How did we go from this

How did we go from this

To this?

IBO is better though.

Tomino fucked off so we got something coherent.

Tomino anime has just gone downhill since Xabungle.

Nothing he will ever do will top it.

based OKADA that's why

Takahashi anime > Tomino anime

Gundam needed a good director and writer.

>Okada
>Good director

Trump pls

>okada
>director

Hiring some competent writers and directors does wonders. Even fucking Okada was able to write something better than G-Recto, that's how terrible senile Tomino is.

Having Eureka 7's character designer seemed so quaint at the time.

both have pretty bad situations, but I think G-reco is above IBO just for production values alone.
IBO looks like it was drawn in a 12-year old pixiv artist's basement

I really liked reco. Mostly because it looks nice though.

And G-Reco looks like it was written by an autistic 5 year old kid with downs. In the end writing > art.

Movie when?

Sup Bizarro?

Turn A topped it

Found the retard

The only major fault with G reco is the writing.

>B-but pay attention you retard
I know the plot. That doesn't mean throwing entire factions worth of characters at you at one time, glossing over their faction's ideology and goals, and then putting them into conflict with the protagonists, is good writing.

>The only major fault with G reco is the writing.
Found the retard

you mean from complete and utter piece of shit to something that's at least watchable?
easy, there's no tomino

Okada isn't a director, you fucking faggot.

to this

Is this the thread where we pretend Build Fighters Try didn't exist?

>throwing entire factions worth of characters at you at one time
Every Gundam anime since Zeta has done this
>glossing over their faction's ideology and goals
The Towgaians want to reclaim Earth, the Americans and Capital Guard want to stop them while also plotting a cease of the tower themselves in the middle of all the is the Megaflauna who are trying to prevent a war from happening. OH MY GOD THIS IS SO CONFUSING AND POORLY WRITTEN

How did we go from this

To this?

Tomino isn't writing IBO so they don't need flashy lights to distract from horrible writing.

to this

G-Reco is an anime for intellectuals.

Eureka? Is that you?

>g-retard

i personally prefer turn-A, but yeah older tomino was better even if he unfortunately was worse as a director.

G-Reco was flawed but good. King Gainer is also good

G-reco gets alot of flack for its haphazardly written plot. But honestly the real reason G-reco failed to find an audience is just how fucking terrible Bellri is as a protagonist, the guy is a downright sociopath largely responsible for countless deaths mosly at his own hand and he seems to have such a massive disconnect from it nor ever gets any real karma for his actions that the entire story feels trapped in one of the worst tonal dissonances in the franchise. If they made aida the protagonist with bellri outright being left out of the plot alltogether i guarentee you the show would of been much better recieved and she as a character would of had to actually improve over the course of the series rather than just be a worthless backdrop for bellri to bail out every 5 seconds.

I still cant decide between bellri or kou for worst gundam protagonist, i think bellri is more likley worse since kou was just a retard but bellri would of been the antagonist in any other series yet is paraded around as the hero somehow.

I only watched Reco for the nee-san.

Will I have to deal with

ADULTS DON'T UNDERSTAND
MUH MEN AND WOMEN

And other shit like that if I watch G Reco? Tomino annoys me with that garbage

so you're saying that there is nothing to distract from the horrible writing

>G-Reco looks like it was written by an autistic 5 year old kid with downs

I really enjoyed G-reco's childish look.

It didn't try to hide the fact that it was a mecha show under something pretentious and the atmosphere created by this choice in art direction gave me a "comfy" feeling for loss of a better word

One thing that really made it stand out to me besides its use of color was the way lines were drawn.
I don't know how this was achieved, but it gave this effect of a classic 70s-80s hand drawn anime which was something that made it seem even more nostalgic and unique.

Yoshida's character designs were also perfect for it because of how he takes into account personality when he illustrates characters.
This along with his fluid poses created a very upbringing atmosphere.

IBO on the other hand has a very mundane animaiton style, it's not bad, but it's not anything that sticks out from gundam, or any other anime in general.

However I like how it did subtle things to indicate weight of the Mobile suits, or the texture of the metal.

