What the fuck do I get a degree in?

I'm 20 going to Uni next year, I don't really have a 'calling' and just want a good well paying future job.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actuarial_science
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Electricity

Fappin’

Engineering or a hard science. Everything else is an advocation.

A bachelors degree in 'Electricity' and a minor in fappin. Thanks for the help guys.

My advice would be not to go saddle yourself with that ridiculously high debt if you're only doing it because of societal and family pressure. Go work, live your life, and eventually, your career will come to you. At that point, if undertaking that ridiculous amount of debt is beneficial to your progressing in your chosen field, THEN go to Uni. Otherwise you'll be carrying that debt around with you for decades, potentially unnecessarily.

Surprise, this is my country. Education isn't too expensive here.

something to do with numbers. come in handy crunching all those debts.

So you can wait for your life to start in your retirement years? I'd advise you to pursue pleasures until you realize they are empty humming of the wind, then crucify your mind and pursue theosis through filotea and ascesism, realizing in the progress you'll have gained everything and lost absolutely nothing.

Chose something STEM. If that's not for you, go to a trade school. Fuckin' nothing wrong with the trades.
DO NOT go for a gender studies or history degree. It will qualify you to be a barista.

>So you can wait for your life to start in your retirement years
no, I wan't too support my nation and future family

I have a degree in pussy EATING lol

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actuarial_science

This.

Yes, EE.

Woman's Studies bigot.

Go with God then, and study biology. Ocean biology.

The good ole suicidal job: accounting

If it's 20 and you haven't even applied yet, it's too late for you. All the good universities want smart kids in STEM age 18 with no gap years and 3 As at A level. If you aren't getting a STEM degree from a russell group, you may as well just go do something else rather than saddle yourself with debt you will never pay off and waste 3 years of your life. There are local seminars all the time by HMRC etc. on how to run a business, go do that shit.

Like, you could just buy shit wholesale and sell it on a market stall and in 3 years you will be earning far more than any kids with a degree, or you can do something that you actually enjoy and try to make money from it.

This.

computer science, literally zero niggers there because they're too stupid.

Get into aviation. You can pursue a degree in it. It's a mans job to do man, pays well too.
I'm a pilot and love it.
BUT expect to pay a lot. Also barely anyone hires without a degree in something

If you can go to a good university, study Business/Finance/Economics/Accounting. Plenty of work there, and if your marks are good you can work for big multinationals whether in consulting or on Wall Street, which massively expands your opportunities in life.

A lot of people here will say STEM, but as a guy with a Masters in Chemical Engineering I have to say that the only STEM with real money still in it is Software Engineering or CS. Everything else will guarantee a decent middle-class living, but if you're smart and not wholly autistic you can do better in business.

Wasting several years of potential earnings to get a degree you might or might not use because someone on the internet told you to get that degree is also dumb. Apply for jobs, see which job you like. Go into that field. If that field needs a degree, that's when you get the degree.

>Go with God then, and study biology. Ocean biology.

the ONLY stem degree where there are anywhere near (like even half) as many job positions as there are graduates is CS

Don't go to fucking uni if you don't know what to study, mate.
Come on, don't be a sheep.

my personal game plan was to find an occupation that demanded physical presence to avoid outsourcing, and required enough labor to avoid automation.

i acquired degree/certificates in refrigeration for the blue collar side (in case society collapses)

i am finishing degree/acquiring certificates in computer science (networking) for the white collar side (working in comfort) this semester.

This. I'm studying aerospace engineering but if for some reason I couldn't I would study electrical engineering. The trade jobs make good money these days. Even plumbers

Either finance, engineering, or a non-meme science degree.

I am actually in the same boat as OP but as I've realized no degrees really interest me (I also flunked out of basic college math despite studying every day) so I feel limited. Genuinely concerned for my future, are there any older people here that can give me some solid advice? I'm very strong and smart in reading and writing if that helps. Probably going to be working in sales soon too, which I know I can live off of (for now).

Maybe I'm just bitter because six years of higher education were a bit too much for me, but STEM is almost like a racket that sucks in smart impressionable kids, throws them through the meat grinder of working in high school to get into a good university to do even more hard work in, and then rewards them with stability but not affluence. On the other hand, some of my friends in high school who didn't do any better than me studied business and ended up in Wall Street.

Go to a trade school and learn to be a man.
Or go to prison and learn to be a woman.

