I just got laid off from my job...

I just got laid off from my job. I need advice from preppers and poorfags on the cheapest stuff to buy foodwise to keep my body going without getting scurvy while I am inbetween jobs? How can you make a cheap meal in America, is it even possible?

Other urls found in this thread:

thesimpledollar.com/meal-prep-day-simple-rice-and-beans/
preparewith.com/crowder
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Eggs are your friend. Cheap, protein and fat and can be made a million ways.
Sorry about your job...

Beans on toast, shreddies/weetabix, omelettes, peanut butter butties, tinned fish, lots of fruit and vegetables, and literally drink only milk and water. Off you go.

thesimpledollar.com/meal-prep-day-simple-rice-and-beans/

I'm not even poor, and do this often. 70 cents per meal is too good of a deal to pass up for something as stupid as taste (which is a treat).

If you want variety, then: preparewith.com/crowder

102 servings for 99 bucks. I have 6 months of each for me and the wife.

>and literally drink only milk and water.
4 cans of Galahad is only £2.20 from Aldi and it tastes quite nice.

rice and beans with cayenne/onion
buy in bulk, cook, freeze

>shreddies/weetabix,
>peanut butter butties
>tinned fish
>Galahad

what is this shit?

>shreddies/weetabix,
>butties
>tinned fish

what language are you speaking?

>>Galahad
>what is this shit?

bread, eggs, apples, bananas beans, pasta

Raman noodles with veggies and a couple eggs...cheap easy to make and healthy for you

Base:
Rice - $1.00-$1.50 per pound
Beans / Lentils / etc. - $1.00-$3.00 per pound

Condiments:
Tabasco -

shredded wheat cereal
butties=sandwich
tinned fish=canned tuna

it british english

Fishing license: $25
Fishing rod and basic set of lures: $30

From this you can fill a freezer with fish if you live in a place with access to bodies of water.

This is what I did when I was laid off when the 2008 recession hit. I also hunted alot, but if you don't already have firearms and ammo that can be prohibitively expensive. I was able to fill my freezer with several hundred pounds of deer meat, and a combination of catfish, perch, and bass. I would then mix them with rice and whatever vegetables were on sale.

I realize this won't work for everybody, but if you're a rural and suburban retard it's probably your best bet for eating cheap.

>Tabasco -

That's a weird looking fish.

poor food staples: rice, beans, potatoes, cabbage, carrots, oatmeal

secondary staples: eggs, milk, butter/oil, flour, baking powder, sugar

seasonings: cinnamon, salt, pepper, hot sauce

if you have a few extra bucks: oranges, apples, spinach/kale, bananas, lime, salsa, tuna/cheap meat, pasta/noodles

Multivitamins.

I use this buddhist chant when I'm poor or struggling:

Wisely reflecting, I use alms food: not for fun, not for pleasure, not for
fattening, not for beautification, only for the maintenance and
nourishment of this body, for keeping it healthy, for helping with the Holy
Life; thinking thus, ‘I will allay hunger without overeating, so that I may
continue to live blamelessly and at ease.

Ask /fit/ instead.

Eggy weggs

>what is capital cost

buy mcchickens every day

This is why you prepare BEFORE disaster strikes. I bought 2 jugs of those 5 years ago, and I'm still not through my first one (the key is pouring that shit into another container, so you don't overuse it - the gallon has a wide mouth).

Rice and beans.

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Pasta.

Attending AA meetings pretending to be an alcoholic for free food.

Fast food condiment packets. Take many dozens of them and make sandwiches with their contents.

Oats and gomad

>he doesn't have an emergency fund of 3-6 months' expenses

I have no idea why, but that webm was infuriating. What was the point of any of that?

he says $1000, not 3 months worth you fucking loonie

To appease flyovers.

I'm from a flyover state, and I would tell them that I don't want chefs hovering over my table for half an hour to make something that I couldn't even eat.

