I believe the last time the United States had a TV plant was in 1995 when Zenith was bought by LG

I believe the last time the United States had a TV plant was in 1995 when Zenith was bought by LG

Why people hate Trump again? this guy is bringing industries back to the United States instead of relying in Chinese factories for everything

>The companies intend to invest more than $10 billion in the U.S. production sites. As early as this month, they are expected to reach an agreement with the state of Wisconsin to set up an LCD panel plant there that will begin producing large, state-of-the-art 10.5-generation displays as early as 2020. The companies are also considering building a plant elsewhere in the U.S. Midwest for smaller displays for cars and airplanes.
asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/The-Trump-effect/Sharp-Foxconn-go-all-in-on-TV-production-in-US

>Why people hate Trump again?
jews

the factory will probably have 10 or so human employees

remind me to buy a Sharp when they have "made in the USA" stickers on them

Is this because of Trump, or because Americans are willing to work for pennies and Asian economies are set to outgrow the west within 15 years?

to build a display factory it usually cost between 300 to 700 million dollars(depends if it's oled, lcd, etc)
They are investing 10 billion dollars!

sadly, I doubt Made in USA will ever be on the TV. Too many integrated circuits are made outside of the US for it to qualify. This will be for assembly.

Leftist/communist agenda.
Scream about jobs that don't exist until the government is forced to cut more checks.

China, Japan and India will outgrow the west?
Maybe China can do it by 2060 not anytime sooner, besides India will never be a huge industrial country

Foxconn is here to make lcd panels...

Combine China, Malaysia, Indonesia and other growing Asian markets and they'll vastly outweigh Europe and America combined very soon. Indonesia alone has a population about equal to America and it's experiencing exponential growth. They're all catching up to the West, and even if they're behind, their combined value will massively exceed it.

TVs need to be made in very low wage countries because the price is too low... unless companies accept 6~10% profit
Apple could afford to make their panels (or assemble) in United States because their profit per iphone/computer is much higher than 10%

Yes, and LCD panels come with electronics to control them. Electronics = ICs made in Asia therefore no Made in USA for the panel.

I don't think affordability is even the hangup nowadays. All the ICs are made in Asia and the people with skills to manufacture are in much greater numbers in Asia. That is the magnet keeping electronics manufacturing/assembly outside the US.

It will take many decades for India, Indonesia, Brazil, Malasya, etc to get close to today's China power
They can outgrow western europe but not north america (Mexico, USA and Canada)

in the automated times we live in, 10 or so is quite good

those are just cheap power & logic boards you screw into place and connect to the panel.

Like a woman.

The combined GDPs of the top 5 non-Chinese Asian economies are about $10 trillion to the EU's $16 trillion. Countries like Thailand and Indonesia double their value every few years. Between 2005 and 2011, both Thailand and Indonesia more than doubled their GDP. Manufacturing is moving out of China and into these poor countries, which will lead to massive growth like China experienced, while China is moving to skilled labor and will absorb even more jobs from the west.

"Then we have South Korea, who I love," he said. "I have buildings in South Korea. But they make a fortune. I buy television sets. I buy a tremendous amount of things there because we don’t make television sets anymore, folks. We’d like to make them. We used to make them. You remember Sylvania, RCA. But those days are gone."

your theory only makes sense if China invest in factories in those 5 countries which I believe they won't do it
To transfer the plants from china to these countries would be a decision for western and japanese businessmen
>while China is moving to skilled labor
Which jobs are we talking about? The new Middle class under creation as we speak in China won't be much different from what they are today

In my experience a middle class country won't accept a strong communist rule and will start to ask for reforms and more democracy, something which the communist party of China is well aware since they were advised by the best minds of western society back in the 50s and 60s.

They could still say 'assembled in the USA' right?

I've been to the stores lately. Many things labelled "Made in the USA with foreign and domestic components."
I wouldn't be surprised if they have that tag on them. Its better than nothing and its a start in the right direction. I'll pay the extra 50 bucks for domestic products.

that's what I've been saying since 2007 and I'm not even a businessman
I visited united states 17 years ago and lived there for 6 years and I always told that americans would pay more for cars, clothing and electronics made in USA if they knew they were employing other americans. In the long run the companies will compete with the chinese price if they invest properly