New York Thread: Voting Edition

Reminder to New York Citizens to vote today.

ballotpedia.org/Municipal_elections_in_New_York,_New_York_(2017)#General_election
For NYC. Nicole Malliotakis Our Girl

The three props:
New York Proposal 1, the Constitutional Convention Question
New York Proposal 2, the Pension Forfeiture for Convicted Officials Amendment
New York Proposal 3, the Forest Preserve Land Bank Amendment

Other urls found in this thread:

businessinsider.com/new-york-constitutional-convention-vote-pros-cons-2017-11
youtube.com/watch?v=FRRMFMVIoVc
youtube.com/watch?v=Y8Gs5XDR5y0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

do republicans have any chance of winning the mayoral election?

It's kind of shaky. On one hand, even democrats hates Bill de Blasio. On the other, they are democrats that will vote for their party despite the corruption.

It will be interesting to see this one play out. Do they deny a woman in chance to be in office despite the drivel they been spitting out since Nov 8 2016? The hypocrisy is real.

CUNY student here. I haven't even heard much about this race. I guess turnout among young voters will be very, very low.

Sadly that seems to be the case. Younger people are more focused on what happens every 4 years than the elections between them, so they aren't really the main demographics.

>forgetting Virginia

I never watch TV so I suppose the local news outlets like NY1 have been talking about it, so because I just get all my news from select Internet sources (that don't directly involve local NYC news) that's probably why I haven't heard much.

demographics in my neighborhood in queens changing quickly the past couple years. polling place was quiet but the few people there voting were all young nu-whites.
how'd you guys vote on the ballot proposals? I voted yes, no, yes.

Fresh Meadows here. I'm guessing you're in Long Island City or Astoria?

Im in Staten Island and i can tell you from what i see around here there is no way Prop 1 will pass, the teachers union are scared shit about it. also upstate will never break free from the NYC grip.. But i do feel for upstate they are not treated very well.

Basically none, the polls but Deblasio at 61% support with the republican having only 17%.

Wait, you voted no on the pensions revocation for felonies bit (item 2)?
I plan to vote yes for all three, but I don't see the constitutional convention passing for the reasons states. Brother is a teacher and there's "VOTE NO" signs everywhere.

Don't listen to the cucks IRL that tell you to vote no. Vote YES!

I haven't voted yet, later today i will vote yes to all three.
I'm a registered Independent but i mostly votes Republican not that it matters much the infestation of left/far left leaning democrats has me worried about NYC/NY future... and im a POC too.

I haven't been following the issues at all. what's the story on the land bank amendment? y/n?

Well, if you vote yes it will do the following:
>create a 250-acre land bank, which would allow local governments to request state Forest >Preserve land for qualifying projects in exchange for the state adding 250 new acres to the preserve; and
>Allow bike paths, sewer lines, and utility lines within the width of highways on preserve land.

A bump for you OP, I'm glad someone's talking about the election. So many states are voting, and there isn't even a sticky. At least New York cares.

I meant yes, yes, yes

I voted yes on the pension thing, truly not sure why I said no there.

Right now any improvement project in the Adirondack or Catskills for infrastructure can't be done without individual constitutional amendments authorizing the project This means when there's an issue with bridge safety or an aggressive curve on a road or highway or a utility pole needs to be stabilized it's basically impossible to get the land.

Basically the towns in the Catskills and Adirondacks would get access to a state based account of 250 acres to those preserves for such improvement projects when there is no alternative but touching protected forest land. The state would have the right of approval but it wouldn't require a constitutional amendment.

The environmentalists are for the requirement because it forces NY to add another 250 acres of protected land and protect that forest, while maintaining the requirement that projects try to avoid touching forest land and if they do so, they minimally do it to the degree required.

People living in those regions are for it because it allows badly needed infrastructure improvements in the Adirondack and catskill parks. some of the roads and highways are just dangerous in their current state.

Basically no reason to vote no.

League of women voters says for argument yes:
>Local governments, elected officials, and the Department of Environmental Conservation all support this amendment. Supporters feel it is necessary in order for these regions to maintain the safety of residents and ensure that quality of life is maintained. Environmental advocacy groups typically resist amendments to the “forever wild” clause but this proposal has received support from many New York State environmental groups. This proposal is similar to previous amendments for state highways and land restoration projects.

and no:
>The League did not find any groups opposing this amendment.

sounds good, thanks user.

WNY here, don’t forget niggers, back of your ballot cast your vote for Constitutional Convention

Some dude in last night's thread said he was voting "no" because it would let towns destroy the forest, and instead of having one huge contiguous forest, it would be clumps here and there.