>what is baby step 3
you're not still in debt user, are you?

i hate people that treat food like it's art. neck it

I'm sorry to hear about your job loss, I hope you will find a new job soon. As said, eggs are a great inexpensive protein option and unlike beans they offer heme iron. Brown rice and dry beans are a good inexpensive choice too. Keep an eye on your supermarket's ads to see what fruits and veggies are on sale every week, and also so you will be aware when whole chickens go on sale for like 99 cents per lb or less. Potatoes are cheap to buy and they offer lots of vitamin C and fiber. If you have Aldi near you, start checking it out because their prices are always super low and they have pretty much everything these days.

holy hell that's pretentious

Rice
Beans
Bread
Peanut Butter
Jelly
Ramen

All you need. Oh and maybe some orange juice, bananas.

if you're not in debt, you drive a beater and rent.

That's good, I like that. I'm currently working to drop some lbs before the holidays and this will be useful to me.

rice, beans and cheese. with a bunch of different cheap sauces / dressings so you don't get bored.

rice + beans = complete protein + carbohydrates

cheese = fat

dressings to mix it up, spicy, sweet, bbq etc

Chickens cost like 50 cents each, if you live outside of a city it may be legal to own a few chickens yourself!

You can slaughter them at around 3-4 months old. one chicken could last you a few days, just buy a few for eggs, and a few you can slaughter.

Honestly, when im poor and need food, I usually just hang outside the DSHS office and offer black females to buy their food stamps for either 25 cents to the dollar or 50 cents.

I used to sell weed and accept food stamps, a gram for $30 worth of my wanting.

The queens English you cretin

Eggs, potatoes, rice, beans, chickpeas, vegetables (buy those that are in season, they're usually cheap as fuck). Survived about three years on that.
Also, I went to a farmer's market and asked at the end of the day if they had some veggies that had been broken or squashed that they couldn't sell. Sometimes I got my vegs for free, or half price.

I actually have severance and unemployment insurance to last me 6 months I didn't think it was worth mentioning because I would rather not lose that free money.

Anyone that works has unemployment insurance. I don't know why you felt the need to mask this.

and severance?

Eat nothing but salt. It's cheap and tastes good.

peanut butter and jelly will do wonders. make sure you have vitamins and get lots of canned goods and dried foods.

>peanut butter and jell
People keep mentioning this isn't that stuff expensive?

A rice cooker and filtered water pitcher will be dear friends. The list I've survived off of for a few months now:
Rice
Canned tuna
Frozen tendies
Onions
Eggs
Cabbage
Carrots
Garlic
Potatoes
Soy sauce
Bags of tea (for when you get sick of water)
Whatever other super cheap vegetables are available and on sale.
As we are coming to winter, make lots of soups and eat with rice, or potatoes.

no. plus once jar of peanut butter and one jar of jelly will last you for a month easy and that was when I was almost eating it for every meal.

Hot tap water with Lipton.
Apple sauce.
Canned soup.

When i had a rough period this is what I ate to try get maximum energy/ vitamins/ produce/ variety without spending too much.
> eggs- real versatile
> home made salad wraps, filled with any combo of lettuce, carrot, tomato, sprouts, sliced ham and ranch dressing
> ramen, yep but you can sexy them up by adding fried sausages, sprouts and an egg on top
> pasta, cook up a whole heap of macaroni, grate some cheese into it. Add broccoli, olives and fried tomato and onion.
> miso soup, add a little ramen and seaweed to bulk it up
> pizza base with pepperoni, olives damn tasty and filling
> whatever fruit or is on sale buy some. Get used to stacking on an apple or banana instead of potato chips.
> oats, not the tastiest but real filling. Add some honey or brown sugar to make them edible.
> but buy some crap too, just to give something to look forward to and feel like you aren't depriving yourself completely. Keep a bottle of pepsi, some pretzels or a bar of chocolate handy so you don't sperg out and waste $7 at your local store buying crap at three times the price of a supermarket.

Good luck op, despite what lefties tell you. Its very possible to eat well on a strict budget.

Thanks I like the salad wrap idea a lot actually.

Oh yeah forgot rice. But looking over the thread everyone's mentioning it anyway. I just fry it up with veges.
> also will cook it with refired beans and put in wraps to make a tortilla. Chop up lettuce, grate cheese on top, some hot sauce and an egg or two. Can't beat it.
> Asian soups are good too. Spicy, flavoursome, just add rice noodles to make them more of a hearty meal.