Sadly this quality wasn't consistent throughout the show and so when it does appear it's over shadowed by its faults

1/2

a little bit of the first one, the second one not so much.
the main problem with g-reco is the fast paced plot with no exposition which shouldn't be an issue but tomino's autistic writing makes it pretty hard to follow on the first go through

I think its beyond that actually, everyone in this shows acts like children, it's impossible to take anything seriously Most of the dialogue is about characters explaining the plot to each other, and the nnew plot points appears on a regular basis like it was written an hour ago. The rushed and weird ending shows how aimless this show was, for me it's about Brain Powerd level of bad.
If Tomino had a co-director to fix his shit it would have been AOTY, now it's probably the quickest forgotten Gundam show alongside AGE

G-Reco animation > IBO animation
G-Reco storty

I got that impression about Bellringer too. He's so easygoing he changes faction at the drop of a hat and kills several of his old cpmrades. Why should I sympathise with him feeling sad over killing his own instructor when he's a descendent of Lt-Col Nicholson?

you'll mainly have to deal with brain damaged characters

>G-Reco looks like it was written by an autistic 5 year old kid
And he managed to write something better than 90% of what anime produces.

>"people" actually believe this

I drop IBO around episode 20. Should I bother picking it back up?

Design > Animation

Japanese anime is all about cool designs, not fluid animation which would be Disney's thing.
IBO's choice for kinetic weaponns makes it stand out among most of recent Gundam entries, if not all.
G-Reco is obviously better animated (it's not even the same studio actually) but I don't think the fights themselves are that memorable. The most innovative thing G-Reco has done is the MC poop into his Gundam and drenching his cockpit in dung smell.

>He's so easygoing he changes faction at the drop of a hat and kills several of his old cpmrades
i remember this being what made me drop the show. there was a lot of other shit i had issues with but that is what sealed it for me.
i didn't look much further into it either, never gave it another chance. the entire series just screamed incompetence to me.

save for the animation by itself, it was just amateurish garbage. they can't even put together consistent scenes, or characters that make sense,why should i watch this shit?

but apparently it (the bellri thing) makes sense in the minds of g-rektumfags.

why would you drop it after so much time put in

>In the end writing > art.

I think both shows had pretty good starting episodes, but G-reco's pace turns for the worse around episodes 7-10 while IBO's happened a bit earlier around the 5-8 episodes.

I liked IBO's premise and it seemed like we were finally going to get something really interesting this time.

The show characterized Mika as a disturbed child who's temperament was the result of the conditions on mars, but it never really expanded on this or went on to develop him the way 00 did for Setsuna, or Victory did for Uso.
Instead things are ignored and Mika's character just becomes more of a plot device as the story goes on.

I do think Orga has had a bit of development, but it does not seem to have enough depth to consider him as a main character.

If anything the first season was way too focused on Kudelia than it needed to be, and I think it overshadowed a lot of other plotlines that needed more development such as Orga and Mika's relationship.

Also the overall plot felt really dragged out, and things like the brewers,Naze's introduction,Carta's arc, or the colony could've been dropped or paced differently for a better effect.

One thing that really put me off was just how nonthreatening everything seemed. There weren't any narrative stakes or any major threats to the protagonists to make me seriously invested in seeing them succeed. Like, when they're "captured", their captors basically just let them wander around and do whatever the fuck they want, and will actually just hand over super advanced prototype mobile suits to the enemy for no real reason other than they asked nicely.

Also way too many fucking factions and characters with initially unclear motives which just further jumbled up the story.

It's about time you go to bed, Tomino.

>Design > Animation
G-Reco has better mech and particularly character designs than IBO, though.
>Japanese anime is all about cool designs, not fluid animation which would be Disney's thing.
This is a silly argument, anyway. You're not really going to tell everyone who cares about animation in their anime that that's dumb because Disney has higher fps, are you?

Whats craziest is all the problems G-Reco had IBO did the exact opposite to the point it was a problem itself

I kind of like the IBO protagonists more because they have much clearer motives over Bellri and his crew.

Also, unlike 90% of gundam protags, they're not afraid of totally wasting a dude if he looks at them the wrong way. Plus, the fact that they're teaming up with Chocolate Pedo is something I'm genuinely interested in seeing play out.

if you're interested to see where this whole thing is going, sure. but the end of S1 wasn't very good, i'll say that much.

personally i'm curious to see what they'll do with the orphans theme in the end.

