Fantasy

Anyone else tired of the fantasy setting? Specifically the DnD type of fantasy with specific character classes.

I know a lot of people are tired of the isekai premise, but I'm just sick of fantasy regardless of whether or not it's isekai.

The male autistic mc is only my complain.

When will anime space operas become popular again?

Fantasy is not strictly middle ages it can be modern or futuristic to. But yes middle age fantasy is overused as fuck and I have come to hate it.

meh it's better than high school settings

If you know D&D fantasy anime or fantasy setting please point them to me.

Because honestly all I remember from anime aside of Lodoss is Dragon Quest bastardizations.

We have been watching rpg parodies since the early 90s, we have even seen the parodies about the parodies but we have barely seen the real deal.

Tired of D&D fantasy anime setting? HOW, every anime is your "classic fantasy story...with a twist!" but we didn't see much the "classic fantasy story" in first place.

How can you be tired of something that we barely had?

>Tons of fantasy anime produced
>Still no good ones to speak of
Why must my favourite setting suffer so?

is that yuusha ga shinda?

I'm just sick of anime that uses fantasy as a template, and does the exact things you'd expect from a fantasy anime, but nothing more.

Take elves. Elves in fantasy are just copied from Tolkien. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but instead of copying the idea of a race that is similar to humans, but have societies that work completely different from us and their own history, they just copy the pointed ears and the fact that their females are supercute and pure.

It's not even specific to fantasy or anime, but with that combination in particular I notice that we have so many assumptions about how the setting should work, and most creators are perfectly happy just following those assumptions blindly.

yes

This annoys me as well. Lot of times you see the elves just being like any other citizen in a city but with pointed ears.

But to be fair, that is an issue that not only anime has, it happens in pretty much every media.

>pink hair
Who is this semen demon?

Name me five anime from the past few years that have these DnD-style fantasy staples:
>A multitude of well fleshed out races
>An interesting world with good world building
>A diverse party of MCs
>Interresting and well develelopped lore/backstory
Hard mode: Make it a good anime
Extra hard mode: Make it a non-isekai anime

Satan , pls. There is no good anime of any genre, only decent ones.

Why don't return to the great aviation fantasy which once color anime so?

Nah fuck off

Why would you hate Laius? he's fun.

Then don't seek that material out anymore? Like, what do you want me to tell you here?

Yes, because every fantasy author should be as autistic as Tolkien.

>worldbuilding
Who gives a shit, just get on with the story.

Go watch a different genre

>you can only enjoy MY genre MY way or YOU can go watch something else
Wew lad, you're definitely not a autistic manbaby, no siree.

Anyone else tired of user bitching what they don't like in Sup Forums? Specifically the "I'm just sick for no reason" kind of bitching.

I know a lot of people are tired of an user complaining, but I'm just sick of user bitching something that is not important.

No really, fuck off though

Agreed, don't know why is this thread even exist.

>OP talks about certain genre
>Mention things specific to that genre
>"Look at this idiot, trying to tell me how to watch that genre!"
Pure genius, glad your stand up career is working out for you user. You might be on the wrong board for that though, might I suggest you go to ?

OP's just a faggot, more news at 11.

>Wanting media to pander to autistic fucks who buy nothing and refuse to support any writers, artists or devs who currently pander remotely to them.

Nobody that stupid considering your purchase history.
Enjoy your incoming romance battle harem animes because I love that shit and actually spend money on it.
Fujos and fags get their yaoi animes by flooding those who pander to them with money so why don't you try that first?

Best post this thread.

Holy fuck yes

There's so much ficking anime out there just watch some other shit

And don't tell me you faggots don't have a backlog, there's ~50 years of this shit out there

Because he thinks content creators live off of air and don't need to pay their bills.

Anyone else tired of the modern setting? Specifically the Real life type of modern with specific character personalities.

I know a lot of people are tired of slice of life premise, but I'm just sick of modern regardless of wheter or not it's slice of life.

Exactly.

Fucker clearly just being a contrarian, and even then shit aren't that popular aside from isekai.

Really need dobson edit for this.