You can basically live off of yams.
>Vitamins A & C, plenty of protein, and you get some fiber if you eat the skin.

I forgot to add I have 6 months worth of MREs/Dry foods you think I should tap into that?

DRIED RICE
DRIED BEANS
FROZEN SHITTY MEAT
FROZEN SHITTY VEGETABLES OR BIG BAG OF LARGE CARROTS

Under 40 bucks you can eat for a month

Cool. They are way easy, can make them real healthy too. And always taste different. Theyre one of my go too meals. If you find shit like avocado, mung beans or asparagus cheap. They can be added to a wrap with other produce and you've added so much to your body without hassle of trying to make a meal using something like asparagus and possibly fucking it up and hating it anyway.

Dal bhat is definitely the way to go. Its simply just rice, lentils, miscellaneous vegetables mixed together. I used to eat that lot when i was studying and didnt have a lot of money to spend.

This ^
My base meal along with fish and other wild game

Gonads?

Brown Rice and Beans. You can build muscle on this alone.

Lentil Soup. Basically just Lentils and Potatoes. Cheap is fuck and amazing.

This is how most of the world outside of American Goy eat.

A lot of the advice here is sincere, but the beans are highly estrogenic and I would eat them in moderation.

It's much more rewarding to eat rice and potatoes. Eat a lot of eggs. Eat CABBAGE - the cheapest most nutritious.

Try not to waste your money on snacks (chips, crackers, etc) and eat good, full meals.

Drink water.

>Drink water.
This will be the hardest part.

You get scurvy from not eating any fresh foods. The idea of sailors getting scurvy from not eating enough oranges is a myth. The truth is that all their food was preserved and lacked nutrition. They could have introduced any sort of fresh food into their diet and solved the issue.

TL;DR unless everything you eat comes from a plastic package, you won't get scurvy.

dont eat that unless you have to. those things are expensive. There are also food pantries in almost every town and city you just need to find out how they operate and they will give you a box of food once a week.

>food pantries
How does that work? Do you just show up and say I lost my job can you help?

You get scurvy from not eating enough vitamin C. You can eat nothing but the freshest meats and still get scurvy if you don't eat any fruit or vegetables.

I will tell you the NUMBER ONE MISTAKE all poorfags make when trying to shop on a shoestring budget.

The first thing they do is run out and buy Wheat Products in all their insidious forms. What these products do is simply make you more fucking hungry. They spike your insulin and never satisfy your soul. Typical mistakes are.

>bread
>pasta
>Raman
>Tortillas
>cheap cookies
>pancakes
>muffin mixes

Use Corn, Rice and Oats as your main cheap grain sources. Use ample amounts of butter or butter/canola mix. Don't be afraid to spend a little on butter. It satiates your hunger and makes a simple bowl of rice go a long time.

Other tips:
>Carrots (cheap and a big bang of vitamins)
>Bananas (cheap and high potassium which combats depression)
>Frozen mixed veg (about $1 a bag and can be added to rice to help it.
>Eggs (drop an egg in rice that has simmered 20 minutes and cook it in for protein.

I don't do the whole "rice and beans" shit as beans just rip me up. I eat white rice and cook an egg into it. Otherwise I just take a shot of protein powder in the morning as it can compete with meat/egg prices.

The important part is to not get lulled into the cheap meat/milk/wheat trap which will only serve to make you hungry and plugged up. A week of eating that way makes you feel lethargic and shitty.

This is easy, bro. My suggestion is look up WWII nutrition guidelines. They had to stretch out food budgets to breaking points plus have the best nutrition possible. I went on it when money was tight: lost 40 lbs. and gained muscle.

It's mostly whole grains and vegetables. Small portions of meat, fats, and dairy. Waste nothing.

If you really need immediate assistance, contact your local Mormon Church. They own vast farmlands and ranches, produce food for welfare and humanitarian aid, and it's paid for by the membership explicitly for the poor and needy. Check it out.

find out when they are giving the food out show up. each place will operate differently. usually they will just bring the box to your car. there are places that are a little better that let you shop in them like a store too. but when you need food you dont really give a shit what they give you.

