Biggest technological challenge in mankind's history

And the country at the forefront of development is once again Germany.

How come it is always Germany that has to advance mankind when it comes to tough new engineering?

Other urls found in this thread:

hsx.wisc.edu
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The virgin Tokamak
The Chad stellarator

They understand the concept of investing in technology AND they have the capital to do so. Unlike the US which lacks the former and the vast majority of other countries which lack the latter.

Virgin magnetic containment models
Chad Z-machine

>containment strategy
>isn't that just west germany for immigrants

kek

what are those machines and what they do?

the purpose of the heat is to make a turbine move to generate electricity?

If you want the best degree in engineering you have to go to Germany.

Spend less time nerding shit and more time fuckin german women instead letting sandniggers doing that for you

So what's up with those topics? I see them regularly, is anything really happening or not?

>meanwhile in germany
top kek

Nuclear fusion reactor

is there any way to buy a scale model of a stellarator. those things look future af.

>Biggest technological challenge
How to get rid of these godamn floaters in my eyes
There are so many of them but apparently there's no real way of helping
Damn near everyone has them to one degree or another come on just start working on that

Yes.

can anyone explain precisely HOW it is that the stellerator even produces energy? how do you get a net effect when you need energy to contain the plasma?

Sounds cool and all, but will this help achieve some kind of facility on the moon or Mars? I'd like to die knowing our kind has the means to escape this hellhole full of subhumans.

It generates heat, put it in water and it creates steam.
Steam drives the turbines.
Turbines create electricity.

This was design by a computer program hans.

P.s it cost billions and does NOTHING! Kek

>Wasting fucktons of money on meme "fusion" and virtue signalling "solar" vanity projects while based pragmatic USA re-shapes the entire world economy and security situation with shale oil hydrofracking revolution.
JUST

Mostly, Germany is far less prone to bouts of anti-intelectualism that the US and China are.

It has not yet been able to produce as much power as it takes to drive. But we can create helium with it.

the tokamak is located in china though

It would be much safer and creates more bang for less nuclear material.
It would solve our oil problem.

I heard if it would melt down it would be a just few hundred meters of nuclear fallout instead of the size whole province or city.

>what are those machines and what they do?
Free energy. With it you can have 100% e-cars, 100% free robots, 100% free vibrators, vertical farming etc.

Yes. Steam turbines remain the most efficient way of transforming heat energy into rotational energy.

So it's a posh kettle?

Wew lad

Just wait till the next generation of Germans take over.

Turbines are beautiful. Invented by Germany.

Basically the in the plasma protons fusion to He and generating a lot of energy that escapes. Basically its just a fancy oven. With that you can generate steam etc.

Ah, the truth comes out.

Nope
Charles Paraons- British

Parsons*

If you got a 24/7 small river or brook with flowing water on your property.

You can make water wheel and slap generator on that, or a turbine if the water goes really fast.

Free energy all day everyday.

refugee magnet?

You get energy by fusion of atoms, a lot of energy.
But to contain it in a chamber, so plasma won't melt chamber walls is the biggest challenge. By their calculations you need less energy to contain it than you get. Some say 1:15 others optimistically says 1:20.
>Pic related is real project, that will produce these magic numbers.
It's gonna be experimental one, like all the others, but this one is on very big scale and realistic. A lot of cash is involved. It's promising.
How do they take that energy out? who knows I ask this question myself for a long time. Probably trade secrets, since few countries are involved. And they will want their own return.
How do you take energy from plasma when you constantly try to push it from chamber walls?

Yes, dams work kinda the same but with pure water.

Yeah, but for pedophilia and waffles, your country is hard to beat.

so if you're using energy to heat up a thing that heats up water, shouldn't you just heat up water instead?

so the energy used to fuse atoms is less than the energy that is created by the fusion? (theoretically speaking)

You mean the one you copied from the University of Wisconsin?

hsx.wisc.edu

>can anyone explain precisely HOW it is that the stellerator even produces energy? how do you get a net effect when you need energy to contain the plasma?

1. Take deuterium and some tritium and/or helium-3.

2. Heat up to plasma.

3. Switch on the magnets around the coils, inject into coils.

4. Plasma is moving around stellarator alongside the field lines created by the magnets.

5. Fusion at that point isn't happening much at all due to low energy per particle.

6. Use microwaves to heat up plasma. Fusion increases due to more energetic particles.

7. At some point, as long as you do not lose magnetic confinement, fusion events become so numerous, the energy released (mostly in form of high energy neutrons) goes way up and heats plasma by itself without requiring more microwaving.

8. High energy neutrons hit the coil walls. Water or molten salt adjacent to coil walls are being heated up by the neutron bombardment.

9. Water or molten salt is circulated through heat exchanger all the time or is directly used to drive steam turbines.

10. Eh voila, electricity. Part of the generated electricity has to go back into the pumps and cooling for the superconducting magnets (in operational fusion plants, it will be liquid nitrogen, unless our high temp superconductors have some further major breakthrough and we get closer to room temp superconductors).