The only thing I have some calling for is war and counter terrorism

accounting

STEM field or computer science. Its tough to get a job in any field but atleast you have a better chance with these degrees to get some kind of wage. If you do not want to do these then your next option is maybe Business, Accounting, something to do with crunching numbers - every office needs atleast one of these professionals. You need something marketable.

I work in H.R for an electronics company. Ask me anything. I will help.

Don't go to university if you don't have a calling, put off a year perhaps and figure it out. A degree does not garuantee a high paying job, and if you are one of the lucky ones, do you really want to be locked into a career you don't have any deep yearning for? It'd be depressing,

Get some bullshit degree and get high and fuck whores for 4 years. Then get some municipal government job. Stay like 2+ years and they start throwing money at you and if you have a degree you can transfer to whatever department you want wherever in the country you want at a whim.

Every answer but "math" is wrong

If you don't have the head for engineering or finance is reccomend just learning something useful that guarantees you a job. I myself swallowed the "follow your dreams" meme and did NOT study finance, i am the only one in my group of friends that still lives in our town and i am the only one without a job in finance, only their friendship keeps me alive, if they just left me behind then i think i would kill myself idk since being unemployed really eats away at me.

>Business/Finance/Economics/Accounting
Yeah, a lot of people are saying STEM, but this is another good area. Don't think I've ever known an accountant that was out of work for long. I was at a place where one of our accountants finished his CPA. Place didn't have a position to move him up to. He was gone 6 weeks later with a big pay raise.

What about a major in business, minor in CS then? Or the opposite.

>just want a good well paying future job.
Computer Science

There's a wide range of jobs available, ranging from boring to fascinating, and most of them pay very good.

business and finance r harder for neets

Dude, if you have no clear calling then take a fucking year and figure yourself out.

Don't listen to these fucking communist scum that will try to tell you that you should be working for the state as soon as posible. The individuals are more important than the fucking state, which is there so serve US, not the other way around.

When I was in your position, I chose school followed by more school. I do ok, but I can't help but think that I could have just learned coding and worked in a tech job and been just as well off. University is not how it was made out in the movies, even when I went in the mid-2000's. I don't think its even close to the experience the last generation had. You expect freedom, but what you get is isolation a lot of times. It is certainly not something I would pay money to do, when there are plenty of adults having fun, traveling, ect.

But, if you have to go to a university for whatever reason, and you cant choose a degree, just look at the fastest growing educated job in the area you are interested in and choose that. Callings are bullshit. People are suggesting STEM and tech, this is probably the gold standard of advice. I would aim for something that doesn't require post-grad school. Avoid debt. When I was 20, I thought debt is just a number that will be a minor inconvenience but no worries as my income will outpace it. Well, now that I have to really balance the book, along with my financial portfolio, the student loans are like a cancer that I can't get rid of, even though with the repayment plan my monthly payment is low.

I don't know anything about you other than your fascist flag, but I feel compelled to give you this direction on the hopes that we have one less frustrated loser in this world.

Why don't you get in labor then? I do that during the summers, pretty fulfilling to fix up a wall or paint the outside of a house.

"Business" means a bunch of different things. Some are more math-involved than others, and therefore usually pay more (finance, economics, and so on) if you can get onto Wall Street or things like that. In that case a CS minor is useful if you want to do things like create algorithms for quantitative trading. But for ordinary business analyst stuff you don't need that CS minor.

There are some digital companies that need business majors, and I can see a CS minor being useful there.

I've never seen a CS company look for a guy who also has a business minor.

If you're smart you can do a business major and a cs minor, but if it looks to be too much work don't bother.

Lmao

Pharma.

Dont go to college with an interest. Dont go until you have a 100% absolute passion you want to pursue. You are going to piss your money away. Look unto becoming a doctor

>pay 200k for no clearly defined reason
Why is this still a thing?

Yeah, I mean I'm definitely getting a b.sc in business and not a b.a If I go that route.

Don't do anything related to pharma, unless you want to excel. Same with accounting. Automation is going to completely obliterate those job markets in the next ten years.

Don't do bio or anything relating to needing a PhD to get a job. Biochem and chemical engineering is still okay, but you need to know the right people. Thanks to globalism you're now competing with every other person with a degree in the field.

Medical Engineering if you have a good head, Systems Security if you've got average grades and can work hard, Electric Engineering if you're not at the top of the class but still better than the average.

Fuck med school. Being a doctor just means being perpetually overworked and being paid accordingly. You're not going to be in a comfy spot before you reach your late fourties. Your margin of error is also insanely small if school is expensive.

Read up on what degrees are catered to and needed in your country.