Why do people just think they can be a military pilot?

Think about it. If you ever have the privilege of being able to fly a multi million dollar aircraft you better be experienced because the government’s budget for that one plane is probably ten times your net worth.

Additionally I’d imagine military piloting is way harder than commercial airline piloting because you can’t just put the plane in autopilot for 70% of the journey. Think about how many hours commercial airline pilots train to be able to actually be a pilot. I’d imagine it’ll be much worse for military pilots.

Or who knows maybe I’m wrong and the military will let any 18 year old dipshit command a plane/ship etc

For the most part, only officers are pilots. And all branches need more pilots, especially helo pilots. If you walk into a recuiting station with a 4 year degree, they will practically beg you to be a pilot.

So with the degree thing (especially if it's a good one) is it just showing you have the work ethic and persistence to be a trustworthy pilot? I don't know if many people in America go into the military after a degree. Isn't usually people go into the military to help pay for a degree in burgerland?

Depends on what you pilot. They will as mentioned probably allow helo/cargo pilots with glee if they have some academic merit.

If you want to be a stealth/sr71/b52/etc. pilot you need massive merit/exp and potentially undergo a thorough polygraph and some MkUltra (especially if you've got a nuclear load)

Not if you're mildly colorblind

:(

My dick had a nuclear load

The airforce is dying for drone pilots

Here in the States you can fly Helicopters for the Army with just a Highschool degree.

It's called the High School to Flight School program.

I'm worth more than those shitty planes. Fuck off.

According to Battlefield Earth, literal retard cavemen can pilot jets within like 2 weeks.

Being an officer requires a 4 year degree. About 10 to 15% of the military are officers. Also, degree being in field is helpful, but unnecessary. I met so many fighter pilots with a criminal justice degree while I was in, rarely would you see one with aeronautical engineering or something.

Dubs, checks out.

>f you ever have the privilege of being able to fly a multi million dollar aircraft you better be experienced
Experienced in flying jet fighters? Where do you get that kind of experience prior to joining? You don't. Nor do they require any. They have other serious requirements however.

But you're right in being able to be a pilot is very, very rare. You have to be short to fit in the cockpit. You have to have perfect vision. And they really like the high math scores. A lot.
And there's probably a ton of qualifiers I have no idea of. Willpower alone won't get you there.

Jesus, i didnt know the army was that desperate. I knew about their flying warrant program, though

>where do you get that kind of experience prior to joining

Simulators

People do both. I know a slut that wanted to be a doctor and plans on enlisting as a combat medic to pay her 100k+ student debts. It's a crock of shit for taxpayers.

I want to be a pilot but our military only has about a hundred combat planes

So they won't take you unless you have a lot of experience playing Flight Simulator 2018?
Has nothing to do with it. Sorry.
They actually prefer you untrained. No bad habits.

There is no preference, they are too desperate for pilots for the most part. As long as you can get through OCS and dont have fucked up eyes, you can go to flight school.

This. Even Burger King keeps the experienced people away from the newbies. This way, the restaurant trains the new hires THEIR way. No oldster is going to say, "Here is a shortcut". When I was in, an absolute noob shot 40/40 at the firing range. He had zero experience with rifles until basic training. Guys that had shot guns as kids in boy scouts were pissed. They wondered why experience didn't mean shit, and actually was a detriment.

>be me
>double ba's (hist-econ)
>graduate, plan to go to law school
>marines, army beg me to come for interviews
>interviews go well
>oh user are you taking any meds?
>i take a daily vyvanse
>lol cant join then user
>rip, start law school instead
>user, come back for interviews
>go to interviews, go well again
>oh user are you taking any meds?
>i take a daily vyvanse
>lol cant join then user

>beg you to be a pilot
hahahha. You obviously don't know shit about army aviation. Becoming a helicopter pilot in the army is extremely competitive and has no shortage of highly qualified applicants.

Because army is only service branch in US that allows non-officers to fly things with meat cargo.

>The airforce is dying for drone pilots
They are lacking all kinds of pilots, especially fighter pilots, with some experience. Reasons are complicated, biggest one is probably Obama. He fucked with military budget sequestration (lot of positions made redundant, like flight instructors), his personnel policy increased stupid bureaucratic shit (as opposed to necessary bureaucratic shit) like Equal Opportunity office fucking with everyone, lot of people that joined after 9/11 ran into the usual bureaucratic mess that is officers career once they cease to be lieutenants (flying desk instead of planes most of the time) and China/India driving civilian pilots salaries up from the rock bottom those reached about decade ago.

