latvia was from 2000 to 2004.

forgot to mention what the ((russkie)) actually was

Wasn't the USSR anti-Semitic? They imprisoned or harassed a lot of Jews who tried to make the aliya to Israel.

percola

My mother in law lived in the German Democratic Republic and she said it wasn't as bad as it is always pictured. But this has to be taken with a grain of salt, since she had a pretty comfortable life.
Despite suffering from ectrodactyly, she was department manager of the accountancy at an industrial company and knew how to work all the different punch-card machines and she had 9 workers below her.
So financially and socially she was on a pretty good level.
The communistic ideas that people try to weave into the GDR were all bullshit. Due to her financial standing and her connections to the higher-ups at her workplace, she was getting pretty good food, rare fruits from the south, bananas and mangoes, pretty good veggies, too. "Normal" people almost never got those and had to settle with local fruit and vegetables.
She wasn't part of the party, thus she was able to avoid most of the political drag that was going on but that also hindered her in further advancing in the company she worked for. The higher your rank in those companies, the more important was the party and your involvement in it.

>bananas and mangoes
Weren't those almost unknown in the DDR?

communist run to shit, families interrogated by stasi (secret police), no access to outworld (western sources), phonelines tapped etc, couldnt leave east berlin permanently. School was indoctrinated in communist songs and had to stand by the streets when people like yasser arafat came into town. The east side of the wall was completely clean because they wouldnt let the people even near the side.

My dad used to call his friends and they used to say hello hello stasi are you there? when they heard strange noises or taps during their conversation

My Dad left in like '87 and the stasi was on his family after he left and his whole family had files on them before and after his fleeing, which they got to see when they released the stasi files in 91-92.

best germany ;) XD

Best living standards of the entire eastern block, even better than the Russian SSR. However was a no still is a dump compared to western standards.

Huh sounds like modern Germany

>My dad used to call his friends and they used to say hello hello stasi are you there? when they heard strange noises or taps during their conversation
kek
I do something similar if my Siri or my parents' Alexa beeps randomly.

he grew accustomed to it as it was just normal life for him, nowadays they are really good at keeping it a secret against us

Oldfag here. First eleven years of my life in Dresden. Family came to BRD in the late 1980s. Going to bed but will create a Q&A thread tomorrow night. Watch D83 for an idea but remember those were well-connected families with a Stasi aunt plus some "rich TV people" skew.

Most could modify their TVs to pick up western broadcasts but in Dresden you couldn't get reception so we just had radios or secondhand gossip. No such thing as a VCR in the east. They offset all the show times from the west to try to keep people from flipping channels back and forth.

Parents never talked politics in front of children because children might blurt something out later so I never knew any better until later. Believed it all until I came west and saw differently. There was a certain tension in the east that I've never seen since that was obvious to me once I saw differently in the west. But before that it was just normal.

sportsmansguide.com/product/index/east-german-military-surplus-mens-rain-camo-bdu-set-like-new?a=2055713

is it a good deal? I intend to match it with an m56 helmet and a raindrop pattern chest rig

Food was mostly bread, potatoes, onions, pickled vegetables, some meat. A lot of fried things. Tea and coffee always. Milk was available most of the time. Soda and fruit were a treat. Things like oranges were for Christmas. Never saw a banana until I got to the west. Once the wall came down every time people in the west would see a Trabant they'd throw bananas in the window.

They showed Beverly Hills Cop in school as a propaganda film. Also showed Dallas to highlight the corrupt American rich but which we liked because the only other thing on TV was communist party business and that sort of thing.

Did you see the time Erich Mielke got utterly trolled by the Volkskammer and spilled his spaghetti on live TV?

you realize the AfD was voted the most in the eastern side right?

Most all of the former communist countries are now the most right-wing. Look at Poland and soon Czechia

After it happened. We were in the west by then and I didn't see it live.

No, some vendors had these due to connections in the party. The party-higher-ups wanted those fruit and with connections you were able to "get on the list". Her boss was a party-member and owner of an industrial company, of course he wanted to have something special up his sleeve for the meetings with his officials.
It didn't mean that they got the goody goody's on a daily basis, but every other month she got a basket of uncommon fruit, veggies and things like chocolate, coffee, tea or soap. They weren't cheap but she was able to afford it for the feeling of luxury.

Can agree. If not right wing, then conservative for sure. All the post-soviet/post-communism countries are now redpilled.

aren't they still technically active in parts just working for cdu and spd?

I have a story
>2015
>height of the migrant crisis
>I start going to Sup Forums after Bataclan
>have two teachers from Germany, a German teacher (woman) from BRD
>a physics professor (man) who grew up in the DDR
>ask both of them how they feel about the """"refugees"""" and note their reactions
>BRD Professor gets uncomfortable and squirms a bit, trying to sidestep by saying some people don't like it
>DDR Professor launches straight into "Ja, zhis is probably going to happen again, all over Europe" (referring to Bataclan), then goes into a story of going to Paris and having his ass kicked by a gang of vibrant urban muslim youths, until they find out he's German, then they praise him because the Germans "killed so many Jews"
>"So ja, moslems can be friendly, but also very dangerous"
>says this in front of a full class room before class begins
>mfw I met a German who wasn't going to pussyfoot around the issue

he would sometimes regale the class with stories of growing up DDR, he was a cool guy.