PROFIT

You should be proud American has already has the perfect solution for power. With the liquid thorium salt reactor. Pic related It actually produces energy too.

>P.s it cost billions and does NOTHING! Kek
Wud? It does fusion and costs 1 billion.

It's because of all those engineers & Scientists you invited over to Europe.

thank you for your reply, i really appreciate the information

Thats Wallonia, but the waffles are ours.
We got some good nuclear science degrees here though, and medicines, weapons engineering, electronics.

Because German engeneering is superior.

Steam turbines yes, turbines no.

Just wondering if ITER will actually work as anticipated.
Yeah I know it's just a proof of concept.

Good goy

Credit for invention of the steam turbine is given both to British engineer Sir Charles Parsons (1854–1931) for invention of the reaction turbine, and to Swedish engineer Gustaf de Laval (1845–1913) for invention of the impulse turbine

yes, initially you use energy to heat till it's plasma, but if you contain that temperature, fusion gets easier and you get free energy.

>the tokamak is located in china though
Which one would that be?

ITER, international project in Cadarache, France; 500 MW; construction began in 2010, first plasma expected in 2020.

1983: Joint European Torus (JET), in Culham, United Kingdom

1985: JT-60, in Naka, Ibaraki Prefecture, Japan; (Currently undergoing upgrade to Super, Advanced model)

1987: STOR-M, University of Saskatchewan; Canada; first demonstration of alternating current in a tokamak.

1988: Tore Supra,[16] at the CEA, Cadarache, France

1989: Aditya, at Institute for Plasma Research (IPR) in Gujarat, India

1980s: DIII-D,[17] in San Diego, United States; operated by General Atomics since the late 1980s

1989: COMPASS,[14] in Prague, Czech

1991: ISTTOK,[19] at the Instituto de Plasmas e Fusão Nuclear, Lisbon, Portugal;

1991: ASDEX Upgrade, in Garching, Germany

1992: H-1NF (H-1 National Plasma Fusion Research Facility)[20] based on the H-1 Heliac device built by Australia National University's plasma physics group and in operation since 1992

1992: Tokamak à configuration variable (TCV), at the EPFL, Switzerland

1995: HT-7, in Hefei, at the Institute of Plasma Physics, China

1999: MAST, in Culham, United Kingdom

1999: NSTX in Princeton, New Jersey

1999: Globus-M in Ioffe Institute, Saint Petersburg, Russia

2006: EAST (HT-7U), in Hefei, at The Hefei Institutes of Physical Science, China

2008: KSTAR, in Daejon, South Korea (ITER member)

2010: JT-60SA, in Naka, Japan (ITER member); upgraded from the JT-60.

2012: Medusa CR, in Cartago, at The Instituto Tecnológico de Costa Rica, Costa Rica

2012: SST-1, in Gandhinagar, at the Institute for Plasma Research, India (ITER member)

2012: ST25 at Tokamak Energy at Culham, Oxfordshire, UK (now at Milton Park)[23]

2014: ST25 (HTS) the first tokamak to have all magnetic fields formed from high temperature superconducting magnets, at Tokamak Energy based in Oxfordshire, UK

Yes, for the steam turbines.
But not for the concept of turbine itself.

>its sticks hydrogen together at massive energy cost.

It's a great idea but how about you get it to work before you show off?

>coil walls are being heated up by the neutron bombardment
that's the answer I was looking for
Thank you.

was it energy positive ,the x7 ?

>You see a 6 feet high column of steaming shit slowly oozing through the streets
>I see scientists who are going to solve fusion energy.

Yeah, those were weak bantz. Sorry.

They can do it. Energy to output means it isnt commercial.

That and its not cheap building and maintaining the structure itself. The heat fucks the reactor up eventually.

>Making yourself energy independant by 2018 so you can remain the worlds superpower for another generation and laugh when europe and china suffer enormous debt collapses.
>still expect alternative energy to surpass oil in price/performance relatively soon because it's growing exponentially
>not falling for virtue signalling or (((Climate change))) memes meant to enrich Al Gore and politically connected startups like Solyndra
kek. Solar and other alternatives will get here, when they become cheaper than oil.

fusion is decades away from commercial use and since at the moment Germany is at helm of developing it the reactors will be over engineered as fuck and cost of the first iterations will be astronomical

don't get me wrong, the cost of the fuel is negligible compared to the cost of building and maintaining one even with the reactors of today

thus it will not suddenly solve the world problems in any significant way, not at least in the next 100 years

it's easy with so many engineers , you guys are so lucky

The funding will be cut as the next elections will be won by Greens who gained support thanks to naturalization act of 2019, merkele thought she'll have these niggers voting for her for the next 100 years when enacting it. I'm a time traveller btw

Built 10 years before the German one at a shitty public university in Wisconsin. Why is Germany so behind?

