Why is it that for every serious fantasy series like Goblin Slayer...

Why is it that for every serious fantasy series like Goblin Slayer, ther'es like 10 fantasy series where the MC is a highschool kid with a super special power and he instantly gets a love interest/harem in the first arc? And like 8 of them are isekai shit where the MC is either the most powerful charater in the setting or one of the most powerful?

Because quantity has a quality of its own

Japs really liked Ultima

i thought they liked dragon quest and final fantasy more

The fact that Goblin Slayer is what passes for a "serious fantasy series" over there should tell you enough.

stay mad EOP.

See, you're just assuming shit.

See first post.

how is it not serious?

dragon quest and final fantasy's sales figures in japan are widely known. they massively outsold ultima in japan

its bait n switch: the mango
serious my balls
I still read it tho, like the char design and GS armor

Because those are still better than Goblin Slayer.

how is it bait and switch?

>Goblin Slayer
>serious

It's about as serious as a Friday the 13th movie.
It's schlock.

Pretty much.

>ther'es like 10 fantasy series where the MC is a highschool kid with a super special power and he instantly gets a love interest/harem int he first arc
Why are you asking us? Go to /lit/ or something, they're the ones who started it. Unless you seriously think "teenaged chosen one with a convenient love interest for a female lead" is only a common fantasy device in manga/anime.

>go and ask /lit/
>thread gets deleted and you get banned for being "off topic"

Goblin Slayer is completely irrelevant to the general question being asked, user. It's only there so he can have his shitposting thread on Sup Forums.

What would you do in this situation?

Cast magic missile

RIP N TEAR

the thread is about serious fatasy manga dude

>ther'es like 10 fantasy series where the MC is a highschool kid with a super special power and he instantly gets a love interest/harem in the first arc?

This is the majority of anime, if you ignore the fantasy part.

You did a terrible job of starting it off, then.

not really. police detective series usually dont have a highschool kid with a super special power as the MC for obvious reasons. it really varies by genre.

Girls are for raping, not killing.

I wish I was a higschool kid MC with a super special power and instantly get a love interest/harem in the first arc

huh? you lost me

>tho
>no punctuation

It's best to ignore children.

says the one replying to bait

I'm not sure that would offset being forced to live in Japan to gather powers

I just want to be special

What's the name of that one ridicules series where he dies in a plane crash and reborn as a saccubi's son?

>saccubi
what?

This is a masterpiece

Serious fantasy, especially with gore and death, is very hard to pull off well and usually ends up worse. Happy, idealized fantasy brings in workers who want to relax after getting enough horror during the day, and self insert fags. Those are lucrative audiences.

Mysteries with high school protagonists outnumber adult detective series. Detective Conan, too.

then why do serious fantasy series like berserk sell way more than self insert fantasy?

He said it was hard to pull off well, not that it was impossible

Is magic really weak in the goblin slayer setting? The sorcerress girl was a famous graduate and could only cast firebolt like 2 or 3 times. That doesnt help at all in a dungeon.

>then why do serious fantasy series like berserk sell way more than self insert fantasy?
They don't? I can think of a small handful of really top-selling "serious" fantasy (like people have said, if GS qualifies then you basically just mean dark/edgy), which are easily equaled or exceeded in number by fairly non-serious stuff like InuYasha, Dragon Quest, 3x3 Eyes, etc., and that's even excluding battle shounen like OP and Naruto, which are pretty clearly fantasy even if we pretend they aren't.

Magic is strong, she just got to full of herself and never experienced real combat, plus the team was trash.

serious doesnt mean dark/edgy. GS deals with realistic themes and consequences for the characters actions...this is shown in the first arc when newbie adventurers charged in without a plan and got killed.

The fact that they got killed isnt edgy, its just a realistic consequence of their action. Same thing happens in war when a officer orders something stupid.

Edgy is more like someone going out and just committing mass murder/rape/etc for no clear reason other than to be a bad guy. Garou from one punch man is a good example of an edgy character, he literally goes out and attacks heroes who are minding their own business because he wants everyone to recognize him as a monster.

>it's another Sup Forums thread on Sup Forums

>manga discussion
>Sup Forums

>serious fantasy series like Goblin Slayer
Hahaha. Good one, OP.

what's that one vending machine isekai again

but it is a serious one with serious themes.

The MC analyzed the goblin's strategy and used traps, ambushes and diversions to kill them with minimal risk to himself. He also stops using his sword because it is coated in blood and fat, which is a detail that you almost never see in manga.

Not even berserk has swords losing effectiveness due to blood/fat. Everyone in it just keeps cutting forever.

The typical shounen manga MC would have simply walked in there and killed them all effortlessly with his amazing sword skills. None of the girls would have died or been raped either, because you cant have that happening to cute girls in a shounen manga (totally ok for the guy to die though). Then the MC would have formed a harem with the surviving girls.

Anything that doesn't involve cute girls squeeing and kissing each other and then eating sweets is "edgy".

>never seen this before
>read all six chapters
>it's fucking Dark Souls and the protag is Judge Dredd

Thanks, OP

aside from the helmet and ganking mobs it is nothing similar to dark souls

>Judge Dredd
It's more Doomguy, with goblins.

>enemies, even weak ones, can fucking murder you if you're not careful
>noobs get fucking annhilated
>caution, preparation and pragmatism are rewarded
>wizards and swords and shit

No, I'm sticking with that. Fuck you.

>serious fantasy series like Goblin Slayer

You'd be surprised.

Goblins Slayer is a deconstruction of the goblin slaying genre

Re: Monster is the deconstruction of the Goblin genre.

t. shitter

Light Novel shit is all gay nigger aids

Who piss on your cereal this morning, user?