Not sure if he's right, anyone living in the Adirondacks have more info?

Do we know if Nicole Malliotakis is /our girl/ or is it just because she's a republican?

My parents live up there in Fulton County (within the adirondack park) and that's not true. The towns have to buy property at fair market value from the state equivalent to the amount of land that is disturbed within the current park. This is about moving bad utility poles and eliminating dangerous curves on roads, not about mass development.

>A town, village, or county can apply to the land account if it has no viable alternative to using forest preserve land for certain limited health and safety purposes. Those purposes are (1) to address bridge hazards or safety on county highways and certain town highways; (2) to eliminate the hazards of dangerous curves and grades on county highways and certain town highways; (3) to relocate, reconstruct, and maintain county highways and certain town highways; and (4) for water wells and necessary related accessories located within 530 feet of a state highway, county highway, or certain town highway, where needed to meet drinking water quality standards. The State will acquire 250 acres, subject to approval by the Legislature, to incorporate into the forest preserve to replace the land placed in the health and safety land account.

>Second, if passed, the proposed amendment will allow bicycle paths and specified types of public utility lines to be located within the widths of state, county, and certain town highways that traverse forest preserve land. The work on the bicycle paths and utility lines must minimize the removal of trees and vegetation. And, if passed, the proposed amendment will allow a stabilization device (such as a guy wire) for an existing utility pole to be located near the width of a highway when necessary to ensure public health and safety and when no other viable option exists. The proposed amendment expressly will not permit the construction of a new intrastate gas or oil pipeline that did not receive necessary state and local permits and approvals by June 1, 2016.

Leary of a CC. Yes on 2 and prob 3.

Anyone on here from Greene County? I used to hate it but now I miss it.

Do you plan to drown 90% of NYC voters? De Blasio's grasp last time was insane

It sounds good on paper but I suspect that certain rapidly expanding, single demographic towns up in Orange, Rockland and Sullivan counties will be able to seize nearby resources in trade for worthless acres elsewhere.

Upstate NYer here and we absolutely need to vote yes for the Constitutional Convention. Fuck the NY State Government and Cuomo. It'll take a lot of time and effort but we need our own governing body that has next to zero interest in NYC

Yeah but won't the same shitty people be in charge of that too?

here
>Proposal 3 of 2017 would allow the use of land for qualifying projects in the state Forest Preserve without a constitutional amendment for each land-use proposal until 250 acres are used. The amendment would also allow bike paths, sewer lines, and electric, telephone, and broadband lines within the width of highways. Municipalities would be allowed to use acres in the land bank or the width of highways exception to address bridge and road hazards, water wells to meet drinking water standards, water or sewer lines, public utility lines, and bicycle paths. Projects designed to use state Forest Preserve land for anything else would still require a constitutional amendment.

Both the left and the right are opposed to the constitutional convention for different reasons.

Supporters of it think it will help overcome entrenched interests while opposition is worried about entrenched interests.

Pretty much anyone with a state funded pension or union job is opposing it because they're worried that the pensions will be reduced/cut or the protections within their union will be reduced/eliminated. The scaremongering by teachers includes the possibility that we'll constitutionally amend free public education, etc.

Some elected officials are concerned that big interests will advertise constitutional measures to get their way in the constitution. Environmentalists are worried that they will gut or eliminate the Adirondack and Catskill protected areas.
NRA opposes it as they're worried it will be used as a way to attack gun rights.

The city, which usually has a disproportionate effect on state politics (due to the population) because there are way more senate districts in upstate than downstate, and it's three people (for convention) per state senate district. So upstate would get more power in the process.

If Upstate gets more power than I am all for it then, as long as NYC doesn't run it.

Not really. If things go correctly we could have our own sibling government running along with NYC/ the current one.
businessinsider.com/new-york-constitutional-convention-vote-pros-cons-2017-11

>If the question passes, residents of each state Senate district will choose three delegates to a constitutional convention, and 15 more will be elected statewide.
>That convention would be tasked with proposing a menu of amendments to the state constitution — or even an entirely new one — which would be put before voters for approval or rejection in 2019.

That's the devil's advocate. The job pays ~$80K per year for a year and it's tough for people to leave the private sector, do politics, and just jump back in. So people will run either backed by special interests or already entrenched in politics.

Most of those counties won't have access. Sullivan will but Orange and Rockland won't. And the ballot measure specifically states that the change:
> “no viable alternative” means that no other option exists for the eligible project to address ongoing public health or safety concerns other than through the use of state lands.
And defines limited ways in which changes can be made:

>(a) addressing bridge hazards;
>(b) eliminating dangerous curves and grades on roads;
>(c) relocating, maintaining, or reconstructing local highways and associated culverts provided that no relocated portion is over one mile long;
(>d) water wells located within 530 feet of state or local highways; and
>(e) stabilization devices for existing utility poles next to highways.