Its the pacing the writing is good

Now on Reco's side I think we had a story that was more focused on presenting its themes and exploring the world, rather than developing its characters.

Instead of having the show revolve around its MC, Reco showed the world he was living in,and developed it as he was traversing through it while letting characters take the backseat.

This isn't to say it completely abandoned the concept of character development.

Most of the main cast was developed, but because of the breakneck pacing of the show someone on the staff decided it would be best to do this by spreading character defining scenes throughout conversations, and background interactions.

I liked and hated this method because it felt very jarring to watch weekly and if you didn't marathon the series you could forget a scene in one episode that was supposed to foreshadow something in later episodes.

However I really appreciate what it tried to do. In real life we don't learn other people's personalities through exposition dumps or dramatic scenes, we do it by observing small things in their conversations and interactions with us daily.

I really applaud Reco for trying this, but in a weekly anime it's gonna confuse the shit outta people and this is the main reason that Reco's pacing messed up the character development.

(IBO actually did the same thing but dropped it after the first 5 or 6 episodes and I loved how it did that, I can literally write a paragraph about Ride Mass right not but I digress)
3/?

>if you're interested to see where this whole thing is going, sure. but the end of S1 wasn't very good, i'll say that much.

The S1 ending was a pretty obvious lead in for S2. It would probably work better if you binge it with a few of the early S2 episodes.

I've been watching Xabungle (finished episode 3 a few days ago) and I'm loving it so far.

I thought you were going to post Bellri taking a dump in the cockpit/toilet.

>I don't understand a show
>It must be the show's fault
>All these people who did understand it are fucking lying

Because he hadn't killed anyone prior to killing his instructor?

>I kind of like the IBO protagonists more because they have much clearer motives over Bellri and his crew.
They're clearer because they're incredibly one-dimensional and poorly developed
>Also, unlike 90% of gundam protags, they're not afraid of totally wasting a dude if he looks at them the wrong way
Yet they're completely unremarkable as characters so who gives a shit if they kill someone who cares? Also most Gundam protags don't have a problem with killing people that's the whole basis of the development which the cast of IBO is severely lacking.

So this is how retards think.

Only in terms of suckitude

>Typical Recofag response.

classic recturd

yes.

otherwise explain bellris actions to me.
to me it seems like people who didn't see an issue with this just turned a blind eye to it.

admittedly you have to be brain damaged to understand brain damaged characters, so maybe it's that.

I don't get why Recofags feel this compulsive need to compare themselves to literally every other Gundam series constantly, as if it will make G-Reco any more relevant.

Go back to ANN
Watch Ein Graze, then drop it again

>they're not afraid of totally wasting a dude if he looks at them the wrong way.
That's not a good thing, remember that gundam is a kid show in Japan despite the content. This is especially bad when the main protagonists help legit terrorists and ally themselves with their own enemy over money.

Now to get back at its themes, G-Reco was pretty successful here in my opinion and this is probably where I'd say it shines the most. On the surface I at first thought it's the typical Tomino "Adults are shit, Kids will be the future" story.

But then an user brought to my attention what some of its subplots mean from a Japanese perspective and how it's supposed to relate to one of their current political issues.

To sum it up Japan is divided between people who want to re-militarize (This is also a goal of Shinzo Abe, their prime minister) and those who think that this is a very bad idea, and this all stems from stuff that happened at the end of WWII.

Now for those who've seen G-reco you might start to see the parallels, but to spell it out:

Capital Army = pro-militarization
Cumpa = Shinzo Abe

Bellri & friends = Anti-militarization

The SU-Cordist religion and it's taboos can be seen as a representation of the limits put on Japan to prevent re-militarization.

And the "Kuntala" are literally an analogy for Jews I wanna say they could also represent Japan's past war crimes, but you and I know they'd never admit that in any way shape or form

The other factions contain different aspects of Japan's relations with foreign countries.

While these ideas were all packed into G-reco the show failed to get the same reception abroad because a the concepts it was trying to talk about were not going to come across internationally at all unless you were Japanese, or heavily invested in their culture.

4/4

Tl;dr The main reason I liked Reco aside from production values was how it chose to go about its story,and its choice to focus on themes that can only be understood by viewers under a certain context. I feel like you don't really see often in anime.

P.S. This isn't the first time this has occurred either, recently Shin Godzilla did a similar thing by relating to Japanese concerns with earthquakes,natural disasters and Nuclear energy.