This. thread/

I don't need to be pandered to, I just want to see more creativity. And chasing profit is antithetical to creativity, since it unconsciously drives risk averse behavior.

Profit>creativity because people that make your stuff have to eat, pay the bills and send their kids to college so they don't end up in the same shit they are too.

Well if you want to see more creativity, then why don't you look for any other that isn't a fantasy?

Like, you literally blame fantasy for your own laziness.

Sure, I understand that if you need to pay the bills, it's better to shit out something safe that you know will pay. That doesn't mean I have to tolerate it.
But fantasy is the best kind of setting for creativity, since it allows the creator essentially complete freedom to create something truly unique on every level.

Except most don't have the luxury of hashing out a complete setting and then selling it because they're competing with a million other dudes for a public that gives zero fucks about how deep their setting is.

>tolerate it
Then just stop watching shit you dont like.And people have different tastes.Who are YOU to say that things must be done only your way?

>aviation fantasy
Mah nigga

I loved Allison and Lillia, and Last Exile.
Those were the shit.

I'm tired of it too because niggers keep writing bad shit on it.

>Elves in fantasy are just copied from Tolkien. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but instead of copying the idea of a race that is similar to humans, but have societies that work completely different from us and their own history, they just copy the pointed ears and the fact that their females are supercute and pure.

And they don't even copy them right.

No, not really.

The trick is only watching shows that actually interest you and completely ignoring the existence of everything that doesn't.

Then I wouldn't be coming to Sup Forums at all.

That's probably for the best

Good idea.

Bye.

Yeah sure, there's a market for mindless shit, and it's not a crime to appeal to a market. But I'm still free to complain about it and maybe convince some people that they could be getting something better.
It's not like I'm actively sitting down to watch shit I don't like, but it sometimes happens as a result of trying to find shit I like.

Good idea, i suggest you use tumblr instead and leave us alone in our f/a/gottry.
Make sure to never come back.

Writers can easily imagine ways that people would look different, but have trouble imagining genuinely different cultures from their own. Elves have always been a cookie cutter Tolkien clone thing, in every country.

I actually like what The Elder Scrolls does here though: They have a different creation myth from the "mortal" races (descended from the gods instead of being created as part of the mortal realm) so whereas humans and such see Lorkhan as a creator god, elves see him as the devil, a trickster who stole their divinity. It sounds like a small thing but it's the reason the games keep having "psycho elves are conspiring to literally destroy the world" as a major plot thread.

I wonder if Kumo Desu Ga was influenced by this...

Tumblr doesn't like my kind of animu either.

>Anyone else tired of the fantasy setting?
Not really. I'm the target demographic for fantasy-shit and isekai. I love that crap.

The problem is few authors these days know how to make an MC who's the fun kind of crazy autistic like main characters used to be and not the faggoty wimpy teenage kind of autistic that now dominate the industry.

>but have trouble imagining genuinely different cultures from their own

It's so easy. Just look at real life at devout conservative cultures and compare it to liberal Japan.

>But I'm still free to complain about it and maybe convince some people that they could be getting something better.
You actually aren't free.

Non-Japanese anime fans are a captive market with no significant influence on the industry.

Americans have trouble imagining cultures that aren't just like America. Japanese people have trouble imagining cultures that aren't just like Japan. Most writers don't get out much and even if they travel they don't observe other cultures in great detail.

Think about this the next time you see a mention of "my pride as a man" in an isekai story.

>he doesn't know about the Chinaman

>living in a conservative culture irl
>meanwhile the internet is liberal as fuck

That's why it's easy for me.

Do you even fucking watch sport anime?

Those kinds of characters are more common than ever.

>I like how Elder Scrolls does this:

>[even more Tolkien shit]

Watch Yuri on Ice then.

No, you're alone in this. I'm a big fan of fantasy and don't particularly mind isekai as long as it's done right. Fantasy presupposes a world entirely unlike our own. When you create such a world, you explore it and show it off. If you're not presenting us with an original and well-expanded world (preferably with a detailed world map), then why are you even making anime in the first place? If you're not interested in worldbuilding or creating lore, you might as well just make Highschool anime #34575221b

>make humans your typical conservative Christians
>make elves liberal hippies

Easy.