The fact that you need a 4 year(Bachelors) degree to even be an officer is absolutely retarded.

>Think about it. If you ever have the privilege of being able to fly a multi million dollar aircraft you better be experienced because the government’s budget for that one plane is probably ten times your net worth

and you're kompletley wrong with the first sentence

the militairy in general wants to keep the pilot alive that is the highes priority
a plane might cost you 15million dollar but the training for the pilot is estimated to be x10 more

Orion RAAF pilot here
Can't speak for the US but here only the very best are considered for fighter pilot roles.

Arent pilots being replaced by AI already?

How do you become an officer in the us army?

Here in argentina if you want to be an officer in any branch of the armed forces you finish highschool and get into a military academy for about 4 to 5 years and you get out being and officer with an university title.

>Pilots must be 64 to 77 inches tall when standing, and 34 to 40 inches tall when sitting. They must weigh 160 to 231 pounds, depending on height.

Also corrected to 20/20 vision be it glasses or corrective surgery is allowed. The math part is true, if you want to fly a fighter you need to have top marks in every evaluation and be top of your UPT class.

>They are lacking all kinds of pilots, especially fighter pilots, with some experience. Reasons are complicated, biggest one is probably Obama.

desu this worked under Obama because he underfunded the services so badly they were constantly lacking flight ready aircraft

an officer and a gentleman ;)

lol no

You guys can't get enough fighter pilots because Aussies aren't very great so they actually attempt to hire American military pilots.
Look it up.

It's super hard. I went to a Navy recruiter office for OCS. This is what they are looking for though. People do go Pilot route. Everything else is pretty easy to fill, but it's fucking ridiculous. It's 2 years of training, 6 years active, and then 2 reserve. You are on a ship most of that time span. You live and breath flying and even then, the odds of you flying a combat aircraft are slim to none.

There's a couple ways. You can go to a military academy, do ROTC while earning a bachelors degree, or commission straight off the streets.

One of several methods:
>go to service academy, e.g. westpoint
>go to military academy, e.g. the citadel, and have rotc scholarship
>go to non-military 4 year uni, have rotc scholarship
>go to 2 year military academy (rareish)
>get a 4 year degree, talk to recruiter, go through basic training & officer candidate school

You guys have some great pilots but your support and logistics is a mess.

i too, know that feel

Yeah here too but is different being an officer from a military academy than a university, only the officers from a military academy can become pilots or marines, the ones from university usually are doctors, etc (depending on their uni degree)

What does being an officer entail? Do you outrank cannom fodder marines amd leutenants?

>retards here think they just need a degree
there are physical and mental tests you will be physically incapable of passing, for example colorblindness and your bodies ability to withstand high G's. That's just the tip of the iceberg and most are funneled into ground support roles after failing (which most do).
They will headhunt those they want early in the selection process and make it hard as fuck for anyone outside of those chosen. Possible to pass, extremely hard, fighter pilot roles - almost impossible unless you've been preparing from a young age
>I have a degree and a good work ethic
lol

>helo pilots

Enjoy settling with power. (Death.)

I never said I would do it

That or you can be autistic and become a CWO.

A slut joining the armed forces.
YouDontSay.gif

>10 to 15% of the military are officers
I think it's much higher for the AF

>desu this worked under Obama because he underfunded the services so badly they were constantly lacking flight ready aircraft

It goes further than Obama, but he fucked up things more than previous admins. US military has been mismanaged since the end of the cold war and so called peace divident aka budget cuts. No-one really thought stuff over on long term basis, not Bush 1.0, not Clinton or anyone since then. After 9/11 modernization and re-organization programs have been largely avoided due to operational concerns and budget increases have been spent on operational costs and immediate needs like purchasing MRAP's. Basically minimal fixes to bigger issues to keep things running and armament programs running.

Last time things in US military have been actually thought over and re-organized have been in 70's after post Vietnam war budget cuts and getting rid of conscription. Basically Reagan just added more money to military already reformed by mostly Ford and Carter.

And how badly, would you say, would the Air Force or Navy be hurting for fixed wing pilots?

>he takes a mind-altering drug and still thinks anyone associated with govt will touch him
Maybe you need to pop a few more pills.

