Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1718

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

previous bangin thread

Other urls found in this thread:

matome.naver.jp/odai/2140969934999418301
mediafire.com/folder/4xab5dgnk7tra/ご注文はうさぎですか?
a.uguu.se/FHtA4L7bzvdW_ばらかもんOPでよつばと!_medium.webm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Reminder that manga isn't reading and you're deluding yourself if you think so.

Why was this guy's route so half-assed compared to all the girl routes? If they're not going to put any effort into it whatsoever it might as well not even have been there, seriously.

bump

can you put "this site blows" -jamal 2k16 on there for me thanks in advance

When did you come to the realization that you can't learn Japanese?

Today I did Anki for 35 minutes and then I read a visual novel for 3 hours and 34 minutes.

俺の車を使うは店で行く
店でいくは俺の車を使う

Are these sentences virtually the same? Go to the store using my car?

俺の車で店に行く

enlighten me how that has improved you.

俺の車を使って店に行く
店に行くのに俺の車を使う

so 使う isnt really needed? i don't think it'd be clear without physical context

>anxiety making it hard to focus on Anki
>skipping a day of Anki would make it worse

Fuck.

Different guy but I say it isn't needed.
's example is pretty cool though and is more to what you want

Oh fuck I meant

Not really, because the で particle already carries the meaning "by means of".

Nice bait.

Reminder that texthooking isn't reading and you're deluding yourself if you think so.

It's not really useful to analyze individual opinions on individual softwares.

A testimonial would be more useful if it had the following:
>Previously spoken languages.
>Self-evaluation of Japanese skills
>Previous knowledge in Japanese before DJT.
>How much time since beginning of study.
>How much time is allocated daily to Japanese, in which practices.
>Feedback on each tool experimented with

Example:
>Previously spoken languages.
Spanish
- Native.
English
- Fluent Reading and Writing;
- Intermediate Listening and Speaking;
French
- Intermediate at everything;

>Self-evaluation of Japanese skills
It's shit. I can't read Yotsubato, but I know 90.000 vocabulary words.

>Previous knowledge in Japanese before DJT.
Typical weeb shit like sugoi itadakimasu and running with my arms stretched backwards like a ninja.

>How much time since beginning of study.
3 years.

>How much time is allocated daily to Japanese, in which practices.
5 hours in total.
4 hours of Anki, 30 minutes of WaniKani, 30 minutes of VNs.

>Feedback on each tool experimented with
Anki is blablablabla, been using it since the beginning, blablabla;
WaniKani is blablablabla;
Started reading VNs two weeks ago, they are shit, blablabla;
I also attempted to use RtK for 3 months, but it was too autistic for my taste and I stopped after chapter X.

Is DoBJG enough for N3 grammar?

バンップ

>tfw constantly forget connecting words and it makes reading yostubato eve nwith the reading pack nigh impossible

You can learn Japanese. You just have to stop being a little bitch.

I’m still doing it. Just expressing frustration. It’s very hard to know when a word begins or ends with no spaces.

>mfw I tried reading 1Q84 again after giving up a couple of years ago
>going from Rikaichan-ing every three words with no understanding of grammar and spending 2 minutes on a line to a pretty fun read, with some dictionary lookups here and there
なるべく諦めない!

>Murakami
You have already given up on taste. Good job!

I find it funny how he is revered in the west as one of the best Japanese novelists, but looking at the original text he writes worse than light novels.

What is this from?

If you want to read Murakami, why pick one of his worst (and longest) books?

Hey homodachis. Intermediate-ish here (~2700 kanji, a few VNs read). Yesterday I finally finished reading through the DOAJG. It's not like I've memorized every use case of each grammar point but I generally know how everything in the book works now. Basically my question is, what next? I know very well that consuming native material does wonders, it's why I'm at a decent level today. But I'm wondering what some more advanced dudes have done besides just that, if anything.

よく食べて、よく寝る!

Write. Lang-8/hellotlak then move on to IMs when you can think up sentences on the fly. After that you speak.

