I remember coming out of a coffee shop in a coal mining town in Kentucky that had been dry for a long time and only...

>I remember coming out of a coffee shop in a coal mining town in Kentucky that had been dry for a long time and only recently the law was changed and it went wet,” he says. “I saw a miner on a sidewalk holding a beer. He was covered in coal dust head to toe, sitting in a chair, staring at the beer with condensation dripping off the can. He was struck dumb by the fact he could buy a beer after work.

can someone explain this shit to me? what does it mean for a town to go from dry to wet? why wouldn't people be able to buy beer after work?

do we even need coal mining anymore? fuck that shit, we should go green.

A memeflag nu-male will never understand concepts as a day of hard work and satisfaction at the end of it while chilling with a beer at home.

Fuckity fuck off

I’m just guessing here but it sounds like a permit issue. Poor mom and pop shops have to pay a lot of money to maintain permits to sell alcohol. Probably the law I had something to do with something that made it more difficult for the shop owners to carry the permit.If there’s nobody in town bothering to do that the town is dry?

the most effective green energy is always geothermal and hydro, which are very geographically based
wind and solar are a meme in comparison
there's no point in subsidising shit to make people use more expensive energy because human emissions don't do shit to the environment and even if they did it would cost more than the entire world's GDP to impact anything

In burger land, dry, in this case, means you cant drink liquor, wet means you can. The country Jack Daniels is made in, is a dry county,

>a filthy slav will never learn how to read with understanding

what else is new

wait what the fuck? wasn't prohibition killed like 100 years ago? there are still countries where you can't drink alcohol in USA?

>can someone explain this shit to me? what does it mean for a town to go from dry to wet?
Going from dry to wet is in reference to being able to buy alcohol. It has nothing to do with coal mining. For some reason, certain counties in the south still have holdover legislation from Prohibition.

being dry = you aren't allowed to BUY alcohol - you can drink it wherever you want

varies from city to city

>there are still countries where you can't drink alcohol in USA?
Its not that you cant drink alcohol, its that those counties prohibit the sale of alcohol.

>For some reason, certain counties in the south still have holdover legislation from Prohibition
kek. i literally had no idea.

>being dry = you aren't allowed to BUY alcohol - you can drink it wherever you want
that's just plain retarded

it's like your asshole gets wet before you put your buttplug in

All Prohibition did was make (most) alcohol illegal at the federal level. No reason why municipalities can't pass local anti-liquor laws today.

yeah well god fearing retards are scared of the spirits down south i guess. purely religious retardation

There are many counties in states in the Midwest and on the east coast that prohibit the sale of alcohol. Yeah it's stupid and very inconvenient. Funny thing is that many of these counties have huge problems with meth and opioids. No county bans the consumption of alcohol, though, so residents have to drive to nearby "wet" counties.

>that's just plain retarded

Says the europoor who is too inept to brew/distill his own alcohol

it means you can't purchase it in the town. thats all

Jeez, everyone itt must be underage. Dry means alcohol is prohibited, wet means the opposite.
Pretty sure you can still own it, you just can't buy it in the county.l

some states are "dry" on sunday or at certain periods like from 12am to 6am. bars are privately owned so they could be open 24/7, but I'm guessing there aren't many bars in middle of nowhere appalachia.

Its a baptist thing. My county in KY was dry til 15 years ago, and we just legalized sunday sales a few years ago. Damn baptists ruinin my buzz

>why wouldn't people be able to buy beer after work?
because their lives were so shitty, that they would get hard drunk to get away from it.
for communities to function, they had to be kept aware that life is torture.
p.s. can we get like philosophical flags?

also what kind of dumbass in appalachia doesn't know how to make moonshine.

Mississippi reporting in
my home county is still dry. the closest "wet" town had a drive thru beer barn.
You could buy a case of beer or a bottle of liquor without even getting out of your car.

pic semi-related

Dry counties exist because some fatass Boss Hogg type is either in or in bed with the county government and/or has a lot of pull with the local churches and also owns a speak easy, moonshining racket, or liquor stores just across the county line. It's always painted as a moral issue but it's always really about some small time back woods Don Corleone making extra money.
t. Kentuckyfag

>do we even need coal mining anymore

What are you, some kind of faggot?

Coming from a place where beer vending machines were available in factories and large companies the idea of a "wet" or "dry" town sounds pretty strange...

I grew up in a dry county and they were the most puritanical hypocritical judgemental bible thumping assholes I've ever met in my life.

The kind of people that would scorn you for 45 minutes and call the cops because you said "goddamnitt" while doing some work outside and they heard it.

And don't even get me started on the little pussy footed gossiping that even the "men" engage in

Here in Aus too. There are dry communities (in the middle of fucking nowhere in the outback) because abos get drunk and bash their women and rape their kids.