Who here /Astoria/? I voted for our girl in Ps70

>tfw NY is basically a one party state at this point
>tfw virtually zero chance of us ever getting rid of Cuomo and his cronies
>tfw soon to be

The only people who support it are Jew lawyers. There are so many interest groups against it that I've in turn sided against it. When fags, blacks, firefighters, cops, feminazis, and gun owners are all on the same side you know something is fucked up.

"Land Bank" just reeks of scammery.
"Here is my deposit of 5 acres of rural upstate land, and my withdrawal slip for 5 acres of waterfront property in the Hamptons that can now be developed as long as I stabilize that utility pole."

Are we really sure that Malliotakis is /our girl/?
Another Queen user, /Kew Gardens/ here
Those guys on HWNDU were from Astorie too
youtube.com/watch?v=FRRMFMVIoVc

Unless Upstate gets off the barrel and stops NYC and Albany from fucking us in the ass, then there's no reason to fight back.
I agree, but I'd rather have a state with those groups of people in them still AND have a state government that doesn't fuck us all over. NY is fucked if we have both

Bo Dietl should be our guy, but he's splitting up the opposition to de Blasio

The number one group against it is anybody in a union job or getting state pensions. They are concerned that the regulations making it impossible to fire lazy/incompetent union labor are retained by not amending the constitution.

Gun owners are a secondary. They're concerned the libs will hijack it as a way to pass further sweeping gun restrictions.

It's also not sweeping. Some gun owners think that you could enshrine gun protections by changing the constitution, and the LGBTBBQ+ people think that they will be able to get support for more transgender rights, term limits on legislatures, eliminate campaign finance loopholes, etc...

That's not how it works. They'll be able to address hazardous roads and bridges, water wells near state/local highways, and stabilizing utility poles. It's not going to be open season on construction.

Too bad he didn't choose a party
I like his unscripted firey personality, it's reminiscent of the charm of Trump

Fuck I meant Queens not queen
Now I look like a fucking fairy

He didn't not choose. The NY Dems and Pubs alike can't stand him. I wouldn't call him /ourguy/ by any means. He's a shady fuck.

HWNDU veteran here. One of these days we should all reconvene at the Museum of Moving Images and share memories

Wow, lots of Queens Anons here. Is this because of HWNDU?

I'm in Jew Gardens Hills. Nobody here is voting for DiBlasio, the neighborhood went for Albanese in the primaries and it's going to go for Malliotakis today.

>the neighborhood went for Albanese
>Albanese lost
Let's hope the niggers and people who just want status quo stay home tonight

It only applies to the Catskills and the Adirondacks, which are specifically protected in the state constitution. The Hamptons wouldn't come into it.

But I can see a scenario of "Here is my deposit of 5 acres of rural upstate land, and my withdrawal slip for 5 acres of waterfront property by the Finger Lakes that can now be developed as long as I stabilize that utility pole."

Possibly.

It's always nice to know that the most powerful man in the world is from where we live, don't you think.

here
Basically unions have the most to lose because they're concerned that NY may reduce the power of pensions (NY is currently a pretty strong state).

Everybody else is on the fence. Groups with no realistic way to achieve what they want otherwise like Divide NY (into two separate states) want it.

The optimists on both the left and right think they will be able to get things guaranteed on the state level in the constitution that they would not get otherwise. Trannies think they'll get statewide bathroom rights, gun owners think they'll get protections.

If you're a pessimist, then you see the convention as a risk of having shit you don't want passed into it. Some liberals are worried that the constitutional amendments could cut off abortions while some conservatives worry that they might make access to mandatory abortions in the constitutional convention; some gun owners are worried that they might use it to shoehorn in further restrictions on gun ownership than there are already, etc.

Upstate is generally more in favor of the convention because the senate districting gives NYC less power per person and upstate more.

However, whatever ballot initiatives end up due to a constitutional convention end up on the 2019 ballot anyways, at which point it's up to the state to reject them.

The whole thing could be a potential boondoggle for two reasons:
1) Anything that benefits upstate is more likely to get passed by a majority at the convention as upstate NY is far more conservative and will have disproportionate influence due to the way reps are picked.

2) Anything that they approve appears as a ballot question on the 2019 ballot for new yorkers for a majority vote yea or nay. The city (overwhelmingly liberal) is likely to reject anything against their ideas.