Tolkien pulled Elves, Dwarves and Goblins/Orcs as is from Germanic folklore. He did a bit of synthesis but didn't invent much when it comes to the archetypes.

First rule of worldbuilding for the purpose of anything that isn't worldbuilding for the sake of worldbuilding: Do not draw a map. If you really really want to never draw a map that is any bigger than the immediate environs that the story is taking place in.

Maps can fucking obliterate verisimilitude through their mere existence.

The English-speaking internet is very American. The liberals you meet online (like on Tumblr) and the conservatives you meet online (like most of Sup Forums) think very much alike: They see the world as a giant power struggle between the group that is "blessed" (minorities for liberals, straight white men for conservatives) and the enemies who are outside that group. Their methods are quite similar and they all have difficulty thinking of a solution for their "problem" beyond "eradicate the enemy." They both have a concept of "evil" choices that make you unclean, so that you become an enemy forever.

Take a closer look and compare this with a culture that's actually forgiving.

>what is Chaika

>Chaika manga's translation just ends for no reason

Fuuuuck

>First rule of worldbuilding for the purpose of anything that isn't worldbuilding for the sake of worldbuilding
True, but fantasy anime has a tendency to do too little worldbuilding rather than too much. The worst example is the self-proclaimed "dark fantasy" manga/anime Akame ga Kill. 90% of the plot takes place in one city, yet we never know it as anything other than "The Capital". We have a vague idea of what the surrounding lands are like but nothing concrete. I could tell you close to nothing about the nation "The Capital" is in. We are told the government is corrupt, but we see very little of it outside some Prime Minister shenanigans and a few throwaway villains.

>Maps can fucking obliterate verisimilitude through their mere existence.
You think so? Manga usually has some non-story related stuff before and after the meat of the story, like the foreword of the author or fan mail or whatever. Would it really shatter your immersion if there was a map of the world on the inside of the cover? Loads of fantasy novels do this, so you get somewhat of an idea what happens where, and what the distance between certain areas is.

I'm less tired of the setting and more that it's just now a backdrop for harem horseshit.

A recent example of a fantasy anime I liked was Grimgar. The way it handled those goblins is exactly the kind of thing I love to see. It wasn't anything really fancy, they were just tribal creatures, on a level of intelligence somewhere between humans and monkeys, squatting in human ruins, trying to make a living and violently repelling anyone encroaching on their territory. Really simple creatures, they didn't have their own language, religion, or form of government, but they represented something significantly different from humans in a believable way.

Berserk, kinda

> fantasy setting
>DnD
nah im just tired of Demon lord/hero JRPG thing

He did change elves height though.
They are supposed to be midgets, very few writers still portray them as so.

Can you explain why? I definitely think it's not very important for the audience to have a bird's eye view of the geography, but I think that having some kind of physical reference can help the author a lot with enforcing consistency.

Maybe verisimilitude was the wrong word here.

Maps create a visual representation of the world that readily removes gaps and silences. Unless you're working in a medium where navigation of a preconceived geographical region is a requirement (open world video games for example) this can be very bad.

If I use Lord of the Rings as an example, if I was Gandalf I never would have had to face the conundrum of crossing the mountains, going through Mordor or swinging around near Isengard. I would have just followed the river south from Rivendel, chartered a ship from that port I forgot the name of and sailed to Dol Amroth. Therefore bypassing like 70% of the story.

Trip would have been a lot faster and less dangerous. Even with corsairs about the risk of interception by sea is significantly less than that on land. With a detailed map so readily available taking a less than optimal route seems kind of dumb.

He said past few years. I really hope you made a mistake and don't mean the [CLANG]ing atrocity we had this year.

Even the plot felt worse, going from dark to straight up edgy.

I LOATHE when anime uses spells and classes. Why the fuck does anyone think it's a good idea to have characters limited to preset abiliites and have them yell out the attack name?

It's stupid autistic shit, you have to be a real autist to not understand that that kinda stuff was made as an abstraction of reality to not overcomplicate things. There is no fucking point to have it in an anime that is a linear predetermined story.

We were talking about fantasy anime.