Goblins

sister friede

Marco.

We need more disemboweled males.
Author sticking to torturing females is a desperate attempt to attract attention.
Fucking hell, even horror B-movies don't stick to just girls in the dismemberment department.

Also, my experiences in /tg/ opened my eyes about how much of a "shitty GM replay" this series is. The entire thing was because the male god was buttfrustrated and decided to pump haxx into the goblin population. How could anyone take that backstory seriously?

Ciao ciao, Marco!

>We need more disemboweled males.
Self instert fags wouldn't be able to handle it.

That's at least as serious as what went on in ancient Greek myths.

That one guy in chapter 1 got disemboweled real good.

In Goblin Slayer we tend to see the goblin hives after they've already occupied a place and killed all the men. The only reason the women are still alive is the goblins need something to fuck.

No shits given.
Hell, I've already lost interest when they refused to see what happened of the hot-blooded adventurer despite showing the Female Mage in agony. There's a clear misuse of tension here.

Now that you mentioned it, nope. GS can't hold a candle to Greek "slicing open Zeus' head giving birth to Athena" mythology.
Greek myth in its brutal glory fucking never.

>no supporting evidence

>typical shounen manga
>harem

user they showed what happened to him. he got stabbed to death.

The female adventurer had a different role and that was to show goblin poison.

> Not even berserk
You say this as though Berserk is realistic and not about a dude swinging around a 200kg sword at high speeds.

haven't you heard? shounen battle harems have eclipsed traditional harems in popularity.

No whole body though. We got to see the Female Mage's throat slashed.

Will this get an anime? It looks so good but I don't read manga. Is it worth it?

Everything will get an anime if the publishers want it.

Reading manga is like watching anime except you don't waste as much time

yea, but consider the timing. The scene was following a format of backstory -> killed by goblins like a little bitch -> next character.

The sorceress girl was the first one ambushed so got more screen time and was probably to show that her magic wasnt that strong since all she could do was cast firebolt once before getting swamped.

Sword guy was shown swinging like an idiot before getting his sword stuck and stabbed to death. Monk girl put up a better fight before the hob goblin showed up and then she was taken out in one hit.

The scene really captured the whole "these guys have no idea what they are doing and they don't even get dramatic deaths" message.

What i find confusing is that if goblins are so dangerous...and if porcelain adventurers usually get wiped out by goblins when starting out...why do veteran adventurers think that goblins are easy? Surely they themselves fought goblins when they were porcelain adventurers and should know how dangerous they are?

Isn't GS just a 1v1 DnD game of Fantasy(Player) vs Reality(GM)?

This. And you could never feel not pandered since there is so much shit.

how did you come to that conclusion?

Genuine spoilers, yo

This is literally in the light novel. Fantasy keeps fumbling her rolls, which is why the starting female adventurers all die. Reality laughs at her face until something unexpected happens. The gods are playing "dice-based board games to decide which gods (3 light, 3 dark) will rule the real world.

>The scene was following a format of backstory -> killed by goblins like a little bitch -> next character.

This bit right here is actually Fantasy getting fucked by RNG-sama and she's trying really hard not to cry because she has to make new character sheets and hope she rolls good.

So is the entire LN written like that? That sounds neat.

I call haxx. No, seriously. I've mentioned earlier that the only reason the gobs were smarter and more eager to reproduce is because of literal divine intervention. The only way to deal with this is for the Male God to be dealt with. Of course, since this is the Gobslayer we're talking about, he won't take the issue to the cause of it all, unless if he suddenly because dyslexic.

In addition to this, she though she had a good thing going and was real confident her characters had decent stats. Remember how the mage was an honor student? Or how in the recent chapter regarding the Cleric's new wall spell? In her mind, she questions why the Goddess gave her that spell? Fantasy probably spent her skill points on it or some shit.

It's not. It's written like a generic Light Novel. We just get 2 VERY short chapters telling us (without any actual dialogue), that there are bigger things at work in the background.

The Goblin Slayer himself seems to be an "illegal piece" or an NPC that moves in accordance to its own will. Or at least, that's my theory. Fantasy was supposed to party wipe, but it's implied GS threw himself onto the table and started slaying gobs.

>why does self-inserting exists

Just to let you guys know I'm not bullshitting, here's the Japanese Light Novel's cover. Pay attention to the stuff underneath the title.

>he doesn't let anyone roll the dice
What did he mean by this?

So do the gods just roll up their stats or do they also dictate their actions like player characters?

Cover vol 4 is out.

>literally

fucking kek

>implying Goblin Slayer doesn't have a harem of priestess, elf, cow tits, and guild girl

Are the light novels better than the manga? How do they compare?

He's a dice hog. Never invite him to your DnD party

They roll their stats. The Female Mage was probably a lucky one, but she rolled a 1 on perception constantly. How much control of their players they have, I can't tell you yet. I want to believe that she's simply able to guide their actions.

It's kinda like Monster Girl Quest's Illia vs Alice. Goddess (Guidance) vs Demon Lord (Evolution=/=Mutation).

Everyone's a play thing of the gods. Maybe it means he refuses to be manipulated? There are no strings on the GS. My only proof is both Reality and Fantasy freaking out that he crawled into the game. A victim of Reality's goblin fetish.

so is goblin slayer a DM PC

I'll let you know this December

It really isn't. Harem genre is pretty much dead outside of LN's.

Quite generic writing style. The "women getting gobbed" scenes are more descriptive and thus more depressing.

>Everyone's a play thing of the gods. Maybe it means he refuses to be manipulated? There are no strings on the GS.
Maybe him having PTSD makes him immune to the Gods schemes.