So basically 2019 election will probably have a bunch of conservative proposals on it and then NYC shoots them down on the 2019 ballot anyways.

>New York goes blue and double down on left wing identity politics

I'm shocked.

Queens and Brooklyn are half the city's population

I kind of doubt it as the local townships have to buy the land in the bank at "fair market value" from the state. As far as clearing multiple acres for a residential or commercial purpose, the transaction would be hard to justify.

>Eligible projects shall not include the use of chemicals/herbicides for clearing state land; the removal of trees and vegetation shall be minimized and the area shall promptly be restored to pre-project conditions to the maximum extent practicable.

ok Sup Forums how should I vote?

>voting yes on stealing pensions from corrupt officials

I know corruption is fucking gay, but you're giving the state more power to seize assets without due process. That's never good.

Depends where you live in the state

Divide NY into four states (Upstate, Western NY, Long Island and 'The City aka Sodom and Gomorrah') when?

What's the official Sup Forums way to vote

>past couple of years
ridgewood confirmed. nigga LIC went full hipster over a decade ago

>Manhattan is only 43.3% white

Isn't it only for people who've been convicted, like Silver and Selkos?

That's reassuring. Thank you.

Yeah. We finally have a President from Queens!

It's quite possible, people have been telling me Mallotakis has been running a very targeted campaign, trying to get those on the fence to vote for her.
I don't like some of her positions, so I might vote for Deitel or Alabnese again. Anyone but DeBalsio 2017.

Write in m00t for every seat. He lives in NYC, he's eligible. Remember, the fact that you vote is as important as who you vote for. Politicians watch the demographics of who voted and who didn't, to know which groups to cater to.

It's not without due process. They have to be convicted of a felony in direct relationship to their duties. If they hit and run somebody and get convicted of manslaughter, they keep their pension. If they are corrupt as part of their job, and do a felony in relationship to that job, then a court can reduce or revoke their pension upon them either voluntarily pleading guilty or after a jury of their peers finds them guilty of a felony in relation to the job they did.

This would only impact crimes done after 2017, but you have people like Joyce Mitchell, a prison seamstress who helped two prisoners escape by smuggling them drill bits and hacksaws so they could escape, and she is still being paid a pension by NY state.

If you marry someone and they make their money selling drugs, and they get caught, then the government seizes ill gotten gains and you lose access to that money. A pension for an elected official should be the same insofar that it should be potentially revocable upon finding someone guilty of a felony related to their job.

If you were an accountant for NY State, and you knew that you would lose your pension if you got caught cooking the books, you probably would be very careful to make sure that you stayed legal in the performance of your duties, right? You would definitely be more motivated than the current situation, where you could risk it and your family + self would still get your state paid pension after your conviction.

upstate leeches taxes from the city. the shittiest parts of new york have nothing on the average parts of syracuse/utica/rochester/etc
>t.guy from upstate who lives in the city

manhattan voting yes for weed.

the albany empire has already said weed straight up has zero chance of becoming legal period. they don't care that it will be in MA on Jan 1, won't care even if NJ legalizes next year, would rather lose the revenue and keep hurting/extorting the little guy. remember most police contact in NY not traffic related is due to weed and it continues to give cops the power to say "i smell marijuana" and then rummage through the vehicle to find any and every "violation"/source of revenue as is still standard procedure in a lot of the smaller towns/counties that think the sh*t that happens to NYPD cops could *never happen to them* and rely on the revenue from the municipal court because these practices have been enshrined in the NY/NJ police code for decades. i think, lowkey weed (or anything that else could restrict the police or muni court revenue) is what they're really afraid of. they know the pensions, ETC is all BS that will get shot down because each proposal gets voted on by itself. a proposal for weed would absolutely be voted in. we also don't have ballot initiative like CA which could be added in and that scares those in power.

If De Blasio wins, you think he's gonna improve anyway whatsoever? He seems to have a real bad image, from what I seen, what can be done?

moot moved out to the bay area it seems. His twitter profile says "Bay Area, CA" for location.

nassau and suffolk counties are already the sixth and seventh boroughs

That might work, since it give both parties two states they dominate.

If we call NYC Sodom, we should call LI Babylon. What do we call Upstate and Western NY?

"abandon all hope" and "ye who enter here"

Suffolk here.

Westchester is way more cucked than we are. We voted for Trump

Believe me most ppl Upstate would love to "Stop leeching" taxes from NYC by seceding from NY.