Depends on your goals. What do you want to accomplish now?

>After a combination of Jisho, JLMW, Tae Kim, Anki, asking DJT, and determination, I'm at page 28 of Yotsubato
>I think I have an idea of what is going on currently

I feel a sense of accomplishment.

いつまでも頑張ろうね

How long did it take you?

I've read ねじまき鳥 in my native tongue when I was a teenager.
1Q84 was just sitting on my reader for so long, I was curious to see how much I progress.
That would be good if I could find 海辺のカフカ or even buy it

挨拶はきちんと!

Just reading Yotsubato was like an hour or so to make it to where I am.

I've been studying for about a month, give or take a week?

Yes! Let's do our best, user!

Is your speed of learning dependent on how hungry you are for the language? If I feel slow, does this mean I'm not hungry enough for Japanese?

What am I lacking?

Truly dekinai. DE KI NAI

Kafka is good. So are Sheeps Chase and Dance Dance Dance. I really like Norwegian Wood but it doesn't have his trademark surreal stuff.

>What am I lacking?
鶏がらスープ

It's dependant on a couple things.

1) How smart you are
Sadly, all men aren't born equal. Everyone can learn japanese though! Don't give up! It might just take longer
2) How dedicated you are
You can be smart as fuck, but if you're only studying an hour a day, you're never gonna make it
3) How much your brain thinks it needs japanese
Consistency, if you brain is constatnly exposed to japanese even when you're not actively studying, it picks up on stuff, and figures you need jap.

悩んだら相談!

S2 HYPE

>tfw studying 3 months and still can't into よつばと!

TELL ME YOUR SECRETS

The English translation of Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is abridged and reordered, though, and many other Western translations are based on that, so it might be worth a re-read if you enjoyed it the first time around.

This is a good idea. I've been putting it off for a while (and likely will still put it off a few more months at least) in order to read some more and internalize the grammar better. But I definitely will try some of those language exchange/IM sites out in the fairly near future.

Well, my ultimate goal is native/near-native fluency, to take it all the way. Due to carelessness I missed the N1 signup for this December so I'd like to take it next year and pass it pretty easily. In the more short-term I don't have any goals in particular, so I was just getting a feel for some resources other people have used to see if any of them were useful.

Just start reading. Its hard but you gotta read to read.

If your goal is native level fluency, you need natives to talk to.

If you care about N1, I'd pull out some study guides/kanji lists and study those as well.

You wanna find reading material hard enough that you find it challenging, but not impossible. That's point where you learn things.

what is the best anki to start with.

ドナルドトランプというのは、誰のことでしょうか。

Are eReaders good enough for manga? If so what models?

What do you mean by "good enough"?

>studying for 10 months
>still fail basic grammar
>i thought 愛徒's dream was to confess to a girl, not have one confess to him(まんが家さんと)

禁煙区域のでご消えて下さい。

>待ちぶせしてたなんて
>待ちぶせ
What is the ぶせ here? I heard it plenty of times in anime before but never really picked up its meaning. Could someone tell me please?

Decent battery life when compared to normal ebooks, good resolution, comfortable zooming controls if you need them.

誰だこのspunk punks?

「待ち伏せ」

「伏せ」は古語では「隠れる」の意味だった

Was gone at school but I'm glad I checked and found evidence that 180/180 N1 korean obsession kun doesn't actually know Japanese

いい収穫だった

あ、ありがとうございます。

>180/180 N1 korean obsession kun
literally and figuratively who?

the only guy in the thread who uses the word hwabyung

How do you get srt files to work in a video player? For me, the srt files generally never work.

No.

Name them the same as the video file and put them on the same folder.

If I can read shounen manga (having to look up the occasional word), which JLPT level would I be able to pass?

Looks like cross channel.
Haven't read it though.

Who knows, that standard is arbitrary as fuck
Probably at least N3 though, and the ability to pass N2 with some extra study

Where should i go if i want to practice my conversation/writting skills?