>You could buy a case of beer or a bottle of liquor without even getting out of your car.
Wait wait wait wait. The US doesn't have drive-thru Bottle-O's/liquor stores? I would say about half of them here in Aus are drive-through.

>People have never been truly moral their "morality" is just a byproduct of their greed
At least in Louisville anybody can drink like a fish

these counties are in the middle of nowhere too, and they're surrounded by vast wilderness. someone could get drunk and wander on someones property and get shot and never be seen again. there's rampant poverty and lack of education so it makes sense to not encourage alcohol use.
I mean they of course they get around this by making moonshine and drug useage is ramant so it really is pointless.

You seem like a cool guy there fella. Louisville is alright. I miss it sometimes.

Man I watched a really cool short doco on a hillbilly moonshiner. I wish I could remember his name but I think he died a couple years ago. Somewhere in the Appalachian region.

you're thinking of popcorn sutton maybe

Whos the cunt blocking half the road by parking diagonally to the curb.
Fucking cunt. Theres all the space in town and he blocks half the road

Yeah that's the one! Guy was cool as shit. Real oldschool Would love to visit the area and meet the characters like him. I'm sure in reality it would be sketchy as hell and I would probably murdered by meth heads but still.

Just land of the free things

No we do, mississippi just doesnt get out much

We had prohibition in this country, and places like some counties in Kentucky never repealed the laws even today. Yet, kentucky is home to several hundred bourbon distilleries- Only for sale, not for consumption, in their own county

Dry towns/counties cannot sell alcohol. Wet ones can sell it. I think that pic is my hometown, I love the mountains, my family was mostly coal miners/coal truck drivers the for nostalgia

Bloody Harlan county user?

Green energy is a fucking scam

>australian vision

Everybody in Appalachia is white, so they won't be irrationally violent as long as u don't act completely retarded. Come check it out really down to earth people and lots of mischief to get into!

Thank the idiot "Judeo-Christian" Zionist Baptists.

>Come check it out really down to earth people and lots of mischief to get into!
Yessss sounds like my kinda place.

Don't. You'll end up getting sodomized by toothless illiterate hillbillies.

Plus EVERYBODY has guns. I open carry a lot, nobody bats an eye, even cops.

>drinking alcohol
o am i laffin

Man, if you're not willing to take risks you'll end up just sitting in front of the computer your whole life. I like meeting new people. Especially weird fringe-type cunts.

Sounds like a fun place. Does moonshining still go on or is it dying out with the old fellas?

It happens in places where alcohol abuse negatively enough that whole town decides they've had enough and they ban alcohol sales. Very common in aboriginal communities in Canada and Australia for example.

Fine. This is how you're gonna end up though

Me on the right

Kek

Ah yes...the land of the free....

I used to work at coal mine. 400 meters deep.

0,5 million tons of solid shit (per 1 square meter) above your head. Personally for you. This shit is ready to bury you in 1 second. Anytime!

Methane... Concetration is suddenly changing from 1% to 2% (buzzer is turning on, time to evacuate), 3%, 4%, 5%, 6%, 7%, 8%. Even a tiny sparkle can cause a massive explosion. I saw the consequences of that kind of blast - the rails were tied a knot like a laces.

The samurai, after waking up in the morning, tells himself, that he is going to die today. Everyday. And so did i.
And now, read the sentece
>He was struck dumb by the fact he could buy a beer after work.
again.

>wait what the fuck? wasn't prohibition killed like 100 years ago?

There's still thousands of Captain Ahab motherfuckers who think of alcohol as their white whale.

Just replace alcohol with something else, like apples, or flour, or eggs, and imagine these people plotting and scheming to make it impossible for anybody to buy any.

Now just imagine there's vast swaths of the country, mainly in the South, where the majority of people in every town are like that, and they vote for politicians that empower their control freak fantasies.

And they just keep getting older and fatter and meaner and stupider for a hundred fucking years, because being a cunt gives them life.

No, you retard. Dry means that there are no stores that are allowed to sell alcohol. Wet means alcohol sales are allowed if the business gets the proper permits.

Sometimes these are nuanced. For instance, in some areas of Oklahoma and Utah, only light beer or wine coolers under a certain AVG (think 3.2%) are allowed. Some areas veer and wine are allowed, but not liquor. Some places liquor can be sold, but only at certain establishments (no corner stores).

And that doesn't even factor into the times that whatever alcohol can be sold. In Southwest Arkansas, liquor can only be sold Mon-Sat from noon to 9PM. Beer is from noon to midnight. On Sunday, no alcohol sales are permitted at all. Private clubs/bars/restaurants are another thing (they close at 2AM and can sell whatever up 'til then).