>to me it seems like people who didn't see an issue with this just turned a blind eye to it.
Believe it or not a lot of people aren't stupid like you

so you can't. gotcha

>They're clearer because they're incredibly one-dimensional and poorly developed

You could accuse ANY gundam protag of this. But it doesn't counter the fact that Tekkadan has very clear goals (to become a fully independent PMC capable of protecting itself), that make it easy to get invested in their struggle to the top.

I for the life of me still can't figure out why Bellri got involved in the whole war other than he thought it would be the cool thing to do.

>Yet they're completely unremarkable as characters so who gives a shit if they kill someone who cares? Also most Gundam protags don't have a problem with killing people that's the whole basis of the development which the cast of IBO is severely lacking.

The past trend of gundam protags we had were absolute pacifists and UNDERSTANDINGfags like literally every body in AGE and completely psychopaths in the case of Bellri. It's nice to see protags who are completely pragmatic about it.

Gundam has been complete shit since the original ended

>That's not a good thing, remember that gundam is a kid show in Japan despite the content. This is especially bad when the main protagonists help legit terrorists and ally themselves with their own enemy over money.

Except... that's all the stuff that's made them more compelling than the previous moralfag protags.

And Gundam has always been a WAR STORY. Every iteration has had bad shit happen in it. Remember Gundam Wing? All the protags started off as literal terrorists. Original Gundam? Starts off with literal genocide. Etc.

First off, when did he ever change factions? He was pretty much under the Capital Guard flag the entire time. He allied with the Megafauna pirates and Ameria after the Capital Army usurped control due to their increasing taboo breaking, and then both sides temporarily allied when the moon forces appeared.

There's not much to talk about G-Reco actually. I've seen people who are diehard fans of Tomino, who sat through garbage like Ideon, L-Gaim and Brain Powerd, and they gave up on G-Reco after 4 episodes because of how dumb it is.
I'm actually pretty sure most G-Recofags in these threads didn't watch the show or didn't really understood it, they're mostly shitposters, that's whey they alaways have the same "arguments"
>You're a retard
>IBO is shit
>Stick to A/Z

G-Reco is not only a show with autistic characters,it's a show that litterally made people autistic.

>You could accuse ANY gundam protag of this
Only the bad ones. I think even someone like Kira garner more discussion than Mika.
>But it doesn't counter the fact that Tekkadan has very clear goals
Who gives a shit? Most Gundam characters have clear motives that are spelled out to you when you first meet them, that should not be a point worth addressing that should just be natural
>I for the life of me still can't figure out why Bellri got involved in the whole war other than he thought it would be the cool thing to do.
Then you're a fucking dumbass. Bellri's whole journey through G-Reco was finding out that the world is different from his point of view as Aida stated "The world is not square". He initially only ever wanted to join Aida to spy on her for the Capital Guard but then grew to understand her goal more through their journey as well as his own lineage and the world as it is hence why by the end of the show he decides to depart on a trip across the world to discover more to it.

>The past trend of gundam protags we had were absolute pacifists and UNDERSTANDINGfags like literally every body in AGE
The only pacifistic Gundam leads were Loran, Kira and Kio. Second Flit wanted to compete fucking genocide only his shitty grandkid wanted UNDERSTANDING.

> completely psychopaths in the case of Bellri.
All the more ironic that you're defnidng teh cast of IBO
>Except... that's all the stuff that's made them more compelling than the previous moralfag protags.
But the cast aren't compelling, you just like them because they're edgy and despite all that bullshit none of them actually do anything that's apprehensive since they people that wind up dying by their hands just happen to be even worse or just plain stupid. IBO is the type a show that wants to be moral gray but doesn't want their characters to do anything bad because that's not good for marketing.

Bellri is reactionary, he ends up in situations and has to adapt.

For the first arc when he's stuck on Megafuana he decides to help them out, because he still felt guilty for killing Aida's boyfriend.
But he also has an underlying motive that is actually spying on them while trying to escape with Noredo and Raraiya.

He later on kills his instructor and deals with a bit of guilt due to that, and continues to hesitate to kill throughout the series.