>writing
Lang 8
>speaking
Make friends. Also, find people speaking hyoujungo online and carefully copy their intonation. And find a close japanese friend where you can talk about the more specific details of pronunciation and tongue placement which you have probably all learned wrong.

Japan.

Doesn't seem to work. I'm testing it with not the same series but it shouldn't matter as long as the file names are the same and its in the same folder right?

More like maximum N3.

What player are you using? With VLC you can drop it into the player and it works, maybe have to select it from the subtitle menu. With MPC-HC, when I do that the video stops, that's when putting it in the folder and renaming it works.
Though sometimes I have to mess with the VSFilter options, since srt subs don't seem to appear in the regular subtitle menu (this is if you set up the entire Kawaii Codec Pack thing and it's not just stock MPC-HC).

TL;DR check subtitle menus and/or drop subs into window

If you're in college, there are probably some Japanese exchange students in your campus.

"I can read shounen manga (looking up the occasional word)" is a statement true for many natives. That's why it's an arbitrary standard

hard to tell, most shounen manga is easy. what's the hardest thing you've read?

If you can actually understand the grammar and not just guess the meaning from the pictures and kanji/nouns/verbs/adjectives, probably what said.

まったく小学生は最高だぜ

Does having Japanese podcasts/radio on in the background (not really paying attention to it, rather just passive listening) help with listening in the long term?

Will my Japanese friends like me if I tell them this?

>Lang 8
I'll think about it

>Make friends
>japan
>Japanese exchange students
Not possible

もちろん

HelloTalk is a free app and you can text, call, etc. Use a picture of a cute boy, girl or cats and you'll get a ton of partners.
They also have a timeline you can post to, and people will correct your sentences.
If you're on iOS and have a FB account, you can use Tandem, but it's not as active.
There's also Interpals, which is sorta shitty and most people will just ask for your Line account

What is the actual correct way to write や? Is there a consensus?

アスタラビスタベイベー

matome.naver.jp/odai/2140969934999418301

It doesn't really matter for kana, though, I think. I've seen Japanese people write や the "wrong" way, ふ with 3 strokes, を with 2 strokes, etc.

っ -> ´ -> \

>tfw I met some Japanese exchange students playing Smash 64
>I was able to tell them my name in Japanese (私の名前はxxxです)
>tfw they said it was perfect
It has fueled my fire to do my best.

>「か」の筆順は?
My か always ends up looking retarded when I do it the 'correct' way.

that's because you're trying to draw it like a computer font

Fucking finally did it, user, using the latest version of the Obok Calibre plugin and changing the directory of the Kobo kepub (for some reason had to place it on the desktop or else it would result in errors).
Pic related; the Rakuten version is so much better.
mediafire.com/folder/4xab5dgnk7tra/ご注文はうさぎですか?
I'll likely be buying the remaining volumes and doing the same thing, using the above linked folder. Feels good, man.
a.uguu.se/FHtA4L7bzvdW_ばらかもんOPでよつばと!_medium.webm

>app
>iOS
>FB account

Much love, user. I've been wanting to read Gochiusa but I was put off by the awful scan quality.

I just wanted to help user. I'm sorry.

ill never understand people that give apple money

Android tablets are honestly much better for manga compared to e-book readers. You can get a decently sized Android tablet a lot cheaper, which will have a colour screen, larger screen resolution, easier controls for pinch/stretch page zooming, etc.
As a plus, you can use CB's ORC Manga Reader on Android devices, which works as both a manga reader and an ORC, kind of like Kanji Tomo, which you can use to send words directly to Ankidroid, Aedict, email, etc. Plus, it's free and open source.
If you have the money, I've been able to use one of those larger tablets with their retina like display resolutions and it's fucking amazing to read off. Too expensive for me but if you've got the budget it's damn nice to lay in bed and read from. Higher quality scans really benefit from those larger screens and display resolutions.

You did right, I'm just not a normie so none of that helps me.
still thank you