“Here be dragons”

Yeah I was at HWNDU too lol, so was a few of my friends. I went day one and a few other times

youtube.com/watch?v=Y8Gs5XDR5y0

I still remember this
New York isn't fully dead yet

Downstate pays a disproportionate share of taxes but upstate also has to fund programs they don't care about. NYC has more medicaid recipients for example.

The general divide proposal is not generally for a 51st state but to have a smaller shell state government that subsists on a 3% sales tax and then revert most stuff (common core, SAFER act, etc... about 3/4 of the laws) deleted and power given to the regions (2 or three depending on the proposal).

What reason does he have to improve? He's term limited, he's probably thinking of running for Governer and trying to unseat Cuomo in 5 years - the two hate each other.

He's much more likely to double down on liberal posturing to build himself up, while not actually accomplishing anything progressive because he's a corrupt faker.

>manhattan voting yes for weed.

Ending the drug war is important, but weed ain't on the ballot. Or do you mean geting the CC so we can change that?

>because each proposal gets voted on by itself

Why do people keep saying that? The delegates to the convention choose how it's presented to the voter - they're probably not going to have individual votes on each issue, because the average voter has no attention span. Last time we had a CC, 50 years ago, it was all presented as one package, and people voted "NO" because they didn't want to take the bad with the good.

He's gone full SJW hipster? What a shame.

This.

upstate generates something like 30% of the entire state's taxes total. just saying

she's not de Blasio, that's all that matters

however she backs Trump and Trump backs her so that's also good enough for me

So what? That number is meaningless by itself. You mean, there are less ppl up state? Less economics than downstate? No shit.
I'd gladly let NJ annex NYC.

i mean that new york city pays the fucking bills. upstate would be dying even faster without the constant influx of gibs from the city

If you incels think Nicole Malliotakis has any chance of winning you kids are livin in a pipe dream kek

This city will forever be a dem stronghold until the day it burns to the ground..

nigger we had 20 years of Republican mayors, and NO ONE likes de Blasio.

Unfortunately Dem's have no problem with corruption so you may be right, but there is still hope.

Plus its raining today so I can see dem supporters staying home

Right. Well, I wish Upstate had the chance to die on our own without the handouts from the benevolent kikes in NYC.

I'm not staying home :)

hahahahhaa

>"COME ON GOY JUST GIVE UP AND GIVE US YOUR CITIES"
>t. De Blasio Internet Defense Force

tell me straight up.
more de faggsio and his retarded son or competent republican?

>competent republican
>NY

heh... you gotta lot to learn kid..

Moot is from Queens himself. I saw him on the F train in Manhattan with his mom one time, back in early 2014.

The President of the United States and the founder of Sup Forums, both from the same general area.

>Or do you mean geting the CC so we can change that?

well, if it's not run by clowns either it will legalize directly or bring us ballot initiative which will lead to it.

again if it's not run by clowns, it'll be run in a way to not be a waste of money and at least let whatever amendments are more popular pass. i don't think the empire is prepared for a CC and if we vote yes autism must weaponize and promote delegates who will actually go there to change shit.

also voting for the rent is too damn high guy for council man and would gladly vote him for CC delegate

Hard to have a large city when we cut off you faggot's water supply

News articles stated he grew up in White Plains... he was then in NYC for a while. He gave up Sup Forums to Hiro and then joined Google in 2016. Assumedly between joining GOogle on March 7th, 2016 and present, he moved to California, because on that date his twitter profile listed his location as "New York, NY" and it now says "Bay Area, CA" as of today.

t. NYU arts and craft department
shut up faggot, fucking hate liberals i bet you ride your scooter to work, homo

>voting in new york

Yes, I'm sure one of these centuries my vote will count in this liberal shit hole.

move out if you're going to be a black pilled waste of space; you're as responsible for de Blasio as much as the nu male hipster cunts

That's actually the idea. Those of us with working brains are fleeing the state.

I think the bigger point is that after the 2016 election results nominating a republican mayor in NYC is basically impossible.

84% of black voters in NYC will vote for DeBlasio because they always vote dem.
65% of Hispanic voters go for DeBlasio because he wants to keep NYC a sanctuary city. Maliotakis is fourth place next to two minor party competitors because she wants to deport illegals.
even among white voters, because of liberals deblasio polls at 44 percent vs 32 percent for Malliotakis

These aren't the margins for Trump and after trump's victory you're not going to have the shy tory effect for a regional race.

go to Europe than, you'll fit right in with all the other cowards who lost their balls fighting for their home

I want to leave. I really do
But Upstate NY is my home and I enjoy the environment. I feel the need to stick around and fight for my state. Downstate / NYC isn't NY. Even if they beat us down, we need to keep getting back up and fight back