I've lived months at a time off of red beans and rice and a multivitamin a day. 2000 calories worth of beans and rice is less than a dollar. Turns out red beans satisfy all of your bodies requirements for amino acids. So after 3 meals of it you have all your macronutrients covered. Take the multivitamin and there's your micronutrients. You can add spices for a small increase in cost per meal. Even a little bit of meat really helps the taste but that's expensive relatively speaking.

t. homeless man

Beans and rice, and whatever is plentiful and/or seasonal around where you live.. Here it'd be carrots, potatoes and green beans. Chicken and eggs for protein, but you don't need it daily if you can't afford it.

>literally starving
>spend money on medieval larp meme beer which is basically negative nutrition
why

beans are ok if you increase your fiber gradually no mare than +10% a week. canned fish can be good as well.

>mfw you try to order one
>mfw they put it in as "hot and spicy"
>mfw the mc'chicken as it was no longer exists

>canned fish can be good as well

Frozen fish is ok too, and frozen white fish tends to be rather inexpensive. With a bit of flour and seasoning you can make it pretty good though..

Rice in bulk, beans in bulk, cabbage when on sale, potatoes/yams anytime.
All of those are practically immortal too.
Protip: go to thrift store and buy a pressure cooker that somebody was too pussy to use. Now you can add the cheapest cuts of beef to your menu. Pressure cooker will turn it tender.

Good suggestions here already. Organic frozen blueberries (big bags are cheap) and 7 organic whole almonds with a glass of water in the morning. Almonds are expensive but I’m replaced meals just with a few whole almonds.

Bin of instant oatmeal also goes a long way. That will keep you suprisingly alert and satisfied past lunch. Super green salad mix with a protein like tuna or sardines in the afternoon. Apple, banana, carrots, avocado, celery for a snack. Something hearty at night like beans and rice and salsa. Try to go organic, you can get cheaper at a farmers market. Don’t get roasted almonds, all the nutrition is cooked out. Fresh organic food keeps you full longer. Get used to eating small portions. it’ll be hard at first.

Good luck with the job search user.

Other poorfag food tips

>If you run into a couple bucks to eat Taco Bell, ask them for several different kinds of sauce. They always just put handfuls into the bag. Use this later to help your rice dish. Two packs of salsa spike it up nicely.

>If you buy some jar of sauce, salsa, etc and eat most of it, store the jar for the next batch of rice. Heat water for the rice and pour a bit into the jar to loosen the food. Then poor that into your rice pan. Repeat. Totally get every last drop of food from the jar. Season the rice with it.

>All loose foods that are about to go bad can be turned into soup and frozen. Say you have some random vegetables laying around along with half a can of beans and perhaps some leftover breakfast meat. Boil up some broth and pour it all in. Freeze what you don't eat. Hot soup also helps a great deal with depression. Always keep broth/bullion on hand. It makes a huge difference in all foods. Drop a bullion cube into rice to make it taste like the restaurant.

>As others have said, take a multivitamin in morning and a b-complex in the evening. Do not be tempted to forgo vitamins. You will already be depressed over loosing work. Keeping your soul strong during a difficult time is very important. You can get Wal-Mart brand vitamins for like $20 a bottle and it lasts 3-4 months (130 tabs).

>You can try to make your own frozen dinners. I used to buy something like chicken tenders; frozen veg and then combine that with mashed potatoes (like a lunch room meal). I would make 10 dinners at a time and store them in Pyrex dishes in the freezer (dishes would be an investment though).

>The biggest expense is protein. Americans eat way too much protein. You need like 20-30 grams a day to get by. Look into protein powders and if you have a little money extra, get frozen blueberries. That shake of blueberries, bananas and a scoop of powder can lift your spirits for the day.

>what language are you speaking?
one of the pakistani, urdu i think

obviously the fish has autism, you fucking bigot
GOD it's 2017 and you RACISTS still won't stop discriminating against autists

Good suggestions here.