An officer generally means having a commission. There are non-commissioned officers, but they are limited in rank. You would know that if you weren't a shit scum country.

Because I'm the fucking man when I play ace combat

Its platform specific, I wouldnt hold my breath for f22s or f35s if thats what you're hoping for. Other things like E-2s or C-2s are possible. F16 for airforce or F18 for navy are likely for fighters.

I wouldn't be able to fly jets anyways, my math skills are shit. Just as long as I get to fly something I'd be happy.

>NEET losers fantasizing about being top gun while they wear coke-bottle glasses and wipe cheeto grease on their shirts

this thread

You have no idea how hard it is to qualify, biologically speaking, to be a military pilot. You get rejected instantaneously for defects that most people go their whole lives without realizing they even have them, such as a 0.7% displacement toward red perception in a particular tone of blue. Need glasses? Forget about it. You got Lasik? Max par, get out. Oh, you have 0.6 diopters of astigmatism? Fuck you sweaty, with the other 85% of the population.
>Why do people just think they can be a military pilot?
You are incredibly retarded and don't know what you're talking about.
>Think about how many hours commercial airline pilots train to be able to actually be a pilot.
Like 300. Not really a lot. You can easily become a pilot in under a year if you have enough money to pay for the expenses of the training. The issue is really just the money. You are trying to imply something that doesn't work like you think at all.
>Or who knows maybe I’m wrong
Yes.
>and the military will let any 18 year old dipshit command a plane/ship etc
No. You're twice a retard.

>me
>normal, functioning adult regardless of meds
>increased concentration on meds

>you
>retard trying to score a quick burn by conflating dextroamphetamines that increase concentration and alertness with anti-psychotics

desu everyone should be on some dextroamph derivative

american fighter pilots get 180 hours of practice annually, if i remember correctly.

Easy now

I heard you basically can't fit into fighter jets if you're taller than about 5'6".

Can anyone confirm that fighter pilots are all manlets?

that literally makes no sense

>>Think about how many hours commercial airline pilots train to be able to actually be a pilot.
>Like 300.
He said commercial airline pilots. You need 1500 flight time minimum.

>Pilots have to meet the Air Force's height, weight and physical conditioning requirements. They must be 64 to 77 inches tall when standing, and 34 to 40 inches tall when sitting
>77 inches, or 6'4

Anyone here do research for the military? It’s something I want to do and have the proper connections to get interviews for.

Justify it in your drug-addled brain however you want, but the reality is no one who knows your condition will touch you with a 10 ft. pole.

Academy graduates have a better chance of receiving a pilot slot, but any officer who meets the minimum qualifications can get one.

apparently you only need the FIRST YEAR of a bachelor if you're a girl in this retarded gender exclusivity mess of ours
special privileges:
>All your university degree fees paid for
>A salary while you complete your flying hours
>Your practical flying hours paid for, and
>As little as three years service obligation after receiving your wings.

>77 inches, or 6'4
Is that for fighter planes, or in general?

What do they do if youkve got a graduste degree?
Will a general beg you to enlist?

I meant to say ANY one who knows of your condition. You're an addict to a mind-altering drug. Either taper yourself off and reapply in a couple years or forget doing anything government or govt contract related.

Wrong. In México you need 10 for ultra light, 50 to work in transportation, and 100 for airline. Then at 300 you can become captain and be the main guy. Sorry that your system milks you for cash.

I met my husband in civilian commercial ground school before he was accepted into naval flight training.

The training to be a military pilot is definitely more intense than training to be a civilian pilot. The medicals and other tests (ergonomics, etc) are alot more involved. If you are Navy/MC and going to the boat, there are extra eye exams/depth perception tests that exceed the FAA medicals for civilians.

There is a lot of math involved so they screen for that aptitude as well.

There is alot of pressure as well. Every flight is a graded flight. I don't know about the USAF but in the N/MC, your grades go out to four decimal points as your final grade determines who gets assigned to what aircraft so it's highly competitive.

Some of the non-flying tests I am not sure I would have been able to pass. The helo dunker for example. I would have panicked and failed.

False, i worked on F18s and others for many years. Im 6'1", fit in cockpit just fine with canopy closed. Quite comfy, too.

>In México
There's your problem.

Applicant here--this user speaks the truth. You better be 20/20, perfect hearing and not a single medical issue.