>Why the fuck does anyone think it's a good idea to have characters limited to preset abiliites and have them yell out the attack name?
>It's stupid autistic shit, you have to be a real autist to not understand that that kinda stuff was made as an abstraction of reality to not overcomplicate things.

>yfw this is a major plot point in Kumo

Classes are just fucking occupations m8

And spells have been a concept since before the start of fucking history

I want a Kumo anime but I don't want the manag or the LN design

She shpuld look like a horrifying fucking spider monster

> Just occupations
Choosing one "occupation" literally hardlocks you out of anything that another "occupation" can do for no reason other than you picked the wrong job. It's bullshit fantasy trope #271785

So LN design but the real one you see in her status page?

But that's not true unless you're watching shitty TRAPPED IN A GAMU anime

Lodoss has classes but no one's hard locked put of shit, they just don't know how to do shit

Louie's a mage but mostly casts fist

>not multiclassing

If that's a thing than yes

I've only read the WN, I haven't seen this status page

Well, most play the trope along the line of "no class is weak, it just comes down to how you play it", or even add some asspulls to make the MC pick skills. I like how it's done in the Legendary Moonlight Sculptor, even though it's pretty straightforward.

There's so much anime that uses the setting and so few that do it well that I haven't stopped being thirsty for it. If that makes any sense.

And there's a LOT of fantasy on my list, but very few that are Dwarves, Elf, Orc fantasy. A lot of stuff is technologically in the realm of Akame ga Kill or Fairy Tail or non-medieval like Magi.

Nice quints

>Normal Mode
Rokka no Yuusha

Sword Art Online

Overlord

>Hard Mode
Mushoku Tensei if you're willing to get rid of that pesky "anime" modifier and stick to manga

Re: Zero

Log Horizon

>Extra Hard Mode
Slayers depending on what "past few years" means to you. The most recent season was under a decade ago.

7 Deadly Sins

It's actually the multiple races thing that I'm having the most trouble with. There's lots of good fantasy shows like Magi or Maria the Virgin Witch that's all humans.

I'd say OPs complaints are more in line with JRPGs then anime.

Horizon

Fucking sunrise should give us a s3 already

You can find the novels for free(vol 1 to 3) easily. Just download and check Kumoko s status illustrations. It shows how she really looks like.

Nah I mean the rigid MMO-style shit. "I cast Fireball IV which I gained by reaching level 5 for 400 damage and it now has 50s cooldown" has not been around for long. Same shit with classes, I'm not talking about someone specializing in spear combat, I'm talking about someone taking a rogue class and therefore being unable to wield a sword at all.

Yes they started with P&P rather than videogames, mainly D&D, but D&D is shit and you should be playing Runequest or something else instead.

>shitty TRAPPED IN A GAMU anime

That's what I meant, every single one of those was wasted potential because they could have been made 100x better by not following that stupid shit.

Excluding Slayers all shit.
Good taste.Especially liked fight scenes and world building.

Oh and Danmachi. I guess it goes under Hard Mode? I'm only anime caught up but I've heard people refer to it as isekai so idk. The world seems unique and I don't think the characters came from another life but then again im not caught up with source and im not 100% on the term isekai

Well damn dude maybe your standards are too high.

Normal mode was supposed to be stuff that's not that good anyway

>hating Rokka
>loving Horizon

You're the one with shit taste here m8

Well specify m8

Classes exist in plenty of settings and shows without being rigid GAMU shit

>Normal mode was supposed to be stuff that's not that good anyway

Rokka is the best out of all that.

> Pay 10 silver and a few weeks of study to literally restore wounds, heal life force and throw fucking magical missiles around like candy corn
> For some reason every single person doesn't do this.

What sort of lousy schooling do these fantasy settings have where they can't literally spend a cold winter indoors to learn half a dozen amazing world changing skills?

Most editions of Runequest sort of punish you for not pigeonholing yourself into a "class" anyway.

If you ever play a long game you usually end up just getting better at the stuff you were already good at because why use skills that you're shit at? Especially when you've got a buddy who usually already covering it for you.

No game ever really escapes character specialization.

/Thread

bravo user