Is white rice going to make me hungry like the stuff you listed in your other post? Or is that good to eat to make you feel full? I'm eating 4 rounds of bread a day (toast for breakfast, sandwich for lunch) and only just realized how unhealthy that is. Looking to switch it up one meal so I only eat half as much bread

When I was broke McD' dollar menunaire was the most calories for the least money.

>but the beans are highly estrogenic
fucking REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE WHAT THE FUCK DOESN'T MAKE YOU A SOYBOY THESE DAYS

>lift your spirits

Come spring, grow tomatoes. Seeds are cheap. Dirt is free. Grow a living thing and then eat from it.

satisfied.jpg

>I used to sell weed and accept food stamps

I'm guessing that you would describe yourself as a 'street' level dealer?

The freshest meat is uncooked. Many animals require vitamin c to survive. So much so that they often can synthesize it. I bet if you ate raw meat you could get enough vitamin c to fight off scurvy. That adds other problems though.

The trick here is that vitamin c decomposes when heated. Sailors discovered that for some reason eating fresh fruit keeps you from getting scurvy. Later it was discovered that you could boil stuff and it would last longer because it was sterilized. So some limey had a great idea. Let's boil the lime juice so it lasts on long voyages and go explore the south pole. Hilarity ensued and people died agonizing deaths.

Turns out it is really hard to get scurvy. You have to not eat anything with vitamin c in it for months straight. However if you ever find yourself suffering from scurvy, then find something living that's not poisonous and eat it. There's a real good chance that it has vitamin c. Grass and pine needles come to mind.

That's why it's associated with sailors. You have to do something like build an ocean going vessel, get a bunch of your friends together, and spend months drinking heavily and eating nothing but jerky and biscuits. I guess the modern equivalent is never leaving your basement and eating only ramen noodles and mountain dew.

If you're really desperate for meat:

Build the trap shown and use bait to catch local birds. Songbirds like finches are garbage, but doves, pigeons, and quail taste good. Garden Snails are good for chowders and such. Cook thoroughly.

Also look online for a local edible plants guide (best from your local Agriculture Extension office). Also get a reliable mushroom guide. I have had to forage for local plants before and ate well on $0

>Don’t get roasted almonds, all the nutrition is cooked out
cyanide is very nutritious i hear

What the hell. Filter keeps saying text in Pic Related is Spam? WTF?

>got laid off from my job.
Bullshit.
You got canned because you were a shit employee and a slacker.
This is further evidenced by the fact that you don't have the savings to carry you through to a new job.
That is not the result of bad luck.
It is the result of bad planning and bad behaviour.

Quit asking Sup Forums for advice on how to navigate through your own lack of personal responsibility.
Go get another job now and stop being such a "poor me" victim, faggot.

Carbs tend to mess with the blood sugar. The more complex a carb is the slower it is converted to sugar. Long grain rice and brown rice have larger carbs. I've never noticed the it makes you hungry phenomena with rice or potatoes like I do with sugar. Still for longer lasting energy I combine rice with beans. Beans have more complex carbs combined with protein that can either be used for building stuff or as energy and even some fat. They also have fiber which is basically a carb so complex your body can't digest it. Along with helping your bowel movements it fills you up. In a single bowl of beans and rice you'll find more fiber than most americans eat in a week. I can work all day on a bowl of red beans and rice.

>Is white rice going to make me hungry like the stuff you listed in your other post?

No, that is exactly "The Asian Paradox" and why Asians never seem to become the fat-asses Americans do. Our obesity epidemic is a Wheat Epidemic.

Read the book "Wheat Belly" and study a little about insulin and why low carb diets work. You have to keep your insulin low. Wheat and sugar spike your insulin. An insulin spike makes you more hungry. Rinse, repeat.

White rice with some butter and mixed veg is very satisfying and will stay with you a couple of hours.

>Go get another job now and stop being such a "poor me" victim, faggot.
I'm not doing that though and I literally have enough money through insurance and severance to survive 6 months without touching my savings which could last me 3 years. I could eat like I normally did and find a job eventually. I made this thread because I want to jew the jew and not burn this free money given to me. But by all means, tell me how i'm irresponsible.