Throughout G-reco Tomino often tries not to kill off grunts, instead he shows them crashing their crafts while coming out of the wreckage alive. This is something he's been doing for a while and it's a little quirk of his that's fun to pick up on

But his motivations change later on when he starts doubting the legitimacy of the Capital Army/Guard and the SU-cordists as he's show the reality of his world.

I forgot the rest, but his is the basics to it, just a boy getting redpilled on the world.

>but doesn't want their characters to do anything bad

I'm watching episode 9 right now and it seems fantastical that they thought they could just waltz right in to the inner sanctum because everyone was off for the weekend.

I don't have an issue with the lack of exposition - I like a show that doesn't patronise us with info dumps and trusts us to pick it up as we go - But G-Reco's prpblem storywise is that it wants to have its cake and eat it. A bright colourful carefree space adventure - with civil war, political machination and death and destruction. Ultimately it falls between two stools.

The Kuntalans make our heroes look like assholes. They're just fighting to gain more acceptance and end the prejudice against their kind - they're not anragonists, they're the Tuskegee airmen - yet poor Mask and his men are getting slaughtered by Bellri and hisagurlfriend's buddies.

Bitch please, IBO's final act was garbage. Ein was a shallow final antagonist who was only there to create an enemy that Mika needs to face off for the sake of concluding the season. Not only that, his characterization sucked, it was only an obsessive revenge for his master.
It was the antithesis of G-reco but instead of being rushed, the plot is fucking stretched to oblivion with boring slice of life segments, early on these segments were endearing, like Eugine and his buddy visiting that brothel, or Orga trying to get leadership tips from that one polygamist space mobster.

But by the second half it's just so boring, and the villains/antagonists are so one dimensional, the BDSM looking asshole who had Gut's brother held hostage as well as the other ship commander were just scumbags because we need the viewer to hate them. The character design wasn't my cup of tea, neither was the mecha design (I only love the Graze units, Barbados sucks).

G-reco is colorful, beautiful mecha and character designs, animation too. And even if they cram as much into every episode making some characters less human by using their dialogue for world exposition, they had interesting personalities.

it was the best

Even if Greco has majot flaws in how it tells its story and world building cramming as much information as possible it had aspiration. It tried to do something new, it was executed awkwardly, and it alienated a lot of people.

Iron Blooded Orphans is badly animated and the plot is not anything to be happy about. Most people who defend IBO say "at least it's better than greco" but the anime is very average as hell. It doesn't even try to push past the boundaries of what is a Gundam show. Just save yourself the time and watch 8th MS Team and Thunderbolt if you want ruthless warfare.

It really doesn't stand out though. All that kinetic means is rather than having lazers miss you can have bullets being ineffective, regardless of if they hit or not.

>one entire episode just to teach Mikazuki how to write

Dropped at episode 15, even a Slice of Life has more action going on than this shit.

>It doesn't even try to push past the boundaries of what is a Gundam show.
try watching the 2nd season. they keep going further with their themes. they're literally the space mafia now.

The last 8 episodes of the 1st season were so bad I don't know whether I should pick up this new season or just try to get into the original first few Gundam shows minus ZZ

At least after I culture myself with the U.C. gundam I can start watching Unicorn, looks beautiful and sounds amazing from what I've seen in the webm's

2nd season is solid so far. things are progressing fast as well.
i imagine the'll drop the ball eventually again but right now i'm curious to see where this'll all lead to.

The problem with Bellri is that he made giant decisions on a whim. Ultimately his decisions would have made sense if he had discussed it with everyone and explained his thinking/rationale. Moreover, you're left questioning if you heard him right when he casually decides that his entire crew (which he isn't the captain of) should go to the forbidden source of batteries no one has been to in 1,000 years because he is curious about whats going on. He isn't even portrayed as crazy or making a large decision; everyone just casually accepts it as if hes suggesting they stop at McDonalds on the way home.

That was the biggest issue with G-Reco. It felt like it was comitted to making the characters seem retarded, especially Bellri. It was so completely unnatural. It was as if everyone was playing a video game with little/no actual concern for the weight behind their actions.

In contrast to IBO, where Orga (the captain) is discussing what to do next with other characters and expressing uncertainty, even when its an issue as simple as: "how to run my business". Bellri is committing heretical actions while carrying the flag of entire nations and he does so without any sense of concern.

Wow people who hate G-Reco really are stupid