>fusion is decades away from commercial use and since at the moment Germany is at helm of developing it the reactors will be over engineered as fuck and cost of the first iterations will be astronomical

Does Germany have coal power plants? Check

Does Germany have fission power plants? Check

Does Germany have solar cell plants? Check

Does Germany have wind power plants? Check

Does Germany have hydro power plants? Check

does Germany have biomass plants? Check

Does Germany have geothermal plants? Check

Is any of this shit overengineered? No

>being this retarded
The wendelstein x7 hans talks about wasn't created to produce electricity ,it is expected to be energy positive in the end if thats true we have infinite energy at our whim billions is nothing for such an invention

Germany is a bipolar country.
Half of the time is used creating new technology.
Other half is used to fuck up Europe.

Isn't this JETS thing miles ahead though?

Guess what, those orcs might have feelings. They might have wishes and ideas and plans for the future. They might just be stuck in a fascist system which makes them do horrible stuff.

Well played sir.

>The funding will be cut as the next elections will be won by Greens
Funding for research and development is going up to 3.5% of GDP according to the current JAmaika agreements. That is the highest R&D percentage of any country in this world.

Ahmm, no?

well, for the most part in the last 200 years european inventors fled europe to create their products in the rich american economy, now american inventors leave and all USA will soon have is bragging rights they "created it first" without actually benefiting from it

Yea but i rather see a world whiteout OPEC and Saudi Arabia being relevant.

It's coming sooner than I hoped it would.

>mostly in form of high energy neutrons

Not dangerous at all.

That's a lot of copper

if you work at the project please publish the design by mistake,or make the controls in german as an islamic calipaht with fusion energy is quite scary

Except once greens win they will cut it as research facilities will be deemed too white and culturally incompatible with the new germans as they will call naturlized nogs. Most ethnic German mem have moved to different country by 2027 anyway

>being that full of shit
Hanz is bragging about the future of engineering Im just pointing out hes actually quite stupid considering (((tough new engineering))) would have solved the longevity of fusion reactors. But I wouldn't expect a poo in loo to understand that.

Stick to asking about vagenes and bobs.

>Not dangerous at all.
Nope. Not dangerous at all. Happens all the time in fission reactors.

>Except once greens win
Greens got the shaft in Austria and are about to get the shaft in Germany.

All these people are missing the point and are describing how fusion works.

We have to apporaches to Fusion on Earth: MCF - magnetic fields contain plasma and cause fusion(MCF) or ICF: iridated stuff with a very high power laser(see National Ignition Facility(NIF))

First a stellartor and tokamak operate in similar ways, they have two magnetic fields(polodial and torodial) which contain the particles in chamber and as such, are referred to as MCF.

Both of these want to reach an ignition stage(where the E_out > E_in). Below, I will discuss the two approaches in these machines.

The tokamak is simpler in design. It also requires us to drive current through it which means interfering with the state of the plasma and often leads to a variety of instabilities.

The stellartor, due to its more complex geometry and therefore fields, does not require this and this means that we do not need to interfere with the plasma - better temperatures!

More work has been done on Tokamaks due to them coming around first(the russians were the first) and cheaper due to the simple geometry. With the largest fusion devices in MCF: JET & ITER(being built concurrently) being of tokamak design. There are some stellartors i.e. Germany and they do look quite promising. Also, Princeton is very good on their stellartors too.

A side note, some people are suggesting that we use liquid lithium walls. This is because we require to "breed" tritium to keep our fusion reaction going, One of my friends is working on this, looks pretty cool.

Source: Just finished my PhD on tokamaks.

Reminder that the algorithm used to design the stellarator chamber was developed at pic related.

>i cannot read the post
jamal physics isnt applicable in the real world ,read the reactor i mentioned i've been following it for years it is our best hope

>fund gay, faggy sci-fi nerd magnet unicorn shit
or
>fund widespread opioid use and trip balls 24/7
we're getting high every time, man

>Biggest technological challenge in mankind's history
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA says who? FICH AUF FAGGOT

so are we still at 20 years away or what m8

>Is any of this shit overengineered? No

are you daft, all the above mentioned is overengineered, I have friends working in our nuclear power plant, since EU and all that jazz constant modifications and upgrades are going along, whenever something german goes off, the entire thing (even the simple ones) must be either returned back for repairs or certified engineers must be shipped across for the maintenance ( sure we have insurances and company liabilities etc. ) but the cost for repairs and maintained is exuberant as fuck

now we are talking about a bran new technology... it will cost monumental amounts of money

Not the only "biggest change" you've ever been behind though, is it?

it will happen prior to the proliferation of fusion reactors

>does germany have energy independence from Russian/persian gulf oil?
No.
>does germany have supercarriers to protect oil shipments from the person gulf without the US help?
No.
>What happens when Saudi Arabia and Iran get into a shooting war and blockade the strait of hormuz and blow up eachother's oil infrastructure?
Either you suck Putin's cock or your lights go out.

50 years m8y.

The reactor isn't sustainable because it suffers from the same problem, the materials are not able to withstand the heat indefinitely. Meaning you need energy intensive production methods to build and rebuild the reactor.

Hans is here is saying they are experimenting with different methods of containing the plasma - good for him. Its better than whatever shit for brains ideas you can come up with.

Now go fuck yourself or better still how about getting the Indian science agencies to figure out why India cannot poo in loos and fixing it?