You're still not making an actual argument, rather flailing about like a retard since I called you out for making a dumbass conflation.

>but the reality is no one who knows your condition will touch you with a 10 ft. pole.

No federal agency has similar restrictions and the US military at-large has been easing their restrictions for the last year on those taking dextroamphs.

You want to try again, or are you done shitting the bed?

>flag
>husband
Get the fuck out of here you faggot.

>Even Burger King keeps the experienced people away from the newbies.

I don't know about military but I know a lot of airline pilots who browse Sup Forums. Pilots are largely conservative white men.

>wanting to fly airplanes
What are you 12
>not jumping out of airplanes
Fucking cucks

The beta pilot vs the Chad Paratrooper. Get rekt legs. Keep on dreaming

SR71 was retired 17 years ago. Satellites do their job now.

Please, go and try and apply. I'll wait.

i was a military pilot, ama i guess

yes, lots of manlets, some tall guys too, can't be too tall or you'd leave your legs behind in the event of an ejection

depends on the country, big budget = lots of hours

no need to be good at maths, just some formulas to learn

this is mostly correct, it's impossible if you're not lucky enough to be medically fit, but stuff like high Gs you can train for

>the best counter he can make

Absolutely pathetic

I'm 6 foot 5 and have giant shoulders and I used to take meds for anxiety can I fly planes?

What a fucking waste of taxpayer's cash
>imma defending our freedom
*bombs innocents*

HAHAHA.

Go talk to an OSO and get back to me.

The Marines are hurting for pilots because its a branch where you need to learn to lead marines on the ground first, then you can become a pilot. Also the wing is in horrible shape right now. Not many people can qualify to be both an aviator and a PT stud in the marines.

Naval aviation requires you to be a genius so good luck getting into that also.

Army aviation allows enlisted to become warrant officers to fly but now you have to compete against the unwashed masses of the enlisted.

And air force, well possibly the best deal out there but last time I checked they were super competitive also and they were pushing people into drones.

Suprised the AF are hurting for fixed wing pilots because when I was in quantico everybody wanted to fly fixed wing in the marines but couldnt get into the AF OCS. There must be something going on there also with their wing being in bad shape.

user is lying. The Air Force and Navy prefer if the candidates have no prior flight experience.

No, it depends on the number of slots that open and up and projected future needs.

Academy guys don't have any advantage over other officers. It's based on cutting scores.

Identify as a woman then

I've already told you that no one will accept your medical condition. You refuse to believe the reality of the situation. Get over it!

That's why they do not lie about UFO's.

The military loves tradition, so officers need degrees no matter how useless.

When you sit down and think about why you have 2 classes of workers in the military. The answer is that in the past you didn't have enough people that could read or write, and you couldn't trust them to follow an order.

Those are no longer valid reasons so the solution is no longer valid. But the military loves tradition and hates history. The two most important reasons to military victory in the past was technological and method superiority, and training or ability superiority. A military that sticks to tradition even when that tradition is no longer valid is ignoring victories that came from innovation.

Yea it depends on branch, navy and AF have a higher percentage than army and marines because of the nature of the jobs. I think it was 1-12 officers to the enlisted when i was in the marines.

And no way, Navy wouldnt take anybody who wasnt a math or engineering major when i was applying.

Marines would take anything like my accounting degree hence why I chose that route. But its because there is a 30% drop rate at OCS among men. So finding a PT stud who is also a natural leader and math major is harder to find than just 2 of those.

Chicks can be faggots?
You learn something new everyday.
Unless you're not aware of the 99's.
GTFO.

>no need to be good at maths, just some formulas to learn
For real? Because when I say shit I really mean shit.

It depends on how long your legs are actually because of the ejection seat. They will measure you out during your flight physical.

That's unbelievably dangerous. And a reason I never fly turd world flag carriers.

have you ever been hard in the cockpit?

>military asks me to interview repeatedly
>i post story on here
>some random user is obsessed with it

k guy

>I've already told you that no one will accept your medical condition.

and I should care why?

Your entire post has centered around insulting me for taking dextroamphs, rather than making any substantive addition to this thread, fuckwad.

Yeah except Air Force OTS is backed up until 2019 or some absurd shit like that.

Tits or fuck off back to r.e.d.d.i.t you cunt.

all you need is to be 5'6" and have a giant ego